No announcement yet.

Bible Handout thread weekly updates *merged*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I have anything, it's just a willingness to go and be used.

I share all this because I know people wonder if they can do what God calls them to do. If God can use a crippled blind man in a wheelchair; and a crazy woman with brain damage - neither even able to drive - He can, will, and should absolutely use you for whatever He's got planned.

My aunt and uncle adopted several abused kids.

My other aunt is an unofficial social worker.

My Dad works with homeless addicts.

God has something for each of us, we just need to seek His will on it. I was led to start doing this about a month after I really committed to prayer, Bible study, and seeking God's will for my life.

God gets the credit. I just work for love.

It will be fun to see "who made it". I LOVE that I have no idea if even one person has been saved. I'm glad because, like everyone else, I have pride issues, and if the number got up there (maybe it has, maybe it hasn't) I would become arrogant, proud, and useless. This way it's all just a big surprise.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Comment

• Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post
      If I have anything, it's just a willingness to go and be used.

It will be fun to see "who made it". I LOVE that I have no idea if even one person has been saved. I'm glad because, like everyone else, I have pride issues, and if the number got up there (maybe it has, maybe it hasn't) I would become arrogant, proud, and useless. This way it's all just a big surprise.
      Great attitude!
      sigpic
      -Lynn

Comment

I store all my Bibles, in their boxes, on an industrial rack I keep in my living room. It's the first thing you see when I open the door. I also keep the Bible crate, a collapsible "milk crate" sized receptacle, on the rack as well, empty.

Well, I had been storing it with the Bible bag and my safety vest, on the rack. My elderly cat, Torbie, liked to sleep in it. You'll see why this matters.

You may or may not know they had a fatal shooting in 5th Ward, a "bad" neighborhood in NE Houston, not far from downtown. A car was sprayed with bullets, a man died, two days ago. While watching coverage of the event, I realized the corner had a "perfect" median for a Bible Handout, not to mention a clear need.

I have wanted to "work" the 5th ward, in part because my husband grew up there and it's pretty grim. I can always tell a bad neighborhood when the poor gas station clerk is locked in a Plexiglas cage, making change through a small hole in the counter. It looked like that kind of spot.

I was right, the corner was surrounded by boarded-up, dilapidated houses. Open ditches full of trash. The gas station clerk worked out of a cage, and I had some unexpected excitement.

First, though, I had to make the trip. I was very excited to see they had a Burger King.

Everyone, I think, had a childhood hamburger restaurant. The place you went with your friends, full of happy memories. Mine is Burger King. Ron, too.

Once Ron heard about the BK he was totally on board. One time, I had the easiest time ever getting him to church because they had a BK in the parking lot! Sadly, that church had to move.

I set up the Bibles, a case of easy-to-read (large print), a case of kid Bibles (large print and easy to read, with pictures), 30-some ESV New Testaments, and assorted whole, nice, KJV Bibles. All told, I had 124.

Most of them crammed into Torbie's folding crate, the rest into the bag, and the kid Bibles stayed in their cardboard case.

I got out our battered old wheelchair. Ron sits in the wheelchair, holding the small sign, while I work. He also holds the crate on the handles of the wheelchair while I'm pushing it from our drop off location to the handout location.

We got the address, 3009 Collingsworth, and sure enough Ron's old zip code. Definitely 5th ward, also known as "The Bloody Fifth". When I did a news article search on 5th ward shootings I got plenty.

Ron made the trip, giving us about an hour and a half. One hour to work, half an hour to eat hamburgers.

I am also very partial to a bag of Queso chips after a Bible Handout.

Our ride arrived on time and was very nice. I gave her two Bibles, one for her, one for her daughter.

I got Ron settled in the wheelchair and put the Bibles across the handles (the crate is wider than the handles, so Ron just has to balance them, but it looks horribly abusive). I pushed him across the street (I had seen on Google maps, nice ramps, concrete median).

"This would be hell" I told Ron, surrounded by concrete "In the summer. Hot." He agreed. He loves the median, though, easy travel and safe to sit.

My last handout, at Rankin and Ella, had huge fire ant mounds everywhere. I felt like I was working a minefield!

I put up the sign and immediately handed out two to an older, stressed looking gentleman. Then a lady wanted Spanish, but I didn't have it in the bag. "Come back!" I begged. "I have them right there!" I pointed.

Then I got some Spanish and put them in my bag!

I kept working. One lady asked for large print in a tone that indicated she did NOT expect it. "How many?" I handed her the easy-to-reads.

I LOVE having a good stash. The right tool for every recipient. I handed out the KJV first, and they were very popular. They were various colors, nice softcover, fake leather, helps, words of Christ in red, kind of Bible. People were nicely surprised they were getting "nice" Bibles. One lady told me her Bible was falling apart and she'd been thinking about a new one.

I had a couple people tried to give me money. I never accept cash during a handout. I have the Go Fund me for that. I just tell the recipients "I have friends on the internet who buy the Bibles." True enough, but I buy plenty too.

I really want some Bible promise books, for instance, they are great to hand out everyday.

Anyway. I didn't take any money, which as it turns out was a good thing.

"This is not as bad as Acres Homes" I told Ron. "Compared to that, this is Disneyland." The long median really reminded me of Veterans and Antoine, too.

Unlike Acres Homes and Bissonet, I didn't see any prostitutes. Unlike Acres Homes, I didn't see any drug dealers, but maybe they weren't up yet.

I often think it would be great to get a big map of Houston and put a pin in every corner where I've worked a Handout.

The Spanish lady came back, driving the other way, and got 2 Bibles. I was thrilled. I hate it when they don't come back.

I had some good traffic in Spanish. One guy told me he had a Bible, but when he saw I had Spanish he took it eagerly. Good. Two other Spanish guys wanted the King James. Well, God will help them with it!

Kid Bibles remained popular. "Do you have any kids/grandkids who'd like a kid Bible?" I gave most of them away.

One lady pulled up. I could tell she spoke Spanish. I held up two Bibles outside her open window. She stared at them intently for a minute or two and then took them.

I had plenty of ladies, alone in their cars, who were just delighted to get a Bible. Plenty also told me (men and women) they already had Bibles, but grinned in a way that told me they liked what I was doing.

Everyone (save one to be mentioned later) was very polite. No one "swatted" me away. They either wanted a Bible or they ignored me.

About this time I saw a man walking around. He was older, shabbily dressed, and on foot. He was accompanied by 3 dogs, running wild. One darted into the feeder road and I cringed, not wanting to see the poor thing hit by a car.

Like some of the other people I'd seen, he wandered around for a while, then he crossed the street partway at the end of the median, and walked up. Another man had done this and cut off to the right, before I could give him a Bible. I watched him as I worked, wondering if he wanted a Bible.

He came up, about 4 feet in front of me, standing with the crate of Bibles at his feet. His dog ran over and sniffed it, interestedly (remember the cat?).

Don't pee on the Bibles. I thought at the dog. Don't pee.

"How many would you like?" I asked cheerfully.

"I would like" he said precisely "For you to leave."

What?

"I want you to leave, now." he said, as though he had the authority, belied by his shabby clothes and loose mutts running around.

I forget if I asked him why or just told him no, flatly.

He then accused me of panhandling.

I never accept money. I told him with dignity. I don't need to beg. I am handing out Bibles, only, and only to people who want them.

"You need to leave" he repeated.

"Well" I told him, "I won't." He got angry. "Why don't you call the police and have them sort this out? I'm not touching the cars, impeding traffic, or accepting money. I have a perfect, legal, right, to stand here and hand out Bibles for as long as I'd like. If we call the police, by the way, YOU are going to get in trouble for those loose dogs!"

"Watch your tone" he said "Or those dogs might..."

Oh, nice, threatening to sic his dogs on me. They were all about 15 pound size, mixed breed terrier mixes and pretty harmless looking.

And he was a good boy, or girl, and didn't pee on the Bibles. The man looked like he'd like to, though.

"You watch" he said grimly "I'm calling the police."

"Go ahead" I told him calmly.

It is nice to be informed and know my legal rights. If I don't impede traffic, accept money, or touch the cars - if I work the median, public property - I have a complete legal right to evangelism.

Once he realized I knew that, he left. He sulked around for a while, waiting to see if I'd leave, and left himself after a couple minutes.

Good. I did not want to see one of those poor dogs hit by a car. And I'm not a dog person.

Ron theorizes he wanted the median for himself, to beg, using the dogs.

After that, things really accelerated. I wasn't getting a high volume of cars, I never did, but I was getting a high volume per car. People wanted 2-5 Bibles each.

Everyone has a family. As I told them "You know someone who needs this." They did, and they wanted a Bible for them, too.

Pretty soon our hour was up. We actually worked longer than an hour, I'm not sure how long, but we handed out 72 Bibles.

We went to the gas station. I paid the poor man in the cage and bought some Queso chips, then we went to Burger King.

They had some interesting characters in there, one of whom was discussing the shooting. "And I saw the Medical Examiner - he was gone just like that...." Ron and I started witnessing to him.

He helped us out of the store when our ride came, and I gave him a Bible. "All your answers are in here" I told him.

"Good" He said "I'm very interested in learning about God." I told him I would be praying and we loaded up, and came home.

Wow, the adventures that you have experienced in your evangelizing trips are so amazing & uplifting. I gather you have had many thus far with Our Lord by your side, all the seeds that are being planted, plus the timing for many, when they will be picking up those bibles as they go through difficult, painful situations & circumstances in their lives, they will be looking for answers, direction, comfort & love, they will all be there in His Word. God Bless you for your obedience & commitment, truly, for His Glory.

We Love Him Because He First Loved Us

1 John 4:19

Comment

If I have anything, it's just a willingness to go and be used.

I share all this because I know people wonder if they can do what God calls them to do. If God can use a crippled blind man in a wheelchair; and a crazy woman with brain damage - neither even able to drive - He can, will, and should absolutely use you for whatever He's got planned.

My aunt and uncle adopted several abused kids.

My other aunt is an unofficial social worker.

My Dad works with homeless addicts.

God has something for each of us, we just need to seek His will on it. I was led to start doing this about a month after I really committed to prayer, Bible study, and seeking God's will for my life.

Hey Acts, I think I told you this in another thread, but I'll tell you again. You are SUCH an encouragement to me!
          And your attitude about being glad you don't know who got saved is great! I agree! I wouldn't want to fall into pride while doing something for the Lord. Because our flesh certainly is weak! May HE get all the glory!

Yesterday I was a little more bold while passing out tracts. I started conversations with them first and then gave them the tracts. Several women graciously took them, and two older men refused. One of the men said that he already has salvation through his church. I asked which church and he said Catholic.
          I asked one of the ladies if she'll be able to make it to church for Easter. She said she'll probably go to church with her landlord who is Mormon. I explained a little about the roots of Mormonism and then she didn't seem too receptive.

I'm just praying that every word that I say when I offer tracts would be directed by God. I don't want it to be about me at all. But even after I type that I have to tell ya, my feelings got a little hurt when the men didn't want to take the tract. I had to remind myself that they weren't rejecting me they were rejecting Christ. And not only that but I truly believe that the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons have given people a bad taste in their mouth when it comes to people asking if they'd like to have some 'Christian' reading material. But I just want to say to them, "this isn't the twisted gospel that the false religions share....this is the Good News of Jesus Christ!"

I can pray for them though. They can't reject that since they don't know

Just thought I'd share my experience with ya...

Comment

• Oh, I experience a lot of rejection.

If 100 cars pass, 50 act like I don't exist, 40 get an attitude, 5 get hostile, and 5 want a Bible. That is NOT uncommon. I have been shouted at, cursed, barked at (??), told to leave, glared at, shooed off, and snarled at.

One time an atheist gave me a large soda on a hot day - funny how God used her in spite of her beliefs.

You know what I do? I tell them (to myself) That's OK. I accept you're not ready yet, but I'm still going to pray for you. And I do, every day.

I have very little time at the intersection to work, but one thing I have thought I'd do if I had a tract ministry, or something by the side of the road , is to ask "Do you have any prayer requests?" Start it like that and then offer a tract or Bible.

Some places even sell a pop-up "prayer" booth, which I find really cool. But a $3 laminated sign would do the trick, too.

Keep exploring, and God will hit you over the head with your ministry.

I find it absolutely hysterical that a "white girl" from a good neighborhood is called to work in the worst ghettoes, with gang members, drug dealing, and prostitutes. But here I am.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

Comment

• Barked at?? Maybe you should toss a 'beware of dog' sign at them. People can be so...odd.

That's pretty cool that the atheist was the one to give you a cold drink on a hot day too.

I was reading in the Mark Cahill book about acting like you're giving people surveys, and start asking questions about eternity and life after death. Maybe even have a clipboard too...Maybe if I Iook somewhat professional people will be more apt to take my 'survey'

Btw, even before I joined the forum I would read posts and threads, and I've always loved your signature line at the bottom that says something like, "I feel like engaging in some down and dirty evangelism! "

Comment

• Yup, I stole it from my journal. I wrote that the day I did my first handout.

Yeah, a carload of kids in a bad neighborhood "made the block" a couple times, barking as they passed me every time.

I've felt uneasy but never directly threatened. God seems to let them know I'm harmless.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

• One of my FB friends is having some Hard Times and has asked me to send him a Bible.

We have a lot in common, I think.

I am hoping to send him the right encouragement, along with the Bible.

I know, intellectually, God will be doing all the heavy lifting but I worry about screwing it up somehow.

I think the only way I could do that is by failing to send the Bible.

Anyway, prayers would be appreciated. I'm glad I still have a couple "nice" (fake leather bound purple) Bibles left.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

One of my FB friends is having some Hard Times and has asked me to send him a Bible.

I know, intellectually, God will be doing all the heavy lifting but I worry about screwing it up somehow.

Anyway, prayers would be appreciated. I'm glad I still have a couple "nice" (fake leather bound purple) Bibles left.
                    ing for your friend! That's cool that he asked for a bible. I'm sure God placed that desire in him.

Comment

• Comment

• Ron gave me some money for Lifeway.

I got a nice Bible promise book and some cards for my friend (I will of course send one card and distribute the others on handouts, in Bibles), and a couple cases of Bibles for the handouts.

Ron is happy to run me by the Post Office on Monday.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

Oh, I experience a lot of rejection.

If 100 cars pass, 50 act like I don't exist, 40 get an attitude, 5 get hostile, and 5 want a Bible. That is NOT uncommon. I have been shouted at, cursed, barked at (??), told to leave, glared at, shooed off, and snarled at.

One time an atheist gave me a large soda on a hot day - funny how God used her in spite of her beliefs.

You know what I do? I tell them (to myself) That's OK. I accept you're not ready yet, but I'm still going to pray for you. And I do, every day.
                          Thank you for posting this! Too often I imagine that God blesses other people's evangelism somehow so that they are converting lots, and I am a failure because of all the rejection!

You have such a great way of telling yourself that they just aren't ready yet. I want to have that attitude too!
                          "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
                          always abounding in the work of the Lord;
                          knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Comment

• Jesus used harvest analogies, which still apply today.

Some tomatoes are small and green.
                            Some tomatoes are larger and green.
                            Some tomatoes are large and yellowish-orange. They're the ones who look, then look away.
                            Some tomatoes are big, red, and soft - ready to go. They'll take a Bible.

I think the best example was the guy who drove past me for years, until suddenly "Today is the day of salvation". It took him years, I just got to watch the process. I didn't even know he was there until he approached me.

And the FB friend, he has known me for years, seen my witness, knows what I do. He is at the point where he wants a Bible now and I'm honored he came to me. Praising God he did not go to some cult.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

• Today near the grocery store, I saw a guy with a sign "Hungry please help". I have seen him there before, probably a couple of weeks ago, and gave him a Cliff bar. Today I was thinking that I didn't want to just do that again, (how many times should you do that anyway?) but I don't really have any way to help. I have no job to give him and no resources to point him towards. So, I drove to a nearby Subway, bought a kids meal (sandwich, fruit, and drink), stuck a NT and tract down in the sack and drove back to where he was. If he was truly hungry, he now has food for his body and food for his soul. He's also now on my prayer list.
                              Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

Comment

One of my FB friends is having some Hard Times and has asked me to send him a Bible.

for you & your fb friend.

Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post
                                Jesus used harvest analogies, which still apply today.

Some tomatoes are small and green.
                                Some tomatoes are larger and green.
                                Some tomatoes are large and yellowish-orange. They're the ones who look, then look away.
                                Some tomatoes are big, red, and soft - ready to go. They'll take a Bible.

I think the best example was the guy who drove past me for years, until suddenly "Today is the day of salvation". It took him years, I just got to watch the process. I didn't even know he was there until he approached me.

And the FB friend, he has known me for years, seen my witness, knows what I do. He is at the point where he wants a Bible now and I'm honored he came to me. Praising God he did not go to some cult.
                                This is so good, thank you for sharing Heather & for your obedience to Our Lord, so uplifting.

Originally posted by Wishing4 View Post
                                Today near the grocery store, I saw a guy with a sign "Hungry please help". I have seen him there before, probably a couple of weeks ago, and gave him a Cliff bar. Today I was thinking that I didn't want to just do that again, (how many times should you do that anyway?) but I don't really have any way to help. I have no job to give him and no resources to point him towards. So, I drove to a nearby Subway, bought a kids meal (sandwich, fruit, and drink), stuck a NT and tract down in the sack and drove back to where he was. If he was truly hungry, he now has food for his body and food for his soul. He's also now on my prayer list.
                                So uplifting, thank you for sharing this & it's another great idea of so many on this thread to try, thank you & God Bless you for your obedience.

We Love Him Because He First Loved Us

1 John 4:19

Comment

Working...
                                X