• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to let your body catch up with your 'drive'. Get well soon Heather

Comment

• Feel better soon Acts!!

Comment

• Sick again! Ugh!

I heard something fun yesterday. I have a friend, Jane, in Georgia.

Her husband is ill, and they are staying at a house near the hospital. Yesterday she met a lady from Houston.

Jane told the lady about me, and Shirley said "Oh, I've seen her, with a guy in a wheelchair! She works in some bad areas!"

Sounds like me, alright.

I thought that was very cool, that God put "my" recipient (not clear if she got a Bible or just sees me on the handouts) together with my friend, over a thousand miles away.

As soon as I get better, I plan to do another Handout. I had wanted to do one today, but I'm sick and it's raining anyway. I had also wanted to do one Valentine's day (even though I broke my toe after last year's Valentines day handout) but I don't think I'll be better in time.

I do not want to get a recipient sick.

Anyway, please pray for Shirley. She has stage 4 lung cancer and she never smoked. Jane is actively sharing the Gospel with her.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
        'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
        I get my Bibles here

Comment

• I have said it before, and I'll say it again. You are an inspiration!

I'm going to New York City with a group from my church soon. We are doing street evangelism and prayer stations and we will be using The Story (http://viewthestory.com/training/) and going with Spread Truth (http://gospel.spreadtruth.com/). Maybe I need to start my own thread so I don't hijack yours, but I would love some advice as I prepare and train for this trip (March 9 - March 15). We will have "story bracelets" to hand out while we're there as a simple but effective means/method to share the Gospel (green - creation, blue - the fall, red - the blood of Jesus, etc., and apparently, they're widely popular and attract a lot of attention, especially with kids who get their parents interested in what we're doing too). I'm from IL, so I'm sure my "accent" will stick out to people and make people wonder what I'm doing at a park in NYC.

I think, for me, the thing I need right now the most is to train my spiritual ears to hear from God and to know how to approach each individual - as there are no mistakes in the people that I'm going to meet; it's God-ordained. I want to be sensitive to His leading and to grab people's attention. Do you find that you have a very short window in which you can engage people passing by? I'm very excited about this opportunity but want to be prepared and "prayed up."

Please be praying for us! For good weather and to hear from the Lord to meet the needs of the people we meet. Our group meets weekly on Sunday afternoons to prepare ourselves for the trip. We were asked to come up with a simple explanation as to why we are going on this trip. I picked Romans 1:16.
          The Gospel of Jesus Christ

"I am more flawed and sinful than I ever dared believe."

"I am more loved and accepted than I ever dared hope."

Comment

• Sounds fun! I can't travel but I can sure egg you on!

I think the biggest step to knowing God's will is to have some time with Him every day, reading the Bible, seeking His will, praying for the unreached (and, after your evangelism, the recipients!). It is then that God shows me what He wants me to do.

He's got me on the shelf right now, which is driving me nuts, but the second I'm better and get the go-ahead, I'll be in the horrible neighborhood, evangelizing.

To answer your question, when I'm working, I generally only have seconds to reach a person. They stop at the light. I am standing on a median in the middle of the street. I walk past each car, slowly, holding the sign and a sack of Bibles, pointing at the "Free" part of the sign. I have gotten pretty good at reading people. The Holy Spirit lets me know if someone is interested. Worst case they shake their head at me. Sometimes they laugh at me, but take a Bible anyway. I'm fine with that.

Sometimes, someone sees me at the last second and the light changes, and they drive around and come back.

Remember John 6:44 - God draws people to Him, so He will draw people to your outreach.

The only thing I might suggest, get a big bowl of candy and have that on the table. People love candy, and are very receptive to candy and evangelism together (You could even make a take-away bag with some candy, a New Testament, and/or tract). Sam's Club has a massive sack of wrapped, hard, candy for about $8.

I'll be praying, of course!

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

Comment

• Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post
              Sounds fun! I can't travel but I can sure egg you on!

I think the biggest step to knowing God's will is to have some time with Him every day, reading the Bible, seeking His will, praying for the unreached (and, after your evangelism, the recipients!). It is then that God shows me what He wants me to do.

He's got me on the shelf right now, which is driving me nuts, but the second I'm better and get the go-ahead, I'll be in the horrible neighborhood, evangelizing.

To answer your question, when I'm working, I generally only have seconds to reach a person. They stop at the light. I am standing on a median in the middle of the street. I walk past each car, slowly, holding the sign and a sack of Bibles, pointing at the "Free" part of the sign. I have gotten pretty good at reading people. The Holy Spirit lets me know if someone is interested. Worst case they shake their head at me. Sometimes they laugh at me, but take a Bible anyway. I'm fine with that.

Sometimes, someone sees me at the last second and the light changes, and they drive around and come back.

Remember John 6:44 - God draws people to Him, so He will draw people to your outreach.

The only thing I might suggest, get a big bowl of candy and have that on the table. People love candy, and are very receptive to candy and evangelism together (You could even make a take-away bag with some candy, a New Testament, and/or tract). Sam's Club has a massive sack of wrapped, hard, candy for about $8.

I'll be praying, of course!
              Thanks for the reply.

I just learned to knit and have finished a scarf; I have no idea who to give it to and I'm not sure I want to keep it for myself. Maybe I should take it to NYC with me and see if the Lord leads me to give it to anyone. It's going to be cold and the scarf is extra wide/long. It's thick and warm too, which is good for the weather it looks like we'll be facing when we get there in a week and a half.
              The Gospel of Jesus Christ

"I am more flawed and sinful than I ever dared believe."

"I am more loved and accepted than I ever dared hope."

Comment

• I had that happen with an afghan after Ron's accident - I ended up giving to the Mom of a guy with a terrible head injury. Years later, I ran into one of the family and they told me "Mom still has your blanket on the couch".

Well, I got my Bibles. I have a good selection; kiddie NT, regular NT, etc.

I also have extreme fatigue and severe depression, so it's going to be another 2 Corinthians 12:8-9 Handout. Tonight I'm doing tracts. Tomorrow I will put my church contact info, and some testimonies, into the Bibles.

Saturday I go to the Handout. It will be cold, my husband is staying home, so I will be by myself in the "bad" neighborhood. I'm not worried. God sent me, He will protect me.

I honestly worry more, riding paratransit, than I do on a Handout.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

• I did not read all fourteen pages, so I apologize if this has been said already. Is there a way to buy pocket-Bibles in bulk? LOL that is a weird question...thanks!
                  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow,
                  for tomorrow will worry about its own things.
                  Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
                  Matthew 6:34

Comment

• Yes, at the link in my signature. They have the best deal, 50 cent New Testament. You can also buy "singles" or smaller amounts at your local Lifeway, if you have one.

For other bulk Bibles, http://www.ibsdirect.com, every kind of Bible in the world, very reasonably priced.

Some "evangelism" Bibles have doubled in price, just in the last couple years. Those guys (pointing up) are committed to keeping prices low so lots of people can get reached.

I'm in the poverty bracket but even I can afford them.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

I had that happen with an afghan after Ron's accident - I ended up giving to the Mom of a guy with a terrible head injury. Years later, I ran into one of the family and they told me "Mom still has your blanket on the couch".

Well, I got my Bibles. I have a good selection; kiddie NT, regular NT, etc.

I also have extreme fatigue and severe depression, so it's going to be another 2 Corinthians 12:8-9 Handout. Tonight I'm doing tracts. Tomorrow I will put my church contact info, and some testimonies, into the Bibles.

Saturday I go to the Handout. It will be cold, my husband is staying home, so I will be by myself in the "bad" neighborhood. I'm not worried. God sent me, He will protect me.

I honestly worry more, riding paratransit, than I do on a Handout.
                      It's so good to hear you are well enough to do a handout!
                      The dogs are barking, someone is knocking on the door...

Please pray for Lindsey's salvation

Comment

Yes, at the link in my signature. They have the best deal, 50 cent New Testament. You can also buy "singles" or smaller amounts at your local Lifeway, if you have one.

For other bulk Bibles, http://www.ibsdirect.com, every kind of Bible in the world, very reasonably priced.

Some "evangelism" Bibles have doubled in price, just in the last couple years. Those guys (pointing up) are committed to keeping prices low so lots of people can get reached.

I'm in the poverty bracket but even I can afford them.
                        Thank you very much!
                        Therefore do not worry about tomorrow,
                        for tomorrow will worry about its own things.
                        Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
                        Matthew 6:34

Comment

• Yeah, I miss the handouts when I'm sick.

I'm still battling a low grade depression but that is most of the handouts.

I did up 140 Bibles tonight. I also have 50 Spanish Gospels of John, just because I hate to see someone asking for Spanish, and I don't have them (but they are only about 10% of the neighborhood I will work).

I'm going to the BAD part of town. So they say.

In my mind, that just means they REALLY need Bibles. My last spot, people were saying "I already got one".

We will meet up later and eat delicious, affordable, Mexican food (the restaurant is right on the bus line, and won't freak over the handcart and sign).

Please pray for:
                          Good transportation
                          Sturdy handcart
                          Strong back
                          Eager recipients
                          Protection - although I am certain God has me surrounded. I've been there twice before and never had a trouble. The residents were delighted to discover the handout. The worst problem I've had was a very drunk man walking into the street, trying to get a Bible. (I took him one).

Oh, yeah, and that horrible man who took some Bibles, then came back with cold drinks. God provides (although I am taking plenty of drinks).

I get my Bibles here

Comment

• Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
                            ______

Comment

• Ron's coming. He will be holding the Bibles on the arms of his wheelchair as I push us to the bus stop.

Then the handout, then a good lunch.

I'll try to get some photos.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

• All done. 190 distributed. Everything. I had nothing when I got off that median.

I did a video: http://youtu.be/ojP1rPlQAvw

I wore a really loud, orange, hoodie.

I did think it was interesting, I had a couple of ladies ask me how to get the Bibles because they wanted them for their churches. Maybe I got them thinking about doing a handout. God uses us in interesting ways.

I get my Bibles here

Comment

Working...
                                X