No announcement yet.

Worried About My Church

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started listening to last weeks message. I could have done without the first about 5 minutes. My thought was "Where is the reverence for God?" They show a clip of a guy sitting in a bathroom stall. The first song was definitely not a church / worship song...nothing offensive in it, but I wouldn't want my kids listening to some of this guys other stuff (his name is Aloe Blacc; I had never heard of him) Go look up his lyrics to "I Need a Dollar" (Speaks of drinking). I liked the Psalm 23 song. The next two songs I could not find doing an internet search. Maybe it's their own stuff?

Just listening to the first 15 minutes...it's loud, it's dark (physically not spiritually), it's meant to invoke experience. Many, many churches are like this. It's not necessarily bad, but for me personally, I have a have a hard time worshiping in that environment. Some have no problem worshiping this way. It's a preference.

They also sang "No Longer Slaves" by Bethel Music (a group and church to avoid).

If I have time later, I might listen to the message.
    Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

Comment

Originally posted by TRex2 View Post
      From Your Link:

This, in itself, doesn't look bad. I would have worded some of it differently, to show that it is all of mankind that is in a sinful state, and not just individuals.

Sounds like they are stuck in the O.T. and confusing faith with faithfulness.
      I have faith, and Jesus is faithful. There is a difference.

But I also know that what is on the website isn't necessarily what is taught in the building.

I think "Beloved" will have to tell us which church to look at, if he wants us to look deeper.
      Now that Beloved settled which Crossroads, it's a bit easier to comment.

So two huge issues I ran across with my old church is fear tactics to the flock. Like you said, being stuck in the OT. Not saying be lazy but when you create entire sermons around "faith without works is dead" or making Jesus into a communist it leads to people not feeling secure in Christ. This issue is something you have to hear in sermons.

Secondly there is a blur between the Bible and the world. While Paul writes constantly we are not of this world, do not conform to it, be defiant (statements that exalt the Bible/God over the world) there are statements like

We present biblical truths and show how they apply to our everyday lives.
      So they use the Bible for situations like Michael Brown and then refer to the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Statements like this blow my mind

WE STARTED THIS CHURCH FOR OUR FRIENDS WHO DIDN’T LIKE CHURCH.
      what about the REAL Church? The Body of Christ?

In all fairness I did hunt down one of their sermons.

https://youtu.be/u02hJkEuW2A

The 22 minute mark confirmed one of my fears. There is a lot more emphasis on church (congregation) than Church (Body of Christ). What their pastor was saying was an absolute mirror image. Apparently from what he said in that part of the video, the Crossroads in Phoenix is actually associated with them.

2nd I heard a lot of double talk within the sermon

3rd, big one, at the 1:05:00 mark he uses meditation (at it's heart this is new age) to REALLY drive home the message. He is another charismatic pastor.
      Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Wishing4 View Post
        I started listening to last weeks message. I could have done without the first about 5 minutes. My thought was "Where is the reverence for God?" They show a clip of a guy sitting in a bathroom stall. The first song was definitely not a church / worship song...nothing offensive in it, but I wouldn't want my kids listening to some of this guys other stuff (his name is Aloe Blacc; I had never heard of him) Go look up his lyrics to "I Need a Dollar" (Speaks of drinking). I liked the Psalm 23 song. The next two songs I could not find doing an internet search. Maybe it's their own stuff?

Just listening to the first 15 minutes...it's loud, it's dark (physically not spiritually), it's meant to invoke experience. Many, many churches are like this. It's not necessarily bad, but for me personally, I have a have a hard time worshiping in that environment. Some have no problem worshiping this way. It's a preference.

They also sang "No Longer Slaves" by Bethel Music (a group and church to avoid).

If I have time later, I might listen to the message.
        Our youth group has the lights off and sings. But we have Jesus and Gospel words plastered all over the songs. Most of the songs we play for them are older songs that they modernized. But I noticed the same similarities in the one I watched. Not thrilled.
        Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Comment

Originally posted by BorrowedTime View Post
          Our youth group has the lights off and sings. But we have Jesus and Gospel words plastered all over the songs. Most of the songs we play for them are older songs that they modernized. But I noticed the same similarities in the one I watched. Not thrilled.

Yes, the lights and and stuff is just a preference. Song choice makes the difference. I imagine it's a great time for your youth.

We listened to the same sermon. I caught the meditation stuff at the end "Move in our mind"

Here's what I got from it -- Lots of stories, statistics, advice, no meat, not much teaching. To me that's a casualty of topical preaching. He can be a bit to causal (I'm not sure if that's the word I want. Talking about the "underwear" of the church being those that stay home and watch the service in their underwear. I think he actually used the phrase "f-bomb" during the sermon.)

I'd advise to find a different church. Find one that goes book by book, chapter by chapter. Pastor's should be feeding their sheep. This guy is not. How can people learn about God and His Word if it's not taught?
          Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

Comment

Originally posted by BorrowedTime View Post
            In all fairness I did hunt down one of their sermons.

https://youtu.be/u02hJkEuW2A

The 22 minute mark confirmed one of my fears. There is a lot more emphasis on church (congregation) than Church (Body of Christ). What their pastor was saying was an absolute mirror image. Apparently from what he said in that part of the video, the Crossroads in Phoenix is actually associated with them.

2nd I heard a lot of double talk within the sermon

3rd, big one, at the 1:05:00 mark he uses meditation (at it's heart this is new age) to REALLY drive home the message. He is another charismatic pastor.
            Yeah, the video exposes some disturbing undercurrents.

Comment

Thank you guys so much! I wasn't expecting you guys to watch a sermon! Thank you for your advice. I knew something was up when they offered cake and champagne for communion during Easter service. But thank you for confirming my thoughts.
              "And I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and columns of smoke. The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes. And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."
              -Joel 2: 30-32a

Comment

Originally posted by Beloved View Post
                Thank you guys so much! I wasn't expecting you guys to watch a sermon! Thank you for your advice. I knew something was up when they offered cake and champagne for communion during Easter service. But thank you for confirming my thoughts.
                Hey, was glad to be a small part of this. (I only watched
                excerpts) There were about 4 of us (I think) so we had
                some good team work going

Cake is definitely wrong (the bread should be unleavened)
                but champagne is just weird.

I did see some stuff in that video that made me think of
                the health and wealth theology, so the champagne
                would fit that.

Comment

Originally posted by TRex2 View Post
                  Hey, was glad to be a small part of this. (I only watched
                  excerpts) There were about 4 of us (I think) so we had
                  some good team work going

Cake is definitely wrong (the bread should be unleavened)
                  but champagne is just weird.

I did see some stuff in that video that made me think of
                  the health and wealth theology, so the champagne
                  would fit that.
                  I actually really liked your part. It helped focus (me at least) into a way of showing how they put the "right stuff" up, then the subtle hints you can find and then what the REAL message is.

I learned finding my new congregation that if the pastor and the youth pastor (if you have youth) will not sit down with you (for an hour) and actually talk theology look else where.

Comment

Hey guys! I just wanted to report that, through a series of events, God brought me out of Crossroads! Our family tried a new church last week. It was better. God is VERY cool.
                    "And I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and columns of smoke. The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes. And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."
                    -Joel 2: 30-32a

Comment

Hey guys! I just wanted to report that, through a series of events, God brought me out of Crossroads! Our family tried a new church last week. It was better. God is VERY cool.
                      Praise the Lord!!

I'm so excited you can include the family in some awesome fellowship!!

Comment

Often God's ways are mysterious only while we are in the middle of them...
                        Back on the 13th of May, I wrote:
                        "But each time He wants me to leave what I am doing, He makes it impossible to stay. Twice He has injured me in such a way I could no longer do the work at my employment, while simultaneously opening an opportunity somewhere else."
                        You can bet I didn't like getting hurt, but did enjoy the consequences.

Comment

SO VERY HAPPY for you and for your family, Beloved!!! It's awesome to see how God answers prayer!!

Comment

Discernment is not knowing the difference between right and wrong. It is knowing the difference between right and almost right. - Charles H. Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                            X