Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

By their fruits ye shall know them

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By their fruits ye shall know them

Trying to decide which people to trust can be such a challenge. For instance, it can be very difficult at times to choose friends, acquaintances, prospective dates, or to size somebody up when making business decisions. Thankfully, the Lord gives us some hints on how to help us tell good people from bad people—by paying attention to what kind of fruit they produce. In other words, are they displaying the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)? Are they walking the Christian walk or are they doing things that are displeasing to the Lord? Do they make wise, godly choices? Working on today’s quote post, and looking at previously posted quotes on this same subject made me realize a separate thread might be useful. We’ll start with Bible passages and then post relevant quotes. If you have anything you would like to add (Bible passages, quotes, personal experiences, etc.), please do so.

Ps 119:63 I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.
    Prov 27:19 As water reflects the face, so one’s life reflects the heart.
    Is 29:13 The Lord says: “These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught.”
    Matt 7:17-20 “Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.”
    Luke 6:44-45 “Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. 45 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.”
    1 Cor 15:33 Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."
    Gal 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
    Titus 1:16 They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.
    Titus 2:11-14 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.
    2 Tim 3:1-5 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God--having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.
    James 3:17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.
    1 John 2:3-6 We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands.4 The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him.5 But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.
    1 John 3:7-8 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.
    1 John 3:10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother.
    Jude 1:4-5 For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe.

Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

A compilation of quotes that can help one assess the fruit a person produces

-The actions of men are the best interpreters of their thoughts. JOHN LOCKE
    -Behavior is a mirror in which everyone displays his image. GOETHE
    -When I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck. R. C. CUSHING
    -Goodly is he that goodly doeth. ANTHONY MUNDAY, Sundry Examples (1580)
    -Live to explain thy doctrine by thy life. MATTHEW PRIOR

-The strength of a man's virtue should not be measured by his special exertions, but by his habitual acts. BLAISE PASCAL
    -Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned. PETER MARSHALL

-To really know a man, observe his behavior with a woman, a flat tire, and a child. UNK
    -Surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is. C. S. LEWIS
    -The true measure of a man is the height of his ideals, the breadth of his sympathy, the depth of his convictions, and the length of his patience. UNK

-A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour. UNK
    -He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed. ALBERT EINSTEIN

-Christians are like teabags, you don't really know what they're like until you put them in hot water. CHIP INGRAM
    -Anger devours almost all other good emotions. It deadens the soul. It numbs the heart to joy and gratitude and hope and tenderness and compassion and kindness. JOHN PIPER
    -We are not at peace with others because we are not at peace with ourselves, and we are not at peace with ourselves because we are not at peace with God. THOMAS MERTON
    -There is nothing which so certifies the genuineness of a man's faith as his patience and his patient endurance, his keeping on steadily in spite of everything. MARTYN LLOYD-JONES

-Men show their character in nothing more clearly than by what they think laughable. GOETHE
    -You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. [possibly PLATO]

-Give me five minutes with a person's checkbook, and I will tell you where their heart is. BILLY GRAHAM
    -Everywhere in life, the true question is not what we gain, but what we do. THOMAS CARLYLE

-It is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and I pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
    -Goodness is not tied to greatness, but greatness to goodness. THOMAS MOFFETT

-Show me the person you honor, for I know better by that the kind of person you are. For you show me what your idea of humanity is. THOMAS CARLYLE
    -People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character. RALPH WALDO EMERSON

-Show me a man's books and show me a man's companions--and I will tell you what sort of a man he is. WILLIAM TIPTAFT
    -The things that we love tell us what we are. THOMAS AQUINAS
    -What we love we shall grow to resemble. BERNARD OF CLAIRVAUX

-Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. ABRAHAM LINCOLN
    -Those who work most for the world's advancement are the ones who demand least. HENRY DOHERTY

-This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him. W. L. PHELPS
    -The wealth of a soul is measured by how much it can feel; its poverty by how little. W. R. ALGER
    -To make a difference in someone's world, you don't have to be amazing, rich, talented, beautiful or perfect. You just have to be you and care. REBECCA FOX
    -Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. MARK TWAIN
    -No matter how educated, talented, rich, or cool you believe you are, how you treat people tells all. UNK

-A good man is kinder to his enemy than bad men to their friends. JOSEPH HALL

-The mercies of God make a sinner proud, but a saint humble. THOMAS WATSON
    -The most holy men are always the most humble men; none so humble on earth as those that live highest in heaven. JAMES H. AUGHEY
    -The truly godly are instinctively humble. There is no humility so deep and real as that which the knowledge of grace produces. A. MILLER
    -When the corn is nearly ripe it bows the head and stoops lower than when it was green. When the people of God are near ripe for heaven, they grow more humble and self-denying... Paul had one foot in heaven when he called himself the chiefest of sinners and least of saints. JOHN FLAVEL, A Puritan Golden Treasury
    -Our true character comes out in the way we pray. OSWALD CHAMBERS
    -It is only imperfection that complains of what is imperfect. The more perfect we are, the more gentle and quiet we become toward the defects of others. FRANCOIS FENELON

-You may depend upon it that he is a good man whose intimate friends are all good, and whose enemies are decidedly bad. JOHANN KASPAR LAVATER
    -You shall judge of a man by his foes as well as by his friends. JOSEPH CONRAD

-A friend will not try to change your convictions. JACK HYLES

-A hypocrite is a person who is not himself on Sunday. UNK
    -To do so no more is the truest repentance. MARTIN LUTHER
    -If conversion to Christianity makes no improvement in a man's outward actions--if he continues to be just as snobbish or spiteful or envious or ambitious as he was before--then I think we must suspect that his "conversion" was largely imaginary. C. S. LEWIS
    -We stumble and fall constantly even when we are most enlightened. But when we are in true spiritual darkness, we do not even know that we have fallen. THOMAS MERTON
    -The Church that compromises Truth today will compromise Morals tomorrow. H. D. BRUCE
    -Really great moral teachers never do introduce new moralities: it is quacks and cranks who do that. C.S. LEWIS
    -A man ought to live so that everybody knows he is a Christian… and most of all, his family ought to know. DWIGHT L. MOODY

-Integrity is keeping a commitment even after circumstances have changed. DAVID JEREMIAH
    -What you are as a single person, you will be as a married person, only to a greater degree. Any negative character trait will be intensified in a marriage relationship, because you will feel free to let your guard down — that person has committed himself to you and you no longer have to worry about scaring him off. JOSH MCDOWELL
    -Biblical love is not emotions or feelings, but attitudes and actions that seek the best interests of the other person, regardless of how we feel toward him. JERRY BRIDGES
    -Chivalry in love has nothing to do with the sweetness of the appearance. It has everything to do with the tenderness of a heart determined to serve. RAVI ZACHARIAS

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Comment

-There is one qualification that proves we're filled with the Holy Ghost and that's we live a holy life. LEONARD RAVENHILL

______

Comment

This thread made for a good visit this morning. Lots of wisdom here. Will need to come back and read it again and again.
        Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

-The true test of our worldview is what we find entertaining. R. ALBERT MOHLER

______

Comment

Working...
          X