Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

The Power and Importance of Prayer: Verses and Quotes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Power and Importance of Prayer: Verses and Quotes

This thread is dedicated to the celebration of prayer in general, including the power, importance and necessity of prayer, and especially to the Lord's encouragement of continual prayer.

1 Thes 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

-Prayer can never be in excess. CHARLES SPURGEON

Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Just a small selection of the many verses in the Bible about prayer. Please feel free to add more.

1 Chron 16:11 Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.
    Ps 5:3 In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.
    Ps 34:15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry;
    Ps 34:17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.
    Ps 145:18 The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.
    Prov 15:8 . . . the prayer of the upright pleases him.
    Prov 15:29 The LORD is far from the wicked but he hears the prayer of the righteous.
    Is 30:18 Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!
    Matt 6:6-8 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
    Matt 7:7-11 Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
    Mark 1:35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
    Luke 5:16 But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. [cf. Eph 5:1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children]
    Luke 18:1-8 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. . . . [Note: see through vs. 8 re. persistent widow and unjust judge.]
    John 9:31 We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly man who does his will.
    Phil 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
    Col 4:2 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
    1 Thes 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
    James 4:8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. . . .
    James 5:13 Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray . . .
    James 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
    1 Pet 3:10-12 For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and deceitful speech. He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil."

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
    ______

Comment

A quick search on the Internet will produce an abundance of quotes from many mighty men and women of God who speak of the importance of prayer. The below are just a few. I will post more in the future and I hope others will, too.

-Prayer is of transcendent importance. Prayer is the mightiest agent to advance God's work. Praying hearts and hands only can do God's work. Prayer succeeds when all else fails. E.M. BOUNDS
      -When you cease from labour, fill up your time in reading, meditation, and prayer: and while your hands are labouring, let your heart be employed, as much as possible, in divine thoughts. DAVID BRAINERD
      -How many there are whose lives are weak and whose service is poor and ineffective, just because they have not zealously guarded the time and place of prayer! DUNCAN CAMPBELL
      -Nothing tends more to cement the hearts of Christians than praying together. Never do they love one another so well as when they witness the outpouring of each other’s hearts in prayer. CHARLES FINNEY
      -To get nations back on their feet, we must first get down on our knees. BILLY GRAHAM
      -Prayer serves as an edge and border to preserve the web of life from unraveling. ROBERT HALL
      -Prayer is the way you defeat the devil, reach the lost, restore a backslider, strengthen the saints, send missionaries out, cure the sick, accomplish the impossible, and know the will of God. DAVID JEREMIAH
      -We ought to act with God in the greatest simplicity, speaking to Him frankly and plainly, and imploring His assistance in our affairs, just as they happen. BROTHER LAWRENCE
      -To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing. MARTIN LUTHER
      -Careful for nothing, prayerful for everything, thankful for anything. D.L. MOODY
      -I have joyfully dedicated my whole life to the object of exemplifying how much may be accomplished by prayer and faith. GEORGE MUELLER
      -Prayer is the preface to the book of Christian living; the text of the new life sermon; the girding on of the armor for battle; the pilgrim's preparation for his journey. AUSTIN PHELPS
      -There has never been a spiritual awakening in any country or locality that did not begin in united prayer. A.T. PIERSON
      -The prayer offered to God in the morning during your quiet time is the key that unlocks the door of the day. Any athlete knows that it is the start that ensures a good finish. ADRIAN ROGERS
      -I know of no better thermometer to your spiritual temperature than this, the measure of the intensity of your prayer. CHARLES SPURGEON
      -We shall never see much change for the better in our churches in general till the prayer meeting occupies a higher place in the esteem of Christians. CHARLES SPURGEON
      -The amount of time we spend with Jesus – meditating on His Word and His majesty, seeking His face – establishes our fruitfulness in the kingdom. CHARLES STANLEY
      -If you are strangers to prayer you are strangers to power. BILLY SUNDAY
      -To God your every Want In instant Prayer display, Pray always; Pray, and never faint; Pray, without ceasing, Pray. CHARLES WESLEY
      -In Fellowship; alone To God, with Faith, draw near, Approach His Courts, besiege His Throne With all the power of Prayer. CHARLES WESLEY

______

Comment

Selections on Thankfulness and Prayer

1 Chr 29:13 Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name.
        Ps 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.
        Ps 92:1 It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord. . . .
        Ps 105:1 Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done.
        Ps 107:1 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.
        Ps 116:12 How can I repay the LORD for all his goodness to me?
        Matt 26:26-28 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body." Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the [some manuscripts say the new] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
        1 Cor 15:57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
        Eph 1:16 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.
        Eph 3:20-21 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
        Eph 5:20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
        Phil 1:3 I thank my God every time I remember you.
        Col 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
        1 Thes 5:16-18 Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
        1 Tim 4:1-5 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

______

Comment

Selections on Praise and Prayer (and a Little on Singing Praises, Too)

1 Chr 16:36 Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting. Then all the people said "Amen" and "Praise the LORD."
          Ps 9:1 I will praise thee, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works.
          Ps 22:3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
          Ps 33:1 Sing joyfully to the LORD you righteous; it is fitting for the upright to praise him.
          Ps 63:3-5 Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
          Ps 66:8-9 Praise our God, O peoples, let the sound of his praise be heard; he has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping.
          Ps 72:19 Praise be to his glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with his glory. Amen and Amen.
          Ps 92:1-2, 4-5 It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O Most High: To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night, . . . For thou, Lord, hast made me glad through thy work: I will triumph in the works of thy hands. O Lord, how great are thy works! and thy thoughts are very deep.
          Ps 103:2-6 Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. The LORD works righteousness and justice for all the oppressed.
          Ps 107:31 Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
          Ps 134:2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary and praise the LORD.
          Ps 147:1 Praise the Lord. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!
          Ps 148:1-14 [see all]
          Is 25:1 O LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago.
          Matt 21:16 And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?
          Acts 16:25-26 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everybody's chains came loose.
          Heb 13:15-16 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.
          James 5:13 . . . Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.
          Rev 5:13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

______

Comment

I have a great routine every day with my cat. I have a special loveseat. I only sit on it to do my God Time.

My cat recognizes this, and jumps up with me, curling up in a corner. As I pray and do my Bible study, I pet her and give her the occasional cat treat.

Matthew 18:20
            For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

I hope He brings his own chair, the loveseat gets pretty crowded!

On a serious note, I would be completely lost without my God Time. It has carried me through horrendous trials, inside and out.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
            'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
            I get my Bibles here

Comment

Your Bible study time sounds very pleasant, Heather. I miss my favorite kitty, an orange tabby that my daughter named "Lion," but I firmly believe I will see him in heaven.

More prayer quotes
              -Grant that I may not pray alone with the mouth; help me that I may pray from the depths of my heart. MARTIN LUTHER
              -When thou prayest, rather let thy heart be without words than thy words without heart. JOHN BUNYAN
              -Prayer is simply a two-way conversation between you and God. BILLY GRAHAM
              -We ought to act with God in the greatest simplicity, speaking to Him frankly and plainly, and imploring His assistance in our affairs, just as they happen. BROTHER LAWRENCE

______

Comment

-Next to the wonder of seeing my Savior will be, I think, the wonder that I made so little use of the power of prayer. D.L. MOODY

______

Comment

-Prayer is our most formidable weapon, the thing which makes all else we do efficient. E.M. BOUNDS

______

Comment

-Prayer is a virtue that prevaileth against all temptations. BERNARD OF CLAIRVAUX

______

Comment

-Prayer honors God, acknowledges His being, exalts His power, adores His providence, secures His aid. E.M. BOUNDS

______

Comment

-Make Christ your most constant companion. Be more under His influence than under any other influence. Ten minutes spent in His society every day, ay, two minutes if it be face to face, and heart to heart, will make the whole day different. Every character has an inward spring, let Christ be it. Every action has a key-note, let Christ set it. HENRY DRUMMOND

______

Comment

-If you want that splendid power in prayer, you must remain in loving, living, lasting, conscious, practical, abiding union with the Lord Jesus Christ. CHARLES SPURGEON

______

Comment

Thank you so much T.L. I really needed to hear these words today. God Bless you and thank you so much.

Comment

God bless you, too, NPBF

______

Comment

Working...
                              X