Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did the Messiah do for entertainment? Application to us?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did the Messiah do for entertainment? Application to us?

I have a question. Is there any record of Jesus Christ singing and dancing or watching others sing and dance for entertainment? Did he participate in any secular entertainment at the time? [I'm still making my way through the entire Bible]

I ask because I take Jesus as an example and taking Him as an example I figure I should always be evangelizing, never setting my eyes on something impure, and only singing and dancing to worship music. It seems I should spend very little time on personal entertainment at all, not even doing anything nice for my birthday. I should not find joy in anything not centered in my faith. Any insight on this?

The more I study Jesus the more thankful I am for grace. I spend a significant time partaking in entertainment, mostly because I have poor health and am inside, either at home or a hospital. I don't watch many movies anymore. Too many are disgusting in manner and subliminal. I am cautious with video games and I don't watch TV. Still, I can't picture Our Brother Jesus sitting beside me with any sort of entertainment I do, besides singing worship music.

Thank you.

There is nothing explicit in the Bible about this.

I imagine Jesus did the things of His culture, He probably danced with men only (the sexes did not mingle socially) at weddings and sang praises/blessings to God during religious events.
    "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Comment

He went fishing for fishes (as well as people). Whether there was a recreational purpose to that activity, and possibly entertaining as it is for anyone of us who might go fishing for fun, who knows?
      sigpic

Luke 21:28

"Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near"

Comment

Originally posted by iSong6:3 View Post
        He probably danced with men only

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
        Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
        Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Comment

He told incredible stories, and kids loved Him.
          It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
          sigpic

Comment

In the bible, He did go to wedding parties (which apparently lastrd several days back then), had dinners with His friends, and took time to rest. So, it's definitely okay for us to do those things...as long as they don't come before God/ministry. I know what you mean, I always have trouble wanting to do things for entertainment too. When my friends have parties and such, I'll be spending the whole time thinking "we could be out getting people saved right now" and I feel selfish. FYI, when I say "parties", I mean with people who are all Christians and there is no drunkeness or any of that involved. But when I look in the bible, I see that Jesus did those things once in a while too. Just don't become selfish and do it constantly.

Comment

I'm sure He loved singing praises to God - the Father - when he had time. But, really, when did He, with all the people who wanted to see Him?

We only see a small portion of His life. We can only guess as far as the rest, and all we have to go on is that it has to be consistent withthe rest of His Word.

He needed time to unwind at times for the same reason he needed sleep, etc.; He was not only 100% God but also 100% man. That's what entertainment should be, something done to relax fromt he hectic work day. The human body and mind can only take so much stress; some more than others.

Often that was spent in prayer, but I suspect His entertainment took the same route as Philippians 4:8, which I always use as an example of such thigns with our church's youth. Thigns that were good, just, lovely, of good report, etc. - His stories (what stories he could tell, too!), His praises, His singing (I presume He sang Psalms but don't know about the quality of His voice - but God doesn't care about that anyway), etc..

Just because it's not stressful doens't mean it can't be active, like playing ball or enjoying a scenic walk or something. The problem with some entertainment nowadays is it doesn't encourage active participation and it's so filthy, so against the above verse. That's why I don't go to movies, watch TV, etc. anymore.

But, if they'd had baseballs or footballs back then, and a kid who He had trouble getting to talk felt better talking while throwing a baseball or football back and forth, He'd probably do it. Although it's hard to imagine a kid being real shy around Him; I think anyone would light up upon seeing Him.
              John 3:16 (KJV) For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

Comment

He was entertained by the people he had created. In Genesis, God saw that "it was good". When John baptized Jesus, He (God) said, "This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased." I can imagine Jesus jumping up and down and shouting when his disciples returned to him to report that His word had not returned to him void (many conversions).

In human form, He had to rest. His pattern for us is the "seventh". But that pattern, IMO, extends to more than just one day. Land should "lie fallow" in similar manner. Breaks should be taken at work (proven to increase efficiency). Jesus' "breaks" often consisted of getting by himself to commune with His Father.

I am beating around the bush to come to the word "recreation" (re-creation). It's what happens when you disengage yourself from any form of stress to allow your mind and body to reconstitute and refresh themselves.

But then you come to the choices you have mentioned: the subliminal anti-God messages and unspeakable filth intertwined in much entertainment. IMO, it's a dead giveaway when the "enertainment" costs a huge amount of money. That could indicate that many are missing things that God provided for free: the smell of a rose, the imagery in a cumulus cloud. It may cost a little to buy a CD of Bach or Beethoven classics - but it's worth it, if only because you carved out the time to hear them. Not every form of re-creation in Jesus' time was evil, and it's the same now. It's just that our technology has outstripped our humanity in our time, and there's toxic evil dripping from many forms of "entertainment".

There's a difference between being made "happy" for a season and experiencing "joy" which can only be based on things that can be traced back to the Creator, who is also the ultimate "Re-Creator".
                Last edited by Kliska; July 4th, 2012, 02:47 PM. Reason: Just fixed a pronoun reference

Comment

I think walking on water, raising the dead, feeding crowds of people with a couple o fishes would be very entertaining.

Comment

It might be helpful to consider that only fairly recently has society got into the recreation/entertainment mentality. In earlier times, people did relax and have fun, but life was more about making a living and meeting daily needs.

Comment

Oh, I imagine He did what the Jewish people of the day did. Don't forget He would've kept feast days and traveled for them, spent time with His earthly family, etc...

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Jan51 View Post
                        It might be helpful to consider that only fairly recently has society got into the recreation/entertainment mentality. In earlier times, people did relax and have fun, but life was more about making a living and meeting daily needs.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
                        Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
                        Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Comment

Kids played sports as well. The Annals of Josephus the Historian explains some of the traditions within Judea around this time. We know that our Lord enjoyed reading, studying scrolls of the Word. You may ask me, "Enjoy reading?!" I really believe Jesus enjoyed being known as the scholarly kid down the road...He did it all for us.
                          'For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the LORD; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him.' PSALM 12:5.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzardhut View Post

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                            He told incredible stories, and kids loved Him.
                            Yes,I would love Jesus telling me incredible stories as well.

Comment

He went to weddings and turned water into wine! Went to parties and told Biblical Stories and they didn't stone him because He wasn't condemning them but speaking right to where they were at. He went on a fishing trip with a pro fisherman and kicked his butt, He went to the Pool and couldn't help but heal a blind man while he was their, had the biggest fish fry ever! But He was always on a mission while He was out and about cause Our Lord Rocks!
                              Romans 13:11 This is all the more urgent, for you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here.

Comment

Working...
                              X