Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drunkards will not enter the kingdom of heaven?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Drunkards will not enter the kingdom of heaven?

    I am a new beliver. I am wondering what your views are
    about drinking. I enjoy having a couple glasses of wine
    With my wife about once or twice a week. I also enjoy
    drinking beer with friends about once or twice a month.
    I dont drive or get stumbling drunk, but we drink alot of
    beer. Is there a limit? Should I quit?

  • #2
    Originally posted by steveo View Post
    I am a new beliver. I am wondering what your views are
    about drinking. I enjoy having a couple glasses of wine
    With my wife about once or twice a week. I also enjoy
    drinking beer with friends about once or twice a month.
    I dont drive or get stumbling drunk, but we drink alot of
    beer. Is there a limit? Should I quit?
    Question: "What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol / wine? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol / wine?"

    Answer:
    Scripture has much to say regarding the drinking of alcohol (Leviticus 10:9; Numbers 6:3; Deuteronomy 29:6; Judges 13:4, 7, 14; Proverbs 20:1; 31:4; Isaiah 5:1122, 24:9; 28:7; 29:9; 56:12). However, Scripture does not necessarily forbid a Christian from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. In fact, some Scriptures discuss alcohol in positive terms. Ecclesiastes 9:7 instructs, “Drink your wine with a merry heart.” Psalm 104:14-15 states that God gives wine “that makes glad the heart of men.” Amos 9:14 discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God’s blessing. Isaiah 55:1 encourages, “Yes, come buy wine and milk…”

    What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow their bodies to be “mastered” by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything that might offend other Christians or encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol in excess to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

    Jesus changed water into wine. It even seems that Jesus drank wine on occasion (John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29). In New Testament times, the water was not very clean. Without modern sanitation, the water was often filled with bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of contaminants. The same is true in many third-world countries today. As a result, people often drank wine (or grape juice) because it was far less likely to be contaminated. In 1 Timothy 5:23; Paul was instructing Timothy to stop drinking the water (which was probably causing his stomach problems) and instead drink wine. In that day, wine was fermented (containing alcohol), but not necessarily to the degree it is today. It is incorrect to say that it was grape juice, but it is also incorrect to say that it was the same thing as the wine commonly used today. Again, Scripture does not forbid Christians from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. Alcohol is not, in and of itself, tainted by sin. It is drunkenness and addiction to alcohol that a Christian must absolutely refrain from (Ephesians 5:18; 1 Corinthians 6:12).

    Alcohol, consumed in small quantities, is neither harmful nor addictive. In fact, some doctors advocate drinking small amounts of red wine for its health benefits, especially for the heart. Consumption of small quantities of alcohol is a matter of Christian freedom. Drunkenness and addiction are sin. However, due to the biblical concerns regarding alcohol and its effects, due to the easy temptation to consume alcohol in excess, and due to the possibility of causing offense and/or stumbling of others, it is usually best for a Christian to abstain entirely from drinking alcohol. http://www.gotquestions.org/sin-alcohol.html
    sigpic
    Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.


    Comment


    • #3
      I think dependence on any drug is bad. It interferes with our relationship with Jesus.

      Only you can answer the question, "Am I dependent?" AA suggests going without for a month and monitoring your personal responses. It gives someone a good idea of their dependence.

      I have loved ones with drug and alcohol issues. One is with Jesus, and some are still alive. I believe at least one of them loves Jesus and that their alcohol battle is their own.

      I don't judge another's faith walk; we're commanded not to judge. Matthew 7:1

      Personally, given my own high risk of addiction, I avoid it altogether.

      " I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

      Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

      Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

      Matthew 22:9 NIV
      'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’


      I'm praying for you daily!
      I get my Bibles here

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Steve53 View Post
        Question: "What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol / wine? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol / wine?"

        Answer:
        Scripture has much to say regarding the drinking of alcohol (Leviticus 10:9; Numbers 6:3; Deuteronomy 29:6; Judges 13:4, 7, 14; Proverbs 20:1; 31:4; Isaiah 5:1122, 24:9; 28:7; 29:9; 56:12). However, Scripture does not necessarily forbid a Christian from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. In fact, some Scriptures discuss alcohol in positive terms. Ecclesiastes 9:7 instructs, “Drink your wine with a merry heart.” Psalm 104:14-15 states that God gives wine “that makes glad the heart of men.” Amos 9:14 discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God’s blessing. Isaiah 55:1 encourages, “Yes, come buy wine and milk…”

        What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow their bodies to be “mastered” by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything that might offend other Christians or encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol in excess to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

        Jesus changed water into wine. It even seems that Jesus drank wine on occasion (John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29). In New Testament times, the water was not very clean. Without modern sanitation, the water was often filled with bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of contaminants. The same is true in many third-world countries today. As a result, people often drank wine (or grape juice) because it was far less likely to be contaminated. In 1 Timothy 5:23; Paul was instructing Timothy to stop drinking the water (which was probably causing his stomach problems) and instead drink wine. In that day, wine was fermented (containing alcohol), but not necessarily to the degree it is today. It is incorrect to say that it was grape juice, but it is also incorrect to say that it was the same thing as the wine commonly used today. Again, Scripture does not forbid Christians from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. Alcohol is not, in and of itself, tainted by sin. It is drunkenness and addiction to alcohol that a Christian must absolutely refrain from (Ephesians 5:18; 1 Corinthians 6:12).

        Alcohol, consumed in small quantities, is neither harmful nor addictive. In fact, some doctors advocate drinking small amounts of red wine for its health benefits, especially for the heart. Consumption of small quantities of alcohol is a matter of Christian freedom. Drunkenness and addiction are sin. However, due to the biblical concerns regarding alcohol and its effects, due to the easy temptation to consume alcohol in excess, and due to the possibility of causing offense and/or stumbling of others, it is usually best for a Christian to abstain entirely from drinking alcohol. http://www.gotquestions.org/sin-alcohol.html
        Nicely said!!
        Psalm 30:11-12 (New King James Version)

        11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
        You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,
        12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent.
        O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever.



        Pre-Flood!
        Thanks for the citizen title Hoot!

        Comment


        • #5
          steveo - Please go to the Welcome New Members forum and introduce yourself with your testimony.
          "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b


          Jesus + something = nothing

          Jesus + nothing = Everything

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by steveo View Post
            I am a new beliver. I am wondering what your views are
            about drinking. I enjoy having a couple glasses of wine
            With my wife about once or twice a week. I also enjoy
            drinking beer with friends about once or twice a month.
            I dont drive or get stumbling drunk, but we drink alot of
            beer. Is there a limit? Should I quit?
            There's a big difference between drunkards and people who consume alcohol moderately. I'm not against drinking alcohol personally and I respect people who hold to no drinking at all. Addictions as Acts 5:41 mentioned is an issue, one of which is not clearly confined to alcohol consumption.
            sigpic

            Luke 21:28

            "Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near"

            Comment


            • #7
              This is my sin. This comes between me and The Lord. Please pray for me.
              "And we rejoice in the hope of the Glory of GOD. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings because we know that suffering produces perseverance, preseverance; character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us..."

              Comment


              • #8
                Already prayed for!

                I have a whole page in my prayer notebook for people struggling with addiction. You're also covered under several other categories.

                I have a permanent disability because my birth mother drank quite a bit while carrying me. She was enslaved to alcohol - it was awful to watch, even from a distance.

                Special prayers for anyone struggling with that.

                " I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

                Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

                Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

                Matthew 22:9 NIV
                'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’


                I'm praying for you daily!
                I get my Bibles here

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post
                  Already prayed for!

                  I have a whole page in my prayer notebook for people struggling with addiction. You're also covered under several other categories.

                  I have a permanent disability because my birth mother drank quite a bit while carrying me. She was enslaved to alcohol - it was awful to watch, even from a distance.

                  Special prayers for anyone struggling with that.
                  Thanks for that! You are a special lady.
                  "And we rejoice in the hope of the Glory of GOD. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings because we know that suffering produces perseverance, preseverance; character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us..."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    With my family, consuming a little glass of wine at dinner was part of the culture. I still enjoy an occasional glass. Not only that, I am interested in the wine industry and nuances of wine - how it takes the various flavors from the soil in which it is grown, how it ages, how it is made, which grapes grow best where... In short, if you have difficulty with alcohol, stay away. If not, enjoy. I fully believe that Jesus turned water into wine - not grape juice. Sorry if that steps on anyone's toes.
                    For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. ~Ephesians 2:8-9

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Steve53 View Post
                      It is incorrect to say that it was grape juice, but it is also incorrect to say that it was the same thing as the wine commonly used today.
                      Interesting... Can you expound on that?
                      For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. ~Ephesians 2:8-9

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I am not against a person enjoying a glass of wine occasionally.I think that the Bible says that to be drunk is a sin.That is for our own protection.Being drunk can end up with us in alot of trouble.Also the good ole liver is going give out eventually if we abuse alcohol.I know many respected Christians that enjoy a glass of wine or a drink.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I keep this topic simple with myself and other Believers...Remember this, Drunkeness is a sin, its clear in scripture.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The Bible says we are to not do anything that would cause our brother to sin. Let's face it, when someone says the word drinking, what images come to mind? Bars, wild parties, promiscuous behavior, drunk driving accidents, etc. The list goes on and on. If we are honest with ourselves, nothing good comes from drinking. Out of all the testimonials I have heard, 100% have been people turning away from alcohol and not to it. Bottom line, drinking alcohol is wrong for a Christian. When we ask Jesus into our hearts and repent of our sins the Holy Spirit lives on the inside of us. It is His dwelling place. Why would you want to put something so vile into it?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by acrotinger View Post
                              The Bible says we are to not do anything that would cause our brother to sin. Let's face it, when someone says the word drinking, what images come to mind? Bars, wild parties, promiscuous behavior, drunk driving accidents, etc. The list goes on and on. If we are honest with ourselves, nothing good comes from drinking. Out of all the testimonials I have heard, 100% have been people turning away from alcohol and not to it. Bottom line, drinking alcohol is wrong for a Christian. When we ask Jesus into our hearts and repent of our sins the Holy Spirit lives on the inside of us. It is His dwelling place. Why would you want to put something so vile into it?
                              I agree! Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit that indwells believers. Here is a link that I found. http://www.kc-cofc.org/39th/IBS/Tracts/didjesus.htm
                              sigpic John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Love RR Family, Janice

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X