Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious--not trying to open up a can of words, but are tattoos really any differnt than a person having ears pierced. That is a cutting or a mark, too. I've heard people say that 'holes' grow over, but does that make any difference.

Personally, I am not a fan of tattoos, and don't have any, nor do I plan on getting any, but my ears are pierced, (got them pierced in 2nd grade as a present BTW) and my question is: Is there a moral difference in pirecings and tattoos?
    sigpic“My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:40)

BTW, my son is a junior in high school!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mommytoa3rdgradeboy View Post
      Is there a moral difference in pirecings and tattoos?
      'Morality' implies motivation, so my answer is 'maybe'.
      The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
      Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
      (Psa 19:1b-2)

Comment

• There are many who have regretted getting tattooed. I doubt there has been any, who at the end of their days, regretted not getting a tattoo.
        Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Comment

• Originally posted by Jillian View Post
          If personal opinions were left out , there probably would be few posts lol.
          Well, of course. I meant more the opinions that were talking about the type of people who get tattoos. I don't think some people realize how hurtful their comments are to other people (me) on the board. When I read the older tattoo post I was pretty shocked, and turned off by the group because I felt so judged. I almost didn't join, but then I decided it was between me and God, and I wanted to learn, and less between me and people who judge those with tattoos, christian or not. When I posted last night I was thinking more of the christians with tattoos who may be reading this post and getting just as offended as I was. I know some people view tattoos as a sin, and I think its important to remember none of us should be pointing fingers at anyone else's sin, whether we view tattoos that way or not.

I agree that its in the same category as getting your ears pierced.

Comment

• Tattoo

I need help on this one. My wife lost her father and brother last year. Her father died of natural causes, but her brother died 6 months later in a house fire. Now she wants to get a tattoo in rememberance of both of them. She currently doesnt have any tattoos, but thinks that she should get one that has both of their names in it with a banner that says 2008. She asked me about this and I have stood against the idea, but she is addimate that she wants to do this. Am I wrong for telling her not to mark up her body, or is this ok because she doing it as a rememberance of her family that has been taken from her?

Please anyone, thoughts on this.

Comment

• There have been a couple of threads just recently regarding Tattooing. You should be able to find them by doing a Search.
              The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.

Comment

• “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.’” Lev 19:28

Has your wife considered one of those "gone but not forgotten/in loving memory"-type messages with names and dates that people have started putting on their rear windows?

Or maybe a memorial gift or ongoing memorial fund to a Christian organization? Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability is a good way to find a reliable Christian organization to donate to that specializes in whatever field appeals to her.

Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
                ______

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiger Lily View Post
                  “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.’” Lev 19:28

Has your wife considered one of those "gone but not forgotten/in loving memory"-type messages with names and dates that people have started putting on their rear windows?

Or maybe a memorial gift or ongoing memorial fund to a Christian organization? Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability is a good way to find a reliable Christian organization to donate to that specializes in whatever field appeals to her.
                  I am sorry for your wife's loss, I am sure she is hurting.

I like the advice Tiger gave. The memorial sticker for her car is something you could buy for her and wrap up to give her. Then you could offer her some suggestions for some type of a memorial, like the examples given, this would help her heal as she would help others in her father and brother's name. I think this would bring more healing for her than a tattoo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiger Lily View Post
                    “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.’” Lev 19:28

Comment

• Originally posted by Biblenuggetlady View Post
                      I think this would bring more healing for her than a tattoo.

A tattoo certainly shouldnt be the first option...

Comment

• I don't have any advice but my friend who got a tattoo about 4 years ago wishes she had never gotten it. I would steer her in another direction.

Comment

• If you do not approve, she should not. Tiger Lily offered another option. Exploring other options is a good idea in this case.
                          Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Comment

• I'm gonna give the dissenting position here. If she wants one does it really matter? Yes I have gasp tattoo's. I'm prolly gonna get more.

Comment

• Thank you everyone for your answers and support. I am really struggling with this because I stand against the tattoo idea, but Im still trying to be sympathetic to her heart. I do like the rememberance sticker in the car window idea.. I will definatly persue that idea. As for the tattoo, i told her i cant make her not get one, but I definatly dont condone the idea. If nothing else, each one of you that reads this thread, please offer up a simple prayer that God will put it on her heart to question if this is actually the right thing for her to do. I love my wife more then anything else in this world and I know she is still hurting from her losses, but I just cant agree with her that getting a rememberance tattoo is the right thing to do.

once again thank you everyone for your responses.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATYCLB View Post
                                Forget tattoos, branding is the hottest new trend
                                10-28-07
                                http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

It is an agonising procedure now considered too cruel to inflict on animals.

But human branding has become the latest twisted fashion trend for young professionals who regard straightforward tattoos and piercings as passe.

They happily pay up to £70 to have red-hot metal brands or cauterising pens, which burn at more than 1,000C, permanently scar their skin with a design.

Comment

Working...
                                X