No announcement yet.

Important subjects to study?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JPE, I have handed out a fair amount of Bibles to Muslims and it's a very mixed bag.

Some, I think, had demon issues.

Most are very polite in accepting it.

Some have asked me for another, the next time they saw me. What happened to the first? Better not ask!

A few have sincerely thanked me.

The first muslim man I met was very abusive with his family, but oh so polite to me. I was friends with his daughter.

I'll be praying for your family issues.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
    'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
    I get my Bibles here

Comment

Originally posted by old_andy View Post
      Imho, when one has a basic understanding of human nature, it is much easier to wrap one's mind around the actions of those we have contact with and to understand society.
      Excellent subject to understand for the believer, very profitable for discernment, and for understanding the word.
      Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Comment

If you are looking for current Christian authors, I highly recommend Randy Alcorn for both fiction and non-fiction. He's really great!
        For the truly faithful, no miracle is necessary.
        For those who doubt, no miracle is sufficient.
        --Nancy Gibbs

Comment

Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post
          I read a "romance novel based on the Bible" based on the story of Rahab.

I DID NOT like it. It wasn't accurate. She married a completely different Israelite than the guy they had as her "love interest" at the end of the book. It was fiction, very loosely based on the Bible.

It also stated the walls of Jericho went down because they were poorly built, not due to any divine intervention.

"One night with the King" was another one that took MANY liberties. Haman was not an Amekelite! He hated the Jews because he felt Mordacai had disrespected him; so he chose to punish the whole race.

Two from Galilee was probably one of the better ones I read; but I felt it had a very strong catholic bent. Mary the saint... the line about the "ecstasy as she became one with God and He possessed her" sounded downright raunchy to me.

I am pretty uptight, if you want to read interesting stories about the Bible, I think you really need to go to the Bible. After you've read it through a couple times, then go read the fiction so you can spot the inaccuracies. I'd never suggest a seeker or new Christian read that stuff.

One thing I've considered getting for my own collection, one of those beautifully illustrated comic book or Manga Bibles. They are wonderfully illustrated.

To restate what I "study":
          Bible
          Cults
          Evangelism
          By and large I agree with you Acts but if you remember I said I was pretty choosy as to christian authors I read. The few authors, Rivers, Rosenberg, LaHaye/Jenkins I did endorse were well written and bible based and did prompt me to check out scripture when it was used as a device in these books. Also because they are fiction, I kept in mind while reading that literary licence was taken. Having said that I appreciated the way my own imagination was stimulated when reading the author's account and then the biblical account.

I don't like 'christian romance' novels and also couldn't finish One night with the King and that reflects probably my taste in reading more than anything. I read much more along the bible commentary lines and fiction to relax. Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my post.

Comment

Originally posted by Raynbowz View Post
            If you are looking for current Christian authors, I highly recommend Randy Alcorn for both fiction and non-fiction. He's really great!
            My daughter and I have read and enjoyed some. Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by old_andy View Post
              Human nature. I have been going through the OT and despite our advancements and technology, people (the human race) never changes. God was so extravagant in His blessings for the nation of Israel and still they rebelled...repented...rebelled...repented..and so on.

Imho, when one has a basic understanding of human nature, it is much easier to wrap one's mind around the actions of those we have contact with and to understand society. We see actions and attitudes of those today match the behavior of the ancients.

Also, it gives me a greater appreciation of God's grace.

jmho

Comment

I definitely read quite a bit about Darwinism, the fallacies and provable inaccuracies ( origin of species and common ancestry are 2 points that are easily shredded without even bringing a creator into a discussion..after you take away their footing and the foundation of their atheisim, it is much easier then to introduce the concept of a "code writer" behind all of those complex genetic codes )

I also like reading about vegetable gardening, flower gardening...and of course I'm always trying to learn more to be better at treating my patients. I review all peer reviewed material I can get my hands on for neuro-muscular rehabilitation.

Mostly it is the Bible that I'll grab in the evenings however- even if for only a chapter or two. I just can't seem to stay interested very long in the predictable secular fiction and political books- even ones written by authors I share the same viewpoint with- well these books just make me feel angry and I have to put them away.

Comment

I can only concur with the above posters - particularly in the area of discernment of cultic material that "sounds like" Christianity.

Interesting how these subjects only cost some time to research, and little money - contrast that with the many "earmark" research topics your taxpayer dollars have funded for our "education". Just one example: 2006: Wine research $7,556,660. Hardly an industry that needs help.

Comment

Originally posted by Kliska View Post
                    Quantum Mechanics?
                    Its not as silly as you may think at first glance.

God created it all, but most of the 'fiddly bits' arent discussed in Scripture. QM, along with Cosmology and Relativity makes attempts to do just that.
                    The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
                    Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
                    (Psa 19:1b-2)

Comment

Poppy, I actually prefer the Inspirational romances to the stuff that's "bible-based". The romances are clearly, and obviously, entirely fiction. No question about "Is that really in the Bible" or not. I don't have to deal with the XXX "love scenes" you'd find in a regular romance, which are immoral and obscene.

I'm also a helpless geek. If I have $20 to spend at the Christian bookstore, I'm getting Bibles for handout. I get the inspirational stuff at the thrift store, when I'm looking for good condition (guess what?) Bibles for handout.

Say one of the Bible recipients looks me up one day. "Heather, I'm a new Christian now!" YAY! "What do you suggest I read to strengthen my faith? I'd suggest they stick to reading the Bible, maybe get themselves a good study Bible, and read up on cults.

That's what I'd suggest. I know some churches do use "Bible Fiction" for book clubs and all.

I know in the early days of the board we had probably over a hundred people who got saved from reading "Left Behind". God can use anything to lead people to Him.

My job is maintaining a good witness and prayer warrior.

Now you've got me thinking about a blog, my suggested reading list. One for atheists/unbelievers. One for Christians. One for "seekers".

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

I get my Bibles here

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                        Interesting how these subjects only cost some time to research, and little money - contrast that with the many "earmark" research topics your taxpayer dollars have funded for our "education". Just one example: 2006: Wine research $7,556,660. Hardly an industry that needs help.
                        Precisely!!

Originally posted by Hootmon View Post
                        Its not as silly as you may think at first glance.

God created it all, but most of the 'fiddly bits' arent discussed in Scripture. QM, along with Cosmology and Relativity makes attempts to do just that.
                        Hoot, never meant implied it was silly; I spend a large chunk of my free time currently studying Quantum Mechanics. I actually find there is a lot in the current research that makes a lot of scriptural sense, and has "spiritual" implications.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts; keep 'em coming if you think of any more!

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Comment

I enjoy researching different things relating to science, physics, chemistry, astronomy, etc. It's amazing how many things point to the magnificence and astounding complexity of God's creation.

I've also made a remarkable discovery. The number of minutes I spend researching any given subject is directly related to the number of Advil it takes to get rid of the headache. Oh to have my 25 y.o. body back.

Comment

Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post
                            Poppy, I actually prefer the Inspirational romances to the stuff that's "bible-based". The romances are clearly, and obviously, entirely fiction. No question about "Is that really in the Bible" or not. I don't have to deal with the XXX "love scenes" you'd find in a regular romance, which are immoral and obscene.

I'm also a helpless geek. If I have $20 to spend at the Christian bookstore, I'm getting Bibles for handout. I get the inspirational stuff at the thrift store, when I'm looking for good condition (guess what?) Bibles for handout.

Say one of the Bible recipients looks me up one day. "Heather, I'm a new Christian now!" YAY! "What do you suggest I read to strengthen my faith? I'd suggest they stick to reading the Bible, maybe get themselves a good study Bible, and read up on cults.

That's what I'd suggest. I know some churches do use "Bible Fiction" for book clubs and all.

I know in the early days of the board we had probably over a hundred people who got saved from reading "Left Behind". God can use anything to lead people to Him.

My job is maintaining a good witness and prayer warrior.

Now you've got me thinking about a blog, my suggested reading list. One for atheists/unbelievers. One for Christians. One for "seekers".
                            You are a wag, let me take a stab in the dark here as to the content of your blog reading list, Bible, Bible, Bible and just for a change Bible
                            If you're a Bible geek then I guess I'm just a book freak, I love the smell of bookshops and libraries.

Comment

To the OP..

History, all levels and interpretaions of history, 10.000 ft views, microscope views, views of outsiders, views of insiders, views of idiots and sages. After a while the truth becomes clear.

After History I enjoy philosophy. The process of examining truth and it's components is very telling.

Above all, I love the expository teaching of the WHOLE Bible.

Just the examination of the decline of the Roman Empire shows how the development of Roman Catholicism was more of a secular movement than they would ever admit. Nature abhors a vacuum and the RCC shows that anything can get sucked into the void to fill the space.

Jeff

Comment

Poppy, I am a Bible geek.

That's all I've got on my menu.

Generally, these days I have pretty limited comprehension and low energy, so after work, housekeeping, God Time (pray and Bible Study), and a little internet, I've got nothing left!

I get my Bibles here

Comment

Working...
                                X