I am so confused

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am so confused

I accepted Jesus into my heart when I was 5, that was a loooong time ago! I feel like I should be further along in my walk with Christ, but for many, many years I read books by many teachers who I now come to find out aren't good, and I listened to my pastor (after alot of research I think he is dominion theology) and trusted him and these authors only. While I did read the Bible, I also read the other books for more understanding.
    So since I've been reading my Bible more and more and figuring out everyone I've listened to all those years, may not be the best teachers, it seems as though I'm just getting saved and learning everything all over again.

That being said.. I've quickly scanned through the thread of calvinism, I still don't know what reformed is, I just read on a website, jesus is savior .com that Ray comfort is not a good teacher. I thought he was, but when I got one of his books about making sure your children really are saved, I was filled with fear and doubt that they were not, even though I was by their side when they recieved Jesus.

I told my husband the other day, please try and read your Bible, he said I dont' understand it, so I'm not going to. Then I wonder, is he really saved? Last night I was watching a program with my teenage son, Lisa Ling's Our America about gays coming out of that lifestyle and the Exodus program. Then they had a "christian camp" for gay kids but they embraced being gay. I was trying to explain to him, like all sin, it is a daily struggle for them and just because your saved doesn't mean you won't struggle with sin. But I wondered myself, am I explaining this right to my son?
    I am questioning myself, and from what I've read online, I'm wondering... do I even know how to share the gospel?

I know I have to read the BIble and trust it only, but I don't always understand it. So what books can I read that are ok, to help me understand the Bible. I do pray for understanding. but there are still things I don't understand. And then, do I have the right Bible? I don't want to jump into legalism, but I also just read that NIV bibles are not good!

All of these questions and confusion, really bother me.

Arnold Fruchtenbaum's "Footsteps of the Messiah" enabled me to read and enjoy the old testament as I now believe I understand much better what I'm reading... so I'd recommend that to you.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Comment

I found that once I got a good study bible that has the notes on the bottom that help explain the passages, I was able to gain a much deeper level of understanding (even if it just lays out who was speaking, the context of the passage in relation to the surrounding passages, etc.). I like that the notes also give examples of how to apply the verse or principal to everyday life. It's definitely not a replacement for my regular bible, but it's a good study tool. Plus, it has the notes in the margins that cross references the verses with other verses that are similar (for example it shows how a verse in the New Testament corresponds with one in the Old Testament).

Comment

Originally posted by proverbs31 View Post
        I found that once I got a good study bible that has the notes on the bottom that help explain the passages, I was able to gain a much deeper level of understanding (even if it just lays out who was speaking, the context of the passage in relation to the surrounding passages, etc.). I like that the notes also give examples of how to apply the verse or principal to everyday life. It's definitely not a replacement for my regular bible, but it's a good study tool. Plus, it has the notes in the margins that cross references the verses with other verses that are similar (for example it shows how a verse in the New Testament corresponds with one in the Old Testament).
        those are called study Bibles?

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
          Arnold Fruchtenbaum's "Footsteps of the Messiah" enabled me to read and enjoy the old testament as I now believe I understand much better what I'm reading... so I'd recommend that to you.
          Thanks I will check that book out!

Comment

Originally posted by hurryupJesus View Post
            I accepted Jesus into my heart when I was 5, that was a loooong time ago! I feel like I should be further along in my walk with Christ, but for many, many years I read books by many teachers who I now come to find out aren't good, and I listened to my pastor (after alot of research I think he is dominion theology) and trusted him and these authors only. While I did read the Bible, I also read the other books for more understanding.
            So since I've been reading my Bible more and more and figuring out everyone I've listened to all those years, may not be the best teachers, it seems as though I'm just getting saved and learning everything all over again.

That being said.. I've quickly scanned through the thread of calvinism, I still don't know what reformed is, I just read on a website, jesus is savior .com that Ray comfort is not a good teacher. I thought he was, but when I got one of his books about making sure your children really are saved, I was filled with fear and doubt that they were not, even though I was by their side when they recieved Jesus.

I told my husband the other day, please try and read your Bible, he said I dont' understand it, so I'm not going to. Then I wonder, is he really saved? Last night I was watching a program with my teenage son, Lisa Ling's Our America about gays coming out of that lifestyle and the Exodus program. Then they had a "christian camp" for gay kids but they embraced being gay. I was trying to explain to him, like all sin, it is a daily struggle for them and just because your saved doesn't mean you won't struggle with sin. But I wondered myself, am I explaining this right to my son?
            I am questioning myself, and from what I've read online, I'm wondering... do I even know how to share the gospel?

I know I have to read the BIble and trust it only, but I don't always understand it. So what books can I read that are ok, to help me understand the Bible. I do pray for understanding. but there are still things I don't understand. And then, do I have the right Bible? I don't want to jump into legalism, but I also just read that NIV bibles are not good!

All of these questions and confusion, really bother me.
            Are you trying to read the KJV? If so, don't feel bad, while it's the *preferred* translation of many, I also find it hard to understand. I recommend the NASB. It's in plain English - I also have the New King James, which I really like. Again, written in plain English.

I used to use an NIV but what you've heard is right, there *are* some translation issues, so I've laid it aside

So once you get yourself a "plain-english" Bible, why dont you start with the Gospels, or even just the Gospel of John, and work your way through the New Testament?

If you want a great old preacher who can help illuminate the Bible for you, look up J. Vernon McGee on the internet, his "Through the Bible" series are classics, and excellent.

Don't worry about understanding "what a Calvinist is" - it's a human doctrine thought up by a human being (named Calvin), and it causes a lot of confusion - or what "reformed" is..... it's not necessary to understand any of that stuff in order to be saved.

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
              Arnold Fruchtenbaum's "Footsteps of the Messiah" ... so I'd recommend that to you.
              I second this recommendation. A good copy can usually be found online at Amazon or Half.com

Originally posted by proverbs31 View Post
              I found that once I got a good study bible that has the notes on the bottom that help explain the passages, I was able to gain a much deeper level of understanding (even if it just lays out who was speaking, the context of the passage in relation to the surrounding passages, etc.).. Plus, it has the notes in the margins that cross references the verses with other verses that are similar (for example it shows how a verse in the New Testament corresponds with one in the Old Testament).
              I use one of these, too, and it has done the same for me. Very helpful.

Originally posted by Nightelf View Post
              Are you trying to read the KJV? If so, don't feel bad, while it's the *preferred* translation of many, I also find it hard to understand. I recommend the NASB. It's in plain English - I also have the New King James, which I really like. Again, written in plain English.
              I used to use an NIV but what you've heard is right, there *are* some translation issues, so I've laid it aside

So once you get yourself a "plain-English" Bible, why don't you start with the Gospels, or even just the Gospel of John, and work your way through the New Testament?
              If you want a great old preacher who can help illuminate the Bible for you, look up J. Vernon McGee on the internet, his "Through the Bible" series are classics, and excellent.
              Don't worry about understanding "what a Calvinist is" - it's a human doctrine thought up by a human being (named Calvin), and it causes a lot of confusion - or what "reformed" is..... it's not necessary to understand any of that stuff in order to be saved.
              I agree 100% with everything you've written here, Nightelf, especially the recommendation to listen to J.Vernon McGee. I Wish you well in your study, hurryupJesus. In six months, you'll be surprised at how much more you will understand. God blesses obedience. In Jeremiah, He said, If you seek me, you will find me when you search for me with all your heart. Indeed, He more than meets you half way.
              sigpic
              -Lynn

Comment

I think the most important things anyone can to do be a good Christian:
                1. Use the Bible as your sole input; spend at least 15 minutes reading it daily.
                2. Get a Bible you can understand. I read at about a 7th grade level now due to medication.
                3. Pray and ask God to help you understand the Bible and guide you.
                4. Make a list of those who done you wrong, and pray for them (Jesus actually commands this in Matthew 5:44).
                5. Make sure you are also praying for the unreached, other Christians, and everyone worldwde.
                6. Also pray for God to protect and guide you, friends, and family.
                7. Keep the commandments.
                8. Share Him; and it is perfectly OK to say "I don't know, but I still believe". You don't have to go to apologetics , but if someone asks, share Him.

" I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Matthew 22:9 NIV
                'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I'm praying for you daily!
                I get my Bibles here

Comment

Originally posted by Acts5:41 View Post
                  3. Pray and ask God to help you understand the Bible and guide you.

Being confused before is what spurred me on to dig for the truth until I found it. I'm sure the Lord had something to do with that, He works in mysterious ways. I branched out to word and subject studies, and then more systematic theology type studies. The studies are never ending hurryupJesus, but maybe you can start with the thing that confuses you the most. Get a bible like the NIV, a concordance, and a KJV along with a Strong's concordance, and then start studying. It may seem daunting at first, but you'll pick it up, and it will lead to other studies. You can ask questions here if you want when something needs clarified or you have questions. This is one way to start anyway, just dive in.
                  Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Comment

Originally posted by HeIsEnough View Post

Being confused before is what spurred me on to dig for the truth until I found it. I'm sure the Lord had something to do with that, He works in mysterious ways. I branched out to word and subject studies, and then more systematic theology type studies. The studies are never ending hurryupJesus, but maybe you can start with the thing that confuses you the most. Get a bible like the NIV, a concordance, and a KJV along with a Strong's concordance, and then start studying. It may seem daunting at first, but you'll pick it up, and it will lead to other studies. You can ask questions here if you want when something needs clarified or you have questions. This is one way to start anyway, just dive in.
                    what is the difference between a concordance and a strongs concordance? Do I need both?

Comment

Strong's Concordance is very large and is kind of the 'gold standard' for concordances. I've owned one before, but it was the exhaustive copy and too cumbersome for regular daily use, for me at least.
                      There is a smaller, more manageable concordance in paper back called Cruden's. The Strong's is keyed to some study Bibles (like mine) where some of the words in the text of Scripture are numbered to the Greek(NT) or Hebrew/Chaldee (OT) original languages of Scripture. You then look up the number in Strong's and there will be the original language with a broader definition, and citing Scripture references for the use of this word. A lot of serious Bible students enjoy looking at the original languages of Scripture without having to learn the languages themselves. They merely match the number that appears in their study Bible to the number in Strong's. I've enjoyed having this study Bible that has a limited Strong's Concordance in the back of my Bible, published by (AMG INternational).

The Cruden's, however, is set up like a dictionary, where you can look up a word that you know appears somewhere in Scripture, (such as fear), and the concordance will list the word 'fear' with all the Scripture references that use that word. I have a Cruden's, and it sure comes in handy when I need to locate verse and can't remember exactly where it is. I think you can find a concordance on line, maybe at www.blueletterbible.com, but it's nice to have your own copy that you can carry around and use when not on the computer. But you can visit their site and get a sense of what it looks like to use a concordance. You can google search for Strong's, and most likely find a better description than what I've given here.
                      sigpic
                      -Lynn

Comment

The posts above are all very good. Another way to learn the word is through tracts. They are written for a variety of age levels and topics. The ones I like are cartoon type and are attractive to everyone. http://www.chick.com/default.asp Chick tracts have been a part of my life since I was first saved 20 years ago. Not all topics are easily digestible but if you buy the complete assortment pack you can just set them on an end table and let your family pick up what interests them.
                        Good for you for hungering for a greater understanding of HIS WORD. HE will help you.
                        Last edited by Amen; March 10th, 2011, 08:13 AM. Reason: corrected spelling

Comment

Originally posted by hurryupJesus View Post
                          what is the difference between a concordance and a strongs concordance? Do I need both?
                          The concordance would be for the NIV, or maybe the NASB, I'm sure there are others. Like Amen said, the Strongs concordance is tied to the KJV. You can also go to the bible study form and look at the esword sticky, it is an offline program which really makes study go much faster, with some traditional commentaries. It is a free program. Also, my wife got the complete bible on CD. Hearing God's word read aloud brings the scripture 'more to life' in a way sometimes. Or the other suggestions stated here, just that we do it.
                          Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Comment

Working...
                          X