Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think?

Hey everyone!
    I have a bit of a problem. I have been a christian for about 40yrs now and have never been baptized. My teens and I began attending a church last January and decided to get baptized and become members. I have attended church in the past but never became a member. Well, we went through a membership class and spoke with the pastor about being baptized. I asked him if we should set up an appointment to meet with him and he said no he would call us beforehand. He never called and the baptism is later today. My family is quite upset to the point that my 20yr old daughter is taking this to heart and feels we should not go back there. IDK.
    So I called my sister who has been involved in her church for many many years and she was very surprised. She said that generally the pastor meets with you prior to the baptism and if he can't then he should've had one of the deacons meet with us.
    I am trying to give the pastor the benefit of the doubt by saying he was busy or whatever but again IDK. I want to be loving and not blaming but have to admit we feel kind of "rejected".
    What do you guys think?

Jennys3,

In my humble opinion I think this brings up judging which is something we all struggle with. Judging only happens when we come to a conclusion without knowing all the facts. If someone does or does not do something or something does or does not happen it is not judging to state that as a fact and to feel about it however we will. The judging comes in when we decide for our self why the person did what they did or why the event happened. So in the case of the Pastor not calling you and setting up your baptism, you know this happened but you don't know why. Your family is upset because they think there is no good reason the Pastor did not call you. The problem is they do not know there is no good reason, that is just what they think.

What do I think you should do? In all cases you should bring all things to the light, meaning get all the facts you can. How do you do this? Ask the Pastor directly why he did not call your family and set up the baptism. You might say, well he could just lie and make up some lame excuse. That is true and if he does, that is his sin, but for you and your family you should trust what he says until such time you find out factually that he is not telling truth.

Wouldn't you want to be treated this way? (:

God Bless!
    Goodboy

Comment

I like goodboy's response. Remind the pastor that he was to get back to you on this and ask if everything is in order without that contact. Give him a chance to explain. You can always get baptized there and if later, you and yours don't feel good about that church being your church home, you can look for another. We all fall short and the oversight might be nothing more than an oversight.
      Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

I agree with what both of you are saying and I am trying not to be judgemental and give him the benefit of the doubt. My family and I just feel disappointed and overlooked. I think that if a pastor is having a baptism he should be on top of who he is baptizing and make sure they are prepared for it. Am I wrong to think that this is an important part of his job? IDK. I know we all make mistakes, pastors or not. I am just saddened by it that's all. I do know he didn't do it intentionally...and I forgave him already.

Comment

Pastors have an immense amount of responsibilities to juggle. I know someone who felt similar to the way you feel, they felt that they needed the pastor and the pastor wasn't there... but this was an emergency situation where the spouse was critically ill/dying. Pastors are expected to be super-heros. Weddings, funerals (which obviously aren't planned), visiting the sick, directing the church staff, praying for the church members, preaching each Sunday, and baptisms. I'm sure I missed things too.

I agree with goodboy and TT. I know it is after the fact now, but I would urge you to be direct with the pastor. Not only about your feelings, but about your daughter's feelings. Tell him you all feel disappointed, overlooked, and saddened. Maybe you can meet with him after the baptism just as an encouragement for your family?

The other piece of this is the spiritual - our enemy would like nothing better than to steal your joy today. So he plants emotions and suspicions this morning about the pastor, to ruin what should be a beautiful day of baptism.

Please let us know what happened today... did you get baptized?
          "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
          always abounding in the work of the Lord;
          knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Comment

The other piece of this is the spiritual - our enemy would like nothing better than to steal your joy today. So he plants emotions and suspicions this morning about the pastor, to ruin what should be a beautiful day of baptism.
            Yes the enemy does this to us all day every day!!!

Comment

Hello,
              No we still have not been baptized. Kind of a long story but the church secretary did call the next day and apparently the baptism date had been changed! And so we were given the new date. Well then I happen to mention that we hadn't attended in 3 weeks due to my auto immune arthritis (not rheumatoid but similar) and so they put me on the prayer list. Then still having problems with the arthritis I called them to tell them we were just going to wait on the baptism because I didn't think I could physically manage it and my daughters and I wanted to do it together. Our Pastor got on the phone and prayed with me. He asked me if there was anything he or the church could do for us and said they have all been praying for me since they found out why we weren't there. Anyway they also sent a beautiful card and note and a very nice lady we met there has been sending me cards of encouragement. The Pastor said to keep in touch letting them know specifically what to pray about and if there is anything they can do to help us out. Hopefully I will begin to feel better and be able to return and sit through the services soon!! I am looking forward to that.
              Thank you everyone. I know Pastors are VERY busy and have many things on their plates that we don't see.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Top

Without baptism in Jesus' name for the remission of your past sins, you are a goner. (Acts 2:38)
                Without baptism, you cannot crucify the flesh with the affections and lusts. (Gal 5:24)
                Without baptism, you can't join Jesus in His death, burial, and especially in the resurrection of Jesus Christ so you can walk in newness of life...rebirth. (Rom 6:3-7)
                I wouldn't wait even one more day to get baptized.
                How, then, would you explain away the Thief on the Cross and his entry into Paradise?

3 trees

Comment

Without baptism in Jesus' name for the remission of your past sins, you are a goner. (Acts 2:38)
                  Without baptism, you cannot crucify the flesh with the affections and lusts. (Gal 5:24)
                  Without baptism, you can't join Jesus in His death, burial, and especially in the resurrection of Jesus Christ so you can walk in newness of life...rebirth. (Rom 6:3-7)
                  I wouldn't wait even one more day to get baptized.
                  Everything Jesus did, is imputed unto us for righteousness, therefore......

Jesus was/is sinless.Then so are we.
                  Jesus fulfilled the law. Then so did we.
                  Jesus was baptised. Then so are we.
                  Jesus death and shed blood paid the full price for sin. Then so we are sinless in Him also.

Salvation is a ‘works-free’ gift given by God, and nothing needs to be done by us except believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and God.

You are in a seriously dangerous place if you think your salvation is based on or, is based upon what you do or don’t do.

Getting baptised will not save you, and not getting baptised will not condemn you.

Only a refusal to accept the free gift and unconditional offer of salvation, earned at the cross, is what will condemn you, not whether you got baptised or not.

Comment

AMEN !

Baptism isn't a "work of the Mosaic Law".
                    You should reread post 8 for my reasons to be baptized.
                    Not one of them was to acquire salvation.

How does one crucify the flesh with the affections and lusts, without baptism? (Gal 5:24)
                    How is the cleansing blood of Christ applied to you, without baptism?
                    Your approach is circular in its references, first to be saved you need to accept the free gift offer of the Cross. There is no other way to be saved, and if you don't hold to that then you try to 'do something' to make yourself right with God, which is a work, and works don't save anyone..

The 'works' we refer to are not necessarily part of the 613 Levitcal laws. There are people around, like yourself, who try to do other things like see a 100 old ladies across the road every day, or get baptised, and expect God to consider them worthy of Him for it.

Remember this, Jesus plus something equals nothing, Jesus plus nothing equals everything.

A work is a work, is a work, and nothing you do will save you.

Even if you wash yourself in the baptismal pool every day for the rest of your life, its a 'work' that you can boast about, and it will still not save you, only Christ can save you.

You state yourself at point 8 that the person should not wait another day to get baptised, why do you say that if it's not for salvation then?

What are your saying here then? It seems you are of the belief that if he doesn't get baptised, he would be 'lost'?

That's salvation by works in case you didn't know it.

Comment

My understanding is that baptism is not a necessary act for salvation, but is a confession of faith in Christ, to make our decision to accept Him as our Savior public to those around us.

Comment

Originally posted by kathymendel View Post
                        My understanding is that baptism is not a necessary act for salvation, but is a confession of faith in Christ, to make our decision to accept Him as our Savior public to those around us.
                        Correct

We get baptised because we are saved not to get saved.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRedeemed View Post

Correct

We get baptised because we are saved not to get saved.
                          Amen!

3 trees

Comment

Without the Holy Spirit we cannot crucify the flesh. Our being baptized does not do it or we would get the credit for crucifying the flesh by our own actions alone. Apart from Him, we can do nothing. Period.

Comment

Your conclusion didn't mention any of the scriptures I supplied to validate MY conclusion.
                              I guess you also conclude that obedience to God is forbidden because it is a work.
                              I hope not...

Jesus said..."He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."
                              I believe it.
                              There is no obedience to God required for salvation, that's the law once again you're using.

It is impossible for any human to be obedient to God completely for the span of a lifetime, if it were so then there would have been no need for the cross.

Your path to salvation removes the possibility of being saved to those, like the thief on the cross, and which was also raised by another brother, who have no chance or opportunity to get baptised before they expire. That makes God's plan a failure as He has passed the final outcome from Himself to you and the rest of humanity.

The circular reference point I made doesn't require scriptural quotes.

I stated very clearly that it is Jesus who saves a person and not what they do to save themselves.

Why do you need scriptures for that? I am presuming you are claiming to be a born again Christian of course.

Unless and until you fully accept that it's Jesus who saves you, and not some boastful act also that you have added to His plan, then you will continue to misread and misinterpret the scriptures.

It was already pointed out by myself about the imputation of Jesus' fulfillment and deeds being attributed to us for righteousness, and that included his being baptised, so that we don't have to be.

I note also that you failed to answer the questions I posed, but instead let me ask you another simpler question.

Who is Jesus Christ to you?

Last edited by TheRedeemed; August 8th, 2018, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X