Flu, evolution, mutation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flu, evolution, mutation

Was having a conversation with a similar aged friend who thinks we haven't gotten the flu despite recent exposure, because we've had it before.
    That lead me to think about creation. I don't believe in evolution and wonder if mutation is just evolution with a different name.
    Have these viruses always been on earth, or are they really mutating, evolving?
    The dogs are barking, someone is knocking on the door...

Please pray for Lindsey's salvation

When we get the flu, during the process of our body's fighting and it and defeating it, our body develops a resistance to that particular bug.

When a flu causing bacteria is attacked with antibiotics, and then if some of those bacterias that have been doing battle against the antibiotic survive to live and infect another, it appears that the bacteria(s) develop a resistance to the antibiotic just like people develop a resistance to a flu we've had (if we win). I don't know what the definition of mutation is, but it just seems like God made living things so they could develop resistances to somethings things they survive.
    Last edited by Tall Timbers; February 7th, 2018, 06:40 PM. Reason: change microbe to bacteria
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

Measles, chicken pox are caused by virus and they don't mutate into something new every year.
      I'm not sure I believe all the hype.

Comment

How about polio? It's had decades to mutate

Comment

Do all viruses mutate or just flu?

Comment

Cindy, I don't even know if "mutate" is the right word, but I don't believe it is hype when a bacteria (not a virus because antibiotics are not used to treat viruses) of some kind that has been treated by antibiotics in the past develops a resistance to antibiotics used against it. If that were hype, and I don't believe it is, the medical world wouldn't be so concerned about controlling the use of antibiotics to minimize the chance of mis-use in the form of people not taking the whole prescription which usually needs to be done to complete the assault and beat the infection. The so-called superbugs that concerns the world today are just known bacteria that have developed a resistance to known antibiotics.

Do you think it's hype that when people get sick from a bacteria that they're said to develop antibodys to that specific bacteria? Modern medical knowledge tells us that the production of antibodys is the primary function of the femoral immune system in our human bodies. If our human system can develop antibodys, it's not much of a leap to figure that bacteria that can make us sick can also develop defenses against things that attack them.

Polio is a virus so isn't treated with antibiotics. However, a mutated Polio virus has been documented. Measles is also a virus and there is no known treatment to kill it. The measles that infects people may have evolved from a cow virus. Chicken Pox is also a virus so is not treated with anti-biotics. Ack, just google mutant chicken pox...

I was gonna add some more stuff that I found on the interweb, the the knowledge base in this area is quite large and I guess I've already exceeded my own ability to be interested.
            Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

Hmm I will have to think on that. I don't have much respect for the medical community as a whole. I could go on a rant but I will spare everyone.

Comment

I just wanted to point out that influenza is also a virus, not a bacteria. And I am thankful for the medical community! Yeah, there's a lot of hype out there. And I don't get the flu vaccine, because the times I did, I got sick. But, correlation is not causation, I could have been already exposed. Thankfully I work from home and don't have to be exposed to a lot of people in closed spaces during flu season, so my risk must be lower. I wash my hands a lot. One day it will catch me out tho, I'm sure.

A mutation is an error in DNA replication, or damage to DNA from something like radiation or a carcinogen. A bug developing resistance is different.

I believe in microevolution, but not macroevolution.

That's about all I know about that. I'm a pixel pusher, not a doctor or scientist!

Comment

Working...
                X