Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

Is God Jealous?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is God Jealous?

Is God Jealous?

I recently watched an old clip from the Oprah Winfrey show where Oprah stated that she began to question the God of the Bible when she read in the Bible that God was a jealous God. She stated that she had a hard time believing in a God that was jealous. So the first response that one may have to this is to find out if God is indeed jealous. Well the answer to that is yes, as it is stated in the Bible as per below.

Deuteronomy 5:9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me.

The second response that one may have to this would be to find out if being jealous is evil, a sin or a bad characteristic? Is there a case where being jealous is the correct response? So at this point it may be good to look up the definition of jealous.

Here are the three definitions of the word jealous from Websterís dictionary below.
    1. Hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage.
    2. Intolerant of rivalry or unfaithfulness.
    3: Vigilant in guarding a possession.

So then which of the three definitions above is God referring to when he states that he is jealous and are any of them a correct response to the event. As I would never want to put God in a box or speak for him, let me just say I believe God is referring primarily to definition number two. So letís see if definition number two is a correct response or not.

Most of us including me when we hear the word jealous we think it is a bad trait for someone to have. Let us look at the word jealous only considering definition number two. Is it wrong to prevent a rival from intruding on what you have or what you think? Is it wrong to have a problem with someone who is unfaithful? If your spouse was to cheat on you, I would expect the proper response is to be jealous of that act. I am not saying that they cannot be forgiven, just that if you love them the feeling of jealously is correct.

So why is God jealous? Because ALL you have and are came completely form God. If you give that credit and praise to someone or something else, God is jealous of that, which is the correct response. Letís say you have done an excellent job raising your child and given them everything they could want. They later want nothing to do with you and give all the credit to someone they just met who has done NOTHING for them. The correct response would be to become jealous of that, as per definition number two.

Definition number three can also be viewed as a correct response if we consider the fact that we are Godís possession and he vigilantly guards us from evil and harm.

Yes God is a jealous God, but he has every right and reason to be!!!

Goodboy

Amen!

Comment

I am glad he is a jealous God!!!

Comment

I agree 100% with you. Then again Oprah is trying to start her own religion. We should be happy that He is a jealous God, jealousy in some forms shows that we are loved. If He wasn't a jealous God would He have loved us so much that He was willing to die for our sins? As we know, those of us who are saved, there are many people who will look for ANY reason not to worship or serve God. People look for reasons to serve self. We knew from scripture that there would be a great falling away. I look at how many people make gods of themselves, their children, their homes, their money. I pray for these people, and I know that with God all things are possible, but narrow is the gate and few be that find it. I am so sorry that there are neighbors, friends and family that are just not willing to listen.
        There was an article about how a particular church or denomination is now no longer going to use Gender for God. Wait, What? Christian Church in Canada is allowing an Atheist to be pastor! How does that even work? I know toward the end times things are going to happen very quickly, but honestly there are things that I am seeing that I never thought would happen in my life time. Not in the United States. I thought in other countries, but not here. Shows I guess how naÔve I was. I just hope and pray that the true Christians will wake up and get out from under the false teachings that are going on. God bless you and I am thankful that people like you are making things such as this known to others that hopefully will wake up some.

Comment

Aren't we made is HIS image? If so, wouldn't be correct to surmise that the feelings and emotions we have are traits of His feelings and emotions? Doesn't God laugh? (Ps 2:4); Did Jesus weep? (Jn 11:35); Was God sorry for making man and was grieved? (Gen 6:6); Does God love? (Jn 3:16)
          Need I say more? Thank God we are like Him, and I'm glad He is jealous for me!

Comment

Working...
          X