Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Shroud of Turin: Is it Authentic?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Shroud of Turin is a Fake.

    Joh 20:7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

    Jesus had a smaller cloth that they called a napkin around His head. The Shroud of Turin is one big cloth, clearly not Jesus's cloth.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by kjlistrom View Post
      The Shroud of Turin is a Fake.

      Joh 20:7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

      Jesus had a smaller cloth that they called a napkin around His head. The Shroud of Turin is one big cloth, clearly not Jesus's cloth.
      Thank you. A little research into scripture goes a long way.
      How long, O Lord?

      Comment


      • It's one of thsoe things where I think a lot depends not only on the closeness of the friendship but on how strong of a Christian you are.

        Paul speaks of things like this, I think, in 1 Corinthians 8 when he speaks of eating meat sacrificed to idols. Some can eat of it safely not bothered by the fact because they know the idol isn't real and has no effect on them. Others might be bothered by it or even think the idol has some power. It's not a bad thing to be weaker - we're all different. But, it's important to see where you are spiritually and whether you can view this without being led to think it's some important thing that influences your belief or lack thereof in Christ.

        And, if you should go, perhaps that is something you can share with your friend and lead into the4 Gospel with; along with anyone else who is there. Just a simple question like, "You know, that was wonderful; I'm not sure if I believe in it, but thankfully, whether or not it's true, God's Word says Jesus took my punishment when he died and then rose from the dead " Or something like that.
        John 3:16 (KJV) For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

        Comment


        • As long as you know the truth (it's fake), eh. If you want to be nice and really have nothing more interesting to do, you might use the Scriptures to point out the fallacy of the shroud. Make it a witnessing opportunity.

          It's not a big deal if you go or if you don't. But now that you know the truth, you have an answer to anyone who asks you of it. And with it perhaps an open door to speak about further things; the Gospel of our Lord Jesus.

          Comment


          • Don't go.

            I get invited to all kinds of stuff on FB, and I never go.

            The worst they will do is unfriend you. So what?

            " I have had an increasing burden to engage in some down and dirty, street evangelism." March 6, 2010

            Isaiah 6:8 I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “ Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?”

            Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

            Matthew 22:9 NIV
            'So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’


            I'm praying for you daily!
            I get my Bibles here

            Comment


            • Originally posted by kjlistrom View Post
              The Shroud of Turin is a Fake.

              Joh 20:7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

              Jesus had a smaller cloth that they called a napkin around His head. The Shroud of Turin is one big cloth, clearly not Jesus's cloth.



              I would probably go just to bring up this scripture to see what they would do.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ANewCreature View Post
                It's one of thsoe things where I think a lot depends not only on the closeness of the friendship but on how strong of a Christian you are.

                Paul speaks of things like this, I think, in 1 Corinthians 8 when he speaks of eating meat sacrificed to idols. Some can eat of it safely not bothered by the fact because they know the idol isn't real and has no effect on them. Others might be bothered by it or even think the idol has some power. It's not a bad thing to be weaker - we're all different. But, it's important to see where you are spiritually and whether you can view this without being led to think it's some important thing that influences your belief or lack thereof in Christ.

                And, if you should go, perhaps that is something you can share with your friend and lead into the4 Gospel with; along with anyone else who is there. Just a simple question like, "You know, that was wonderful; I'm not sure if I believe in it, but thankfully, whether or not it's true, God's Word says Jesus took my punishment when he died and then rose from the dead " Or something like that.

                Great advice!! My 22 year old daughter is someone that I would consider to be weaker in her faith and so I try to act accordingly.

                Also, I would like to say that for me, personally, I would love for the Shroud of Turin to be real. I don't believe that it would contain any power, it wouldn't "prove" to me that Jesus lived, died on a cross and was resurrected (I already know and believe those things), I would not be inclined to worship it. Yes, I have a personal relationship with Him, I know His spirit lives within me, I have dedicated my life to Him (though my heart breaks so much that I am still so hopelessly full of sin) and I am looking forward to spending eternity with Him.

                But...the human side of me, the physical side of me still longs to see something with my eyes that perhaps He has touched. Or to walk where He had walked (someday I want to visit the Holy Lands). I don't know much about the RCC or their beliefs but I am gathering from this thread that they do believe such things contain power?

                Anyway, I think your advice was spot on! Truly, the Bible has an answer for every question!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by TimothyK View Post
                  As long as you know the truth (it's fake), eh. If you want to be nice and really have nothing more interesting to do, you might use the Scriptures to point out the fallacy of the shroud. Make it a witnessing opportunity.
                  It's not a big deal if you go or if you don't. But now that you know the truth, you have an answer to anyone who asks you of it. And with it perhaps an open door to speak about further things; the Gospel of our Lord Jesus.
                  Sounds good to me. Some of the apologetics web sites, such as Answers in Genesis or Institute for Creation Research might even have some articles on this which would bolster your refutation of the shroud actually being the burial cloth of Jesus. http://www.answersingenesis.org/sear...urin&search=Go
                  sigpic
                  -Lynn

                  Comment


                  • Shroud of Turin Documentary: decided NOT to attend

                    Dear everyone, thank you all for your thoughtful & Scriptural responses re: the Shroud of Turin; DH & I decided NOT to attend the documentary but DID post a 'thank you' & a 'heads-up' to the woman who invited us.

                    It's a lady from the town I grew up in who has been a lifelong parishoner of the RC parish I grew up in & was married in.

                    We look at it this way: this woman, whose close to my parents' age (late-60's) obviously figures from my FB page & postings (99% about the soon return of our Lord & the End Times) that we're 'religious' now, ie, 'into God, Jesus, etc' for lack of a better term, & felt it was something we'd really enjoy & appreciate.

                    The intent was good & that's what we responded to; I mentioned to beware of the Shroud b/c of Jesus' face being wrapped w/ a separate napkin-like covering (John 20:7), but told her I'm sure its historically significant & wonderful just the same.

                    I didn't want to come off like an elitist since I've only been saved a few years & know I've got a long, long way to go in God's eyes & wanted to show respect, etc.

                    I also asked her to please tell our former priest (who got snippy w/ me several years ago b/c I was asking him prophecy questions, etc. & he clearly couldn't answer them or didn't want to) that we love him & are praying for him.

                    We felt this was a responsible response & hope no offense is taken (the LAST thing I want to do is have my parents hear I was on my 'religious high-horse' as they consider it w/ folks from a parish I attended most of my life).

                    Thank you all again for your replies; we've been thinking this over heavily all week & just recently have made our decision.

                    Thanks again
                    Peace, love, life, and kindness to ALL of God's Creatures

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by XMaryX View Post
                      Dear everyone, thank you all for your thoughtful & Scriptural responses re: the Shroud of Turin; DH & I decided NOT to attend the documentary but DID post a 'thank you' & a 'heads-up' to the woman who invited us.

                      It's a lady from the town I grew up in who has been a lifelong parishoner of the RC parish I grew up in & was married in.

                      We look at it this way: this woman, whose close to my parents' age (late-60's) obviously figures from my FB page & postings (99% about the soon return of our Lord & the End Times) that we're 'religious' now, ie, 'into God, Jesus, etc' for lack of a better term, & felt it was something we'd really enjoy & appreciate.

                      The intent was good & that's what we responded to; I mentioned to beware of the Shroud b/c of Jesus' face being wrapped w/ a separate napkin-like covering (John 20:7), but told her I'm sure its historically significant & wonderful just the same.

                      I didn't want to come off like an elitist since I've only been saved a few years & know I've got a long, long way to go in God's eyes & wanted to show respect, etc.

                      I also asked her to please tell our former priest (who got snippy w/ me several years ago b/c I was asking him prophecy questions, etc. & he clearly couldn't answer them or didn't want to) that we love him & are praying for him.

                      We felt this was a responsible response & hope no offense is taken (the LAST thing I want to do is have my parents hear I was on my 'religious high-horse' as they consider it w/ folks from a parish I attended most of my life).

                      Thank you all again for your replies; we've been thinking this over heavily all week & just recently have made our decision.

                      Thanks again
                      :
                      sigpic
                      -Lynn

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X