X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BorrowedTime
    started a topic 10 Commandments in the Age of Grace

10 Commandments in the Age of Grace

Alright guys, time to ask here cause google keeps pulling up SDA interpretations and I can't deal with that headache anymore. Study guides are welcomed and discussion as well.

So here are my questions

1) If Christ fulfilled the Law (Mosaic) then that should be over and done correct? (Please no red herring "giving license to sin" argument.)

2) With verses like Galatians 5:1-4 it seems to imply a need to resist going back to the law as a "yardstick" correct?

3) 10 commandments are they or are they not apart of the WHOLE law?

4) Is this less confusing than I'm making it?

I keep hearing a lot these days that if you refuse to follow the 10 commandments you are not saved (no I don't really care about their opinions regarding that) you are some disobedient heretic. The only other troubling argument is the "we love Christ so we are going to follow them!" which is why I brought up Galatians 5:1-4 and I know we here know about Acts and Peter and James not wanting to yolk Gentiles with something they couldn't even do. To me the Commandments give us great insight into the Holy Holy Holiness of God! When ever I fail at one (not that I try to) it just humbles me to think I can't even keep the basic part of it and Jesus did it fully!

The fruit of the Spirit seems to be more of the guideline for us in the Age of the Gentiles correct? Galatians 5:22-23

I'll leave this as it is for now as I'm sure more questions will arise.

Thank you!

• Trust&Obey
    replied
    Hill Top,

1 Corinthians 1:1-3
    Paul called the church of Corinth, both "sanctified" and "saints" despite the fact that he then goes on to address their divisions in the church, immorality and other aberrant beliefs and practices.

It is Jesus and Jesus alone who confirms us to the end. God is faithful, we are merely ones who have faith in Him. As others have said, it is clear from scriptures listed above by others that we still struggle with our sin nature.

1 Corinthians 1:8-9
    8 who will also confirm you to the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Consider this:
    1 Corinthians 1:18-31
    Careful that you are not boasting. It sounds like that to me.

Leave a comment:

• TimothyK
    replied
    10 Commandments in the Age of Grace
    ... Are wholly adequate for living a peaceful, lawful, and fairly fulfilling life this side of Heaven. It's grounded in God's Word when the world as it stands is Godless and broken. However it is wholly inadequate for the salvation of ones soul.

Honestly reflecting on the 10 Commandments reveals us as spiritually bankrupt, broken, and unable to truly meet the standards of these 10 Commandments. Let alone the 613 Commandments (Mitzvot) God gave to the Jews. This is simply the default position of mankind post-fall.

None of us keeps them both in heart and in deed and if we're expecting to be made right by the Law, failing in even one small part makes you as guilty as if you had failed every single one. The standard is perfection. We fall short. The Law condemns.

Only by grace through faith in Jesus Christ is any of us made right with God.

In the previous dispensations before Christ it was permissible to have faith in the coming of the Redeemer and adhere to the Law as best as one could. But it was never the Law itself that made one right with God. It was always the faith component.

The Law was always designed as a mirror for the soul, to expose mankind to the hopeless situation he is in that he might cry out to God in faith for mercy and forgiveness. And it was God's pleasure to provide both back then and now.

The patriarchs and the prophets and the faithful of the past looked forward to the coming day of Jesus Christ and found salvation for their souls. Those of us today are blessed to be born in a time when God's work of redemption for mankind is finished, and on offer for the whole world. For anyone so willing.

The fall of mankind came about as a simple choice. The redemption and salvation of mankind by God's boundless grace and great sacrifice, also comes about by a simple choice.

Romans 7:4-6
    So, my dear brothers and sisters, this is the point: You died to the power of the law when you died with Christ. And now you are united with the one who was raised from the dead. As a result, we can produce a harvest of good deeds for God.

When we were controlled by our old nature, sinful desires were at work within us, and the law aroused these evil desires that produced a harvest of sinful deeds, resulting in death.

But now we have been released from the law, for we died to it and are no longer captive to its power. Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit.
    The rest of Romans 7 would probably be an excellent read for OP or anyone else confused about the Law and the Commandments and where they stand in the life of a Christian.

Leave a comment:

• Hill Top
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve53 View Post

Exactly which church are you referring to?
    We use the title..."The church by Christ Jesus (Eph 3:21)"
    And no, we don't have any web site.

Leave a comment:

• Hill Top
    replied
    Originally posted by chaser View Post
    1 John 1:8 8If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
    If we are born again in Christ, we are washed by the all cleansing blood of the lamb, all sins past,present and future are covered which is a good thing because while we stay in these earthly bodies we will error and sin whether in thought, word or deed.
    I have to ask...is it OK with the moderators if we discuss THIS topic? (Life without sin?)
    If not, you can delete the entirety of this post.

In 1 John 1, John is addressing two different kinds of walk and two different kinds of men.
    One walks in darkness, and cannot say he has no sin.
    The other walks in the light, which has already been identified as God.
    We know full well that there is no sin in God, so those who walk in Him, the light, must also have no sin.

I walk in the light, and have had ALL my past sins washed away by the blood of Christ.
    I will continue to walk in God, as I have availed myself of the gift of repentance...a permanent "turn from" sin.
    I also have partaken in the gift of baptism; thereby crucifying the flesh, burying it, and have been raised with Christ to walk in newness of life.
    My "earthly body" is dead and buried, and I have been raised with Christ as a new creature.
    With the gift of the Holy Ghost, I can reject every temptation brought against me...thanks be to God.

Leave a comment:

• Steve53
    replied
    Originally posted by Hill Top View Post

Isn't Jesus coming back for an unspotted, unstained bride-church?
    That is the church I am a member of.
    Thanks be to God.
    Exactly which church are you referring to?

Leave a comment:

• chaser
    replied
    1 John 1:8 8If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
    If we are born again in Christ, we are washed by the all cleansing blood of the lamb, all sins past,present and future are covered which is a good thing because while we stay in these earthly bodies we will error and sin whether in thought, word or deed.

Leave a comment:

• Hill Top
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve53 View Post

And if you believe you are living sin free since your baptism, you're deluding yourself.
    Isn't Jesus coming back for an unspotted, unstained bride-church?
    That is the church I am a member of.
    Thanks be to God.

Leave a comment:

• Steve53
    replied

Thank you for your suggestion.
    If you are ever interested in researching further, about life without sin, please feel free to contact me.
    As for "sin lurking behind me", my past sins were washed away by the blood of Christ when I was baptized, (in the name of Jesus Christ), into Christ's death.
    That is when I was reborn of godly seed that cannot bear further devilish fruit.
    And if you believe you are living sin free since your baptism, you're deluding yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Hill Top
    replied
    Originally posted by TRex2 View Post

I see no further reason to struggle with you.
    It is fine to "walk upright," and we should always strive to do so,
    but when you, as Martin Luther did, find your sin lurks behind
    every action you accomplish, I suggest you go in search of Grace.
    Thank you for your suggestion.
    If you are ever interested in researching further, about life without sin, please feel free to contact me.
    As for "sin lurking behind me", my past sins were washed away by the blood of Christ when I was baptized, (in the name of Jesus Christ), into Christ's death.
    That is when I was reborn of godly seed that cannot bear further devilish fruit.
    Last edited by Hill Top; August 8th, 2018, 01:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TRex2
    replied
    "The highway of the upright is to depart from evil: he that keepeth his way preserveth his soul." (Pro 16:17)
    I see no further reason to struggle with you.
    It is fine to "walk upright," and we should always strive to do so,
    but when you, as Martin Luther did, find your sin lurks behind
    every action you accomplish, I suggest you go in search of Grace.

Leave a comment:

• Hill Top
    replied
    Originally posted by ArkieTuzi View Post

Proverbs 16:18
    "The highway of the upright is to depart from evil: he that keepeth his way preserveth his soul." (Pro 16:17)

Leave a comment:

• TRex2
    replied
    Originally posted by ArkieTuzi View Post

Agree.

Leave a comment:

• Hill Top
    replied
    I see those who have been convinced of their own self righteousness
    will jump through grammatical hoops and twist Scriptural reasoning
    into awesome pretzels to defend their point of view.
    What of those whose righteousness is God given?

The reason I wanted to clarify the difference between "not sinning"
    and "keeping the law" is Romans 7:1-6
    And Galatians 3:1-14
    Thank God we need not be "in the flesh" anymore !

Leave a comment:

• ArkieTuzi
    replied
    I see those who have been convinced of their own self righteousness
    will jump through grammatical hoops and twist Scriptural reasoning
    into awesome pretzels to defend their point of view.

The reason I wanted to clarify the difference between "not sinning"
    and "keeping the law" is Romans 7:1-6
    And Galatians 3:1-14

Leave a comment:

Working...
X