Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doesn't John 3:5 require baptism for salvation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No, sounds fine to me. I was baptized in the Presbyterian church as a baby, and then Baptized by full immersion as an adult. I survived.
    sigpic
    I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. John 14:18

    Comment


    • I was baptized as a baby (Catholic church) then got baptized (full immersion, nondenominational Bible church ceremonies in a local lake) as an adult......on the same day/place as my teenage daughter!

      Thank you, Mary Rae, for your lovely picture!

      "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
      ______

      Comment


      • I still remember my dad telling me I didn't need to be baptized as an adult because they had me baptized when I was a baby.

        Children need to make their own decisions for the Lord, your parents can't baptize you into heaven.

        I also remember my conversation with a church leader when I was so upset they couldn't baptize me before Y2K and I said how
        can they let someone go to Hell (without baptism) just because they couldn't fit me into the schedule.

        Yes, I have learned a lot. I learned baptism without relationship with Jesus, just gets you wet.

        I studied the word, learned a lot here on RR, a LOT! Then I got baptized 10/21/2001.

        I didn't have any excuses, either. I was raised in the church (christian reformed), was sent to Christian Schools and everything.
        I guess I just wasn't interested or wasn't ready.
        The dogs are barking, someone is knocking on the door...

        Please pray for Lindsey's salvation

        Comment


        • Robin, I think that would be fine since you have a healthy understanding of what baptism is, what it means and you are teaching that to your children.

          My oldest daughter (22 now) was baptized in an Episcopal church when she was 7 months old. Don't remember if the church taught that she would need to make the decision herself one day or not but I always believed that was the truth and taught it to her. She was baptized in our Baptist church 4 years ago with me!

          Comment


          • Thank you all. I appreciate your feedback. I'll let DH run with the infant baptism thing, then and I'll continue teaching the littles that they can choose immersion when they are ready in the future.
            "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment." (Matthew 22:37-38)

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Robinbobbin View Post
              Thank you all. I appreciate your feedback. I'll let DH run with the infant baptism thing, then and I'll continue teaching the littles that they can choose immersion when they are ready in the future.
              Sounds good to me!
              sigpic
              -Lynn

              Comment


              • Many, many people believe they were saved when sprinkled or immersed in water as a baby. It's a dangerous Catholic teaching that has leaked into Protestant churches. Because of this deception I don't believe true Christians should add to the confusion and potential harm to others by following the bad examples set by Rome.

                Comment


                • I agree with baby dedication but do not understand if you view baby dedication as kind of infant baptism why you would want to do both.
                  To show love is to be Christ like.

                  Comment


                  • Always best to use a little baby shampoo when washing a babies head, as this will temporarily clean their little head and wont hurt their eyes.

                    Comment


                    • Just as a gentle reminder; this is more about your husband's faith that your child's. Does your husband understand that baptism does not save, and that whether or not your child is baptized doesn't make a difference to that child or to God? Lutherans and Catholics, and others that believe in infant baptism believe that baptizing actually bestows an inward grace on the child that unbaptized children do not receive... we have to make sure that our hope is in Christ, not in water, our trust is in Christ, not in water. I don't think it is something to have marital discord over, but it is something that you guys should talk about, IMO.

                      I was baptized as a child, but was lead very strongly by the Spirit when I was older to choose baptism as a public profession of my faith... that tells me what I need to know about child baptism.

                      Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Kliska View Post
                        Just as a gentle reminder; this is more about your husband's faith that your child's. Does your husband understand that baptism does not save, and that whether or not your child is baptized doesn't make a difference to that child or to God? Lutherans and Catholics, and others that believe in infant baptism believe that baptizing actually bestows an inward grace on the child that unbaptized children do not receive... we have to make sure that our hope is in Christ, not in water, our trust is in Christ, not in water. I don't think it is something to have marital discord over, but it is something that you guys should talk about, IMO.

                        I was baptized as a child, but was lead very strongly by the Spirit when I was older to choose baptism as a public profession of my faith... that tells me what I need to know about child baptism.
                        Kliska, it was my understanding that Robin does indeed understand the points you are making here. It would be good, however, to discuss these salient points with her dh, but since they go to a Bible church (no longer Lutheran) I was assuming that he, too, has the correct view of baptism, and they were more or less doing this as part of the tradition of the extended family who have baptized the children as babies. Really, as a couple, they need to pray about the matter and see where God leads them. I agree with someone who posted after me and mentioned that they might not want to add to the mix of confusion that Rome has brought into Protestantism. As you know, it's tough to have extended family with religious rituals that they expect the succeeding generations to follow when the younger generation has left the former denominational church that follows these traditions.
                        If I were going to edit my earlier post, I might suggest to Robin and her dh that they discuss with their family that they don't think infant baptism has any benefit, but they were willing to do it, if it means something to the grandparents. Perhaps this is still a compromise, not necessarily a good one, but they will need to make the decision.
                        sigpic
                        -Lynn

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Lynn View Post
                          Kliska, it was my understanding that Robin does indeed understand the points you are making here. It would be good, however, to discuss these salient points with her dh, but since they go to a Bible church (no longer Lutheran) I was assuming that he, too, has the correct view of baptism, and they were more or less doing this as part of the tradition of the extended family who have baptized the children as babies. Really, as a couple, they need to pray about the matter and see where God leads them. I agree with someone who posted after me and mentioned that they might not want to add to the mix of confusion that Rome has brought into Protestantism. As you know, it's tough to have extended family with religious rituals that they expect the succeeding generations to follow when the younger generation has left the former denominational church that follows these traditions.
                          If I were going to edit my earlier post, I might suggest to Robin and her dh that they discuss with their family that they don't think infant baptism has any benefit, but they were willing to do it, if it means something to the grandparents. Perhaps this is still a compromise, not necessarily a good one, but they will need to make the decision.
                          My DH and I have discussed it at length on multiple occassions. that's why I think its time to acquiesce on the infant baptism, as long as there is nothing wrong with a child getting a real baptism in the future after getting sprinkled as a baby. He agreed to change churches a couple of years ago and is supporting me in having the kids at a Christian preschool, attending CBS (Community Bible Study) and this is I think his last big hurrah with the Lutheran dogma. That and he's getting tremendous pressure from his 80 year old father... but he also agrees with me that the children need to elect to be baptized by full immersion in the future when they are old enough to understand the decision they are making. I think tradition is as much at play here as anything else...
                          "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment." (Matthew 22:37-38)

                          Comment


                          • Infant Baptism

                            (Mod Snip) Unattributed quotes from numerous sources not cited (Mod Snip)
                            Last edited by Steve53; March 6th, 2014, 08:25 AM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by RandallB View Post
                              Infant Baptism

                              Mod Snip
                              This is the exact type of thing that the Roman Catholics like to post in support of their idea the baptism saves you; water baptism. Do you believe that baptism saves? Do you believe that baptism with water is what regenerates someone, and "forgives" original sin?

                              Tradition is fine in some circumstances, but we must always guard the word of God, for we know that tradition can make void that word. When people replace faith with religion, there can be serious problems. The idea behind infant baptism is that God sees the baptized child differently than the non-baptized; that is trusting the water and the baptism more than God.

                              Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Kliska View Post
                                This is the exact type of thing that the Roman Catholics like to post in support of their idea the baptism saves you; water baptism. Do you believe that baptism saves? Do you believe that baptism with water is what regenerates someone, and "forgives" original sin?

                                Tradition is fine in some circumstances, but we must always guard the word of God, for we know that tradition can make void that word. When people replace faith with religion, there can be serious problems. The idea behind infant baptism is that God sees the baptized child differently than the non-baptized; that is trusting the water and the baptism more than God.
                                Wow,

                                I will answer your direct question --- Does baptism save you ----> Of Course Not.

                                I will PM you regarding the rest.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X