Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doesn't John 3:5 require baptism for salvation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That also puzzles me too. My mother's church is like that. It was only those who were new and never been baptized. If you were already batized in another church you don't have to be baptized again if you transfer. I have often wondered if the preacher thinks he saved a soul just by stating that they must be baptized before becoming a membership. I think one should want to be baptized whether they want to become a member or not.

Comment

• Being Baptized is good but it is not a salvation issue.You are not going to Hell if you were not Baptized.Look at the thief on the cross.

Comment

• I go to a Baptist church. To join the church, one must be saved, baptized and take a new membership class. However these are church rules. The new members class is good--lets you know what to expect, explains the church docterine, roles of different people.... I feel free there. As far as the Lords Supper, anyone in the congeration is free to partake.

I have a long history with man made rules. When I learned about freedom in Christ, well, that made a big difference in my relationship with Him and the way I live my life. Praise The Lord!!
        John 1:29 Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world

Revelation22:17 Both the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!"

Comment

• my IndieFundie Baptist church does not require baptism or membership. at least i don't think so. i am still unbaptised (i have a raging anxiety of public appearances in general and i haven't felt an overwhelming desire that overcomes that personality flaw) and most of the head members know it. i have attended the Lord's Supper there and have never been 'corrected' for not being a member. Our pastor does greatly stress having a clean heart before participating, but that seems to be the only requirement that is expected and its left private- nobody questions you.

Comment

• Originally posted by icebear View Post
            my IndieFundie Baptist church does not require baptism or membership. at least i don't think so. i am still unbaptised (i have a raging anxiety of public appearances in general and i haven't felt an overwhelming desire that overcomes that personality flaw) and most of the head members know it. i have attended the Lord's Supper there and have never been 'corrected' for not being a member. Our pastor does greatly stress having a clean heart before participating, but that seems to be the only requirement that is expected and its left private- nobody questions you.
            You can be Bapitzed in your bathtub at home.

Comment

• JoyJoyJoy, my church is the same way. Anyone can attend the church, but to vote on church matters, you have to be a committed member. We understand that baptism doesn't make you saved, but is a public confession and commitment of faith, and needs to go along with membership to show your committed to JESUS, not the actual church itself. (If I said that right...)

I was raised catholic... and that's ALL about rules and regulations. I can totally tell the difference.
              How long, O Lord?

Comment

• Originally posted by IlovemyJesus View Post
                Growing up a Southern Baptist I followed the "rules" of the denomination and will have to say I never experienced "true freedom" in my christian walk. I have now grown in the Lord from personal Bible study and have come to realize many things that I was taught growing up weren't scriptual, but man made to keep me and others in line. With all of that said there is something that still puzzles me and I can't find scripture to back up this Baptist belief: "baptism is a prerequisite to the privileges of church membership and to the Lord’s Supper."

I understand this is a "Baptist" church ordinance, but I can't find any scripture to back it up. Can you all help? Thanks!
                There isn't scripture to back that up... But, some churches pull from certain scripture to try to show you aren't saved unless you are baptized. Also, many congregational heads feel it is up to them to police who is and who is not saved in regard to taking communion in their church, since Paul teaches about eating and drinking damnation onto oneself by partaking of communion without discerning the symbols of the Lord's body and blood.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Comment

• The IFB we attended, clearly stated it was not a matter of salvation;

It was however a public profession of faith and was required for voting membership.
                  It did not matter where or how - immersion was the way they did it - but it had to be genuine and Biblical - infant baptism did not count.
                  It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Kliska View Post
                    There isn't scripture to back that up... But, some churches pull from certain scripture to try to show you aren't saved unless you are baptized. Also, many congregational heads feel it is up to them to police who is and who is not saved in regard to taking communion in their church, since Paul teaches about eating and drinking damnation onto oneself by partaking of communion without discerning the symbols of the Lord's body and blood.
                    Thank you, I've looked for scripture and could not find any. I know there are many people that are Baptized and do not know Jesus, one of the many reasons I have a problem with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by IlovemyJesus View Post
                      Thank you, I've looked for scripture and could not find any. I know there are many people that are Baptized and do not know Jesus, one of the many reasons I have a problem with this.
                      Esp. when they were baptized as a baby... That is why it is important that we realize baptism is an outward sign, not a guarantee.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Comment

• Need info about baptism

My faith is relatively new and I've learned a lot already and throughout my life.. but I'm confused by the prospectively of baptism. Is it a false teaching? I know its not wrong to not be baptized, but is it wrong to be baptized as an adult?
                        John 15:13
                        "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

1 John 4:16
                        "And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."

Comment

• (Nate, this was moved from the other thread so it gets the attention it deserves.)

No, it's not wrong to be baptized, in fact, Jesus commanded it. It is not necessary for salvation but it symbolizes our salvation. Jesus told His followers to be baptized.

Here's some more info on it:

Question: "What is the symbolism of water baptism?"

Answer: Water baptism symbolizes the believer’s total trust in, and total reliance on, the Lord Jesus Christ, as well as a commitment to live obediently to Him. It also symbolizes unity with all the saints (Ephesians 2:19), that is, with every person in every nation on earth that is a member of the body of Christ (Galatians 3:27-28). Water baptism expresses this and more, but it is not an entrance into Christianity. Instead we are baptized because our Lord commanded it and because we obey Him. "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit” (Matthew 28:19).

Before we are baptized we must come to believe that we are sinners in need of salvation (Romans 3:23). We must also believe that Christ died on the cross to atone for our sins, that He was buried, and that He was resurrected to assure our place in heaven (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). We then turn to Jesus, asking Him to forgive our sins and to be our Lord and Savior, and the moment we do that we are born again, our eternal salvation is guaranteed, and we begin to die to ourselves and live for Christ (1 Peter 1:3-5). At this time we are qualified to be scripturally baptized.

At the river, pool or baptismal font, we let ourselves be completely immersed in the water. This symbolizes burial with our Lord; we are baptized into His death on the cross and are no longer slaves to self or sin (Romans 6:3-7). When we are raised out of the water, we are symbolically resurrected—raised to our new life in Christ and to be with Him forever, born into the family of our loving God (Romans 8:16).

The fact that baptism is not a prerequisite for salvation is best seen in the example of a saved man who was not baptized in water, the criminal on the cross (Luke 23:39-43). This self-confessed sinner came to acknowledge Jesus as his Lord while dying on a cross next to Him, and he asked for salvation and was forgiven of his sins. Although he never experienced water baptism, at that moment he was baptized into Christ’s death, and he then was raised to life by the power of Christ’s word (Hebrews 1:3).

Christians have been commanded to be baptized, and we should do so out of obedience to, and love for, our Lord Christ Jesus (John 14:15). Water baptism is the biblical method of baptism because of its symbolic representation of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. http://www.gotquestions.org/water-baptism.html
                          "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b

Jesus + something = nothing

Jesus + nothing = Everything

Comment

• Alrighty that makes sense. But what happens if you sin even though you were baptized? Is there any real significance to that? Is it understandable to be baptized even though you know you may still sin? I'm committed to my faith in Jesus, and I do my best to turn away from temptations, will being baptized help even more for that? Or is the only real hope of finally being free of sin is for Jesus to take us away from it (rapture) or die with him in our hearts?

Sorry about all the questions! And I figured my question would be moved but i appreciate it!
                            "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

"And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."

Comment

• Originally posted by Nate928 View Post
                              Alrighty that makes sense. But what happens if you sin even though you were baptized? Is there any real significance to that? Is it understandable to be baptized even though you know you may still sin? I'm committed to my faith in Jesus, and I do my best to turn away from temptations, will being baptized help even more for that? Or is the only real hope of finally being free of sin is for Jesus to take us away from it (rapture) or die with him in our hearts?

Sorry about all the questions! And I figured my question would be moved but i appreciate it!
                              Baptized people still sin, unfortunately. So do unbaptized people. Baptism is, simply put, a public declaration that you're fully committed to God, and that you trust and rely on him. The vast majority of Christians understand that baptism doesn't remove your sniful nature.

Jesus is the only real hope of finally being free of sin, yes.

Hope that's a satisfactory answer. If I'm wrong anywhere, feel free to correct me.

Comment

• Originally posted by RanYakumo View Post
                                Baptized people still sin, unfortunately. So do unbaptized people. Baptism is, simply put, a public declaration that you're fully committed to God, and that you trust and rely on him. The vast majority of Christians understand that baptism doesn't remove your sniful nature.

Jesus is the only real hope of finally being free of sin, yes.

Hope that's a satisfactory answer. If I'm wrong anywhere, feel free to correct me.
                                That's basically what I was feeling was correct. I so badly want Jesus to free us from sin completely! I'm excited.

Comment

Working...
                                X