Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

understanding what Jesus meant, and also interpreting Scripture literally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• understanding what Jesus meant, and also interpreting Scripture literally

Hi again,

I've been dealing with some ppl (some Catholics, some new converts to Christ) about correctly understanding what Jesus said. Most believers who have studied the Word know that He spoke in parables. But so often, ppl take His words out of context, especially the "judge not" scripture. Another one they've misunderstood is "He who is without sin let him cast the first stone," Some have used that to claim only God can judge.

I also know that there are many things Jesus said which appear to sound like something different than what He actually meant. How do I help ppl to understand that?

Also, should we take all of Scripture literally, aside from the obvious figures of speech? I am not sure if doing so is the right thing.
    Thanx
    love in Christ Jesus & prayers,
    Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

https://gracethrufaith.com/topical-s...ret-the-bible/
    sigpic
    Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Comment

This is a big help, I appreciate it.
      However, I'd also like to know how to help ppl understand precisely what Jesus was saying and meant? His words and statements are often used out of context by misinformed ppl.
      Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

Comment

If the folks to whom you are referring need to realize that very, very few verses in Scripture stand on their own. Divorcing verses from their context can and will lead folks off the road and into the weeds in a hurry.

My suggestion would be to gently point folks with misunderstandings to the proper context of the verses they offer that seem to point in another direction.

As far as the parables themselves are concerned, it's a bit more difficult to just simply explain their meanings because of all the shadows and types used within them. It's the very thing that confounded the Pharisees. Over on Jack Kelley's site, you can do a topical or word search for parables and discover a wealth of Q&A's and articles Jack's wife has archived. Happy hunting!
        sigpic
        Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Comment

Lynda

I am ready to go!!!

Comment

As for "parables," I like what Dr Thomas Ice has to say, here (and have posted this quote of his, in the past):

"These five parables [in the Matt 24-25 passage of the Olivet Discourse] are important lessons that relate to Israel. In fact, I would go so far as to say that all the parables in the New Testament relate directly to Israel. Often they relate to Israel’'s rejection of Jesus as their Messiah and speak of consequences that will flow from such an act. Christ told His disciples in Matthew 13:10-17 that He would speak to ” this people” (Israel) in order to blind them to the truth because of their rejection of Jesus as the Messiah. However, believers could come to understand the meaning of His parables because we are receptive of the revelation offered by Christ. Therefore, they all relate to Israel in some way, shape, or form and usually tell us something about God’ s plan for the future.

"The parables within the Olivet Discourse, when they speak of a coming, all relate to the second coming and not the rapture of the church. This is true because the entire Olivet Discourse was given to Israel and relates to her tribulation and Christ’'s return at the end of that period. Truths relating to the rapture of the church are revealed exclusively in the New Testament Epistles, which were written specifically for the purpose of explaining the intent and nature of the Church age."

https://www.raptureready.com/2014/11...by-thomas-ice/

However, those who do not understand the distinction between Israel and the Church likely will not grasp the quote above.

Comment

Working...
            X