Trusting God

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trusting God

What a change we see in Abraham from Chapter 12 of Genesis to Chapter 13. In Chapter 12, Abraham (well, Abram) goes down to Egypt because of a famine. There, he becomes concerned that his life is in danger. His wife, Sarai, is attractive and he thinks if Pharaoh knows that they are married, Pharaoh will kill Abram and take Sarai. He gets Sarai to hide the fact they are married, from Pharaoh.

It is pretty amazing that Abram was so weak in faith, he was willing to allow his wife to be in Pharaoh’s bed. In fact, he got rich from it. Pharaoh thought that they were just brother and sister, so not only did he not kill Abram, but he blessed him with “sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, male and female servants, and camels.” (Gen. 12:16)

Yet God’s hand was on Abram. Even in weakness, the Lord protects them both. A plague came on Pharaoh’s house because he had taken another man’s wife. He sends Abram away with his wife and all the goodies he received.

more at: https://kehilanews.com/2018/01/11/trusting-god/
    Last edited by HeIsEnough; February 1st, 2018, 09:46 AM.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

What a change we see in Abraham from Chapter 12 of Genesis to Chapter 13. In Chapter 12, Abraham (well, Abram) goes down to Egypt because of a famine. There, he becomes concerned that his life is in danger. His wife, Sarai, is attractive and he thinks if Pharaoh knows that they are married, Pharaoh will kill Abram and take Sarai. He gets Sarai to hide the fact they are married, from Pharaoh.
    I always found that part a little strange. Probably because of todays environment. One would think if it was his sister, then she is fair game. Apparently, they liked to kill and take the wife, back in that day.

It is pretty amazing that Abram was so weak in faith, he was willing to allow his wife to be in Pharaoh’s bed. In fact, he got rich from it. Pharaoh thought that they were just brother and sister, so not only did he not kill Abram, but he blessed him with “sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, male and female servants, and camels.” (Gen. 12:16)

Yet God’s hand was on Abram. Even in weakness, the Lord protects them both. A plague came on Pharaoh’s house because he had taken another man’s wife. He sends Abram away with his wife and all the goodies he received.

I'l have to check that out.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Comment

Sorry TT, I keep hitting the wrong button when I post.
      Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Comment

Originally posted by HeIsEnough View Post

Sorry TT, I keep hitting the wrong button when I post.
        With the bugginess we're experiencing since the software update, hitting the wrong button on occasion may provide superior results
        Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

Matthew 8:18 Now when Jesus saw a large crowd around him, he gave orders to go to the other side of the lake.

Matthew 8:28 When he came to the other side...

Two statements, with a life lesson on trust in-between.

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post

What about the lack of change in Abraham between chapters 12 and 20 when he again tried to pass Sarah off as his sister? What was he afraid of? Death. This reminds me of Heb 2:15 where the fear of death is seen as bondage. What was it that broke that bondage though? The Resurrection!

Although Abraham is noted for his faith, his fear of death outweighed his faith at times, causing him to sin. It took many years for Abraham's faith to strengthen. It was about 25 years from the time they left Haran until the birth of Isaac. I think the birth of Isaac was the turning point when they both experienced profound change in their lives. Seeing the fulfillment of the Word of Promise regarding Isaac, was like witnessing a resurrection of life from their dead bodies, so to speak, Rom 4:19.

It was after this that we see the astounding outward evidence of Abraham's inward faith when he attempted to offer up Isaac. By this time, he knew without a doubt that God was a promise-keeping God and true to His Word. If God was going to allow him to slay Isaac, then He would have to raise him from the dead or be found a liar. God's covenant extended even to Isaac and his seed, which didn't exist yet. If Isaac had died before having children, God's promise would be untrue, Heb 11:17-19. Abraham's faith was so strong at this point, he was willing to hold God to His Word.

The Resurrection from the dead is the ultimate hope for the Believer. Without it our faith is in vain, 1 Cor 15:17. Even in the life of the disciples, we see a profound change in their lives after the Resurrection of Jesus and the coming of the Holy Spirit. They became fearless in their faith.

Comment

Working...
            X