Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Fundamentals Salvation

What is it?

Salvation in the Bible is a word used to denote deliverance and safety. In the original the word for salvation does not refer directly to forgiveness for sins, but means safety or soundness.

For every believer, eternal salvation from the consequences of our sins is assured, for Jesus has become the “author of eternal salvation” (Hebrews 5:9), and all is on the basis of His work on Calvary’s cross. But salvation is also to be known and enjoyed now.

We first see it illustrated in the book of Exodus. The children of Israel, pursued by the Egyptians, reached the banks of the Red Sea, and there Moses told them to “stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD” (Exodus 14:13). They had already been delivered from the judgment of God when the firstborn of Egypt were slain, for the children of Israel had put the blood of the lamb on the doorposts and lintels of their houses. They could later sing, having crossed the Red Sea on dry ground, “The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation.”

When do we get present salvation?

We can have it now, whilst we need deliverance from Satan, the world and also from ourselves. It is the same Saviour who saved us from the our sins who is ready to be our daily Saviour – “he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.” (Hebrews 7:25).

Our final deliverance from weakness and failure will come when we go to be with Him – “…we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: who shall change our vile body, that it might be fashioned like unto his glorious body…” (Philippians 3:20-21), and the apostle Paul tells us “now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.” (Romans 13:11). Our salvation will then be complete.

How do we maintain it?

When King David sinned, he lost the present enjoyment of salvation. He appeals to God “…cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight;” (Psalm 51:2-4). He turned to God – “Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation…” (Psalm 51:12), and from this we can learn that by turning to God in true repentance and dependence, we can experience deliverance and we can know and enjoy salvation.

Where can we find it?

We find it in regular prayer and listening to the Lord’s word. There is then the Christian home, if we have one, and the company of other believers. Lydia’s home was a safe place for Paul to stay (Acts 16:14-15), and at Antioch there was a company of believers where safety could be enjoyed as they were ministering to the Lord and fasting (Acts 13:1-2). Safety and salvation can be known and enjoyed in the company of other believers as they are walking according to scripture.

[Reproduced with permission]
    Last edited by Anddra; May 24th, 2010, 05:20 AM. Reason: typo
    Discernment is not knowing the difference between right and wrong. It is knowing the difference between right and almost right. - Charles H. Spurgeon
Working...
X