Mother Told She'd Be Arrested for Bringing Autistic Son to Church

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother Told She'd Be Arrested for Bringing Autistic Son to Church

BERTHA, Minn. The mother of a 13-year-old autistic boy says she wanted to take him to Mass on Sunday despite a court order that bans him from her church.

Carol Race ended up attending a different church after the Todd County, Minn., sheriff stopped her and said she'd be arrested if she brought Adam to the Church of St. Joseph in Bertha.

There is a restraining order barring Race's son from St. Joseph's. The Reverend Daniel Walz wrote in court documents that Adam's behavior was disruptive and dangerous. Adam is more than 6 feet tall and over 225 pounds.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356588,00.html

You would think people in the church would want to help out this family instead of banning them...

Comment

The pastor wrote that Adam spits, urinates and once struck a child during Mass.

Race says Adam doesn't spit, and that the urination is incontinence. She admits he once struck a child.
      Hmmm. Sounds like there are 3 sides to this story.

Comment

My parents are leaders in their church with children that have this type of behavior. Never have these types of problems. But has anyone ever been to a mass? Quite BOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG.

I'm not saying its a dead church. But I'm just saying

Comment

Originally posted by LoveforChrist View Post
          My parents are leaders in their church with children that have this type of behavior. Never have these types of problems. But has anyone ever been to a mass? Quite BOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG.

I'm not saying its a dead church. But I'm just saying
          Never been to a mass. But what I really came on to say is that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your avatar. Kermit rocks!

Comment

i think this needs a whole of lots prayers ..........

Comment

At my family's church, there is a 12 year old girl with severe autism. Yes, she's disruptive and she can have a violent outburst but she is welcomed instead of shunned. What a shame. I think it's great she's attending church for worship WITH her son! But maybe there's more to the story...

Comment

Originally posted by lisa View Post
                Hmmm. Sounds like there are 3 sides to this story.
                Yep....I agree. More than we know, and shouldn't jump to judgement.

Comment

My father had alzheimer's and my mother kept bringing him to church every Sunday. Once in a while he'd belt out some profanity, but mostly he'd mumble and make airplane noises.

I honestly believe that the best way to handle situations like this would be to dedicate an area for people with disabilities that in some way sound wouldn't easily pass to the rest of the congregation. In some very large churches I've seen rooms for mothers who are nursing; that *sorta* comes to mind, but I'm not sure I like the idea of keeping people with autism, etc., behind glass. But that's just my two cents.

If it's all about the noise, ways can be found to diminish the noise level; it just depends on if/how it can be implemented. So I agree that everyone should be able to go to church. In this particular case, there seems to be a little more to it so I can't comment one way or another here.

Comment

I have been in services where the pastor has instructed the parents of a screaming baby or rowdy child to remove them from the service.

I agree totally, too - and can't believe someone should have to be "told" to do it when it's common courtesy...and something they would'nt THINK about doing in a movie theatre, concert, etc.

I think the family of this kid needs to think this through - this is unfair to all the other folks in the service. I know I cannot stand this type of disruption. When my MIL's dementia worsened, we STOPPED taking her to church and out to eat. She was disruptive, she was inappropriate, and sometimes, downright disgusting. It wasn't her fault, but neither was it the fault or the responsibility of the other people in attendance. These people need to either find a caregiver or alternate who goes to the service. What is this boy going to get from the service anyway? These folks are going to turn this into a "cause celib."

Comment

I watched this story on the news last night, and they reported that the church tried to accommodate the boy with a separate room there at the church to watch & participate in, and with a live streaming mass to his home. The parents would only accept that their son be allowed in service with everyone else.

Misbehaving people do not belong in a church service, whether children or adult, normal or challenged in any way. Instead of everyone coming together with one mind to worship, it becomes everyone with one mind to get rid of the distraction. God doesn't get the attention HE deserves, and the people just get aggravated. So who wins?

Comment

How many people did Jesus kick out when He was preaching?
                        UMMM...NONE and some of them got pretty loud and called Him all sorts of nasty names.

People should be thankful that they only have to deal with autistic behavior one time, for one hour, per week. For this family, there is no escape from it, where is this church ministering to them.

Unbelievable, shame on them
                        sigpic
                        Shalu shalom Yerushalayim!
                        Pray for the peace of Jerusalem!

Comment

Many years ago we had a family in the church I attended, who had not one but two Down's Syndrome children(boys). The oldest was not given to unpredictable outbursts, but the youngest was. He would just yell out sometimes. If he was upset for whatever reason, it was worse. Both boys were accepted as being part of our church family, even though the service was 'interupted' at times, by this precious child. If I remember right, when he got to unruly, his parents would take him out of the service for a while, but he was never banned. He died when he was 12-13 years old.

Comment

That is indeed a tough call. While I would not want to exclude ANYONE from church, if I was the parent of the child that was struck by someone over 6 foot tall, weighing over 200 lbs, I have to say I would be pretty upset. I'm good at turning my own cheek, but it's a whole other story when it comes to my kids.

Tough call that pastor is having to make. I don't envy the difficulty this church must be going through trying to do the right thing for all involved. I wonder if in large cities there would be a good response for special needs services for families having to deal with this. Some parents may be avoiding church entirely out of fear of their child causing these types of disruptions.

Comment

to me if it is true they tried to accomadate these folks, they are being selfish. When a church service is disrupted the Holy Spirit can be quenched and if there is someone there needing the calling of the Holy Spirit... well they may miss it due to the disruption. BUT if this was a mass??? They don't preach salvation do they? What type of services were they doing? I also agree with the poster that stated a 6 foot tall over 200 pound person with a disability (they are usually very strong people, stronger than usual) can do some harm if he is very disruptive. Sounds like the church is beteen a rock and a hard place to me.
                              OCEANS OF LOVE and PRAYERS,
                              Rita/manytears

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X