Isaiah 17 *Merged*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gideon300 View Post
    Another problem is Jeremiah also speaks of Damascus' destruction in Jeremiah 49, and Jeremiah lived after the date Damascus was supposedly destroyed by the Assyrians.
    Thank you!

Comment

Book Of Isaiah

I am starting to study Isaiah...does anyone have any info or insight...or a study that was excellent? Thanks!

Comment

Isaiah: king of the OT prophets!

Isaiah 14: Contains Satan's five "I wills", leading to his being cast down.

Isaiah 53: IMO, the most remarkable OT prophecy - the particulars of, and reason for, Christ's suffering on the cross.

Comment

Fruchtenbaun has an excellent outline for study of this book.

This is one of the powerhouse prophets as even islam recognises him. And with the Dead Sea scrolls, it is one of the oldest affirmed books of the Bible.
          It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Wally. Here is a link to the outline he mentioned:

http://www.arielm.org/outlines/o-isa.pdf

My daughter and I are going to be heading into Ecclesiastes later this week and then into Isaiah, and I am working on finding a solid outline, expository commentary and audio commentary for Isaiah right now to us rather than go through the inductive process on our own---too big of a book for the two of us to do this way right now, we decided.

It's very difficult to find a solid commentary to begin with, but even more difficult on the prophetical books! I had forgotten about Fruchtenbaum's site. Thank you.

Comment

I also referenced Warren Wiersbe's commentary. Very helpful.

A time-line is most helpful

what is happening during the time Isaiah was writing

what happened to fulfill what he wrote (and when it was fulfilled)

what is yet to be fulfilled

A cronological bible helps too. I had an NIV by F Legard Smith that I gave to a friend. Very helpful when studing from Solomon to Malachai. There is a NKJV version out now.
              Last edited by iSong6:3; December 6th, 2010, 09:06 PM. Reason: only a typo, Wally ; )
              It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by House of Light View Post
                I am starting to study Isaiah...does anyone have any info or insight...or a study that was excellent? Thanks!
                I've always enjoyed J. Vernon McGee's thru the Bible series. He puts the cookies on the bottom shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by ImDave View Post
                  I've always enjoyed J. Vernon McGee's thru the Bible series. He puts the cookies on the bottom shelf.
                  I second that suggestion. Dr. McGee puts very high-quality cookies on the bottom shelf too.

Comment

Thank you for the Dr. Vernon reference. I see his links in the Precepts AUSTIN site. I know that he has been spoken of very highly here before as well.

Comment

Your welcome!

Originally posted by SaintTexas View Post
                      Thank you for the Dr. Vernon reference. I see his links in the Precepts AUSTIN site. I know that he has been spoken of very highly here before as well.
                      You're so very welcome! Years ago I wandered in to a Book store ran by a couple at our church and I told him I didn't know what I was looking for, but I wanted to dig deeper in to the bible, I wanted to learn more and understand more. He intruduced me to J.V. McGee. I think I'll hug ol' J.V.'s neck one day in heaven. He's showed me a great deal about how to study the bible and what to look for in a good teacher.

Comment

S. Lewis Johnson did an excellent series through the book of Isaiah, which I just completed. The following link has both the transcripts and audio files:

http://www.sljinstitute.net/sermons/...ah_master.html

One interesting trivia item from this series: a few times he mentions Arnold Fruchtenbaum, who was then (1969) one of Dr. Johnson's students there at Dallas Theological Seminary.
                        Last edited by Perpetua; December 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ImDave View Post
                          I don't mean to hijack the thread, but thank you for recommending Dr. McGee's series. I found his website and found that the entire Thru The Bible series is available to download as mp3's. I've been putting it on my mp3 player and listening to it like a podcast. So awesome!

Comment

bringing up this thread again to talk about the passage. So hearing it mentioned frequently i read the passage carefully to see if anything sounded familiar. First, it sounds like damascus will be largely vacated, although 'ruinous heap' suggests bombing. Then it speaks of isreal being shaken and having a remnant remaining, and being drawn back to God vrse 4-8. Isaiah 17:9 - 'in which they left because of the israelites, will be like places abandoned'. So something to do with the israelites forces them to vacate the cities? And then vrs 11 "in the day of disease and incurable pain." and 14 "in the evening, sudden terror! before the morning, they are gone!" sounds like a plague or war causing panic with them fleeing. and most timely vrse 12-13, all these recent riots, which started in damascus/syria http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1564...00-in-Damascus. So in conclusion it seems something will happen that will reduce israel to a remnant of it's current glory and draw closer to God while damascus gets abandoned in a hurry. A plague or a war could do that. Be keeping an eye peeled. thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by WILLIAMBEASON1842 View Post
                              Israel will spent if memory serves the next nine months burying the dead and the next seven years burning the weapons or war. Sometime shortly after this the AC will make a covent for seven years with Israel and the tribulation will be here.
                              So, wait...will we be in heaven then for roughly 14 years and 9 months then? Seven years of burning the weapons inbetween Gog/Magog and the tribulation and Anti-Christ?

After Gog/Magog...and especially the rapture...I can't picture seven whole years! Unless things slow down majorly for all those years, it just seems impossible.
                              "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death." - 1 Corinthians 15:26

Comment

Originally posted by --Rei View Post
                                So, wait...will we be in heaven then for roughly 14 years and 9 months then? Seven years of burning the weapons inbetween Gog/Magog and the tribulation and Anti-Christ?

After Gog/Magog...and especially the rapture...I can't picture seven whole years! Unless things slow down majorly for all those years, it just seems impossible.
                                I believe it is generally thought that Gog/Magog will happen toward the beginning of the Tribulation and that the AC will sign the covenant with Israel immediately following Gog/Magog. Israel will burn the weapons from the battle during the seven years of Tribulation, and I would imagine the clean-up would probably overlap with that . . . they burn as they clean up. Does that make more sense?

Comment

Working...
                                X