Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this Generation see the End of the Age? (merged)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Just remember that the tribulation is 7 years. That being said, we aren't waiting for Christ's Second Coming; we're waiting for the Rapture, which can happen ANYTIME.

Not to mention I believe Isaiah was talking about the Millennium there.
    Got that right Robert!

Comment

• Your right Robert, there will be a small minority of Christian folks who have have drudged through the Trib and are so looking forward to His return. And we will be returning with Him at that time. Blessed will be those who make it to the end. As for the Mellenium, I wonder if Isaiah was referring to the Jewish people that were alive at the very start of Christ's 1000 year rein?

Originally posted by Robert View Post
      Just remember that the tribulation is 7 years. That being said, we aren't waiting for Christ's Second Coming; we're waiting for the Rapture, which can happen ANYTIME.

Not to mention I believe Isaiah was talking about the Millennium there.

Comment

• Many species of trees can live for hundreds or even thousands of years. Olive trees for example average between 300 and 600 years. Some trees are claimed to be over 4000 years old.

Comment

• In the book, "The Footsteps of the Messiah," Arnold Fruchtenbaum says that Matthew 24:34 ("Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled") isn't referring to the generation alive that witnesses the rebirth of the nation of Israel; rather, he says it's referring to the generation alive that witnesses the AC commit the AOD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silvercord View Post
            Many species of trees can live for hundreds or even thousands of years. Olive trees for example average between 300 and 600 years. Some trees are claimed to be over 4000 years old.

Comment

• Originally posted by drjoshua View Post
              In the book, "The Footsteps of the Messiah," Arnold Fruchtenbaum says that Matthew 24:34 ("Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled") isn't referring to the generation alive that witnesses the rebirth of the nation of Israel; rather, he says it's referring to the generation alive that witnesses the AC commit the AOD.
              I've never heard of that interpretation before. It doesn't make sense to me -- how could that be?

Comment

• Originally posted by drjoshua View Post
                In the book, "The Footsteps of the Messiah," Arnold Fruchtenbaum says that Matthew 24:34 ("Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled") isn't referring to the generation alive that witnesses the rebirth of the nation of Israel; rather, he says it's referring to the generation alive that witnesses the AC commit the AOD.

Saying that it must be 70 years from the rebirth of Israel would take away the doctrine of imminency. This is why I think Jack, and many others, are wrong on the "this generation" interpretation. The things that Jesus says will happen as signs of His soon coming are for those left after the rapture (rapture is not talked about in the Olivet Discourse). Those who are left behind and see these signs, and they must see ALL of the signs.....not just one or a few, will know that they will not die of old age before the Second Coming of the Lord (assuming they are young enough).

Having said that, this is not to say that we cannot know how close we are. We see some of the signs and we feel it coming and know it's close. But "close" is a relative term. We cannot put a time limit on how much time we have left (His Word tells us not to).....only those who see the signing of the covenant will know that there are exactly 7 years until the end of the age.

- JIL

Comment

• Originally posted by JesusIsLord View Post

Saying that it must be 70 years from the rebirth of Israel would take away the doctrine of imminency. This is why I think Jack, and many others, are wrong on the "this generation" interpretation. The things that Jesus says will happen as signs of His soon coming are for those left after the rapture (rapture is not talked about in the Olivet Discourse). Those who are left behind and see these signs, and they must see ALL of the signs.....not just one or a few, will know that they will not die of old age before the Second Coming of the Lord (assuming they are young enough).

Having said that, this is not to say that we cannot know how close we are. We see some of the signs and we feel it coming and know it's close. But "close" is a relative term. We cannot put a time limit on how much time we have left (His Word tells us not to).....only those who see the signing of the covenant will know that there are exactly 7 years until the end of the age.

- JIL
                  I pretty much agree with (much of) this, as well. The "signs" ("all these things") are for Israel (during the tribulation period), regarding His Second Coming.

"For the Jews require signs..." (1 Corinthians 1:22a) and it is to them that they are given.

Comment

• Originally posted by acceptedinthebeloved View Post
                    I pretty much agree with (much of) this, as well. The "signs" ("all these things") are for Israel (during the tribulation period), regarding His Second Coming.

"For the Jews require signs..." (1 Corinthians 1:22a) and it is to them that they are given.
                    Agreed that the signs are "for" Israel, but they are also visible to the Gentiles. Jesus' ministry was truly to the Jews, but John was certainly not exclusive in Revelation 13:18, which is the time period that Jesus was talking about regarding what signs would be prevalent during the Day of the Lord.

Comment

• Originally posted by JesusIsLord View Post
                      Agreed that the signs are "for" Israel, but they are also visible to the Gentiles. Jesus' ministry was truly to the Jews, but John was certainly not exclusive in Revelation 13:18, which is the time period that Jesus was talking about regarding what signs would be prevalent during the Day of the Lord.
                      I agree that Gentiles will be involved in witnessing the signs during the tribulation period.
                      My point is just to say that they are not for the Church.
                      However, I agree that we can see things lining up, based on what we read in His Word.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atavist
                        The oldest living tree was discovered in Sweden a couple of years ago.
                        Growth rings indicated that the tree was aprox. 9,550 years old.
                        If you decide to belive such things.
                        That is even older than the "records" I came across when looking for info on certain trees. Not really concerned about the exact age though, my first thought actually was "I wonder what it would sound like as a guitar?". Too bad that Swedish tree is some kind of pine, someone needs to find a 3,000 year old indian rosewood or mahagony and make guitars out of it

Comment

• Originally posted by Jec View Post
                          I came across this verse and was hoping this wasn't an indication of a generation being much longer than approx. 70 years, give or take, that I am hoping for.

In Isaiah 65:22 it says this:

22They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

If, I'm just saying IF, a generation was approximately 70 years from the rebirth of Israel (1948), then the second coming would come somewhere around the year 2018. As we look at things escalating through the final stages of child birth, I absolutely don't think we could reach another 30 years if a tree were to live to be a hundred or even longer. (least I hope not)
                          Read ALL of Isaiah 65, the answer is pretty obvious if you do The passage you reference (and all of 17-25) is describing life during the Millennial Kingdom, and yes, we know from this passage and others that lifespans during the MK will be much, much longer than they are now. In fact, Fruchtenbaum makes the point that people born during the MK will live throughout the entire MK if they remain followers of Christ. Those who refuse to follow Christ will die at 100 and according to verse 20 "he who dies at a hundred will be thought a mere youth". Clearly that's not the case today, a person of 100 is positively ancient by our standards.

So have no fear, the definition of a generation in our timeframe being 70-80 years is unaffected by this passage

Comment

• Originally posted by Tres Wright View Post
                            Read ALL of Isaiah 65, the answer is pretty obvious if you do The passage you reference (and all of 17-25) is describing life during the Millennial Kingdom, and yes, we know from this passage and others that lifespans during the MK will be much, much longer than they are now. In fact, Fruchtenbaum makes the point that people born during the MK will live throughout the entire MK if they remain followers of Christ. Those who refuse to follow Christ will die at 100 and according to verse 20 "he who dies at a hundred will be thought a mere youth". Clearly that's not the case today, a person of 100 is positively ancient by our standards.

So have no fear, the definition of a generation in our timeframe being 70-80 years is unaffected by this passage
                            My great grandfather died at 107, my grandfather at 97, his sister at 97 and one of his daughters at 100. I think a generation could go as high as 120 years since that is around the age of the oldest living person at this time. That puts us at around 2068 at the most.

Comment

• Originally posted by MsSophie View Post
                              My great grandfather died at 107, my grandfather at 97, his sister at 97 and one of his daughters at 100. I think a generation could go as high as 120 years since that is around the age of the oldest living person at this time. That puts us at around 2068 at the most.

Wow, your family must have the longevity gene...

Comment

• Originally posted by cocopea9052 View Post

Wow, your family must have the longevity gene...
                                They all had their faculties when they died too. One of my grandfather's sons (my uncle) died in 2008 at age 87. He walked 18 holes of golf several days a week until just a few months before he died. My mom's gene's were not as good though.

I'm just saying a generation in this day and age could be longer than seventy years.

Comment

Working...
                                X