Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

What the Magi mean to Christmas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the Magi mean to Christmas

https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-...ristmas-part-1

Familiar scene of Christmas is depicted so commonly by artists who design Christmas cards, and most people get their understanding of Christmas from Christmas cards and not from Scripture.

There are some very familiar and accurate understandings. Obviously, Joseph and Mary and the Baby, and the shepherds; pretty clear to all of us just exactly who they were. We understand the shepherd were in the field in Bethlehem, and the angels came and sent them to see the Child that had been born. But the question comes as to who are the wise men, or the magi, as they have been called? They’ve even been called kings. But exactly who are they and why were they there? Obviously, it is important to the narrative of Matthew, and therefore to the Lord Himself who designed that this be included in Holy Scripture, that we know something about these men called the magi.

Now let me dispel some of the things that are inaccurate. They were not kings as such and there weren’t three of them. So there goes We Three Kings of Orient Are. Some have suggested through the years that they were actually specially chosen representatives of the three sons of Noah: Shem, Ham, and Japheth. For that, there is absolutely no sensible evidence. They actually acquire names in church history. They became known as Gaspar, Balthasar, and Melchior. Those names were added long after the actual events and have no connection whatsoever to the actual wise men.

For the rest @ https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-...ristmas-part-1

Very interesting and enlightening material, thanks for posting!
    John 10:27-30 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.

Comment

That is a great sermon on the Magi I ever heard and gave a lot of insight to what they meant.

Comment

Thanks, an interesting read.
        Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. Psalm 84:10

Comment

Obvious many speculate that the Magi were a line waiting for the Messiah due to Daniel setting them on a course many years earlier...........I always loved this perspective and will be very excited to find out one way or another when I reach the Kingdom above.

Comment

Despite attempts by modern biblical scholarship to debunk the gospel account of three magi visiting the newborn Jesus in Bethlehem, the stories were “historically true” according to extensive research by author Dwight Longenecker.

In his new book, Mystery of the Magi: The Quest to Identify the Three Wise Men, Longenecker, a scholar and Catholic priest, states that an impartial study of the relevant data “shows beyond reasonable doubt” that the Magi of Matthew’s gospel were historical figures.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...orically-true/

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
              Obvious many speculate that the Magi were a line waiting for the Messiah due to Daniel setting them on a course many years earlier...........I always loved this perspective and will be very excited to find out one way or another when I reach the Kingdom above.
              I've always heard this, too. Specifically that they were the descendants of the Chaldeans whose lives were saved by Daniel. I stands to reason that they understood what to watch for throughout their generations for the Star out of Jacob.

It is also interesting that the Jewish scribes down the centuries also understood what to look for. However, they didn't pay attention when Messiah was born. The magi were gentiles seeking Messiah. They stopped in Jerusalem first to inquire, & the scribes told them that Messiah would be born in Bethlehem. But the scribes did not accompany the Magi to Bethlehem.

I see so much of the Laodicean Church of today...many sign so Messiah's Return are upon us, but they make excuses, etc which deny the reality of end time prophecy fulfillment.

Comment

There were three kinds of GIFTS - not three Magi speciified; could have been three magi, could have been fifty, only three gifts - gold, frankincense and myrrh are mentioned.

The Magi were NOT at the manger.

They came later and found toddler Jesus in a house.

But we are stuck with the image of THREE WISE MEN...

a great made for TV movie starring Martin Sheen was called THE FOURTH WISE MAN
                Martin Sheen was a Magi who was late joining the others
                had gifts for Christ that he was never able to present to Him
                a very interesting movie

Comment

I saw that movie a long time ago. I would like to see it again.
                  sigpic

Comment

I would too, caligal -- I would talk more about it, but don't want to give the story away
                    Actors who are really good can be believable in various roles, one wouldn't normally picture Martin Sheen as one of the Magi,
                    but then again, Anthony Hopkins played Apostle Paul in a made for TV movie and was a very believable Paul

Comment

I thought the Fourth Magi was a rather strange movie.
                      Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. Psalm 84:10

Comment

Rhonda Lane wrote an article, Christians mocking Christians

I thought what she wrote was very true and informaitive, Christians that have not studied scripture mocking those who quote scripture.

She wrote this in her article and is actually related to the article posted about the Magi.

"God (in the past) told Israel that they were “destroyed for lack of knowledge” (Hosea 4:6). They rejected God’s word. They also likely claimed to have a ‘personal relationship’ with Him because they were His chosen people, the apple of His eye. Yet they slacked off and took it for granted, so much so that by the time Christ came they didn’t even recognize Him, even though scripture had foretold His coming! Many of them didn’t know His word, and so they didn’t even know the time of His visitation (Luke 19:44)."

Comment

Working...
                        X