Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Babylon will not be a rebuilt literal city, then explain why Shinar (another name for Babylon) will house "wickedness" during the Tribulation?

Zechariah 5

Vision of the Woman in a Basket

5 Then the angel who talked with me came out and said to me, “Lift your eyes now, and see what this is that goes forth.”
    6 So I asked, “What is it?” And he said, “It is a basket that is going forth.”
    He also said, “This is their resemblance throughout the earth: 7 Here is a lead disc lifted up, and this is a woman sitting inside the basket”; 8 then he said, “This is Wickedness!” And he thrust her down into the basket, and threw the lead cover over its mouth. 9 Then I raised my eyes and looked, and there were two women, coming with the wind in their wings; for they had wings like the wings of a stork, and they lifted up the basket between earth and heaven.
    10 So I said to the angel who talked with me, “Where are they carrying the basket?”
    11 And he said to me, “To build a house for it in the land of Shinar; when it is ready, the basket will be set there on its base.”

Comment

• Originally posted by steve78 View Post
      The Euphrates will be dried up during the tribulation in fact its already starting to dry up just in the last few years.
      It's too early to say that the current drying up of the Euphrates is the same drying up that will occur towards the end of Tribulation. Lots of mistakes/possible mistakes in eschatalogical outlook have been made by taking what we see happening today and applying it to scripture. That's why for many years eschatalogists didn't consider that Babylon of the end times could actually be The Babylon in Iraq because it was just a pile of rocks. Now, as events unfold, many are "seeing" and understanding that they don't have to try and figure out what the bible is saying when it says it plainly... Unfortunately, old errant theories die a slow death or never die at all. Once we're convinced of something it can be hard to be unconvinced. For a good while, while the European Union was developing, and especially when it had reached 10 members, there were lots of preachers and eschatalogists pointing to all 10 kings being from the European nations... they couldn't yet envision that the world would divide up into 10 political regions... that was just too hard to believe, but it isn't anymore... Yet there are still a great many who are stuck with the idea that all 10 Kings will be in the European Union.
      Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Comment

• I do agree that the scene could spin on a dime
        with any number of shock events.

Of course, we know what the BIG SHOCK will be

BUT, I guess it gets down to what kind of time span
        there is in relation to how this can develop and have
        so much bearing as it describes. All this happens within 7 years?
        sigpic
        I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
        Psalm 16:8 KJV

Comment

• Some Bible scholars point out that Babylon still exists as a city (it does - Google it) and thus it has never been destroyed beyond anyone ever setting foot in it again. People still live in Babylon/Hillah so this prophecy has not yet been fulfilled. So it's possible that God was talking about the literal Babylon. But who'll know until it happens .

Comment

• I've also heard teaching that said to always consider the Babylonian Empire. When it was the reigning empire on the earth, it was huge! With that thought, there are many places that could be the site of the "great city" of Babylon.

Comment

• Originally posted by logosone View Post
              I do agree that the scene could spin on a dime
              with any number of shock events.

Of course, we know what the BIG SHOCK will be

BUT, I guess it gets down to what kind of time span
              there is in relation to how this can develop and have
              so much bearing as it describes. All this happens within 7 years?
              China has built cities within a few years. And a planned city sprang up overnight in Afghanistan. I forgot its name .

Here it is - the City of Astana. The pyramid is said by some to be an occult center for world leaders. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astana

Comment

• Originally posted by ComeLordJesus View Post
                Some Bible scholars point out that Babylon still exists as a city (it does - Google it) and thus it has never been destroyed beyond anyone ever setting foot in it again. People still live in Babylon/Hillah so this prophecy has not yet been fulfilled. So it's possible that God was talking about the literal Babylon. But who know's until it happens .
                It was never destroyed in a day and made uninhabitable, as the Word describes will happen when it is time.
                Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

Comment

• Originally posted by JustGrateful View Post
                  I've also heard teaching that said to always consider the Babylonian Empire. When it was the reigning empire on the earth, it was huge! With that thought, there are many places that could be the site of the "great city" of Babylon.
                  Good point! Maybe the ships will harbor in the Persian Gulf.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eleora View Post
                    Where did you come up with the following?
                    They are key characteristics of Babylon Mystery the great described in Jeremiah, Revelations, and Isaiah. You can get much more in depth but that is just a general outline.

Also Iraq has no DEEP water port city. The euphrates is only 8 feet deep and could not handle typical international commercial freighters.

Comment

• Originally posted by JustGrateful View Post
                      I've also heard teaching that said to always consider the Babylonian Empire. When it was the reigning empire on the earth, it was huge! With that thought, there are many places that could be the site of the "great city" of Babylon.
                      There's a thought

I do know one thing. This is why it's called Mystery Babylon
                      sigpic
                      I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.

Comment

• Do you have the verse references? I've not seen this before.

Originally posted by steve78 View Post
                        They are key characteristics of Babylon Mystery the great described in Jeremiah, Revelations, and Isaiah. You can get much more in depth but that is just a general outline.

Also Iraq has no DEEP water port city. The euphrates is only 8 feet deep and could not handle typical international commercial freighters.
                        For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. ~Ephesians 2:8-9

Comment

• NYC is an international city with economic and political influence. Look at wall street and the United Nations. I am not getting the notion of Baghdad being Babylon. I mean, Iraq is completely out of order and has no influence in the world. If there were signs of Baghdad being rebuilt in a serious manner than that would be suspicious.

Comment

• Originally posted by ekassa1 View Post
                            NYC is an international city with economic and political influence. Look at wall street and the United Nations. I am not getting the notion of Baghdad being Babylon. I mean, Iraq is completely out of order and has no influence in the world. If there were signs of Baghdad being rebuilt in a serious manner than that would be suspicious.
                            Not only that but whoever lives in Iraq is going to have to deal with some serious radiation exposer with all the depleted uranium all over the counrty from ammunitions in the war.

Comment

• Originally posted by ekassa1 View Post
                              NYC is an international city with economic and political influence. Look at wall street and the United Nations. I am not getting the notion of Baghdad being Babylon. I mean, Iraq is completely out of order and has no influence in the world. If there were signs of Baghdad being rebuilt in a serious manner than that would be suspicious.
                              Well, they've spent billions of dollars on quite a bit
                              of development that doesn't fit with Iraq at the moment.
                              So, I guess a thinking person has to ask what exactly
                              is all that for, as they can barely keep the electric on.

I have always believed that Cheney and Bush unwittingly
                              fulfilled prophecy in Iraq.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Here's a city in which was built overnight in Afghanistan. The central building is the Palace of Peace and Reconciliation. Not saying this is Mystery Babylon, just saying that planned cities awash in demonic supernaturalism are already being thrown up (pun unintended but apt!).

This is an excerpt of the Wikipedia article linked in the post above.

Palace of Peace and Reconciliation (Pyramid of Peace) Pictures are available at the link.

The pyramid has been conceived and designed by architect Sir Norman Foster and inaugurated in September 2006. It contains accommodations for different religions: Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism and other faiths. It also houses a 1,500- seat opera house, a national museum of culture, a new “university of civilization”, a library and a research center for Kazakhstan’s ethnic and geographical groups. This diversity is unified within the pure form of a pyramid, 62 meters high with a 62 x 62-meter base. The building is conceived as a global center for religious understanding, the renunciation of violence and the promotion of faith and human equality. The Pyramid of Peace expresses the spirit of Kazakhstan, where cultures, traditions and representatives of various nationalities coexist in peace, harmony and accord. Bathed in the golden and pale blue glow of the glass (colors taken from the Kazakhstan flag), 200 delegates from the world’s main religions and faiths will meet every three years in a circular chamber — based on the United Nations Security Council meeting room in New York. ; Height: 77 m (252.62 ft), total area: 25,500 sq.m.; Accommodates: Opera Hall for 1,500 seats, The Museum of National History, The Research Center of World Religions, Library of Spiritual Religious Literature, Exhibition and conference rooms [17]
                                [edit]

Comment

Working...
                                X