This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you

Thank you everyone for sharing your different points of view. I too fall into the literal interpretation camp. I believe it could be built up very quickly. Besides Israel, Iran and Russia I like to see the events going on in Iraq/Babylon as a gauge of end time events. We know that one day an angel will cry out "Fallen is Babylon the Great..." according to Rev 18. It will be another victory of our Lord!
    Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
    Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
    Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

Comment

• Babylon ruins torn between preservation and profit

Mods , please feel free to move if needed. Talking about the literal meaning of the future of Babylon. The bad part is it looks like the U.S. if funding it as well.

"BABYLON, Iraq – A U.S.-funded program to restore the ruins of Iraq's ancient city of Babylon is threatened by a dispute among Iraqi officials over whether the priority should be preserving the site or making money off it."

"Local officials want swift work done to restore the crumbling ruins and start building restaurants and gift shops to draw in tourists, while antiquities officials in Baghdad favor a more painstaking approach to avoid the gaudy restoration mistakes of the past."

More here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100507/...saving_babylon

God bless
      Last edited by dkmac; May 7th, 2010, 03:16 PM. Reason: Add more quotes

Comment

• That's one archaeological site I have no desire to visit.

Comment

• disarm Israel and fund the rebuilding of babylon...way to go

Comment

• They'll decide to make money off of it.

Comment

• Saddam Hussein had been been restoring Babylon before the U.S. invasion. They're just picking up where he left off.
              “Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”- Colossians 3:12

Comment

• Originally posted by 6stringedsignseeker View Post
                Saddam Hussein had been been restoring Babylon before the U.S. invasion. They're just picking up where he left off.
                Yep, I have a few military friends that were stationed over there in Iraq and saw Babylon. They said they had done a good job with it. It's simply amazing. I also saw an article talking about the UN making it a world heritage site or something like that.
                Rapture Forums Ministries - Rapture Forums

Comment

• I might visit them, I love old ruins.
                  That said, I'm hesitant to enter any muslim country. So they would have to be pretty spectacular for me to go.

If there is too little in the way or accommodations like hotels and such, I would counsel to use some of the limited funds and develop the tourist side. That way money would come to Iraq and the restoration would end up paying for itself.
                  Yes. Develop the tourist side.

Comment

• I believe this could be part of God's plans for the last days. By the allowing of the city that has stood for human rebellion since just after the flood to take one last stand in defiance before its final obliteration as described in Isaiah 13-14, Jeremiah 50-51, and Revelation 17-18. It will be the destruction of our world's current systems of business, idolatry, and depravity. Let them rebuild Babylon so that it will be fallen forever! And in sweet contrast Jerusalem will be God's city forever!
                    Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
                    Coming again coming again maybe morning maybe noon maybe evening and maybe soon!
                    Coming again coming again O what a wonderful day it will be! Jesus is coming again!

Comment

• Originally posted by dleader View Post
                      I believe this could be part of God's plans for the last days. By the allowing of the city that has stood for human rebellion since just after the flood to take one last stand in defiance before its final obliteration as described in Isaiah 13-14, Jeremiah 50-51, and Revelation 17-18. It will be the destruction of our world's current systems of business, idolatry, and depravity. Let them rebuild Babylon so that it will be fallen forever! And in sweet contrast Jerusalem will be God's city forever!
                      Exactly. It will rise to a very rich city, and then fall at the hands of the Lord. Come, Lord Jesus.

Comment

• Babylon torn between preservation and profit

By Paul Schemm - The Associated Press
                        Posted : Friday May 7, 2010 14:37:45 EDT

BABYLON, Iraq — A U.S.-funded program to restore the ruins of Iraq’s ancient city of Babylon is threatened by a dispute among Iraqi officials over whether the priority should be preserving the site or making money off it.

Local officials want swift work done to restore the crumbling ruins and start building restaurants and gift shops to draw in tourists, while antiquities officials in Baghdad favor a more painstaking approach to avoid the gaudy restoration mistakes of the past.

The ruins of the millennia-old city, famed for its Hanging Gardens and the Tower of Babel, have suffered heavily over the past decades. Deep in Iraq’s verdant south, the cluster of excavated temples and palaces were mostly rebuilt by former ruler Saddam Hussein in the 1980s, using modern yellow brick to erect towering structures that marred the fragile remains of the original mud brick ruins. After Saddam’s fall in 2003, a U.S. military base on the site did further damage.

The site is filled with overgrown hillocks hiding the estimated 95 percent of the city that remains unexcavated — which archaeologists hope could eventually be uncovered.

But for that to happen, they argue, slow and meticulous work needs to be done to train Iraqis in conservation and draw up a preservation plan that can be used to drum up international funds and get the site UNESCO World Heritage status.

A $700,000, two-year project to do that, funded by the U.S. State Department and carried out by the New York-based World Monument Fund, began last year and if it succeeds, the Babylon project could be a model for saving other ancient sites in this country

“I’m optimistic because what is happening in Babylon is the proper and scientific step and, God willing, the work in Babylon will open up new horizons,” said Qais Hussein Rashid, head of Iraq’s impoverished antiquities department.

Founded in the 3rd millennium B.C., Babylon rose to prominence nearly 4,000 years ago under King Hammurabi, whose famous law tablet resides in Paris’ Louvre Museum. In subsequent centuries the city was conquered, razed and rebuilt several times, becoming the largest city in the world with 250,000 inhabitants under King Nebuchadnezzar II in 600 B.C.

Nebuchadnezzar built the famed hanging gardens, one of the seven wonders of the world, for his homesick wife. He also exiled the Jewish people from Israel, gaining Babylon a bad rap in the Judeo-Christian tradition and the name of the city has since become synonymous with sin.

Given the state of the remains, the World Monument Fund is expanding its project, seeking up $1 million from the U.S. to restore two monuments in urgent need of rescue: the 2,500 year old Nabu-Sha-Khare temple and the remains of the monumental Ishtar Gate, once the main entrance to Nebuchadnezzar’s city.

Of all the battered ruins, the temple has the most potential, with its arched rooms and courtyards holding altars to the gods.

“This had the most original fabric,” explained Jeffrey Allen, a project coordinator. “It is a rare example of a fairly intact temple from the new Babylonian period.”

the rest of it here:
                        http://militarytimes.com/news/2010/0...abylon_050610/

Comment

• We know what Babylon will (no doubt soon) become...

Comment

• How is it that we are funding this and funding that, when we are broke.

Comment

• At the Mid-America prophecy conference this past weekend one of the speakers mentioned that there is a huge oil field around Babylon. Just thought that was interesting.

Comment

• Iraq is swimming in oil, so let them fund their own projects!!! I'm sick and tired of sending these filthy rich countries our hard earned money for anything!:explode
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X