Parable of the 10 Virgins: Wise & Unwise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jenkat
    Thanks steve, That was some good information!

Anyone else?

I would really like to know if the actual wedding ceremony, with all of the traditions, etc., was instituted by God, or just the way weddings evolved over time.

Bump
    some are based on Jewish tradition http://www.his-forever.com/jewish_weddings_rapture.htm

word of caution http://www.seekgod.ca/rapturewedding.htm

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
    Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
    Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Comment

• Originally posted by Buzzardhut View Post
      some are based on Jewish tradition ...

word of caution http://www.seekgod.ca/rapturewedding.htm
      Thank you for posting this... I have skimmed through it quickly (it's kind of long), and I agree with much of it

(I still disagree with the common interpretation of the "no man knows the day or the hour" type verses , which is mentioned in the article).

There are a few allusion to "wedding themes" in scripture, though (such as Luke 12:35-36 "when he will return from the wedding" and Matthew 25:10NASB "wedding feast" [Rev 19:9] etc)... but I believe they must be viewed in an accurate way, as well as (or should I say, especially) in keeping Israel and the Church distinct.

Comment

• Parable of the Ten Virgins: What Does this Mean?

Reading and replying to some of the threads in this section, I was prompted to do a bit of research and reading on the parable of the ten virgins (Matthew 25: 1 - 13).

What is your understanding of this parable?

I was reading this study on the parable and it has me a little confused.

It is a long treatment of the parable and seemingly good contextual and comprehensive study. But I am left with a few questions. In very short summary, the author is asserting it refers to the Second Coming, and that the Lord returns at a time of relative peace, and this is why the foolish virgins fail to recognise the warning signs. Now we know the Second Coming is not going to be at a time of normality and peace.

However if this parable refers to the rapture event, then I query why those foolish virgins who return after purchasing the oil and knock are denied entry to the Kingdom: "I tell you the truth, I do not know you!". We know that people will be saved during the tribulations period, so the parable of the ten virgins in this context seems odd and as the author contends, points to the Second Coming. Yet all the same, the author cites Noah and the flood but links this with the Second Coming rather than the time of the rapture, because as it were, once Noah and family alighted the ark, there was no chance of salvation beyond this point, like the Second Coming, unlike the rapture and trib period where folk will still be able to receive Christ of which we holding to a pre-trib position maintain.

Please, can anyone shed some light on this parable in light of our understanding of the pre-tribulation rapture?

Thanks
        sigpic

Luke 21:28

"Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near"

Comment

• I could try to explaine it how I understand it, but why not get it from the horses mouth...

http://gracethrufaith.com/selah/para...e-ten-virgins/
          For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18

Comment

• Originally posted by $teve View Post
            Reading and replying to some of the threads in this section, I was prompted to do a bit of research and reading on the parable of the ten virgins (Matthew 25: 1 - 13).

What is your understanding of this parable?

I was reading this study on the parable and it has me a little confused.

It is a long treatment of the parable and seemingly good contextual and comprehensive study. But I am left with a few questions. In very short summary, the author is asserting it refers to the Second Coming, and that the Lord returns at a time of relative peace, and this is why the foolish virgins fail to recognise the warning signs. Now we know the Second Coming is not going to be at a time of normality and peace.

However if this parable refers to the rapture event, then I query why those foolish virgins who return after purchasing the oil and knock are denied entry to the Kingdom: "I tell you the truth, I do not know you!". We know that people will be saved during the tribulations period, so the parable of the ten virgins in this context seems odd and as the author contends, points to the Second Coming. Yet all the same, the author cites Noah and the flood but links this with the Second Coming rather than the time of the rapture, because as it were, once Noah and family alighted the ark, there was no chance of salvation beyond this point, like the Second Coming, unlike the rapture and trib period where folk will still be able to receive Christ of which we holding to a pre-trib position maintain.

Please, can anyone shed some light on this parable in light of our understanding of the pre-tribulation rapture?

Thanks

You'll probably find some of my posts in the links that the others have posted for you, but yes, I believe the Parable of the Ten Virgins is about His Second Coming (not our rapture).

Here's what Dr. Thomas Ice says about the parables, specifically in Matthew 24... but since "Noah's day" is one of them, I thought this might help you (but I also think the same thing could be said of ALL of the Olivet Discourse, of which Matthew 25:1-13 is a part):

[Regarding Matthew 24] These five parables are important lessons that relate to Israel. In fact, I would go so far as to say that all the parables in the New Testament relate directly to Israel. Often they relate to Israel' s rejection of Jesus as their Messiah and speak of consequences that will flow from such an act. Christ told His disciples in Matthew 13:10- 17 that He would speak to " this people" (Israel) in order to blind them to the truth because of their rejection of Jesus as the Messiah. However, believers could come to understand the meaning of His parables because we are receptive of the revelation offered by Christ. Therefore, they all relate to Israel in some way, shape, or form and usually tell us something about God' s plan for the future.

The parables within the Olivet Discourse, when they speak of a coming, all relate to the second coming and not the rapture of the church. This is true because the entire Olivet Discourse was given to Israel and relates to her tribulation and Christ' s return at the end of that period. Truths relating to the rapture of the church are revealed exclusively in the New Testament Epistles, which were written specifically for the purpose of explaining the intent and nature of the Church age.

Luke 12:35-36, 37 is a similar passage, and refers to "when he will return from the wedding" (see context, Luke 12:35-48... it also talks about Him girding Himself to serve them, at a meal, verse 37).

In light of the above passage, Matthew 25:10NASB, I think, gives a more accurate understanding. It says:

"And while they were going away to make the purchase, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding feast; and the door was shut."

The virgins (plural) are not the bride (singular)... and they are to be ready for "the wedding feast" (which occurs a week after the wedding), and many scholars equate "the wedding feast" with the beginning of the earthly Millennial Kingdom (as do I; see also Revelation 19:9).

Hope this helps.

(more at link) http://www.raptureready.com/featured...w24_25_30.html "An Interpretation of Matthew 24-25 - Part XXX"

Comment

Working...
            X