Thanksgiving and Christmas economy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving and Christmas economy

Some of my friends in business are really cutting down there inventories and this is just before the holiday seasons. Also some of the distributors seem to be doing the same. In Oklahoma the food stamps were reported to have went up 46% since 2008. There are long lines at midnight at the all night groceries the first of the month.
    Last edited by ronbo477; October 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM.

I don't have any idea what we are going to do for Christmas other than put up the tree. My daughter joined the Singing Angels out of Cleveland so I will get to enjoy her performances. I think she has gotten used to small Christmas's over the past couple of years so it will be okay.

Walmart blew it when they took out their layaway departments, but Kmart charges $5 to put anything in . . then they charge you $5 if you are late and they put everything back.

There certainly won't be any 'new tech gadget' splurging around here! Who needs it? I mean really needs it?
    sigpicJesus is coming soon, morning or night or noon, many will meet their doom, trumpets will sound. All of the dead shall rise, righteous meet in the skies, going where no one dies, heavenward bound!

Comment

Enjoy the simplicity of your Christmas. You may never go back to the other again...

Comment

As someone who has been alone before on Christmas.. and who is facing a Christmas without her mom for the first time in 51 years and whose children will be w/ their dad and whose father has disowned her and brother "hates" her and has no real friends where she lives and has a husband who doesn't understand how Christmas can be since he was raised in a jewish home.... I would tell you to enjoy the people you can spend the day with. Treasure that time and laugh and thank the Lord if you have family around you that day. The gifts are supposed to represent "love"... just show your love "other ways".. maybe in a letter from the heart.... or doing something "they" have wanted you to do but you never would out of fear.... relationships is what it comes down to... with the Lord and with others.. that is where real treasure is!
        "Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."Isaiah 40:31

Comment

My son wors in a railroad yard here in the midwest. He loads the boxes that come off the trains onto chassis so they can be delivered. The fact that he has been so busy tells me that the stores might end up having more Christmas inventory than I might have expected.

We are goint to have Christmas-lite as far as presents go. We internd to get a gift for each of our grandchildren and something small for each of our Mothers. I've already told my adult children that I won't be buying presents for them. We just don't have the money any more and we want to be able to give to someone in greater need than we are in. I think that it will make Christmas a little more fun. I won't have the hassle of a lot of Christmas shopping and I won't have a ton of presents to wrap in expensive wrapping paper. I'm all about destressing our holidays.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
          I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

Comment

We are keeping our spending down also, basically just for my boys, even than it won't be much, but they already know that.

Comment

We're playing "secret santa" for the first time this year. Money is so tight we drew names so we're each buying 1 gift of no more than $20 for an adult, then each of the grandkids get one or two gifts from each of us. I brought this up and everyone thought it was a great idea since we're all struggling in some way this year. Luckily the majority of people in our family are Christians and they believe it's not about the GIFTS we get!

Comment

I am listening to Christmas music today. I also built a nice fire to enjoy as I am working from home. This time of the year (always around mid-october) I get a head-start on the whole Christmas spirit thing. It's all about Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, his birth and ministry... I celebrate this through putting myself in an atmosphere of peace and tranquility which expresses love for all people... Thank You Jesus for being born and providing salvation to us... Amen!!

When we get all caught up in the money side of things Christmas is stressful. You have to let all that go and enjoy the season and what it really means. One other way I do this is by using my tools to craft small inexpensive meaningful gifts for relatives. I have christmas music playing in my shop too!!

Have a great day and remember to make time for Jesus!
                The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me.... Living for Jesus - Listening for the Trumpet

:snoopy

Comment

I forgot to add Thanksgiving, we are planning on going to my parents house.

Comment

Each of us has already received the greatest gift of all, and that is salvation. I think that what I want to do this year for Thanksgiving and Christmas is to make an even greater effort to reach more people with the gospel. That's a gift I can begin giving right now. I wish to make the birth, life, death, resurrection and ascension of my Saviour the center of all celebration. I want to imress upon everyone I come into contact with that the hour is late and today is the day of salvation. I have an atheist BIL who was desparately ill and near death a very short time ago. I intend to have a little chat with him about his eternal future. He may label me a kook, but I don't care. He needs to know that the Lord has just given him a temporary reprieve, but that reprieve can be rescinded in an instant without any forewarning. He says he doesn't believe in anything he can't see. I wonder, and I'm going to ask him, if that includes gravity.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
                    I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

Comment

Gift Idea

Well, santa will be skinny at my house, too . But here's an idea for a recipient with the right sense of humor : Try getting some of that Zimbabwe currency on E- bay. They had horrible hyperinflation, and printed dollar bills in the millions to billions to trillions of dollars . The biggest is a 100 trillion dollar note ! Legal tender of a sovereign nation, and probably buys a bag of peanuts. But only in Zimbabwe. I just sent my 14 year old son $ 180 Trillion , and he thought it was awesome . Also educational !

Comment

Originally posted by Been Watchin' View Post
                        Well, santa will be skinny at my house, too . But here's an idea for a recipient with the right sense of humor : Try getting some of that Zimbabwe currency on E- bay. They had horrible hyperinflation, and printed dollar bills in the millions to billions to trillions of dollars . The biggest is a 100 trillion dollar note ! Legal tender of a sovereign nation, and probably buys a bag of peanuts. But only in Zimbabwe. I just sent my 14 year old son $ 180 Trillion , and he thought it was awesome . Also educational !
                        My youngest boy has one of the 100 trillion zimbabwe notes.
                        Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

Christmas: What other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree and eat candy out of your socks?
                          The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
                          Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
                          (Psa 19:1b-2)

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine2777 View Post
                            As someone who has been alone before on Christmas.. and who is facing a Christmas without her mom for the first time in 51 years and whose children will be w/ their dad and whose father has disowned her and brother "hates" her and has no real friends where she lives and has a husband who doesn't understand how Christmas can be since he was raised in a jewish home.... I would tell you to enjoy the people you can spend the day with. Treasure that time and laugh and thank the Lord if you have family around you that day. The gifts are supposed to represent "love"... just show your love "other ways".. maybe in a letter from the heart.... or doing something "they" have wanted you to do but you never would out of fear.... relationships is what it comes down to... with the Lord and with others.. that is where real treasure is!

Comment

We'll have an all out Thanksgiving dinner when the time comes in November, and how much we spend for Christmas will depend upon what my kids ask for and what I'm willing to get them that's on their list. I'm not feeling the recessionary pinch and to be honest, it hasn't reached Alaska yet as far as I can tell. The inflation we've seen in recent years has caused me to adjust what I'm willing to pay for some things... I know most people abhore black friday. I dislike going out into the crowds on black friday but I like getting good prices on stuff we'd purchase anyway on that day.
                              Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

Working...
                              X