Powerful 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes near the vanuatu islands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerful 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes near the vanuatu islands

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) Major 7.5-magnitude earthquake strikes near the Vanuatu Islands.

http://wireupdate.com/wires/5682/pow...nuatu-islands/

Tsunami warning center issues tsunami warning for the solomon islands, vanuatu and new caledonia

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issues tsunami warning for the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu and New Caledonia.
    http://wireupdate.com/wires/5683/tsu...new-caledonia/

Comment

Tsunami warnings issued after major earthquake off Vanuatu

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- A major earthquake struck off the Vanuatu Islands on early Friday, seismologists said, prompting tsunami warnings for nearby coasts.

The 7.4-magnitude earthquake at 4.14 a.m. local time (1714 UTC Thursday) was centered about 214 kilometers (133 miles) north-northwest of Santo, Vanuatu. It struck about 36.1 kilometers (22.4 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, which initially measured the strength of the earthquake at 7.6, immediately issued a tsunami warning for the Solomon Islands, the Vanuatu Islands, and New Caledonia.

"It is not known that a tsunami was generated," the center said in its warning. "This warning is based only on the earthquake evaluation. An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines in the region near the epicenter within minutes to hours."
      http://wireupdate.com/wires/5684/tsu...e-off-vanuatu/

Comment

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...s2010wubj.html

Comment

Australia says no tsunami threat to australia after earthquake off the vanuatu islands

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- Australia says no tsunami threat to Australia after earthquake off the Vanuatu Islands.

Comment

And the other shoe has dropped.

MAP 7.2 2010/05/27 17:14:48 -13.710 166.507 36.1 VANUATU

Earthquake Details

Magnitude

Date-TimeLocation
            13.710S, 166.507E

Depth
            36.1 km (22.4 miles)

Region
            VANUATU

Distances
            215 km (135 miles) NNW of Luganville, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu

340 km (210 miles) SSE of Lata, Santa Cruz Islands, Solomon Isl.
            485 km (300 miles) NNW of PORT-VILA, Efate, Vanuatu
            2070 km (1290 miles) NE of BRISBANE, Queensland, Australia

Location Uncertainty
            horizontal +/- 8.6 km (5.3 miles); depth +/- 21.2 km (13.2 miles)

Parameters
            NST= 69, Nph= 69, Dmin=857.7 km, Rmss=1.26 sec, Gp= 29,

M-type=teleseismic moment magnitude (Mw), Version=8

Source
            • USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
            Event ID
            us2010wubj

Comment

Tsunami warnings in effect after major earthquake off the Vanuatu Islands

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- A major earthquake struck off the Vanuatu Islands on early Friday, seismologists said, prompting tsunami warnings for nearby coasts.

The 7.2-magnitude earthquake at 4.14 a.m. local time (1714 UTC Thursday) was centered about 215 kilometers (135 miles) north-northwest of Luganville, a city on the island of Espiritu Santo in Vanuatu. It struck about 36.1 kilometers (22.4 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, which initially measured the strength of the earthquake at 7.6, immediately issued a tsunami warning for the Solomon Islands, the Vanuatu Islands, and New Caledonia.

"It is not known that a tsunami was generated," the center said in its warning. "This warning is based only on the earthquake evaluation. An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines in the region near the epicenter within minutes to hours."

The Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Centre said there was no tsunami threat to the Australian mainland or islands.

Based on the initial magnitude of 7.6, the European Union Joint Research Centre estimated that the maximum tsunami wave height would likely be 0.85 meter.
              http://wireupdate.com/wires/5687/tsu...atu-islands-2/

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham
                Well we knew it was coming. Yogi, have there been any smaller earthquakes in the area lately? Just wondering if there was something leading up to this.
                I don't know if there is a connection but the most recent Vanatu quake was on 5/23.

MAP 5.5 2010/05/23 20:19:40 -17.914 168.796 129.2 VANUATU

And one before that on 5/22.

MAP 5.0 2010/05/22 14:27:08 -14.053 166.969 34.7 VANUATU

They do look big enough to be connected don't they.

Comment

Tsunami alert issued for Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and New Caledonia after earthquake

Breaking now on BBC News

Tsunami alert issued for Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and New Caledonia after earthquake

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Comment

An aftershock was recorded at 4.45 a.m. local time (1745 UTC Thursday), the U.S. Geological Survey said, but its magnitude was not immediately known.

Comment

A moderate aftershock was recorded at 4.45 a.m. local time (1745 UTC Thursday), the U.S. Geological Survey said, which put the strength of the earthquake at 5.2.

Comment

So far USGS is showing two moderate to strong aftershacks.

MAP 5.2 2010/05/27 17:45:30 -13.656 166.780 35.0 VANUATU

MAP 5.7 2010/05/27 17:24:24 -13.893 166.640 35.0 VANUATU

Comment

Well, I'm not the earthquake expert, but those look strong enough to me to warrant a possible connection. The first one was pretty shallow wasn't it? I haven't seen the depths of the after shocks yet, but the initial one probably caused some damage wouldn't it?
                          The first one in my second post back was 129 km deep and the second one was 37 km deep.

The 7.2 was 36 km deep and the two aftershocks from it were 35 km deep.

So it looks like the first 129 deep one could have destabilized the crust above it and led to the others. But that is pure speculation without much more technical data on them than I have.

Comment

Now USGS has downgraded to a 7.2
                            Shucks, that's still strong enough to quiver my jello.

Yogi, your zipper posts of the past few months just keep rattling around in me noggin.

Comment

You're right Caver. That's a lot stronger earthquake than I ever care to be in.
                              I was in a 7.2 out in Idaho surrounded by guards and a very high fence.....in a nuclear reactor facility surrounded by 3 operating reactors and one expended core facility.

No thank you.....not again. Can't stop the quakes but can control how many stupids I employ in selecting a place to work.

Comment

Working...
                              X