Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volcano Eyjafjallaj÷kull erupts in rural southern Iceland, homes evacuated and emergency declared

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any idea of how bad it was as of yet? I wonder if I can get Iceland on my shortwave????
    The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me.... Living for Jesus - Listening for the Trumpet

:snoopy

Comment

Originally posted by Zerozx View Post
      http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2010...afjallajokull/

Volcanic Eyjafjallaj÷kull, in Southern Iceland, is reported to be erupting. According to the police in Selfoss, evacuation from adjacent farms has commenced. The Icelandic Meteorological Office has received reports of volcanic blaze in the glacier but no major earthquake activities have been recorded as of yet.

Wow! Is all I have to say.....I was worried about Earthquakes, and the Medical bill tomorrow, a Volcano didn't even cross my Mind. I will be praying for them.
      Last edited by 4Godisjust; March 21st, 2010, 08:23 AM. Reason: I was Tired, and had to rewrite what I wrote...

Comment

Well, the local news is carrying it now (ABC and Houston).

Here are the links:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=10160096

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...l/6923198.html

No damage or injuries reported. Thank God!

Comment

One other interesting item I ran across though not related but:

"Seventeen Indonesia volcanoes on alert"

Science News
          Published: March. 19, 2010 at 10:12 AM

BANDUNG, Indonesia, March 19 (UPI) -- Seventeen of 18 volcanoes in Indonesia are on alert status and emitting toxic gas, a federal monitoring agency said.

The mountains are safe to visit as long as tourists stay at least a half-mile away from the gas-producing craters, Indonesia's Volcanology and Geology Hazard Mitigation Center said.

The alert status is the second level of a three-level system of warning. The Ibu volcano in West Halmahera is the only one of the 18 volcanoes at the lower No. 3 standby level, Antara news reported.

Mount Talang in Sumatra and Mount Karangetang in Sulawesi are the most recent volcanos to have their status raised to alert.

Other Indonesian volcanoes on alert include Krakatoa, Bromo, Kaba, Anak, Slamet and Lokon.

In 1883, Krakatoa erupted in an explosion equivalent to 200 megatons of TNT -- about 13,000 times the force of the U.S. bomb that devastated Hiroshima, Japan, during World War II.
          http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2010...7171269007967/

Comment

Volcano erupts in Iceland, hundreds evacuated

Authorities evacuated hundreds of people after a volcano erupted beside a glacier in southern Iceland, Iceland's civil protection agency said Sunday, but there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The eruption occurred around 11:30 p.m. Saturday (7:30 p.m. EDT) beside the Eyjafjallajokull glacier, the fifth largest in Iceland. Authorities initially said the eruption was below the glacier, triggering fears that it could lead to flooding from glacier melt, but scientists conducting an aerial survey in daylight located the eruption and said it did not occur below ice.

"The eruption is a small one," said Agust Gunnar Gylfason, a risk analyst at the Civil Protection Department.

"An eruption in and close to this glacier can be dangerous due to possible flooding if the fissure forms under the glacier," he said. "That is why we initiated our disaster response plan."
            http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100321/D9EIV3JG0.html

sigpic

Comment

12 hours ago - Iceland-bound U.S. flight diverted, main airport closed due to volcano eruption - http://wireupdate.com/wires/2423/ice...cano-eruption/

REYKJAVIK (BNO NEWS) -- KeflavÝk International Airport, Iceland's main airport, was closed after a volcano erupted in the southern part of the country, aviation officials said on early Sunday.

Iceland's national air traffic control center said airspace in a radius of 120 nautical miles had been closed to all traffic, which includes KeflavÝk International Airport. "We don't know how high the ash plume is going because its dark," an official said.

Icelandair flight 688, which took off from Orlando Sanford International Airport in Florida around 7.15 p.m. EDT on Saturday was diverted to Boston Logan International Airport. It was initially expected to land at KeflavÝk International Airport at 6.10 a.m. local time on Sunday.

Icelandair flight 680, which departed Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in Washington at 4.37 p.m. PDT on Saturday, was also diverted to Boston Logan International Airport as it flew over Canada. It was still en-route to Boston at 12.07 p.m. EDT on Sunday.

Icelandair flight 630 from Boston Logan International Airport was scheduled to depart at 9.39 p.m. EDT on Saturday, but never took off.

It is not clear how long the restrictions may last.

Comment

The latest - 12 hours ago - Hundreds evacuated after Icelandic volcano erupts, first since 1823 - http://wireupdate.com/wires/2426/hun...-since-1823-3/

REYKJAVIK (BNO NEWS) -- A state of emergency was declared and evacuations were ordered after the Eyjafjallaj÷kull volcano in southern Iceland erupted on early Sunday, the Icelandic Civil Defense said.

The eruption of the Eyjafjallaj÷kull volcano, which is located north of the small village of Skˇgar and is covered by a large icecap, began close to midnight local time. The Icelandic Civil Defense confirmed the volcano was erupting and national television channels showed live images of a bright light over the area, but there were no immediate reports of injuries.

Because the eruption could melt the ice on top of the volcano and cause flooding, evacuations have been ordered for the surrounding area. People in the area of Fljˇtshli­ and the areas to the west of the Markarfljˇts should evacuate to Hvolsv÷llur and Hella. Farms to the west to ┴sˇlfsskßli should evacuate to Heimaland. The farms of ┴sˇlfsskßli, Skßlakot and Moldn˙pur should evacuate to VarmahlÝ­. Ůorvaldseyri and all farms to the east of Hr˙tafell should evacuate to Drangshli­. People east of Skˇgarß should evacuate to VÝk.

Three Red Cross mass care centres have been opened in the villages of Hella, Hvolsv÷llur and VÝk and Red Cross volunteers are ready to receive people. The Red Cross telephone helpline, 1717, has also been opened and is able to provide information about the eruption to members of the public.

The civil defense said a regional state of emergency has been declared and initiated the emergency response plan. The National Emergency coordination centre in Skˇgarhli­, Reykjavik, has been activated and is operational. Rescue teams have been dispatched to the area.

The country's main airport, KeflavÝk International Airport, was closed after the eruption. The national air traffic control center said airspace in a radius of 120 nautical miles had been closed to all traffic, which includes KeflavÝk International Airport, because of volcanic ash. "We don't know how high the ash plume is going because its dark," an aviation official said, adding that several local airports had also been closed.

He said the agency is waiting for more data from experts and expected the restrictions to remain in place until at least daylight. Volcanic ash was seen falling down in the area of Fljˇtshli­.

The eruption is the first since 1823 and follows weeks of increased seismic activity, according to the Icelandic Meteorological Office. It said most of the small earthquakes were located about 4 to 10 kilometers deep.

The Icelandic Meteorological Office said it detected a slight increase of seismic acticity at three seismic stations next to Eyjafjallaj÷kull at about 10.30 p.m. local time on Saturday. Around the same time, it received the first reports that an eruption could be underway.

U.S. FLIGHTS AFFECTED

Three Iceland-bound U.S. flights were affected due to the airspace restrictions. Icelandair flight 688, which departed Orlando Sanford International Airport in Florida around 7.15 p.m. EDT on Saturday was diverted to Boston Logan International Airport as it flew over Canada. It was initially expected to land at KeflavÝk International Airport at 6.10 a.m. local time on Sunday.

Icelandair flight 680, which departed Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in Washington at 4.37 p.m. PDT on Saturday, was also diverted to Boston Logan International Airport as it flew over Canada. It was initially scheduled to land in Iceland at 6.45 a.m. local time on Sunday. The flight was still en-route to Boston at 12.30 a.m. EDT on Sunday.

Icelandair flight 630 from Boston Logan International Airport was scheduled to depart at 9.39 p.m. EDT on Saturday, but never took off.

Comment

New article - they are fearing a second eruption!!

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/03...est=latestnews

Just... wow!!

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestMama View Post

Just... wow!!
                    OH NO!

Comment

What's up with Iceland? First bankruptcy for them, now this.

Comment

Yeah, I wondered if that was a typo when I first saw the name. I wonder how it's pronounced...
                        http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100322/...celand_volcano
                        Scientists say history has proven that when the Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupts, Katla follows Ś the only question is how soon. And Katla, located under the massive Myrdalsjokull icecap, threatens disastrous flooding and explosive blasts when it blows.
                        Saturday's eruption at Eyjafjallajokull (AYA-feeyapla-yurkul) Ś dormant for nearly 200 years
                        Prov 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding ...

Comment

Originally posted by cocopea9052 View Post
                          One other interesting item I ran across though not related but:

"Seventeen Indonesia volcanoes on alert"

Science News
                          Published: March. 19, 2010 at 10:12 AM

BANDUNG, Indonesia, March 19 (UPI) -- Seventeen of 18 volcanoes in Indonesia are on alert status and emitting toxic gas, a federal monitoring agency said.

The mountains are safe to visit as long as tourists stay at least a half-mile away from the gas-producing craters, Indonesia's Volcanology and Geology Hazard Mitigation Center said.

The alert status is the second level of a three-level system of warning. The Ibu volcano in West Halmahera is the only one of the 18 volcanoes at the lower No. 3 standby level, Antara news reported.

Mount Talang in Sumatra and Mount Karangetang in Sulawesi are the most recent volcanos to have their status raised to alert.

Other Indonesian volcanoes on alert include Krakatoa, Bromo, Kaba, Anak, Slamet and Lokon.

In 1883, Krakatoa erupted in an explosion equivalent to 200 megatons of TNT -- about 13,000 times the force of the U.S. bomb that devastated Hiroshima, Japan, during World War II. http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2010...7171269007967/
                          Krakatoa is on alert ! I said to myself, "What's Happening !!! " ... but then i realized, we KNOW what's happening ....

whew ! Even So Come Quickly, Lord Jeus ! Maranatha !
                          Prov 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding ...

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdWatch View Post

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdWatch View Post
                              Krakatoa is on alert ! I said to myself, "What's Happening !!! " ... but then i realized, we KNOW what's happening ....
                              whew ! Even So Come Quickly, Lord Jeus ! Maranatha !
                              Wow! Thanks for posting this, 3rdWatch.

Comment

Eyjafjallaj÷kull,
                                Are you sure that isnt a typo?

Originally posted by MidwestMama View Post

Just... wow!!
                                W W is right!

Comment

Working...
                                X