8.1 quake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robinbobbin View Post
    Does anyone know if these are on the same fault lines as the earthquakes last week? or, does anyone know of a site where I can look that up?
    i believe so, "the ring of fire" is what it is called.

actually Fox News just did a teaser on the recent nomber of quakes (17 i think they said) and mentioned the ring of fier and said that some geologists were concerned that an earthquake on the other side of the world could bring destruction to the united states like it has never seen before.

i think i got the wording pretty close to exact...

anyway, they will have the story on shortly after this current commercial break is over

Comment

• Originally posted by WVBORN56 View Post
      We don't seem to track pestilence and famine as well as earthquakes. I guess earthquakes are more noticalbe and dramatic.

We seem pretty sure erthquakes are on the increase. What about the other two?

Thoughts or statistics to share?
      pestilence and famine often follow quakes and weather disasters, usuallt the focus is on the disaster itself not always the aftermath beyond the search for bodies, at least thats what it seems like to me. the news will tell you about the storm or the quake, then for maybe 3 days they will report about the search for survivors and after that the story dissolves

Comment

• I keep hearing that famine is on the increase, but I'm sorry, I have no stats to confirm it.

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

A closed mouth gathers no feet. Unknown

Inside there's a thin woman trying to get out.
        I'm keeping her sedated with chocolate

Comment

• Originally posted by icebear View Post
          pestilence and famine often follow quakes and weather disasters, usuallt the focus is on the disaster itself not always the aftermath beyond the search for bodies, at least thats what it seems like to me. the news will tell you about the storm or the quake, then for maybe 3 days they will report about the search for survivors and after that the story dissolves
          Good point icebear...I guess I was thinking more along the lines of the staving children we use to see in Africa. I'm sure they are still there but is it increasing?
          Jesus is coming now at "Any Moment"! Are you ready?

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Praying for the Peace of Jerusalem. Amen.

Comment

• WVBORN why don't you start a new thread about that. I'm sure there are people here that would help you with stats.
            sigpic

Comment

• Another cause of pestilence and famine is war and rumors of wars. Currently weather, crop failures, drought and finances are adding to the misery. But war is almost always a huge cause.

None of he above is usually reported in detail, especially with hard numbers to back up claims.

Comment

• There was a 6.4 aftershock today. Now you know there are alot of biggies when we start ignoring a 6.4.
                sigpic

Comment

• 4 aftershocks today of magnitude 6.0+

Amazing, considering most aftershocks are in the 4-5 range and 6.0+ quakes are usually considered as seperate earthquakes

Comment

• A 6+ on our west coast or anywhere in the US for that matter would be death and destruction. There have been so many bigger ones lately that we are becoming numb to the "lesser"6s.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by caligal View Post
                      A 6+ on our west coast or anywhere in the US for that matter would be death and destruction. There have been so many bigger ones lately that we are becoming numb to the "lesser"6s.
                      Well, that all depends. I was in the Nisqually earthquake in 2001 which was 6.8, and it resulted in zero deaths and only light to moderate damage. Compare that to the Northridge earthquake of 1994, which was only 6.7, but resulted in 72 deaths and did catastophic damage. It's all based on the topography around where it hits, its depth, and how close to a major population center it is.

Comment

• The thing to remember about the numerical rating of earthquakes is that the number only rates the amount of energy in the quake. A 4.0 quake very near to the surface and directly under a city will do more damage than a 7.0 quake at great depth and far away from a population center. Other factors are the makeup of the ground where the quake occurs. If the ground is solid rock it will transmit the energy to structures much more efficiently than if the quake happened in soft soil areas. There are many factors to consider but you just have to keep in mind that the size of the quake as in a 7.5 or so is less important than where it hits in most cases.

Comment

• Yeah your right.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X