No announcement yet.

A nation bursting with spoiled brats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed Sunshine - the more you have, the more you have to lose, or so that saying goes, I think. I sometimes wonder about people being indifferent to the carnage that is occurring in the US government, but most people I think are too lazy or sated to determine what is true and what is not.

As a Christian, I dont have an excuse - and I fail the test regularly, and need His help all the time.

Comment

It's nice to be reminded every once in a while how many conveniences we have. We tend to forget.

I do think that purposely scorning all the wonderful things that have been invented is a little ungrateful as well. (If you can afford it) cable and internet are great resources, and there's nothing wrong with nice things. God made us with such ingenuity, and I think all the advancements we have made over the last century is a reflection of God's character. We are always looking for ways to better our situations.

It reminds me of purposely not taking any drugs during childbirth. Our grandmothers would have slapped us silly if they knew we would reject such a wonderful invention. They would have died to have epidurals 100 years ago! And I'm sure that people in third world countries would think we're crazy for rejecting the things that they would love to have!

Comment

This reminds me of a line from an old song:

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone."

But yes, this is definitely true.

Comment

Originally posted by TotallySoldOut View Post
          It reminds me of purposely not taking any drugs during childbirth. Our grandmothers would have slapped us silly if they knew we would reject such a wonderful invention. They would have died to have epidurals 100 years ago! And I'm sure that people in third world countries would think we're crazy for rejecting the things that they would love to have!
          Now come on, that is a very controversial issue and has nothing to do with shunning modern technology to prevent one from becoming spoiled. Choosing unmedicated childbirth is also not an insult to women of other generations, either. Surely you could have posted another example that isn't so divisive?

Comment

I confess that I am dependent on modern conveniences to a great degree. I hardly ever think about running water/electricity/satellite TV/wireless access unless it is interrupted. I am also one of those who feels naked without my cell phone. Still, I know my existence is not bound up in those things, and I can do without them if I have to. I am thankful on a daily basis for all things God has given us, and I am glad that those who invented all things that make modern life better were given the intelligence (by God) to invent those things. If you are led to live a "simpler life" (and some do), then that is between you and God. If you are led to use all the technology at your disposal, then don't abuse the blessing and use it as glory to God. Teach your children that these things are not necessities, but luxuries, and show them by example how to use them responsibly. I posted in a different post that we have at times had the telephone disconnected, but we have never had the electricity cut off. We have been greatly blessed.

BTW -- I had epidurals with both my boys, and boy, am I glad I did!! To me, epidurals are just another kind of medicine to relieve pain and suffering. Physicians use medicines to do just that. God is known as the Great Physician. Yes, I know this primarily refers to the spiritual condition, but Jesus also referred to physicians in His teaching where He observed that (paraphrasing here) people who are not sick don't seek a physician, but people who are sick do. However, the Apostle Paul also observed that a person should not criticize another person because they do (or don't) eat a certain thing or live a certain way. In other words, don't criticize a person who doesn't eat meat or try to make them eat it. Live and let live with the "small" things. There are bigger things to be concerned about, like a person's salvation.
            "Oir is leatsa an rioghachd, agus an cumhachd, agus a gloir, gu siorraidh, Amen." ("For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever, Amen" -- Scots Gaelic)

Comment

Originally posted by Musician in His house View Post

BTW -- I had epidurals with both my boys, and boy, am I glad I did!! To me, epidurals are just another kind of medicine to relieve pain and suffering. Physicians use medicines to do just that. God is known as the Great Physician. Yes, I know this primarily refers to the spiritual condition, but Jesus also referred to physicians in His teaching where He observed that (paraphrasing here) people who are not sick don't seek a physician, but people who are sick do. However, the Apostle Paul also observed that a person should not criticize another person because they do (or don't) eat a certain thing or live a certain way. In other words, don't criticize a person who doesn't eat meat or try to make them eat it. Live and let live with the "small" things. There are bigger things to be concerned about, like a person's salvation.
              My short version is: I had a working epidural with one and the entire birth felt anti-climactic. So I opted for no meds at all with #2 and felt like a million bucks after. I'd never choose an epidural again based on my experience. But I never fault women who want them.

The bottom line is what I quoted in your post above. There ARE bigger things to worry about, which is why this entire example of medicated vs. unmedicated childbirth is a very poor choice for this thread.

Comment

Igglet, I agree.
                "Oir is leatsa an rioghachd, agus an cumhachd, agus a gloir, gu siorraidh, Amen." ("For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever, Amen" -- Scots Gaelic)

Comment

It is an interesting observation as to what the definition of spoiled has conjured up here...Starbucks, high speed internet, cable, MP3, new cars etc. Personally I think the strata runs a whole lot deeper than these items very deep.

Just think of a few years ago when the NE corridor had a loss of power. Maybe it was in 03 look at how paralized things became. If people are held up by just a fraction of time on the roadways they would soon as kill you or themselves just to get one car ahead of you. We no longer accept truth for what it is less we are inconvienced but instead will create our own truths to me one of the most haunting videos on youtube is when Oprah denied Jesus.

If our kids get sick immediately people get in a bind and demand doctors put their child on an antibiotic just check out the latest webmd commercial and see for yourself when people will say they can't be bothered with the time it takes to see a doctor and they know best. Our generation wants what it would take a lifetime to build and they want it before they graduate HS. My work treats me like I am a dinosuar because I refuse to text message my customers but will use "snail mail" get with the times I am told.....Leaves me to my first thought when the power went out for the day in the NE a couple of years ago how will this generation cope with something that we take for granted like electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by igglet View Post
                    Now come on, that is a very controversial issue and has nothing to do with shunning modern technology to prevent one from becoming spoiled. Choosing unmedicated childbirth is also not an insult to women of other generations, either. Surely you could have posted another example that isn't so divisive?
                    Yeah, probably not the best analogy. But it sounded good at the time I had a feeling that wouldn't go over so well. Strike it from the record.

Comment

Musician and Totally Sold Out-- Thanks! So glad we agree on the important stuff!

Comment

Great article. I thank God we have many of these conveniences yet at the same time I wouldn't mind us not having most of them.
                        And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 1 Timothy 6:8

Comment

I think it has more to do with a sense of entitlement - people feel like they are not complete unless we live a large house, drive a new car, wear the best clothes,and get the newest gadget (e.g., I-phone). It's a sickness that hasn't just infected children and young adults, a lot of older adults have fallen prey as well. Think about the number of people in the 30's and 40's that are up to their eyeballs in CC debt but you see them go to starbucks everyday and get their $5 cup of coffee or go buy designer purses and handbags when their children may be on reduced price lunches at school. Why....because they feel like they are entitled to it. It all boils down to pride.

Comment

My grandparents home burned in 1956. Not only did they lose everything but since they had paid off their house, they had cancelled their insurance on it. For a while they lived in the dairy barn. My mom told me that my grandmother would kneel down to pray in that old barn. That touched my soul to think about it. I thank God that I had grandparents like them!

Yes, today's kids are very very spoiled and take everything for granted. They way some kids disrespect their parents shocks me. Example: Mom give me money now! And they get it! Drives me nuts. From working in the public I've seen how kids talk to their parents and many times have had to bite my tongue not to say anything to them. There were times that I didn't hold my tongue and said a few things to their kids about a little thing called respect of their elders. Of course, I guess I'm just "old school".

Comment

Schools are daycare. Teachers can't have a civil discussion with parents about their behavior and grades, often times. We award trophies to anyone and everyone in a sporting or special event and we have fourteen valedictorians. Everyone is special. Don't hurt any precious snowflakes, lest you incur the wrath of some parent.
                              The Gospel of Jesus Christ

"I am more flawed and sinful than I ever dared believe."

"I am more loved and accepted than I ever dared hope."

Comment

I have to admit my children are spoiled and so are we. Sometimes it is nice to put it in perspective and from the time my kids were very little, we would gather their nice toys that they had outgrown and take them to the women and children's shelter. I let my kids hand them out so they could feel the kind of compassion that it takes. My kids are both the type that would give what they have to someone else in a heartbeat (my son would no problem-my daughter has some material issues we are working on) Anyway, my point is that we are so blessed and we forget what others have struggled for in history and even today just down the street. In fact, today I talked to my son about getting his friends involved in a clothing and food drive for homeless teens (Stand Up For Teens), and my daughter surprised me with her homework for tomorrow, which is a story about Christmas-and though it talks about presents and family time, she did say it was about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. (We'll see if the teachers call me tomorrow over this one). My point is that even though we are spoiled and our children too, if we teach them to love like Jesus loves, they will keep the lamps lit in the next generation unless we are raptured first.

Comment

Working...
                                X