Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost impossible to prevent Assad from using chemical weapons, US Army chief says

WASHINGTON (AP) —
    The United States has largely ruled out sending in ground troops to secure Syrian chemical weapons under hostile circumstances, but the Pentagon could provide some forces if the Assad regime ever agrees to a peaceful transition, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Thursday.

Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, acknowledged that it will be nearly impossible to prevent the Syrian government from using its chemical weapons, so the US must rely on deterrence and continue warning Syria that using them would be unacceptable.

“The act of preventing the use of chemical weapons would be almost unachievable,”
    Dempsey said during a Pentagon press conference. “You would have to have such clarity of intelligence, you know, persistent surveillance, you’d have to actually see it before it happened, and that’s — that’s unlikely, to be sure.”
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/us-troo...yrian-weapons/

I'll bet that Israel has "such a clarity of intelligence", "persistent surveillance" re: Syria's chemical weapons.
    :shifty

sigpic

Comment

• Syrian rebels: We're on our way to Assad

Its getting closer saints!

Syrian rebels: We're on our way to Assad

After seizing strategic airbase of Taftanaz, rebels turn to their main target: Presidential palace in Damascus. 'With Allah's help, we are headed in your direction Bashar,' websites affiliated with rebels state
      http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...331373,00.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucid View Post
        You could be right. We'll find out soon enough, won't we?

I did a quick search in my concordance with the word "harvest". In the OT, it is always talking about an actual "harvest" on the earth.

In the NT, it's all about folks being saved. http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/...hs=1&sa=Search

It's just an interesting thought to consider.

I just know I'm ready to !
        It is interesting and ditto on the readiness.

Originally posted by raptureholic View Post
        Its getting closer saints!
        Yeah hope so. Just noticing tensions elsewhere continue or either escalate around the world. France has just launched air strikes on Islamists in Mali. China sent fighters to counter Japanese aircraft over their disputed islands and air space. India in tensions with Pakistan. Pakistan itself just had one of their most deadly days in history. I understand talks over Iran's nuke program failed. On and on it goes.
        sigpic

Luke 21:28

"Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near"

Comment

• Rebels overrun Syria airbase. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20984142
          sigpic John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Love RR Family, Janice

Comment

• Originally posted by raptureholic View Post
            Here's another article $teve, obliviously nothing getting resolved as usual, go figure.
            No, it's going to be interesting to see what the final outcome of all this will be. Whether it feeds into a tribulation event or just prior, is yet to be seen as well. Purely speculation, but the civil war could continue until such time someone launches a nuke perhaps in response to the war spreading or Assad employing chemical weapons or some such thing, which along with other events, would trigger the AC to step up and intervene with his hocus pocus. This scenario doesn't necessarily mean it has to unfold in very short time as civil wars can last for years, as this one is already showing - it's continued longer than what many might of thought otherwise. I put that down to foreign players at work here providing various supports.
            sigpic

"Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near"

Comment

• War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed. 27 He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven (seven years).

From the book of Daniel chapter 9

Comment

• Perhaps a strange but rather good story about the war in Syria.....

"Snowball truce" brings brief joy to war-weary Damascus
                By Erika Solomon
                BEIRUT | Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:57am EST

"Hi, Sam". "Oh hi there Ralph"
                "That snow is such fun and so lovely isn't it Sam?"
                "Beautiful Ralph. We should learn to enjoy each others' company a lot more."

For a few fleeting hours, residents of Syria's capital dropped their guns for snowballs and traded hatred for laughter.

A rare snowfall that covered Damascus in white on Wednesday sparked an overnight outbreak of playfulness among Syrians, who momentarily ignored their bloody civil war and forgot their affiliations as dissidents, loyalists and even soldiers.

"Last night, for the first time in months, I heard laughter instead of shelling. Even the security forces put down their guns and helped us make a snowman," Iman, a resident of the central Shaalan neighborhood, said by Skype on Thursday.

"It was the first time in a long time that I remember talking to our neighbors who are pro-opposition."

Gloom has gripped Damascus for months, as the 21-month-old revolt against President Bashar al-Assad edges closer to the capital, with gunfire and shelling echoing from its outskirts.

A winter storm ravaged Syria and its neighbors this week, flooding and freezing towns across the region. But residents in the capital said the snow briefly swept away their misery.

"We felt a smile that has been missing from our faces for almost two years and we were all just Syrians," said Amin, a resident of central Damascus, speaking on the internet.

"For a few hours our hearts were as pure as the snow."

The uprising against four decades of Assad family rule began as peaceful protests but has become an armed and increasingly sectarian conflict that has claimed more than 60,000 lives.

These days, Damascus streets mostly empty after dark. Residents stay at home for fear of violence or kidnapping. Jittery soldiers guard checkpoints and public buildings from clashes and explosions that sometimes penetrate the heart of the city.

But on Wednesday night, residents in several neighborhoods said they had stayed out until the early hours to enjoy the snow, teased by soldiers who usually stand in grim silence.

"We were out until 2 a.m. just playing ... Last night there were woman and children and men outside and no one was afraid," said a resident speaking by internet from Midan, a largely pro-opposition neighborhood in Damascus. With the daily reality of war returning however, he refused to give his name.

"Last night the soldiers threw snowballs at us from their checkpoints. Everyone started coming out and the soldiers would joke: 'Oh no, is this a protest?'" he said.

For most, the snow truce offered little hope of better days, but some said it showed Syrians could still coexist in future.

"I don't think there is any hope we can stop this war - this morning, I could hear the shelling again," said Iman.

"But yesterday, everyone loved each other. And I feel sure that one day we can live together again."
                http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9090OD20130110

Okay folks, snow games, fun and adventures are over. Back to regular Syrian programming....

sigpic

Comment

• Syrian warplanes bomb rebellious Damascus suburbs

Syrian warplanes bomb rebellious Damascus suburbs

BEIRUT (AP) — Syrian fighter jets on Sunday bombed Damascus suburbs in a government offensive to dislodge rebels from strategic areas around the capital, activists said, as clashes raged around army bases and airfields in the country's north.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said warplanes were hitting towns and villages around the capital, while regime forces targeted other neighborhoods with artillery and mortars. At least nine people were killed when a shell hit eastern Ghouta district, the group said.

Also Sunday, Turkish state media said Assad's fighter jets bombed the Syrian town of Azaz near the Turkish border.

At least 34 Syrians wounded in the airstrikes were brought across the border to the Turkish province of Kilis for treatment, the state-run Anadolu agency said. Seven died of the injuries, the report said.
                  http://news.yahoo.com/syrian-warplan...104650242.html

Comment

• Assad and family said to be living on a warship
                    Embattled Syrian President Bashar Assad has moved with his family and a select cadre of associates to a warship off Syria’s coast, where he is being guarded by Russian naval forces, a Saudi daily reported on Monday.

The Russian protection effectively amounts to political asylum for the Syrian president, unnamed intelligence sources told the Saudi daily al-Watan. Assad now travels by helicopter to mainland Syria for official meetings in his presidential palace in Damascus, having lost faith in his security detail, the report said.
                    http://www.timesofisrael.com/assad-a...-on-a-warship/

sigpic

Comment

• That's strange if true. So Assad is essentially conceding that the capital Damascus is no longer a safe haven and risks being overrun by the rebels or requires a far more intensive military campaign in the capital city itself which is too dangerous to live in proximity.
                      sigpic

Comment

• It would seem he is exposing himself by traveling around by helicopter, don't you think??? Now we know why the Russian ships came to the area, though..............

Comment

• Here is the story. http://www.timesofisrael.com/assad-a...-on-a-warship/
                          sigpic John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. Love RR Family, Janice

Comment

• I really see this war getting worse and worse... We must pray for the innocent people living this day to day. Christ grows nearer as each day passes...
                            The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me.... Living for Jesus - Listening for the Trumpet

:snoopy

Comment

• Translation from Arabic is a little choppy, but the instructions to attack Israel as well as Western targets in the event of Assad's termination with extreme prejudice as outlined in the last paragraph are quite clear.

It is a very dangerous chopper flight between Damascus and the Russian ships to commute regularly to conduct high level strategy meetings. Shoulder fired missiles might be concentrated in this area for just that purpose. Could Assad's demise be the line in the sand that quickly leads to Isa. 17?

AFP 1/14/2013

Newspaper: Leo recommends in the event of his assassination rocket strikes on Israel

Wrote "Sunrise Online" Algerian based on what transfer site "News of our country," political sources as Syria high as saying that the Syrian leadership held a series of meetings private security headed by Bashar Assad, in eight hours and forty ensuing political speech on Saturday, told him where to international forces is impossible to launch a major military operation against Syria.

The newspaper reported on January 13 / January under the title: this commandment Assad in the event of his assassination! "It's probably a plan implemented by the national intelligence services and regional, based on the type of smuggling secret U.S. missiles to the Syrian territory working techniques simple but high capabilities and accurate targeting of the headquarters is likely to exist where Assad."

According to information received, Assad had told his commanders that if the success of the process of this kind, and led to his assassination, it gives a mandate on the ground to the top leaders in the army and intelligence raids missile continuing towards targets inside Israel, as well as launching missiles against cutting U.S. military and Israeli Red Sea, and the Mediterranean Sea, and disrupt air traffic over the Mediterranean Sea, through the targeting of civilian aircraft in Europe.

Source: Sunrise Online
                              http://arabic.rt.com/news_all_news/news/604941/

Comment

• Even so, come quickly, Lord Jesus.

Comment

Working...
                                X