Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BorrowedTime View Post
    Aliens.
    And that was cause I had no idea what an invasive species could have meant.
    Many of us, in many parts of the country, have to deal with invasive species.
    Even people in the lawn care business around my area have to deal with them.

Many are introduced by people who have no idea what they are doing.

Originally posted by Koalie View Post
    You can get a wolf hunting tag in Idaho as well. I don't blame the wolf as they're only doing what they were created to do: kill, but it makes me sad when I see pictures of the damage they do to elk and moose.
    See my remark in the previous paragraph about the people
    who introduced this creature to our Northwest.

There was a good reason men removed them (and their cousins) years ago.

We were camping opening weekend of archery season this year and each morning we'd be sitting around the campfire cooking breakfast and thawing out from a cold night, and we had wolves howling all around us. I took a couple walks alone while Eric was hunting but quickly turned around when I saw 100s of wolf prints on the trail that were bigger than my hand.
    You need to be packing some serious heat when you are around their territory.

Too bad we can't label liberals from the EPA as an invasive species.

Comment

Originally posted by madcat View Post
      Anybody want some "alien" TN. coyotes? I have a white deer (with a huge white rack), living in the fields behind my house, and I am afraid he will be attacked.

Seriously, I am leery of ALL executive orders. Just like they like to cherry-pick the constitution, "interpretation" is subject to whatever result that is desired by the "gub-meant".

I do remember in Nevada when coyotes fit this description. You were allowed to hunt them and turn in the pair of ears for a slight profit.

But it sounds like orders where already in place before obamas new one. And I agree with it depends on WHO interprets it.
      Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Comment

Originally posted by TRex2 View Post
        Many are introduced by people who have no idea what they are doing.

There was a good reason men removed them (and their cousins) years ago.

Too bad we can't label liberals from the EPA as an invasive species.
        Yes, I agree that the ones who make these decisions often times only 'think' they know what they're doing. The decisions are often made by people living in cities and nowhere near the area.

You need to be packing some serious heat when you are around their territory.
        Always do! I don't leave home without it! I'm always alert and on guard in the wilderness, but also when I'm out cycling. My husband has always taught me to be more leery of the two-legged predators than the ones with 4 legs.
        Several times while I'm out I've had guys stop me to talk. They don't seem as interested when they see my pink camo gun on my hip.
        I'm not about to let myself become another abduction statistic.

Comment

Always do! I don't leave home without it! I'm always alert and on guard in the wilderness, but also when I'm out cycling. My husband has always taught me to be more leery of the two-legged predators than the ones with 4 legs.
          Several times while I'm out I've had guys stop me to talk. They don't seem as interested when they see my pink camo gun on my hip.
          If you live in the North Half of the State, some of the guys might think you are better looking with the gun on your hip. I always thought it makes a woman look better But that kind of guy isn't a threat.

My personal favorite round is the PDX1, followed closely by the XTP round, but I'll have to look up the physiology of wolves. You might need a different kind of bullet for them. (But I won't be looking at silver bullets )

Comment

Originally posted by TRex2 View Post
            If you live in the North Half of the State, some of the guys might think you are better looking with the gun on your hip. I always thought it makes a woman look better But that kind of guy isn't a threat.

My personal favorite round is the PDX1, followed closely by the XTP round, but I'll have to look up the physiology of wolves. You might need a different kind of bullet for them. (But I won't be looking at silver bullets )
            Ha! My husband always says he loves me in camo! And I do believe he looks at me a little more fondly when we go out shooting and my groupings are within an inch of each other.

I honestly don't know much about bullets...ya lost me there. I just grab a box of ammo for whatever gun I'm using. My husband on the other hand would know what you're talking about.
            My playground is the Selway-bitterroot and Nez Perce national forests. We're within 20 min of both. Google Image those areas...they're beautiful! If I go out with Eric I just pack my .380 on hip and 9mm in camelbak. But if I'm going out alone I'll take a 40 too.

Comment

Ha! My husband always says he loves me in camo! And I do believe he looks at me a little more fondly when we go out shooting and my groupings are within an inch of each other.

I honestly don't know much about bullets...ya lost me there. I just grab a box of ammo for whatever gun I'm using. My husband on the other hand would know what you're talking about.
              My playground is the Selway-bitterroot and Nez Perce national forests. We're within 20 min of both. Google Image those areas...they're beautiful! If I go out with Eric I just pack my .380 on hip and 9mm in camelbak. But if I'm going out alone I'll take a 40 too.
              We should probably should take the gun and ammo discussion to the "gun toter's thread" but I came across some info last night about those wolves that might be in the need to know category.
              The Gun Toter's Thread is here http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?3906...Toter-s-thread
              The most recent post (there are 1072 posts in that thread) http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?3906...11#post2621511

One of your neighbors is a Moose Hunter, and the last time he was out on a hunt, one of the Moose they took was very ate up with tape worms. He said the (government) wildlife people confirmed that the wolves were causing an epidemic of Tapeworm in the area he was hunting.

Certainly shows the foolishness of the "environmentalists" that thought it would be a good idea to "reintroduce" a wolf species to that area. Especially a breed that had never been there before.

Comment

I'm always alert and on guard in the wilderness, but also when I'm out cycling. My husband has always taught me to be more leery of the two-legged predators than the ones with 4 legs.
                This last summer I took up running on trails in the area. I'd take an mp3 player and listen to Jan Markell's shows that I'd downloaded. Probly on account of I'm kind of old and jogging takes all I've got, I tend to have my eyes down a lot. One time I looked up just in time to see a moose rush to the trail and then face me with her ears and stance telling me that I'd better stop in a hurry. I was close enough to be very vulnerable. I'd barely started my jog and didn't want to discontinue it so I slowly back tracked, found a side trail I'd never taken, and continued on. Listening to the the mp3s doesn't allow me to hear some of nature's warning noises that might keep me out of trouble. I guess I'll plan to continue to listen to the mp3s while running and just hope I don't bump into a grizzly who's sharing the trail someday. To keep this on topic, I should say that in this case I reckon I'm the invasive species
                Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
                  ... Listening to the the mp3s doesn't allow me to hear some of nature's warning noises that might keep me out of trouble. I guess I'll plan to continue to listen to the mp3s while running and just hope I don't bump into a grizzly who's sharing the trail someday. To keep this on topic, I should say that in this case I reckon I'm the invasive species
                  I listen to mp3's but with only one earphone.

In my area, we have feral hogs. And Fire Ants.

The fire ants are the most dangerous to me

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
                    This last summer I took up running on trails in the area. I'd take an mp3 player and listen to Jan Markell's shows that I'd downloaded. Probly on account of I'm kind of old and jogging takes all I've got, I tend to have my eyes down a lot. One time I looked up just in time to see a moose rush to the trail and then face me with her ears and stance telling me that I'd better stop in a hurry. I was close enough to be very vulnerable. I'd barely started my jog and didn't want to discontinue it so I slowly back tracked, found a side trail I'd never taken, and continued on. Listening to the the mp3s doesn't allow me to hear some of nature's warning noises that might keep me out of trouble. I guess I'll plan to continue to listen to the mp3s while running and just hope I don't bump into a grizzly who's sharing the trail someday. To keep this on topic, I should say that in this case I reckon I'm the invasive species
                    Wow! Yes, when we're out in the forest we're considered the invasive ones!
                    I don't know if I would listen to music or podcasts while out in the woods. Especially with grizzly bears and moose nearby!
                    Although I do listen to music on my phone while I'm cycling. I put it in a pocket on a low volume so I can hear cars coming behind me.

I knew you'd have lots of wildlife stories for us! Very cool!

My dad had a face to face encounter with a cougar this last spring. He's an avid antler (shed horn) hunter, and he was scouring an area for the match. He looked up and ten feet in front of him was a big cougar. He told it, "I'm not on the menu today. You need to just turn around and go somewhere else." And it listened to him.

My grandpa has a cattle ranch about two miles away from where I currently live. One day my grandma looked out the window and saw an African lion in the barnyard. It had killed one calf. Grandpa went out and shot it with a 30-30.
                    Apparently some guy had exotic cats in flimsy cages a few miles away and this female lion escaped.
                    Needless to say we made the 5 o' clock news. My sister and I were there staying the weekend at the farm. I'm thankful we were inside and not out playing like we usually were.

Comment

Always do! I don't leave home without it! I'm always alert and on guard in the wilderness, but also when I'm out cycling.
                      Good for you, Koalie. Perhaps you keep your 'heat' safely holstered. My concern would be that someone might reach over and remove your gun and use it themselves.
                      sigpic
                      -Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
                        Good for you, Koalie. Perhaps you keep your 'heat' safely holstered. My concern would be that someone might reach over and remove your gun and use it themselves.
                        I do keep it in a secure holster. I suppose there's always a chance that someone could try to disarm their victim.
                        In that instance I would hope that God would give me the instinct, ability, and prudence to know what to do.
                        Every time I cycle, walk, hike, or cross county ski, I ask God for his protection.

Comment

Every time I cycle, walk, hike, or cross county ski, I ask God for his protection.
                          The first thing is the best thing.

Second to that is situational awareness, which you also seem to have.

Comment

Working...
                          X