Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump Nominates Brett Kavanaugh to Supreme Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trump Nominates Brett Kavanaugh to Supreme Court

    President Trump nominated appeals court judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court Monday night to replace the retiring Justice Anthony Kennedy, ending a days-long guessing game that began the moment Kennedy announced his retirement on June 27.
    The four finalists – Kavanaugh and fellow appeals court judges Amy Coney Barrett, Thomas Hardiman and Raymond Kethledge – were drawn from a list of 25 names vetted by conservative groups.

    A clue to Kavanaugh’s nomination emerged hours before the announcement when the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals issued a written opinion in which the judge sided with the majority. The D.C. court does not typically issue opinions on Mondays except in response to emergency petitions, suggesting that the case had to be disposed of before Kavanaugh was nominated for the high court.

    Kavanaugh, a former law clerk to Kennedy in 1993, was elevated to the powerful federal appeals court in the District of Columbia by President George W. Bush, under whom he had served as a White House lawyer and staff secretary. Kavanaugh, 53, also won the confidence of key players in the Bush circle such as strategist Karl Rove.

    This, however, had risked being something of a double-edged sword for Kavanaugh in the Trump era, raising concerns among some Trump supporters that he was too much of a D.C. insider and too closely associated with the Bush circle.

    The Bush connections also harmed him with Democrats at the time of his initial nomination, who delayed his confirmation. But despite the criticism, he wore his support for Bush on his sleeve. It remains to be seen if those ties will complicate his confirmation process now -- both with Democrats and Trump’s base.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...eme-court.html
    IMO, POTUS picked the worst of the three he was considering for appointment to SCOTUS. Kavanaugh clerked for Kennedy, was a Bush GOP establishment appointment, and worst of all, declined to rule against Obamacare's individual mandate when it came before him in 2011. Kavanaugh agreed with Justice Roberts' decision that Obamacare is a tax. I am sorely disappointed by Trump's choice and I believe Kavanaugh will simply be a replacement for Kennedy, voting with the liberals just as Kennedy did. Sadly, Kavanaugh is more like John Roberts than Neil Gorsuch. For the life of me, I don't understand why Trump nominated someone who is NOT a conservative. I hope the Democrats do refuse to confirm him, so Trump can gain control of his senses and nominate a true conservative.

  • #2
    If he is problematic enough,
    maybe someone will block his nomination,
    and Trump will replace him with one of the others.

    With Trump, you never know:
    that may have been his plan all along.

    Comment


    • #3
      Michael Savage described Brett Kavanaugh as a moderate. That concerned me as I equate that word with globalists and liberals.
      Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

      3 trees

      Comment


      • #4
        I agree with you. He is also a Jesuit and will follow where the pope leads him. I'm glad they are protesting against him.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TRex2 View Post
          If he is problematic enough,
          maybe someone will block his nomination,
          and Trump will replace him with one of the others.

          With Trump, you never know:
          that may have been his plan all along.
          POTUS has done some good things for the country, keeping his campaign promises, but some of the things he's doing quite frankly are dumbfounding. This whole Russia "collusion" matter could be stopped immediately and investigations into the Democrats and their lapdogs at DOJ/FBI could go forward - Trump has the power to do so. And why he hasn't fired spineless, wimpy, milquetoast AG Jeff Sessions is an absolute mystery to me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TimeWarpWife View Post

            POTUS has done some good things for the country, keeping his campaign promises, but some of the things he's doing quite frankly are dumbfounding. This whole Russia "collusion" matter could be stopped immediately and investigations into the Democrats and their lapdogs at DOJ/FBI could go forward - Trump has the power to do so. And why he hasn't fired spineless, wimpy, milquetoast AG Jeff Sessions is an absolute mystery to me.
            Maybe he is allowing them to spin their wheels on the Russia idea just to keep them occupied. Like a dog with a bone.

            No clue about the AG.
            "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
            always abounding in the work of the Lord;
            knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

            1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Firefly View Post

              Maybe he is allowing them to spin their wheels on the Russia idea just to keep them occupied. Like a dog with a bone.

              No clue about the AG.
              I don't have the last numbers immediately available, but the longer it goes on the more the American public view it as a witch hunt. Last year if I remember it correctly it was 40% or so that believed that it was fake and las time I heard several months ago, it was 53% or so. Basically the longer it goes on, the worse for the deep state.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by benmcd View Post

                I don't have the last numbers immediately available, but the longer it goes on the more the American public view it as a witch hunt. Last year if I remember it correctly it was 40% or so that believed that it was fake and las time I heard several months ago, it was 53% or so. Basically the longer it goes on, the worse for the deep state.
                Maybe so and I hope so, but those who DO believe the Russian story believe it utterly. You'd have an easier time convincing them that the sun rose in the west yesterday than that the "Russian conspiracy" is an unfounded witch hunt.
                --------Eric H. Bowen

                sigpic 16 inch Armor Piercing: When you care enough to send the very, very, best!

                Comment

                Working...
                X