This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prayer for our elected officials

Apostle Paul wrote Timothy a letter around the time of Cesar Nero ... a madman who was feeding Christians to lions etc. ... about this same time ...

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    (1Ti 2:1-4 KJV)

PRAYER FOR OUR RULERS

There is one class of men which the Apostle particularly singles out as subjects
    for our prayers. These are "kings and all that are in authority" (Ver. 2). Why is
    this? He gives us the answer himself. Read it carefully:
    ". . . that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and
    honesty.

"FOR THIS IS GOOD AND ACCEPTABLE IN THE SIGHT OF GOD OUR
    SAVIOR, "WHO WILL HAVE ALL MEN TO BE SAVED, AND TO COME UNTO THE
    KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH" (Vers. 2-4).

In times of revolution and war the cause of Christ generally suffers, for men's
    minds are preoccupied and they have little time or inclination to listen to the
    gospel. Thus we should pray for those in authority, however wicked or godless
    they may be. In Paul's day almost all of those in authority were pagans and
    enemies of the gospel, thus the exhortation to pray for those in authority applies
    at least equally to us.

It is true that Ver. 1 does not specifically state that we should pray for the
    salvation of lost rulers, but this is certainly implied, for the basic purpose of our
    prayers for them is that we might have peace and quiet, "for this is good and
    acceptable to God our Savior, who will have all men to be saved."
    The civil authorities wield great power for good or for evil. They are liable to
    great temptations, but can also do much to promote general godliness. Thus if
    even one of them is genuinely saved, or even becomes God-fearing, think how
    much good will have been accomplished. But even if they remain wicked and
    godless, God can cause them, providentially, to favor such legislation or to take
    such executive action as will advance the cause of Christ. Let us never forget
    that "the king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water: He turneth
    it whithersoever He will" (Prov. 21:1).

Certainly the passage we are considering clearly implies that the true Church
    of Christ is not an agitator. She may stand her ground on moral and spiritual
    issues, and raise her voice against sin, but she does not scream for her rights.
    She understands that while indeed "in the world," she is not "of the world." Such
    passages as the one we have here considered should assure the rulers of this
    world that true Christians are for them in the truest sense of the word.

Many of us have failed to pray for our rulers as we should. Some otherwise
    faithful Christians complain and even rebel against those in authority, but utterly
    fail to pray for them. Can this be pleasing to God? Indeed, if we fail in this are
    not we largely to blame when ill-advised or unjust laws are adopted and
    enforced?

(Stam - Pastoral Epistles)

Amen.

Comment

We don't have rulers, we are not a banana republic. We are Americans and we have a Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramadi_Warrior View Post
        We don't have rulers, we are not a banana republic. We are Americans and we have a Constitution.
        Thank you for pointing out this HUGE difference.

We elect representatives....not rulers.

We elect a president who is a public servant....again, not a ruler.

Comment

Nonetheless, freely elected or not, it's good to pray for our leaders that God would move their hearts to make decisions for the good of the people and the world.

Our world is influenced by the spirit world and it is by our prayers and the movement of the Holy Spirit that our world can be influenced by us and God.

Comment

Originally posted by I Believe!!! View Post
            Nonetheless, freely elected or not, it's good to pray for our leaders that God would move their hearts to make decisions for the good of the people and the world.

There is no difference.

We are told to pray, not look for excuses not to pray. They are our leaders, like it or not. Pray for them.
            Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Comment

I find this Scripture is a good one to pray. 1Tim 2:1-4 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, [and] giving of thanks, be made for all men;
              For kings, and [for] all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
              For this [is] good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
              Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Comment

" Jesus, as you hung on the cross dying for our sins..you said "forgive them, for they know not what they do" How can they if they don't know you. Lord I pray for the salvation of all of those leading this country to destruction. I pray that you intevene on there behalf. Let there be a huge awakening into the truth of who you are. You are Lord and saviour and you will rule and reign. Lord, I pray that you open there eyes to your truth...touch there blind eyes so that they will see. Lord, you sought so many of us on this board out..I pray you do the same for those leading this country. Our country is in trouble Lord, and I pray for your intervenion. We need it now more than ever. You said "If my people, which are called by MY NAME will humble themselves and pray, then you will hear from heaven and heal our land." Lord, these are frightening days we live in, and I pray that you heal our land. We need you Jesus, now more than ever. In Jesus name I pray...Amen.

Comment

I don't know how, or what to pray for ones doing so much evil. I guess the Holy Spirit will need to intercede on this for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kvat3r View Post
                    " Jesus, as you hung on the cross dying for our sins..you said "forgive them, for they know not what they do" How can they if they don't know you. Lord I pray for the salvation of all of those leading this country to destruction. I pray that you intevene on there behalf. Let there be a huge awakening into the truth of who you are. You are Lord and saviour and you will rule and reign. Lord, I pray that you open there eyes to your truth...touch there blind eyes so that they will see. Lord, you sought so many of us on this board out..I pray you do the same for those leading this country. Our country is in trouble Lord, and I pray for your intervenion. We need it now more than ever. You said "If my people, which are called by MY NAME will humble themselves and pray, then you will hear from heaven and heal our land." Lord, these are frightening days we live in, and I pray that you heal our land. We need you Jesus, now more than ever. In Jesus name I pray...Amen.
                    AMEN!!ing in agreement!!!

Comment

Think most of our rulers are on the other side (forces of darkness) so I don't figure they are going to respond to prayers...

Comment

It's not your call. You were commanded to do it, so do it. Perhaps it also helps God's people to understand God better.
                        Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

Joel 3:2

I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

Comment

GREAT reminder! ((HUGS))
                          They are human too. They can get deceived too. They need love too. God loves them too!

Comment

When you find stuff like this I find it really hard some times to pray for our Leaders... But with that said, I will, and do, as the Lord says , pray for our leaders...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi-V_ilJu0w&NR=1

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
                              I don't know how, or what to pray for ones doing so much evil. I guess the Holy Spirit will need to intercede on this for me.
                              Psalm 109:8 (King James Version)

8b ... let another take his office.

Comment

Working...
                              X