In Army of None, a field guide to the coming world of autonomous warfare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Army of None, a field guide to the coming world of autonomous warfare

The framework helps clear some of the confusion between different systems, but it is not sufficient. When machines fight machines, for instance, the speed of the battle can become so great that humans may well do more harm then good intervening. Millions of cycles of the OODA loop could be processed by a drone before a human even registers what is happening on the battlefield. A human out of the loop, therefore, could well lead to safer outcomes. It’s exactly these kinds of paradoxes that make the subject so difficult to analyze.

In addition to paradoxes, constraints are a huge theme in the book as well. Speed is one — and the price of military equipment is another. Dumb missiles are cheap, and adding automation has consistently added to the price of hardware. As Scharre notes, “Modern missiles can cost upwards of a million dollars apiece. As a practical matter, militaries will want to know that there is, in fact, a valid enemy target in the area before using an expensive weapon.”

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/23/in...8TechCrunch%29

When I read this article I was able to imagine machines designed to hunt down and target humans without the mark of the beast... don't know if there will be such a weapon, but this article led to think it could happen.
    Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Originally posted by Tall Timbers View Post
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/23/in...8TechCrunch%29

When I read this article I was able to imagine machines designed to hunt down and target humans without the mark of the beast... don't know if there will be such a weapon, but this article led to think it could happen.
    Yes, I agree. It seems like on almost a weekly basis, I notice something new that I've not seen before, and my mind immediately goes to the AC & how this will help him in his mission to destroy those who refuse his mark and refuse to worship him.
    sigpic
    -Lynn

Comment

Working...
    X