Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex-Catholics Anonymous! Share your Testimony!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too was born into a very Catholic family. My mom was raised at an all girls Catholic boarding school and was going to become a nun until she met my father. I went to Catholic schools until I developed health issues due to stress from the nuns. (When you think of the stereotypical nun stories...that is how elem. school was for me.) I went thru my first communion and confirmation more than once. When we changed from the Catholic to Lutheran church (due to my mom's divorce she could not take the sacraments any longer at the catholic church and when she remarried, she married a Lutheran) I had to repeat the classes and "redo" my first communion and confirmation, and when we changed from one Lutheran church to another I had to repeat confirmation again.

I began babysitting for a family when I was in Jr. High and they invited me to attend a youth group at their church on Wed. nights, a Baptist church. I never KNEW Jesus until I went to those studies. During a series of studies on Prophecy I became saved, I guess that is why it is my passion. The night I got on my knees and confessed my sin to Him and accepted Him as my Lord and Savior I was instantly changed, like others have said a weight was lifted off from me. I remember when I came home in tears and all happy that I had accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, my parents looked at me with blank stares. They didn't get it. Even then, I didn't realize the twisted doctrine of the catholic church or errors in the Lutheran one. I still had to attend church with my parents and didn't go to services at any other church, just the youth group-so I didn't know that the services where so different and that they didn't have the rituals that I had been raised with. When I got married, I married a catholic. I started attending his catholic church and started praying the rosary and bowing to "holy objects" in the church and felt like I was empty, I started just going thru motions and not growing in the Lord or finding the peace I had before. I realized that the catholic church was not Christian and that it sought to bring me back into bondage. During a "baptism class" for my baby that was coming, the priest and I got in a heated argument over his teaching us that if parents didn't even attend classes with the "intention to baptise" and their child died before they were baptised-the child would go to hell. By attending the class, the child MIGHT go to heaven since you showed an intent. This overflowed into my own salvation being in jeopardy. I left and never looked back and found myself a good solid Bible believing church and have been growing in my relationship and walk ever since.

The bondage of the Catholic church is something that is hard to explain, other than it is like going through life dragging a ball and chain with you. You are never good enough, God is angry and scary and not merciful and loving; you doubt your salvation at all times and fear drives you to baptise your infant children "so they will go to heaven"-probably. They put a big barrier between you and Jesus and my heart has been burdened for those who are still caught in such a false religious system. Salvation is given to any person who realizes they are a sinner, they repent and ask Jesus into their heart. You are forever sealed by the Holy Spirit and eternally secure in His hand. Amen!!! No church, no ritual, no works, NOTHING we can do as humans can save us-only the precious blood of Jesus covering our sins will make us righteous.

I thank God He made a way to reach me with His Gospel.

Comment

Originally posted by Biblenuggetlady View Post
      The bondage of the Catholic church is something that is hard to explain, other than it is like going through life dragging a ball and chain with you. You are never good enough, God is angry and scary and not merciful and loving; you doubt your salvation at all times and fear drives you to baptise your infant children "so they will go to heaven"-probably.

Oh such a good point to bring out! The bondage is horrible. We used to crawl around the church on our knees doing the 'stations of the cross'. I had 2 aunts in the convent that would do such 'penance' it was not to be believed.

We are so blessed to have been brought to the truth..

Comment

I was raised in the Catholic Church. I remember that a lot of the mass was said in Latin. For years I did religious ed (catechism) on Saturdays. My oldest brother became a Catholic Priest, he died not too long ago.

Of course, I didn't find Christ with the help of the Catholic church. I'm trying to think back to if the bible readings were done in English v.s. Latin. I don't remember. If they were in English, then the church would have given me enough to become convicted of my sins and to seek the Lord. The homily's were in English. The old priest we had at my parish created all of his homilies while at seminary and repeated them weekly for the rest of his days. My dad knew most of them by heart, word for word.

So back in 1975, I'm 19 years old, alone in a rented home on a beach called Silver Strand in Southern California. For some reason I'm feeling very down. I'm not happy with my life and the way things were going, and I need some help. I remember that a neighbor girl sometime back had been led to give me her bible (she wasn't a Christian but God can use anyone). I held onto it and looked for it that night. I didn't really know what the bible was but I knew it had something do do with God. I found it. It was a green colored hard cover "Living Bible". I opened it up to whatever page and started reading. The book and chapter of the old testament that I first read was one of those that provided genealogical information... so and so begot so and so and they begot so and so. After reading a bunch of unpronounceable names and seeing that there was a whole lot more of that where I was reading, I thought that if I was going to get any help out of that book that it wasn't going to be from that section. So I grabbed a good chunk of pages and flipped them over. This time I was towards the back of the book. While I've forgotten, to be honest, I believe I was in Matthew somewheres. Whatever I read brought conviction to me on the spot.

I felt absolutely terrible. I was crying like there was no tomorrow. For the first time in my life I saw myself as a sinner. A wretched, worthless young man with no redeeming value. I couldn't escape this terrible feeling inside, so I decided to try and go to sleep to escape it. I went to bed, and while laying there, I cried out to God. I don't remember the exact words right now, and I didn't know at the time that there was a guide there with me, but essentially, I told Him that I knew I was a sinner, and that if He would/could forgive me, I would want to live my life for Him. I promptly fell asleep. That was on Oct 10, 1975.

The next morning I woke up and the first thing I noticed was that the sun was shining... it had been overcast for weeks which could have been part of the reason why I had been feeling so blue. Anyway, I appreciated that the sun was shining that morning. I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. I had this big silly smile on my face that seemed to be stuck there and there was light in my eyes that was different. It was when I saw my face that I remembered the night before and I suddenly knew, I KNEW, that God had heard my prayer and had worked a miracle in my life. I started praising Him and thanking Him. I opened the front door of my house (and another little miracle occurred that I won't mention so that Buzzard doesn't have to close his own thread), and I went out and danced in the middle of the street (the middle of the street was only about 15 or 20 feet from our front step).

Whenever I next went to work, I was a restaurant cook in those days, a believing waitress named Dana came up to greet me, took one look at my face, gave me a big hug, and told me she could see what had happened to me... and of course, even though she knew, I had to tell her, because that is just something a fella has to do at a time like that.

I started going to every Christian church in town. I also went to Catholic church services... I went to as many as I could fit in and to as many different churches as I could get to, every week. I read that bible like there was no tomorrow, and from reading it, learned about the born again experience that I was now a veteran of. I had such a hunger for the Word. One night I was led to visit a Pentecostal church in a nearby town. They were doing a revival which I think meant to have services every night. Even before I got there I knew that God had something special in store for me that night. During the service my tears started flowing and when the preacher finally made an alter call I was so busy crying and blowing my nose that I missed it. He wasn't a fool, so he looked right at me and tried again. I got the message that time and went up and was baptized in the Holy Spirit. I know that doesn't fit with everyone's interpretation of the Word on this board, but that is how it all happened with me. I received a boldness that night that returns whenever it needs to, and it has often, but only when it needs to. I also asked that church to baptize me in water, which they were kind enough to do. I had been baptized as a child, but understood that I needed to or should be baptized by my own will and not the will of others.

I continued to visit every church I could find, and began returning to the ones I preferred. Unlike most Catholics who become true believers, I've never been inclined to completely severe my ties with the Catholic church. It's the church I grew up in, but it has little or nothing to do with my faith and salvation. The Catholic church is *messed up* up for sure, but so are the majority of churches out there. When asked, I'll often say I'm a Catholic by birth, a member of the invisible church by faith through grace. I've never found a perfect visible church where I could hang my hat. The types of churches where I most like to worship often have some of the biggest problems, I think. You see, deep down, I'm like the pentecostal who wants to sing and dance and whooop it up. Then again, I also like to quietly read the Word, let it sink in, and without using the vocal cords, quietly thank the Lord for everything.

Some people question whether or not they're saved. that's never been a problem for me. Not for a minute. My only quandary there is which date do I say I was saved on? I was clearly saved on 10 Oct 75 but didn't know about it until the morning of 11 Oct 75.

Anyways, I don't blame the Catholic Church for my not finding God until I was 19. I have known many practicing Catholics who are as true as any other true believers out there. One has to understand that as individuals we don't all agree with everything taught or practiced by the institutions we visit or affiliate ourselves with. When I say many, I should really say one or two here or there. I've known a few spirit filled Catholic priests, among them my departed older brother, but unfortunately that is very rare. My Catholic mother was a true believer, she so rejoiced in my salvation, but it always bugged her that I wasn't attached to the church I was raised in. Mom and I did a lot of fun believer things while she was alive, it is those times I shared with her that I remember the most. I was off overseas fighting one of our wars when she died, so I couldn't be there. My brothers and sisters told me they were taken/surprised by how much time she spent talking about God and going to Jesus just before she died. I wasn't surprised. She knew where home was, she knew her heavenly father, was cleansed by the blood of Jesus, and was about to go home. My poor dad is gone now too, be wasn't a believer even though he never missed a day of church. The Lord made it possible for me to be at his deathbed for a week before he died. I prayed over him while he was alive but unable to respond in any way. I don't suspect he made it, but I can only hope that he heard and responded to Jesus before his last breath.

A year after I got saved I went to South America to do missionary work. I wasn't officially attached to any church but worked in both catholic and Evangelic (Protestant) circles. To this day I'm willing to worship with and work side by side with either of the above. I think that is part of my part in the body.
        Last edited by Tall Timbers; June 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM. Reason: Rule 1
        Tall Timbers, Imperfect but forgiven

3 trees

Comment

I converted to Rcc to marry my husband. Big mistake. I love him and yes, we're still together but have very rocky times in arguing over the whole doctrine they teach. He was born and raised in it. I didn't question much of anything really. Then when Benedict was given the position of Pope, something just didn't sit right with me. Call me weird or what have you but I honestly feel there is a look of evil in that man's eyes. So I started doing online research about the church and it's beliefs. Nope. Not for me. We're still trying to find the right church "fit" per se but I know it's not the Rcc.

Comment

I grew up in a Catholic family but we weren't really that religious-twice a year at first and then just the hour each week. I didn't care much for religion then--just really wanted to live for myself and had no motivation to do otherwise. There was the whole judgment after death thing--but I was young healthy and everyone told me it was very unlikely that I'd have to worry about death anytime soon, so I thought I had at least a good number of years to live for myself before I needed to think about the Lord and religious things, and I'd still have plenty of time for rewards.

It wasn't until my dad was reading a book on prophecy and would talk about it out loud that I knew I had something else to think about. I began to hear my parents mention how bizarre the weather was, more and more often and notice how things seemed to parallel Scripture in the news, outside, etc. I started researching like crazy because I didn't like what I was seeing and wanted hard to put myself back to sleep, but the more I did the more I realized I was right. Eventually I broke down and got saved. Since then most of my theological and spiritual growth was achieved on my own, and from places like here, so I've tended to wax fundamentalist, much like my dad. But he had no issues with leaving there, and I couldn't get myself anywhere else, so I stayed.

I continued to go to the Catholic church with my parents, went to a Catholic college, and went to a graduate school where I was also somewhat involved with the Catholic church there since my parents put a lot of pressure on me to do so--but I started attending Christian youth things in high school--and was very much drawn to that kind of worship. I never thought worship could be like that nor would have ever dreamed the Holy Spirit could move as I saw it did, what with spiritual warfare and prophecy given to others, etc. And I wanted that so badly--I wanted to be that close, to worship Him with all the passion for Him I felt, and to hear from Him, in an extremely intimate, direct, personal way like you wouldn't believe. So I was drawn to those kind of worship services and would go when I could.

Since then things have been getting more complicated. The Lord called me into playing praise guitar and into contemporary worship ministry, and I haven't been really able to serve that much or at my best in the Catholic church, and applications of summer jobs, scholarships, etc. I'm interested in, and would probably have more success with, all need church refs but wouldn't easily take Catholic ones.

I probably have little future w/Catholic churches as a result, and I've tried to explain those issues to my parents (especially my mother, who is more Catholic and less Christian than my dad) and it appears that they understand, but they've made mistakes and comments for a long time. I've had to explain again when talking about churches in the future, and my aunt has thought the Calvary Chapel I'm going to now is a cult and warned me not to get involved in any. (She really likes the '70s Maranatha! Jesus Music I've played for her though. I told her that all that came out of the Calvary Chapels, that the inverted dove on there is the church's symbol-she hasn't made the comment since). But as soon as I move it's bound to come up again.
            Praise Warrior
            Psa 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Comment

Glad To See This Thread!

I started a site many years ago that had the purpose of giving testimonies like those here. I hope many of you will check out the site.

I was "cradle Catholic" until age 44 when I got saved by praying with a man on tv. Four years later I left the RCC.

My family was RCC because I raised my kids in it. They still are and I ask prayer for them. I am 75 now. My site is listed in my profile.

Comment

Wonderful stories!

Keep them coming!

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
                Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
                Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Comment

Hi, Thank you for this wonderful site!!

I was born and raised in the RCC. My whole family were and still are Catholic for the most part.

I went to Catholic school for eight years and my first marriage was through the RCC.

Only shortly after my first marriage at the age of 22 my grandmother and my mother passed within nine months of each other while at the same time divorcing an abusive husband.

At my mother's funeral I was told I couldn't receive communion because I had to get an annulment from the church first. For some reason this inflamed me. I thought who are they to judge me. I knew our Father in Heaven above knew the pain I was going through with my ex and wouldn't want me to suffer.

It was at this time of my life that the JW's knocked on my door. At first I scoffed them but they were persistent showing me things in the Bible "there bible" that I had never been shown before. I NEVER read the True Bible before nor did I know what it said. I was amazed!

This stirred a lot of questions in me. Why was I lied to for so long by the RCC, was the JW's telling the Truth. All I wanted was His Truth. With all the different teachings out there what was the Truth?!

I studied with the witnesses for years only something kept me from joining.

We moved away from where we lived and lost contact with the JW's, during that time still very confused I looked at other denominations, going to a few different church's, studying all I could on my own in deep prayer. Afraid of being mislead again.

One day while I was living in Missouri I had a preacher knock on my door, he asked me if I was saved, I told him I didn't know. He asked if I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior, I told him I did. He said I was saved. For some reason all my studies came together for me. For the first time in my life I felt secure in my salvation.

And the difference was astounding before while I belonged to the RCC I lived life without thought of my sins, today although I am still human I "try" to do my best to do His will and not fall short.

And the biggest and greatest thing of all is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and that is how "I" know I am His child.

A couple of my favorite Scriptures because of my personal walk of faith are: Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. (Matt. 7:7-8) Amen!

ALL Praise Honor and Glory to our Lord, it is only through Him I am where I am today. Me who knew "nothing" of His Truth who was once lost is now found-Praise God.

At one time I didn't even know what a Rapture was, now I am led to believe it with fervor and I too believe time is short. Come Lord Jesus come and thank you for being with me always.

Love in Christ, Cookie
                  sigpicTherefore being justified by faith, we have peace
                  with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:" Romans 5:1.

Comment

Originally posted by BLESSED BEYOND BELIEF View Post
                    [SIZE="3"]I was born into a family of Irish catholics. We were raised very catholic including going to parochial school. I soon became a catholic in name only. I still believed the doctrine and would say very smugly “I am a catholic” if anyone ask, however, I didn’t go to mass any longer or confession, etc.
                    This pretty much sums up much of my experience in the early years. Mum & Dad were Catholic as was their parents. We did the whole CCD classes and the sacraments and all of that. When I became an adult, I was no longer a practicing Catholic other than being a classic C & E attendee until I no longer went at all but still clinging on to the "Catholic" title.

When my daughter was born, I decided to try to "get back into" going to church for the sake of my daughter. I tried a few times but it just never felt right. I never could grasp the concept of telling my sins to a mortal that was probably full of sin himself. I also was disturbed of the over-all Catholic attitude outside of church. It wasn't deemed proper to talk of Jesus and the spiritual things within everyday life. My husbands side of the family (all Catholics) all think I'm weird for speaking about Jesus so often and openly. It was things like that which didn't sit right with me.

Anyway, back on track here. In 2002, I started reading about bible prophecy some through the net. I came across a site which much like WOTM uses Gods law to get to the message of salvation. It was then that I realized that if I were to die that moment, I would be in SERIOUS trouble!. I fell to my knees in prayer and repentance and there was a change within me that was instant.

I begun to read the bible which I had done so many times before but could never understand it. It all made such perfect sense to me. As soon as I had that thought, I was taken to Corinthians 2:14

I realized that I was never saved in the first place nor understood the salvation message while in the Catholic faith. The blinders lifted and I was seeing Christ in a whole new way. Not wrapped up in man made traditions and ceremonies but in an actual relationship with Christ and through Christ I have direct access to my creator. No more praying to various saints for various things, no more repetitive prayer and freedom for the first time in my life.

Comment

You're testimonies are all so terrific, and I wish these were words coming from my husbands family members. They are ALL catholic, and I don't know what they thought when I married their son. (Raised Baptist) I would not get married in a catholic church, would not christen my children (even though his mom said do it "just in case" In case of WHAT?? I thought) And then later on had to hear when his sister was getting married and his brothers second marriages that they married "good catholics." I felt slapped. But now that I feel so secure and happy in my "State of Salvation" I want so badly to tell them everything, but I know that just isn't going to work! They might never want to see me again! I've really been fighting with myself over how I could share the message but not be overwhelming. They're ALL coming to my house this weekend and don't think bombarding them ALL didn't cross my mind! I'm sure my husband wouldn't appreciate that. He still fights with me over catholic beliefs he may still carry with him, so I don't even know if he's truly saved or not. How frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by saint-in-training View Post
                        You're testimonies are all so terrific, and I wish these were words coming from my husbands family members. They are ALL catholic, and I don't know what they thought when I married their son. (Raised Baptist) I would not get married in a catholic church, would not christen my children (even though his mom said do it "just in case" In case of WHAT?? I thought) And then later on had to hear when his sister was getting married and his brothers second marriages that they married "good catholics." I felt slapped. But now that I feel so secure and happy in my "State of Salvation" I want so badly to tell them everything, but I know that just isn't going to work! They might never want to see me again! I've really been fighting with myself over how I could share the message but not be overwhelming. They're ALL coming to my house this weekend and don't think bombarding them ALL didn't cross my mind! I'm sure my husband wouldn't appreciate that. He still fights with me over catholic beliefs he may still carry with him, so I don't even know if he's truly saved or not. How frustrating.
                        ing for guidance, wisdom and power for you.
                        Discernment is not knowing the difference between right and wrong. It is knowing the difference between right and almost right. - Charles H. Spurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by saint-in-training View Post
                          I understand saintintraining Many if not all of may family are still catholic. I try to witness especially to my father who lives with me but he just doesn't get it Even in the times we are living in. And when I mention the same things to my sister she agrees than goes on to say what Sylvia Brown predicted:

Praying for all to come to His Truth.

Comment

I have witnessed to my Catholic family and friends with little obvious result as well. I know that we may be planting seeds, so that's comforting. Praying to Mary and the saints and having a distant relationship with Jesus seems to be the norm with the Catholics I know and a very hard barrier to get past. They are comfortable. And the RCC appeals to their spiritual pride, at least in my family. They think they are the one true church and they think they have more Truth than anyone else. They can't imagine that they have nothing to do with their own salvation. And, they want to continue living in their sin and keep their "religion" boxed up for certain days and times.

Comment

Thank you for your kind words and words of encouragement. Tomarrow's the big day, and I've prayed for guidance and wisdom if He desires to use me in His Will to witness. I like many have a hard time putting together sentences of wisdom, insight. I'm like the fellow in Psalms who asked the Lord to guide his tongue because he would trip over it if left to himself. So, I appreciate everything really, and ask if you could pray for me in this as well. Boy do I need guidance and wisdom. I don't know if there's anything I can say to sway their thinking! Good night

Comment

Praying Saint-in-training, His will be done.

Comment

Working...
                                X