The Baha'i Faith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by icebear View Post
    well he's nothing special. but he is spozed to be this mystical being that will unite all faiths to their true purpose of blah blah blah..... human perfection...the inherent goodness of humanity, unity, oneness and we'll all burst into song and buy eachother coca~colas and we'll wear flowers in our hair.
    kinda a little bit of everything with some celestine prophesy tossed in, in place of anchovies
    That cracked me up. I remember those commercials when I was a kid.

Comment

Bahais and the Bible

Originally posted by truthwarrior View Post
      I knew someone who was in the Bahai' faith and then she got out of it, because when she wanted to read the Bible they would tell her that she could not do that.
      I think you might have Bahai mixed up with something else. Bahais are encouraged to read the Bible, and to know it thoroughly. Not many do, but there's definitely no ban on reading the Bible. I've been a Bahai for 40-odd years now, and never encountered anything like that. There's a discussion list on Bahai Biblical Studies (bbst@yahoo.com), and Bahai Publishers produce books on the Bible. One recent one is Daniel Grolin's "Jesus and Early Christianity in the Gospels." ( join this up:
      ht tp:/ /ww w.grbooks.com/show_auth.php?author_id=38 )

As a Bahai, I took knowing the Bible seriously and did two years of Bible studies at a Protestant theological hall and Catholic seminary (they worked together, for things like Greek and Hebrew, it doesn't make much difference what church you belong to). I never had any negative feedback from the Bahais for studying the Bible, although some Bahais thought I should not study theology.

~~ Sen McGlinn

Comment

Originally posted by Sen McGlinn View Post
        I think you might have Bahai mixed up with something else. Bahais are encouraged to read the Bible, and to know it thoroughly. Not many do, but there's definitely no ban on reading the Bible. I've been a Bahai for 40-odd years now, and never encountered anything like that. There's a discussion list on Bahai Biblical Studies (bbst@yahoo.com), and Bahai Publishers produce books on the Bible. One recent one is Daniel Grolin's "Jesus and Early Christianity in the Gospels." ( join this up:

As a Bahai, I took knowing the Bible seriously and did two years of Bible studies at a Protestant theological hall and Catholic seminary (they worked together, for things like Greek and Hebrew, it doesn't make much difference what church you belong to). I never had any negative feedback from the Bahais for studying the Bible, although some Bahais thought I should not study theology.

~~ Sen McGlinn
        24] No Cultic material - Teachings that do not agree with Scripture are not to be promoted here. This includes, but is not limited to, Mormonism, Jehovah Witness, Scientology, Masons, Free Masons, Elks, Moose, Christian Identity, New Age, Shepherd's Chapel, Sacred Name Movements, works based faiths such as Roman Catholicism, and Seventh Day Adventist, Church of Christ teachings. Those who adhere to these beliefs are welcome to discuss Christianity in the Apologetics forum. (Galatians 1:6-8)

As a Bahai, may I ask what your purpose is for being here at Rapture REady?
        Are you wanting to know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?

Comment

Originally posted by Sen McGlinn View Post

~~ Sen McGlinn
          We are happy that you have come here, Sen McGlinn. You will find the truth in this message board.
          Discernment is not knowing the difference between right and wrong. It is knowing the difference between right and almost right. - Charles H. Spurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by CecilHarvey View Post
            They believe that Jesus and the "Prophets" such as Moses are all God. .. It's very strange.

I guess they figure that since Moses had a white beard, hair and staff with a robe he = God.
            I don't think that's quite so... I've talked with many of them, and they think that the prophets are messengers of God, not God Himself.

The Baha'is I know are very calm, nice people and they don't believe in wtchcraft or any of that nonsense, so that's good.

I dunno what to think, to be honest...

Comment

http://www.thebereans.net/prof-bahai.shtml

Bahá’i World Faith

by abuGian
              Founders:

Mizra Ali Muhammed – “the Báb” (1819-1850) Mizra Husayn Ali Nuri – “Bahá’u’lláh” (1817-1892) Abbas Effendi -- ‘Abdu’l-Bahá (1844-1921)

Place of Origin:

Shiraz, Iran (1844)

Headquarter

The Bahá’i World Centre, Mount Carmel, Haifa, Israel. This is the seat of the Universal House of Justice, the International Teaching Centre, the International Bahá’i Archives and Library, the Centre for the Study of their sacred text.[1]

Brief History:

The Period of the Báb

The year was 1844 in Shiraz, Iran, Mirza Ali Muhammed (1819-1850) in the tradition of Shaykhi Shiite[2] (a version of Shiite, one of the major sects of Islam) proclaimed himself Báb, an Arabic word for “the gate” of God or God’s manifestation on earth equal to Muhammad and started the movement called Babism. He proclaimed that the Promised One is coming and that he is the living door or “the gate” claiming that “he closed the door to the Age of Prophecy (about the coming of the kingdom of God on Earth)” and that he “opened the door to the Age of Fulfillment” in which we are now at its infancy[3] In 1848 the movement declared it’s complete secession from Islam and after their insurrection against the Shah in 1850, Ali Muhammed was executed. After an attempt to assasinate Nasiruddin Shah failed, followed the persecutions against the movement that eventually drove them out of Iran and into Constantinople and then into Adrianople, Cyprus and to Acre.

The Ministry of Bahá’u’lláh

It was 1863 in Acre that many Bábis were swayed to believe the claim of Husayn Ali Nuri (1817-1892) that he was that Promised One[4]. They called him Bahá’u’lláh the Arabic word for the “Glory of God.” Teaching that he is the manifestation of God, he claimed that Báb was his forerunner. From then on the Bábis who pledged allegiance to him came to be known as Bahá’is. In 1943 he published Kitáb-i-Iqán in English, “The Book of Certitude” he however spent most of his adult life in prison[5]. The transition for power wasn’t that easy, a violent faction between him and what supposed to be the appointed successor of the Báb, Subhe Azal ensued after Bahá’u’lláh’s proclamations, when the Ottoman government intervened, the faction of Subhe Azal, the Azalis went to Cyprus and the Bahá’is went to Palestine.[6]

The Ministry of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Husayn Ali Nuri passed away in 1892 the sons he left behind fought for succession but eventually the eldest son, Abbas Effandi (1844-1921) asume the title ‘Abdu’l-Bahá which means “Servant of Baha (Glory).”[7] And it was through ‘Abdu’l-Bahá’s leadership, the Bahá’i faith became a worldwide movement[8]. Before he died November 28,1921 he appointed the 24-year old Shoghi Effendi Rabbani (1897-1957) who were at that time still studying in Oxford as his successor.

The Period of Guardianship

Shoghi Effendi Rabbani was the eldest grandson of Husayn Ali Nuri. He was to be Vali Amrullah or “Guadian of the Cause of God” and the interpreter of the Bahá’i teachings. Before he passed away in 1957, Shoghi Effendi designated a 32-man[9] group as "chief stewards of Bahá'u'lláh's embryonic World Commonwealth."[10] This group of men were to be called the “Hands of the Cause of God.”

The Universal House of Justice

In 1963, the so-called “Hands of the Cause of God” eventually solved the problem of succession when they established the 19-member[11] “Universal House of Justice” that up to this day administers the Bahá’I Faith international. The members of the Universal House of Justice are elected democratically every 5 years at the International Bahá’i Convention.
              Governing Bodies (elected democratically):

1. Local Spiritual Assembly – coordinates the Baha’is in their area of concerns. They are responsible for organizing the following: (a) spreading the Baha’i faith, (b) a local Baha’i fund (c) holy day celebrations and 19-day feasts and acting as intermediary between each individual and the National Spiritual Assembly.[12]
              2. National Spiritual Assembly – is formed in a country with sufficient Baha’i adherrents they coordinate the Baha’i Faith concerns on the national level. This assembly acts as intermediary between the Local Spiritual Assembly and the Baha’i World Center.
              3. Regional Spiritual Assemblies – National Spiritual Assemblies of several coutries that are grouped together.
              4. Universal House of Justice -- is the supreme authority in the Bahai’ Faith they are empowered, on a global scale to legislate on any areas that are not explicitly covered in the Bahai’ Scriptures.[13]

Key writings:

1. Selections from the Writings of the Bab
              2. Writings of Bahá’u’lláh and ‘Abdu’l-Bahá:
              1. Kitáb-i-Aqdas (Most Holy Book)
              2. Kitáb-i-Iqán (Book of Certitude)
              3. Writings of Shoghi Effendi
              4. Statements and letters of the Universal House of Justice
              5. The Bible, interpreted spiritually to conform to Bahá’i theology
              6. Official Publications: The American Bahá’i, The Bahá’i Newsreel, Brilliant Star, One Country, World Order.

Beliefs:

Belief in God. Items 1-5 are the Bahá’i’s belief about God and his prophets.[14]

1. They believe that there is only one God, the Absolute Reality, is impossible for the finite man to achieve or comprehend. God is unknowable.
              2. Religions differ because they are each looking at that Reality from different viewpoints, these viewpoints are the cause of their differences.
              3. The only connection that man can have with the Absolute Reality are the prophet-founders of the world religions, through these prophet-founders, anything about the Absolute Reality can be known
              4. The prophet-founders of world religions perfectly reflect all of the names and attributes of God, called the Manifestations of God, they are, “as Gods,” or exalted beings or in exalted stations for representing the unknowable God in the world.
              5. To achieve perfection a person needs training and education, the role of the Manifestations of God is to educate mankind, they are also called divine-educators. As divine educators they have principally two roles to play: (a) to enable man to progress individually (b) to promote peace in the world.

Central Theme. Items 6-9 are about the Bahá’i’s central theme: unity.[15]

6. In the order of succession: Abraham, Krishna, Zoroaster, Moses, Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad, the Báb and Bahá’u’lláh are the Manifestations of God in the world.
              7. The central theme of the Bahá’i’s faith is oneness or unity: (a) that we are one race (b) that we should be in one global society (c) as there is only one God (d) as there should only be one Religion
              8. To achieve this level of unity, man needs to understand that his point of view is fallible, and therefore he cannot insist on his opinions much less compel the others to believe in the same way as he do. The key is toleration.
              9. While the truth is one, with man’s limited understanding, it has become relative to his circumstance, capacity, needs and understanding at the moment the truth was revealed.

Man’s Purpose in Life and Salvation. Items 10-17 are about man’s purpose in life and how he can achieve salvation.[16]

10. Man’s purpose in life is to develop the divine potential already in him that he maybe able to to show all the divine virtues and attributes in his actions. (They are likened to gems that needs to be mined. Mining is the task of the person with God guiding him for it.)
              11. Some of these virtues are as follows: (a) justice (b) love (c) trustworthiness and truthfulness (d) purity and chastity (e) service
              12. Man has two sides to his nature (dual nature): (a) the lower or animal side (b) the higher or the spiritual side (the nonmaterial rational immortal human soul). Man must constantly struggle to ensure that the higher side overcomes the lower side.
              13. Satan or the Devil is a symbol for the animal side of human nature, constantly tempting us from fulfilling our divine potential within
              14. To achieve these virtues and attributes, man must (a) recognize one of the Manifestations of God (divine educators) (b) and follow his laws and his teachings.
              15. The divine potential can be brought out by the volition of man, if only he will follow the path mapped out by Bahá'u'lláh
              16. He must also aim to cleanse his heart by sacrificing earthly attachments.
              17. Once the divine attributes from within the person is said to have been transformed into a new entity, into a station of true poverty and absolute nothingness where his individuality completely disappears permitting the divine nature to shine out brightly.

Life After Death. Items 18-22 are about life after death.[17]

18. They believe that the soul is eternal. But unlike the historic Christian faith, Abdu'l-Bahá taught that it cannot be said to reside in human body. Furthermore, the soul or the human spirit can’t be understood by man.
              19. So when a man dies, it doesn’t end there. The human soul simply passes on to another “plane of existence” but describing that plane of existence is difficult for it is very much different from this world.
              20. Since the next world cannot be understood it is best that man to focus on what he can achieve in this world to “acquire the divine attributes” in the next.
              21. They also believe that man can do good deads even pray for the dead so that they may progress in the next world.
              22. In short, when someone dies one’s immortality is based on good works. And heaven is a state of nearness to God whereas hell is a state of remoteness from God

Jesus Christ. Items 23-26 are about Christ’s sacrificial death.[18]

23. They say that the “position of Christ” WAS that of absolute perfection for he sacrificed himself to illuminate humanity, that his blood was shed to guide the world. That Christ gave his life on the cross to unify mankind
              24. They say what they believe about Christ is “exactly what is recorded in the New Testament” except that it is to be taken literally.
              25. While they say they believe in Jesus, that he was the great prophet of his day, they don’t believe Jesus is the only way to God.
              26. They regard Jesus as equal with all the other Manifestations of God. That there is no distinction or difference in stature among them.

The Second Coming. Items 27-32 are about the Second Coming of Christ.[19]

27. They appeal to 1 John 4:2-3 saying that the antiChrist does not believe in Jesus, they do.
              28. While they affirm the Lordship of Jesus, they say there will be another Lord appealing to Zechariah 14:9
              29. Based on Daniel 8:13, 14, and 17: they say that the second coming was to take “2300 evenings and mornings” or 2300 years, and assuming the prophecy was written in 457 BC they came up with the computation: -457 + 2300 = 1843. And by adding 1 year for 0 AD they have 1844 coincide the year Ali Muhammed claimed he was the Gate. And since to them Ali Muhammed was the forerunner Husayn Ali Nuri they believe they have proven that Baha’u’llah was the second coming of Christ.
              30. Since the Baha’i World Center is on Mount Carmel, Israel they claim that it was the fulfillment of the Isaiah 2:2-4 prophecy which says, “And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains…”
              31. They apply Isaiah 9:6 to Baha’u’llah appealing to Isaiah 62:2 which says, “And thou shalt be called by a new name....”
              32. In short, to them the Lord Jesus did not promise literally promised that he will return again instead it should be understood that another Lord was prophecied to come in the form of Bahá’u’lláh, they call as the “Spirit of Truth.”

Apostolic Teachings and the Christian Scriptures. Items 34-37 are about the Bible and Christ’s apostles.[20]

33. They take an spiritual approach in understanding the Bible, for this they appeal to 1 Corinthians 2:13-14.
              34. Contrary to the mainline Islamic belief, they affirm the divine inspiration and preservation of the Holy Scriptures
              35. They affirm the “heavenly Gospel” and the spiritual development mentioned therein but they say that “even today men… misinterpret its words of wisdom.”
              36. They also recognized the Apostles, and again contrary to the mainline Islamic belief they recognized the Apostleship of Paul calling him “a divine philosopher”

Prophets of God. Items 37- talk about the Prophets of God they called Manifestations[21]

37. They have higher regard for the Manifestations in that they are considered different from ordinary people that the Manifestation has a third nature, they call station or “the capacity to receive divine revelation and to transmit it infallibly to humanity.”
              38. They say that even though the Manifestations had a “phenomenal beginning” they say, they already existed in the spirit world prior to their physical birth.
              39. They say although ever soul can make spiritual progress, no one can become a Manifestations of God they are in the state of perfection
              40. The ultimate state of perfection is “one of absolute servitude to God.”
              41. They say that there are three levels of being, humans, Manifestations and God denying the existence of demons, angels, archangels, etc.
              42. They say these are just symbolic of “varying stages of human development,” demons (imperfection) and angels (spirituality).
              43. They distinguish inspiration and revelation. Revelation is accessible only to Manifestations because it is “infallible and direct perception of god’s creative Word” while inspiration available even to ordinary persons (philosophers, reformers, saints, mystics, etc.)
              44. An inspired individual can therefore become prophets, seers or saints as they play an important role in the affairs of men.
              45. Those with developed “powers of inspiration” has two fold distinction: “minor prophets” or “dependent prophets” and “independent prophets.” The “minor prophets” are they themselves followers they are branches and are dependent to the independent prophets. The independent prophets on the other hand are law givers.

Responding to the Challenges of Bahá’i World Faith

Since they use the scriptures to suit what their adherents itching ears (2 Timothy 4:3) would like to hear, witnessing to them starts on what is the proper way to interpret the scriptures--literal, historical, grammatical. But their method is to allegorize the scriptures to suit their assumptions therefore this is where the Christian witness must start to wrestle to tell them how correctly handle the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).

What makes this cult group specially dangerous is its subtle form of pluralism. It is like a sponge with evolving doctrines that absorbs from all the other teachings harmonizing them as if they can really be harmonized dealing away with the conflicts in their core differences by saying the ordinary man has a limited understanding and that only the Manifestations of God has infallible understanding of God's message to mankind.

The Lord Jesus himself said,

"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me." (John 14:6)

There is no way of getting around this explicit passage. This is even corroborated by Peter's message at Pentecost,

"There is salvation in none other, for neither is there any other name under heaven, that is given among men, by which we must be saved!" (Acts 4:12)

And by Paul in 1 Timothy 2:5,

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

And in Galatians 3:20,

"Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one."

Since they have done away with the reality of hell as a place for conscious punishment for the unbelievers, the significance of the believe in the Gospel is watered down this must also be addressed. (aG)

http://www.biblelineministries.org/a...=CULT+OF+BAHAI

Things to Know in Talking to Bahai's:
              1. Although Oriental in origin, Bahaism has been made one of our culture and has imitated Christianity whenever possible to attract the Western mind.
              2. Bahaism is eager not to conflict with the gospel, but willingly allow the Christian to adhere to his belief just so they acknowledge Baha'u'llah and his teachings.
              3. Bahaism tried to tone down any dogmatic Christian doctrine; there is no absolute truth.
              4. Bahaism is not original, as it has borrowed from Islam and Christianity.
              5. They use all religions to defend Baha'u'llah.
              6. The basic Christian doctrines are denied. Christ is manifestation, not the only manifestation.
              7. Know their teachings and ideals to refute it in light of scripture.
              8. Get them to agree that the Bible is the Word of God.
              http://www.culthelp.info/index.php?o...1000&Itemid=13

Baha'is believe:

1. that all religions derive from the same source, manifestations of God such as Moses, Zoroaster, Jesus, Muhammed, Krishna, Buddha. Confucius, the Bab, and Baha'u'llah - the latest manifestation, are all one and the same, sent to mankind by God for a given dispensation or historical period - each supercedes the previous one in revelation without negating his predecessors (3)(5)

2. in the oneness and unity of mankind - equality of race, sex & religion are all of one God (3)

3. that there is an eternal truth, but God is an unknowable essence; he is knowable only in so far as he is revealed in the current dispensation, and as is consistent in history (4)(47)

4. that revelation is ongoing and relative to a given dispensation - there is no complete, final word of God (5)

5. that all religions are the same in areas of essential/relevant doctrine, differences are only in areas of non-essentials. If areas of doctrine conflict, they are to be considered unimportant (6)

a. all believe in a creator - God, First Cause, etc.

b. all have a central figure - one lone man whose love has changed millions of people and whose words still live on to inspire

c. all promise that when the hearts of men have grown cold, a Great One will appear to usher in the day of Universal Brotherhood (7)

6. that a manifestation's precepts and ordinances are to be obeyed as from God; his teaching alone is sufficient for salvation; he is the only way to God for his dispensation, his work cannot fail nor can his mission not be accomplished (8)
              http://www.watchman.org/prOfile/bahaipro.htm

God: If the essence of God eternally emanates all that exists, then the material universe is co-eternal with Him and cannot logically be argued to be truly separate from God. Baha'i scholars have admitted this tends toward Monism (All is One). Baha'i scriptures affirming God's separateness from creation are no solution; they only make Baha'i Faith self-contradictory. The Bible clearly portrays God separate from His creation. Being the Changeless One, eternally existent, He can create space and time without effecting His essence (Genesis 1:1; Psalm 100:3; Isaiah 40:28; 42:5; 44:24; Colossians 1:15-17; Hebrews 1:2).

If God is utterly unknowable and incomprehensible, nothing truly can be known about Him, not even by His prophets and divine Manifestations. By contrast the God of the Bible reveals Himself (Hebrews 1:1-2), wants to be known (Isaiah 45:22-25; Hosea 11:1-11), and invites relationship (John 14:23; Rev. 3:20). He also makes false teaching about God evidence of a false prophet, deserving punishment (Deuteronomy 13:1-5).

Divine Manifestations: The infallible Center of the Covenant (Abdu'l Baha) said that Confucius was a Manifestation (Promulgation of Universal Peace, p.346). The infallible Guardian (Shoghi Effendi) states, "Confucius was not a Prophet (Manifestation)" (Lights of Guiddance, p.349). Both cannot be right. Likewise, it is logically incoherent to state infallibly (i.e., as an absolute) that truth is relative, as Baha'u'llah does. This statement is self-defeating, self-contradictory, and thus meaningless.
              All the Manifestations are declared to be sinless by the Baha'i Faith. Yet Muhammad is told in the Koran his sin will be forgiven by Allah (Sura 48:1-2). Nowhere does Baha'i theology adequately come to terms with the nature and depravity of sin, nor the necessity, under justice, of its punishment. The Baha'i Faith seeks to effect a moral transformation in man through education and recognition of the Manifestation. It seeks to make bad men good. Christianity seeks to make dead men live (John 10:10; Ephesians 2:1-6).

Shoghi Effendi writes, ".the great religions of the world are divine in origin.they differ only in non-essential aspects of their doctrines" (The Call to the Nations, p.xi). They should agree, then, regarding their founder's teachings on the most foundational doctrine of God. They do not. Either the Manifestations contradict each other (making discernment between true and false Manifestations impossible), or the nature of God is contradictory (an absurd impossibility), or, the Baha'i Faith is false.
              Jesus Christ: Baha'is believe Baha'u'llah's teaching that 'God cannot incarnate' is true "revealed word" simply because Baha'u'llah said it was. This is circular reasoning, neither verifiable nor falsifiable, and of no value.

According to the Bible, Christ is the outshining, the radiance of God's glory, His very image - not simply a reflection (Heb.1:3). He existed as God before taking on human flesh and living on earth (John 1:1-3, 14). Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6). His truth and salvation was not for his time only, but for people of all times (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 4:12; 1 Timothy 2:5; Philippians 2:6-11; Jude 3). Jesus resurrected physically (John 20:17, 20, 27; Luke 24:15, 39-43), just as He promised (John 2:19-21). The apostles proclaimed a physically risen Savior (Acts 2:24-32; 4:10; 17:31; Romans 1:4; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4). Only the most extreme "spiritualizing" of the clear intent of the text can render any other meaning.
              http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False...ahai-devil.htm

The Baha'i faith has become a popular religion in an environment of ecumenism, inclusiveness and political correctness. Embraced eagerly by the United Nations and other interfaith organizations, Baha'i is a growing humanist influence on our world. There are currently 17,148 Local Spiritual Assemblies of the Baha'i faith in the world and 4,515 in the United States alone. Members claim a presence in 235 countries and their literature is translated into 700 languages with a total world membership estimated at 5,000,000. The following introduction is meant to be a brief overview Baha'i history, and is by no means an exhaustive history of Baha'i.

The popularity of Baha'i can largely be attributed to its attempts to unify all faiths, prophets and the entire human race. It embraces the humanist philosophy that all religions should be embraced equally because they are not contradictory and are merely successively updated versions of the same basic religious beliefs. They teach that all religions are the result of the same God and the differences stem only from the age in which they were revealed. They promote gender, racial, and economic equality; universal education; harmony between science and religion; balance between nature and technology; and the development of a world Federal system. Those who believe in absolute truths, such as those found in the Bible, are dismissed as intolerant and an obstacle to world peace.

Baha'i grew out of Islam, and is in fact a stepchild of the Islamic faith, albeit a despised one. Rather than naming Muhammad as the greatest of the prophets as the Muslims do, Baha'is hold Baha'u'llah to be the greatest of the prophets.

Baha'i was started in 1844 when Mizra Ali Muhammad ("the Bab" or gate) proclaimed he was the greatest manifestation of God yet to appear. The Bab is purported to be a direct descendant of Muhammad and he claimed to be the fulfillment of the scriptures of all of the world's religions. During his brief 6 year ministry, he taught of another manifestation that would follow (similar to the role of John the Baptist). This manifestation would be even greater than he, and in 1863 Mirza Husayn Ali proclaimed that he was the Great prophet the Bab had spoken of.

Mirza Husayn Ali took the title of "Baha'u'llah" (the Glory of God) and his followers were thereafter called Baha'is. In addition to claiming most favored prophet status, Baha'u'llah also claimed to be the second coming of Christ and the spirit of truth recorded in John 14:16. He viewed himself as the fulfillment of the coming of Maitreya, the Buddha from the Buddhist scripture, the Krishna for the Hindus, and a fulfillment of "the Day of God" from the Muslim Qur'an. In fact the Baha'is believe all of the world’s religions have pointed to the coming of Baha'u'llah, and that during his era, a promised reign of peace will be established.

Thirty years after proclaiming himself to be the fulfillment of all religions, Baha'u'llah died and leadership was passed to his son Abbas Effendi (also known as Abdul-Baha and "the Master") who worked as an interpreter for his fathers many writings. He is responsible for bringing the Baha'i faith to the U.S.

Abbas Effendi was succeeded by his grandson, Shoghi Effendi became the “Guardian of the Cause,” and during his lifetime, Baha’is agreed there would perpetually be such a guardian. However, Effendi died before appointing a successor. Consequently, six years after he died, the first Baha'i Universal House of Justice was elected to serve as the Guardian. It has since been the governing body of the Baha'i faith. The Universal House of Justice is a nine-person board that applies the laws of Baha'u'llah and is made up of elected representatives. The first UHJ was comprised of Baha'i who represented Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and came from 4 continents and several ethnic backgrounds. The Baha'i temple in Wilmette, Illinois is a nine-sided building representing the world's nine living religions and is a combination of synagogue, mosque, and cathedral, symbolizing the unity of all religions.

The goal of the Baha'i faith and its leadership is for the world to become a single super-state with Baha'i as its religion. It's no wonder Baha'i is promoted vigorously by the U.N. and plays a major part in all United Nations spiritual events.

Baha'i literature proclaims the following:

"National rivalries, hatreds, and intrigues will cease, and racial animosity and prejudice will be replaced by racial amity, understanding and cooperation. The causes of religious strife will be permanently removed, economic barriers and restrictions will be completely abolished, and the inordinate distinction between classes will be obliterated. Destitution on the one hand, and gross accumulation of ownership on the other, will disappear."1

Baha'i Beliefs

Baha'i Claims to be Compatible with Christianity

The Baha'i faith incorporates many familiar Christian themes, words, and select scriptures into its beliefs, however, the Bible would have to be radically reinterpreted to fit Baha'i theology. Baha'is claim that the Bible has been misinterpreted and misunderstood by Christians for thousands of years, and therefore must be reinterpreted through Baha'i, which they believe is the true Christianity. Much like Mormonism, Islam and other religions founded by false prophets, Baha'i teaches that they have restored Christianity to its true form. Unlike Mormonism and Islam, however, they claim that Baha'u'llah was not just a prophet but the actual Messiah and a fulfillment of the prophesied Second Coming. This belief alone reveals serious flaws in their interpretation of the Bible. The prophecies of the Bible that are yet to be fulfilled before Christ returns are simply reinterpreted or ignored to support their belief that the Messiah has already returned. A look at other Baha'i beliefs further demonstrates the vast differences between the Baha'i faith and Biblical Christianity.

God is Unknowable

One goal of the Baha'i movement is to bring about an all-inclusive global faith under a federalist world government. Their views on the nature of God reflect this desire to include all beliefs, gods, and religions neatly into their belief system. In Baha'i thought, people can never really know God personally. They teach that God is so far beyond humans that no one can really know the essence of God. While Baha'i is clearly a monotheistic faith, an unknowable God means any god will fit the mold, whether it be Allah, Yahweh or Brahma. By ignoring what the Bible has to say about God, and putting him out of man's reach, they are free to worship anything and, in some cases, everything as God. By contrast, the Bible tells us that God reveals Himself to us (Hebrews 1:1-2), wants to be known (Isaiah 45:22-25; Hosea 11:1-11), and invites us into a relationship with Him (John 14:23; Revelation 3:20). He also makes false teachings about God evidence of a false prophet, and deserving of punishment (Deuteronomy 13:1-5).

Jesus Christ was a "Manifestation" of God

Baha'is view Jesus' as merely one of many manifestations or prophets of the divine. They also deny the deity of Christ and his miracles, and argue that Jesus never claimed to be God's only Son. They further deny that Jesus was God. In fact, Baha'i theology views Jesus as being inferior to Baha'u'llah, much as Islam views Jesus to be inferior to Muhammad. They argue that messianic passages such as Isaiah 9:2-7; 11:1-2; 40:1-5; and 53 are references to Baha'u'llah, and that the "Spirit of truth" that Jesus spoke of in John 14-16, was not the Holy Spirit, but was actually a reference to Baha'u'llah.

The Baha'is view Jesus death as insignificant and serving only as an example of self sacrifice. They don't believe that Christ rose from the dead, or that his death brought about salvation. They interpret the biblical account of Christ's resurrection as something that went on in the minds of the disciples, rather than a physical, literal resurrection. Abdul Baha said, "The disciples were troubled and agitated after the martyrdom of Christ...The Cause of Christ was like a lifeless body; and, when after three days the disciples became assured and steadfast...his religion found life, his teachings and his admonitions became evident and visible."1

In II Corinthians 11:4 the apostle Paul spoke of those who would believe in "another Jesus", other than the Jesus of the Bible. The Baha'i rendition of Jesus falls in this category.

Contrary to Baha'i beliefs, Jesus did refer to himself as God's "one and only Son" in John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth on him shall not perish but have eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord". The words "only begotten" in the Greek carry the idea of "unique" or "one of a kind". Jesus is the son of God and has a divine nature. The Bible further tells us that Jesus is God the creator: Col. 1:16 "For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers of authorities; all things were created by him and for him" (Also see John 1:3; Hebrews 1:2; 1:10; Revelation 3:14). It is unavoidable and indisputable that when the disciples of Christ declared Jesus to be the one through whom all things were created, they were attributing deity to him (Isaiah 44:24).

Contrary to Baha'i claims, Jesus was an incarnation of God, not a manifestation (Isa. 7:14; John 1:1, 14, 18; Heb. 10:1-10; Phil. 2:5-11). The Bible says that to deny either the undiminished deity or the perfect humanity of Christ in the incarnation is to put oneself outside the pale of orthodoxy.

I John 4:2-3 "This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world."

Paul further affirms that Christ is the fullness of the Deity in bodily form in Colossians 2:9.

The Bible makes it clear that Jesus is God the creator, the Immanuel, and God with us.

"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel which means, 'God with us'". Matthew 1:23

Baha'u'llah in Biblical Prophecy

Baha'is claim that the Bible speaks of Baha'u'llah, however, the only reference to Baha'u'llah in the Bible is an indirect one when Jesus and the apostles warned of the coming of false prophets and false Christs (Matt. 7:15-16; 2 Cor. 11:13-15). The messianic verses from the Bible cited by Baha'is as referring to Baha'u'llah, can not truly support their claim because, among other things, Baha'u'llah was of Iranian descent, where the Messiah was to be Jewish (Matthew 1; Genesis 12:1-3; II Samuel 7:12-13). Also, the New Testament repeatedly cites the fulfillment of Isaiah's prophecies in the person of Jesus Christ (Matthew 1:1; 3:14; 8:17; Luke 1:31; Revelation 5:5).

The second coming of Christ also can not refer to Baha'u'llah. Scripture indicates that the very same Jesus who ascended into heaven will one day personally return (Acts 1:9-11). The Bible also prophesies several dramatic and highly visible signs that will accompany the Second Coming (Matthew 24:29). None of these signs were present when Baha'u'llah arrived on the scene. He also didn't show up in the right place. Scripture clearly indicates that at the Second Coming the Messiah will come to Jerusalem and his feet will physically touch the Mount of Olives (Zech. 14:4). Baha'u'llah never did this.

The Spirit of truth in John 16:12-13 also can't be referring to Baha'u'llah. John 14-16 clearly identifies the Spirit of Truth as being the Holy Spirit (John 14:16-17, 26). Jesus said that His promise of the Holy Spirit would be fulfilled "in a few days" (Acts 1:5), not in the 1800s when Baha'u'llah was born. That fulfillment came on the Day of Pentecost in Acts 2. The function of the Holy Spirit is to make known Jesus' teachings, not to replace them with the interpretations of another prophet. Jesus also said that the Holy Spirit would be with us forever (John 14:16). Baha'u'llah died in 1892 at the age of 75, far short of forever.

Ephesians 1:18-21 "I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come."

Jesus is the Messiah and our salvation now and forevermore.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
              Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
              Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Comment

Thanks, Buzzardhut, for posting that. Definitly worth the read. This false religion just came out of nowhere. I never heard of it before last week.

Comment

Working...
                X