X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pope says Mother Teresa felt "God's silence"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070901/...pope_teresa_dc

Sat Sep 1, 2:38 PM ET

LORETO, Italy (Reuters) - Pope Benedict said on Saturday that even the late Mother Teresa of Calcutta "suffered from the silence of God" despite her immense charity and faith.

The Pope, addressing a youth rally in central Italy, referred to a new book that reveals that the Roman Catholic nun was deeply tormented about her faith and suffered periods of doubt about God.

It is significant that the Pope mentioned Mother Teresa's torment about God's silence as not being unusual because there was some speculation that the letters could hurt the procedure to make her a saint.

"All believers know about the silence of God," he said in unprepared remarks. "Even Mother Teresa, with all her charity and force of faith, suffered from the silence of God," he said.

He said believers sometimes had to withstand the silence of God in order to understand the situation of people who do not believe.

Due out on September 4, the book, "Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light" is a collection of letters written to colleagues and superiors over 66 years.

The ethnic Albanian nun, who dedicated her life to poor, sick and dying in India, died in 1997 aged 87.

Mother Teresa had wanted all her letters destroyed, but the Vatican ordered they be preserved as potential relics of a saint, according to a spokeswoman for Doubleday, the U.S. publisher of the book.

Mother Teresa has been beatified but has not yet been made a saint.

Time magazine, which has first serial rights, published excerpts on its Web site last month.

When the German-born pontiff visited the former Nazi concentration camp at Auschwitz last year, he publicly asked why God was silent when 1.5 million victims, mostly Jews, died there.

Oh, The Catholic Faith

Sounds to me like Pope Benedict is using Mother Teresa to Justify, not only her sainthood, buthis own periods where he experienced: "THE SILENCE OF GOD!"

MMMMMMMMM!
    SURE MAKES YOU THINK. . . .AND QUESTION OF COURSE.

It will be interesting to see how others respond to this. . . . .

Comment

Yeah that part got me too. I guess we all can go through some kind of darkness from God the Father.

Sorry to say I'm going throught a time of darkness from God. I pray the Holy Sprit gives me hope and joy again. Life has delt my family and myself a horrible blow. I do believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins and that I'm saved because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by 4JesusLove View Post
        Yeah that part got me too. I guess we all can go through some kind of darkness from God the Father.

Sorry to say I'm going throught a time of darkness from God. I pray the Holy Sprit gives me hope and joy again. Life has delt my family and myself a horrible blow. I do believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins and that I'm saved because of that.
        4JesusLove:
        Oh no, my friend! Never think that a time of darkness comes from God. Our darkness is a spiritual one brought on by the sins of this world, and as long as we are in it, we are affected by it. Some times more so, than at other times.
        Please pray that He gives you the peace that transends this world. For we are in this world, BUT NOT OF IT!

Read Paul's instruction of how we should wear the full armor of God. For we are in a battle, My friend. It's a battle that will affect all eternity. I pray for your renewed stength. That God will lift you above the blows that have been dealt to you and your family. I know that you can't find the reason these things have happened to you. Don't search for a reason, just reach FOR HIM! He will sustain you, revive you, and if you are head of your household, He will give you the strength to Lead and encourage those you love sooo much in your family. Lean on HIM and He will pick you up and carry you. BELIEVE, MY FRIEND!!!

***AND REMEMBER THAT THIS DARKNESS IS NOT FROM HIM! If you reach for him with all your heart, HE WILL ALWAYS BE THERE!

For some reason, I truely feel drawn to you. I will unceasingly pray for you and your family. PLEASE Keep me posted on how all of you are doing! Your are also my family! We are all members of the GREATEST FAMILY OF ALL TIME!
        I will be praying for you!
        Lisa Jo

Comment

Originally posted by LisaJo View Post
          4JesusLove:
          Oh no, my friend! Never think that a time of darkness comes from God. Our darkness is a spiritual one brought on by the sins of this world, and as long as we are in it, we are affected by it. Some times more so, than at other times.
          Please pray that He gives you the peace that transends this world. For we are in this world, BUT NOT OF IT!

Read Paul's instruction of how we should wear the full armor of God. For we are in a battle, My friend. It's a battle that will affect all eternity. I pray for your renewed stength. That God will lift you above the blows that have been dealt to you and your family. I know that you can't find the reason these things have happened to you. Don't search for a reason, just reach FOR HIM! He will sustain you, revive you, and if you are head of your household, He will give you the strength to Lead and encourage those you love sooo much in your family. Lean on HIM and He will pick you up and carry you. BELIEVE, MY FRIEND!!!

***AND REMEMBER THAT THIS DARKNESS IS NOT FROM HIM! If you reach for him with all your heart, HE WILL ALWAYS BE THERE!

For some reason, I truely feel drawn to you. I will unceasingly pray for you and your family. PLEASE Keep me posted on how all of you are doing! Your are also my family! We are all members of the GREATEST FAMILY OF ALL TIME!
          Lisa Jo

LisaJo, 4JesusLove is not alone, regarding her family. For that's something we both share, regarding our individual families. Please keep me in your ers as well too. Thank you.

SisterNChrist

Comment

Originally posted by SisterNChrist View Post
            LisaJo, 4JesusLove is not alone, regarding her family. For that's something we both share, regarding our individual families. Please keep me in your ers as well too. Thank you.

SisterNChrist
            You Bet! I and my family have gone through much in the last 10 years. Some of our sorrows and trials have ran very deep. What I hate most, is these things will make you question your own self-worth and then your faith with Our Lord. You can start to feel abandoned because you don't understand why God would would allow such horrible things to happen.

Unfortunately, Satan uses the method of (divide and conquer) so it can sometimes make you question the hearts of other family members or cause you to blame them. Try to stick together because there is strength in numbers and this applies to all of us believers. A house divided against itself cannot stand.

You have my prayers. I will be praying daily for you and your family and continue to do so in the days ahead. Keep me posted SisterNChrist about your situation. You know, this world is an ugly place. Think of it as bootcamp! This is temporary! Bootcamp doesn't last forever!!!Thank God for that!. . and keep me updated as well!

Look forward to hearing from you soon,
            Lisa JO

Comment

It was because of a divorce that my problems started. My house is divided right now. All I have to fall back on is Jesus which is a good thing. Even though I'm hearing nothing doesn't stop me from seeking Him every moment. He will come through for me and my family but I still need prayers. Thank you for being so concerned.

P.S. I'm a him.

Comment

He that is of God heareth God's words(note, those who have repented and asked Jesus to be their Lord and Savior): ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God John 8:47

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. John 8:12

I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. John 12:46

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:6

For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light Eph. 5:8

Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer Roms. 12:12

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints Eph. 6:18

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. Phil. 6:6

Comment

Maybe she really Did..

Comment

Originally posted by LisaJo View Post
                    4JesusLove:

Lisa Jo
                    If by darkness you mean hard times, they may be from God. God allows us to be tried so that we may be purified even if it's not due to sin. God often uses satan as a pawn to accomplish this in a Christian's life, as we see in Job. There is also a spiritual longing, where God is silent, which can be from God, so that we will seek Him and He can train us. But this "darkness" should never make us think we're not saved, or God is not with us, loving us. If that's the case, it is not from God.

I guess I'm just trying to be sure we don't float over to the WOF camp, where if anything bad happens to us it must be because we are still sinning and aren't as perfect as the preacher, or because you don't have enough faith in your faith to have faith about faith in faith, or you haven't sewed enough seed to their ministry so God can't bless you because you're holding Him back, or because you are speaking negatively, or you need to have a talk with satan to cast him out.....

What we perceive as bad things happening to us, may be God making something great happen to us and we just can't understand yet.

Comment

Originally posted by goinghome View Post
                      If by darkness you mean hard times, they may be from God. God allows us to be tried so that we may be purified even if it's not due to sin. God often uses satan as a pawn to accomplish this in a Christian's life, as we see in Job. There is also a spiritual longing, where God is silent, which can be from God, so that we will seek Him and He can train us. But this "darkness" should never make us think we're not saved, or God is not with us, loving us. If that's the case, it is not from God.

I guess I'm just trying to be sure we don't float over to the WOF camp, where if anything bad happens to us it must be because we are still sinning and aren't as perfect as the preacher, or because you don't have enough faith in your faith to have faith about faith in faith, or you haven't sewed enough seed to their ministry so God can't bless you because you're holding Him back, or because you are speaking negatively, or you need to have a talk with satan to cast him out.....

What we perceive as bad things happening to us, may be God making something great happen to us and we just can't understand yet.
                      I totally agree with you, that was not what I was implying. I just meant, that whenever we truely reach For Our Lord, He will Always be there! It is through our Trials that HE ALLOWS, that we Grow and learn and our faith is strengthened. In fact, I believe that alot of times, He is trying to get our attention so we WILL SEEK HIM. Nothing happens outside of His Will!
                      My point, was that if we Seek him with all our heart, He is always there.
                      He's our steady in this world; our strength and our hope. We should lean on His understanding and not our own. We will screw it up every time if we get in His way.

Comment

For those who might be interested, Fr. Benedict Groschel, himself a psychologist as well as a priest who knew Mother Teresa for several decades, wrote a brief response to all of the recent media fol-de-rol about her. It is quite a nice, very brief, read. A quick quote:

What many current articles do not mention is that toward the end of her life the darkness lifted. Fr. Brian records the sisters’ observation when Mother Teresa returned to Calcutta shortly before her death: “After her return from Rome [and New York] . . . Mother had been extremely happy, joyful, optimistic, and talkative. Her face was always radiant, full of fun. The Lord must have revealed to her the impending end of her life.”

Our readers may find it interesting to know that I personally observed this joyfulness the day before Mother returned to Calcutta. I was asked by her sisters to offer Mass for her. She was so weak that she could not stand, but attended Mass lying on a cot. My confrere Fr. Andrew Apostoli and I were utterly astonished after Mass when she was “bubbly.” She laughed and told us with great joy the number of sisters and convents they had throughout the world. Mother never spoke about this before, and she was not doing so in any boastful way. Rather, she was rejoicing “with triumphant exultation” at the great blessings God had been able to grant through the Missionaries of Charity. Many memorable events took place during the thirty years I knew Mother Teresa, but this by far was the most remarkable.
                        http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/?p=848

Sam

Comment

Dear Samseeks: Thank you.

As all this has whirled about on rr I ahppened to see a re-run of Teresa's funeral and a commentary with her and a few of those who knew her.

We all know how much good she did in her life, but as it has been said, good works do not get you into Heaven. Faith does. Her faith had its valleys and peaks,after all she was human and not a female Christ which is what the world wanted of her.

But what struck me was this funeral! An amazing event that is not something that she did- it was not a "work". And now here was this non-christian nation, giving this woman a military state funeral. And on all the vehicles were Cross after Cross in flowers. Every step of the way, the Cross. All who watched, could not ignore that all this was because this one little woman believed in Jesus Christ.

Imagine such an event ever happening again. Would a nation, today, in that part of the world,
                          risk giving a state funeral with such a forthright acknowledgement of Jesus Christ? Is there anyone alive today who would inspire an event?

Are you ready?
                          I AM
                          coming again,
                          Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by 4JesusLove View Post

Darkness and silence are not the same thing. We have the Light of the World, Jesus Christ, to illuminate our way.

We must remember that sometimes God is silent in order to get our attention or to prepare us for a certain task. He uses the trials of this life to conform us into the image of Chirst.

Before our Lord, Christ began His earthly ministry, He went into the wilderness. There, He was tested - not because the Father was disappointed with Him (No, by no means) - but because God the Father was preparing the man, Jesus, for the challenging road ahead.

While Christ was man and God at once and had knowledge and ability beyond what we posses, we have Christ. So, we can lean on the One who has "been there and done that". Whatever pain we feel, He has experienced too.

Our personal time "in the spiritual wilderness" should not be looked upon as something to fear. As difficult as it may be to sometimes hold on to hope, we must remember that Christ is our Hope, and He has promised to never leave our side - no matter how weary we may become. He is always faithful even we are not.

So, you see, you already have the Hope that you seek. Stand on His Promise manifested in Jesus Christ our Lord, and let God handle the consequences of life. Truth is Truth no matter how we feel, and the Truth is we are never alone. Not only has the Lord given us Himself, but He has given us the Body for times such as these. As brothers and sisters in Christ, we are here to share one another's burdens . . . for it is the example and calling of our Lord.

I will join you in prayer and lift you and your family up to the Lord Most High.

Grace and Peace to you.

Romans 8
                            18 Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to us later. 19 For all creation is waiting eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who his children really are. 20 Against its will, all creation was subjected to God’s curse. But with eager hope, 21 the creation looks forward to the day when it will join God’s children in glorious freedom from death and decay. 22 For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 And we believers also groan, even though we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, for we long for our bodies to be released from sin and suffering. We, too, wait with eager hope for the day when God will give us our full rights as his adopted children, including the new bodies he has promised us. 24 We were given this hope when we were saved. (If we already have something, we don’t need to hope for it. 25 But if we look forward to something we don’t yet have, we must wait patiently and confidently.)

26 And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. 27 And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will. 28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. 29 For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And having chosen them, he called them to come to him. And having called them, he gave them right standing with himself. And having given them right standing, he gave them his glory.

31 What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us? 32 Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else? 33 Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? No one—for God himself has given us right standing with himself. 34 Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us.
                            35 Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? 36 (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.”) 37 No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
                            Last edited by Abba'sLil'Girl; September 11th, 2007, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Sorry about the word darkness, I ment I am just not hearing anything in return. I know God still loves me and doesn't want my kids or myself hurt. I know He doesn't want anyone hurting. Thank you all for thinking about my family and myself in my time of sarrow. May the Lord Jesus bless you all as I'm sure He will.

Comment

Working...
                              X