Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to their site and here is their mission statement. It looks pretty harmless but as we well know even a harmless organization can be perverted at the local level.

Our Mission

To inculcate the principles of Charity, Justice, Brotherly Love and Fidelity; to recognize a belief in God; to promote the welfare and enhance the happiness of its Members; to quicken the spirit of American patriotism; to cultivate good fellowship; to perpetuate itself as a fraternal organization, and to provide for its government, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the United States of America will serve the people and communities through benevolent programs, demonstrating that Elks Care and Elks Share.

Comment

Originally posted by Traveling Through View Post
      "I believe that no Christian should belong to ANY secret, fraternal organization. "

What do you think is secret about it? As far as teaching anything, I am not aware of any classes or religious seminars being conducted by the Elks. It also isn't a religious organization. Elks must confirm they believe in God. Is there something wrong with members believing in God?
      Who is the god the Elks require you to believe in? If a Muslim joins, is his god the same god all Elks acknowledge? The Freemasons require the same thing to join, but the spirit whom the Freemasons honor as "god" is not the God of the Bible. Christians are not brothers to Muslims, Hindus and pagans - our God is not their god, too.

The Elks have an altar which they lay the Bible, just as the Freemasons do - from what I've been reading, they, too, have rituals and handshakes - yeah, what is so secret about it?

Comment

We have one in town and basicly it is a bar where they do community work so non-drinkers will not throw a fit. I have only entered their place for inspections but never found anything that would cause me to question if they are voo doo do'er
        I know a few guys that are members and the dressing up in robes, wearing funny hats or standing on one leg while speaking a private message is by far not their cup of tea. So locally they are just a private drinking club.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
          We have one in town and basicly it is a bar where they do community work so non-drinkers will not throw a fit. I have only entered their place for inspections but never found anything that would cause me to question if they are voo doo do'er
          That's what I thought, too...just a drinking club. But now, a drinking club that requires you to believe in "God". If so, Christians should steer clear of them.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine2777 View Post
            I"m asking because I know about the masons but what about the Elks Lodge? Does anyone know? We saw the "secret meeting room" and it gave me the creeps. Maybe its nothing.. I would prefer to find that out but something tells me, 4 permanent throne like chairs facing each other in a square with a "table" at the center and a few other things I wont mention.. my discernment meter went off but I could be very wrong.

Anyone know about them???
            The Elks Lodge would be nothing without the Moose Club

The Elks came about because the New York State Legislature passed a law closing saloons on Sundays back in 1866. Hard drinking actors and writers were understandably upset.

A group of thespians took it upon themselves to set up a social club that would allow its members to drink booze on Sundays. AND SO THIS GROUP OF ACTORS RENTED OUT A ROOM ON FOURTH STREET (AND LATER BROADWAY) WHERE THEY FELT FREE TO LIVE-IT-UP.

The society that sprang up around this was initially called The Jolly Corks, and a cork was used to initiate new members into the group. A Jolly Cork had to carry a cork at all times on his person or else he would be forced to pay for a round of drinks.

The idea of getting drunk on a Sunday soon caught on, and the Jolly Corks started to initiate members from outside the theatrical and literary professions. The loyal Corks realized that with this sudden influx of new people, they would need to find a more dignified and respectable sounding name.

As the debate over what to call themselves was raging, a group of Corks went to see some animal heads put on display by P.T. Barnum. They rushed back to the Corks Lodge and informed their boozing buddies "Hey guys! We've got it! People will look up to us if we call ourselves THE ELKS!"

An official ELKS pamphlet explains the significance of the name. "The animal from which the Order took its name was chosen because of a number of its attributes were deemed typical of those to be cultivated by members of the fraternity. The elk is a distinctly American animal. It habitually lives in herds. The largest of our native quadrupeds, it is yet fleet of foot and graceful in movement. It is quick and keen of perception; and while it is usually gentle and even timorous, it is strong and valiant in defense of its own." -from page 7 of WHAT IT MEANS TO BE AN ELK

Actually, the largest native quadruped would be a moose or buffalo, but The Moose have a separate fraternity of their own.

As for the herd mentality, one of the major distinctions of the Elks is their blind patriotism and unconditional love of the United States. Every meeting in an Elks lodge devotes time to honoring the flag, and Flag Day is an important Elks event. At the same time, it is forbidden to discuss politics at Elks meetings. To create an atmosphere of brotherhood among beer guzzling quadrupeds, religion and politics are officially kept out. Remember, good civic virtue means we can all agree to prostrate ourselves before armed serviceman and the flag!

As late as the 1960's (and much later than that in actual practice) the Elks were officially open only to "Adult members of the Caucasian or White race." This racism is quite common among fraternal organizations, most of which refused to admit Africans throughout their history (see FREEMASONS, below) The Elks were particularly zealous about maintaining their racial "purity." Because of their nationalistic orientation, only US. citizens are allowed to become Elks. In 1898 a man named Alfred E. Riggs organized the first lodge of Negro Elks. The Negro Elks grew to include some 300,000 members, but were never recognized as legitimate by other Elks.

The Elks initiation ceremony is simple, and there is only one degree. Certain aspects of Elk-dom borrow heavily from Masonic tradition, such as the designated "Tyler" who guards the lodge, and the :Lodge of Sorrow" held for a deceased Elk.
            Elk jewelry
            http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masoni...alism/elks.htm

Elk initiation
            The rituals continue with a review of the cardinal tenets of the Order: Brotherly Love, Justice,
            Charity, and Fidelity. A legend about the gods on Olympus is used to teach that Charity is the
            greatest of all virtues. As a symbol of the patriotism fostered by the Order, a Flag is presented
            to the candidate. The recitation of the poem Thanatopsis at the conclusion of the initiation is
            optional.
            Evaluation from a Lutheran Theological Perspective
            The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod recognizes with appreciation the significant contributions
            made by the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks to the common good in our society and nation.
            Through its institutions and programs the Elks’ Lodge has had a commendable history of providing
            support and encouragement not only for the members of the fraternity and their families, but also for
            the citizens of our nation in times of crisis and need

We appreciate the Lodge’s desire to avoid introducing anything into the Order that is “of a political or
            sectarian character,” and its efforts to assure its members that there would be nothing in their
            membership obligations that would conflict with an individual’s religious convictions. Unfortunately,
            however, the many overtly religious elements that permeate the official rites and rituals of the Lodge
            reveal a religious perspective that in our judgment conflicts with the biblical teaching on key spiritual
            truths, and that, in fact, is contrary to the scriptural Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The ceremonies reviewed above speak, and without discrimination, of the entry of all Elks upon death
            into an eternal fellowship in the presence of God. The ceremonies suggest that an unspecified “belief in
            God” and adherence to the principles of the Order (Charity, Justice, Brotherly Love and Fidelity) are
            instrumental for the attainment of eternal peace in heaven and reunion with other Elks. However, the
            heart of the biblical Gospel is that eternal life is given by God only to those who confess and believe in
            Jesus Christ, the Son of God and the only Savior of the world (Rom. 10:9-10; Acts 4:12). As St. Paul
            states with unparalleled clarity, “For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the
            glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
            whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith…for we hold that one is
            justified by faith apart from the works of the law” (Rom.3:22-25, 28). As Jesus Himself said, “I am the
            way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (emphasis added; John
            14:6). Good works indeed are necessary in the Christian’s life, but as the fruit of a living faith in
            Christ—and not as a contributing factor in a person’s salvation (Gal. 2:16; 5:22-23).

The Elks’ ritual speaks of God’s “redeeming grace,” but nowhere is the revelation of God’s redeeming
            grace in Jesus Christ even mentioned. One can understand why the Lodge’s rituals would omit any
            reference to Jesus Christ, lest in its view “sectarian” views be introduced and its universalist or
            religiously all-inclusive perspective be compromised. But to introduce the hope of eternal life, either
            implicitly or explicitly, without mention of the Savior is itself sectarian—and in a way that is patently
            offensive to confessing Christians. Moreover, from a Lutheran perspective, for the Bible to occupy
            such a central emblematic role in the Lodge’s rituals and in a religious context, without even the
            slightest acknowledgement of its central purpose (2 Tim. 3:15; Rom. 15:4ff.), indeed turns the Holy
            Scriptures into a “book of Law” and thus a book without hope.

In offering this perspective we are mindful of our Lord’s admonition, “So everyone who acknowledges
            me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me
            before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven” (Matt. 10:32-33). It is out of a sincere
            pastoral concern for the spiritual well-being of those for whom Christ died that we present the above
            evaluation. Public commitment, in the words of a solemn oath, to tenets that compromise a Christian’s
            witness to the truth of the Gospel is always a matter of serious spiritual import and cannot, in our view,
            be taken lightly

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
            Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
            Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzardhut View Post
              I see your Moose Club and raise you one Caribou club.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzardhut View Post
                Some info on both.

Comment

What about the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes Lodge No. 26? This is the lodge Fred and Barney belonged to. I knew there was something shady about that Barney Rubble!

I don't think Christians should belong to secret organizations either.

Comment

As a child, the BPOE Elks sponsored our little league team, our BSA troop, and numerous activities. Like any community orginazition, it is only as good as the people involved.

Often clubs sponsor bars, trips (Vegas, AC) and sports related gambling. If you dig deep enough, you may find roots in the prohibition era (speakeasies).

Often you find people who just want to get awayfrom it all for a little while. Sometimes they offer venues for first aid/CPR training, community services, and promote patriotism. From my memory there were Masons in the Elks, but Elks were not Masons.

Again any club is only as good as the members. If you find the club/its activities objectionable, steer clear.

The neon Pabst Blue Ribbon sign works for me - (Closed venue)
                    It's ALL about Jesus. The Son of God - Emanuel - The Mighty God - Our Salvation.

John 1:1-3 NKJV --- Luke 22:42 NKJV --Romans 3:23 NKJV, Rom 5:8 NKJV, Rom 8:28 NKJV, Rom 8:31 NKJV, Rom8:38-39 NKJV, ---Titus 1:2 NKJV - Heb 6:18 NKJV --- John 14:6 NKJV --- 1 John 5:13 NKJV --- Acts 16:29-31 NKJV ... John 6:28-29 NKJV... 1John 2:22 NKJV... Heb 10:11-13 NKJV

“Oh Look,... an Atheist........I Don't believe it....”
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TomSki View Post
                      Who is the god the Elks require you to believe in? If a Muslim joins, is his god the same god all Elks acknowledge? The Freemasons require the same thing to join, but the spirit whom the Freemasons honor as "god" is not the God of the Bible. Christians are not brothers to Muslims, Hindus and pagans - our God is not their god, too.

The Elks have an altar which they lay the Bible, just as the Freemasons do - from what I've been reading, they, too, have rituals and handshakes - yeah, what is so secret about it?
                      There is no altar in the club where I go. Would you like to stop .....
                      Last edited by Buzzardhut; May 18th, 2009, 10:35 AM. Reason: no Elk promotions

Comment

Secret societies are all cut from the same die
                        seen one, seen em all
                        not for born again believers

Originally posted by sunshine2777 View Post
                        I"m asking because I know about the masons but what about the Elks Lodge? Does anyone know? We saw the "secret meeting room" and it gave me the creeps. Maybe its nothing.. I would prefer to find that out but something tells me, 4 permanent throne like chairs facing each other in a square with a "table" at the center and a few other things I wont mention.. my discernment meter went off but I could be very wrong.

Anyone know about them???
                        Even the Lutherans are wary about them.
                        That should tell you enough

[24]No Cultic material - Teachings that do not agree with Scripture are not to be promoted here. This includes, but is not limited to, Mormonism, Jehovah Witness, Scientology, Masons, Free Masons, Elks, Moose, Christian Identity, New Age, Shepherd's Chapel, Sacred Name Movements, works based faiths such as Roman Catholicism, and Seventh Day Adventist teachings. Those who adhere to these beliefs are welcome to discuss Christianity in the Apologetics forum. (Galatians 1:6-8)

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
                        Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
                        Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Comment

Working...
                        X