Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christian music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Christian music

    I've come across some information that has caused some concern with regards to some Christian music. It seems that everywhere you turn one is running into the Church falling into either New Age or Emergent tendencies. It's all over the place and I am quite aware of it and saddened by it.

    From Hillsong music to so many others... where does one turn to if we can't listen to Christian music anymore? I do not want to listen to any Church, group or band that is falling from the truth of God's Word, as I believe we are commanded in God's Word not to.

    So, the other day I decided to check in at Lighthousetrailsresearch with regards to Bill Gaither, and his group/Church and lo and behold my heart sank as I read. I love listening to their worship music.

    And, it isn't only them, there are others who are affiliated with the Gaither's, such as Jeff and Sherri Easter, Gordon Mote, Jason Crabb.

    Here is a link to the warning on Lighthousetrailsresearch...
    http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch....og/?m=20090307

    I am aware of some other bands such as Hillsong and that Church and will not support their music as I believe they are drawing people with their music and their teaching is not Biblical.
    Now if I listen to these others I listed and they too are also going astray then I wouldn't be obedient to God's Word!

    Here is another article... I am not sure if it is o.k. to post it, but, mod's feel free to remove if needed, although I feel the article is of value for us here...

    https://www.wayoflife.org/database/b...obedience.html


    It would be nice to get some feedback from my Christian friends here... The times that we are living seem to be worsening and it seems it is getting harder and harder to even fellowship with other believers as so many are falling into all kinds of heresy and false doctrine.

  • #2
    I have really enjoyed the Gaither Gospel Hour on our local PBS station, and am saddened to hear they are associating with apostates like the author of "The Shack." The Bible is very clear that we are to watch out for teachers of false doctrine, and not associate with them.

    I think we are living in extraordinary times, right before the Lord's return! We have to be discerning in everything, including doctrine taught through music. There is a very large church in our town that has taken a turn toward Calvinism. They write a lot of their own music. A friend visited there recently, and said they were singing a song clearly based on John 3:16, but they sang "For God so loved his people that he gave..." instead of "For God so loved the world..." Calvinists don't believe that God loves the world, or that Jesus died for everyone, so... just twist the Scripture to fit your systematic theology! Unbelievable!

    We have to always be alert, and test, test, test! It's a sign of the times!

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm a musician and worship leader, so I feel qualified to answer here.

      Judge the songs on their lyrical content and how the Lord uses that to bless you/allow you to worship Him.

      Here's why: People are fallible.

      I used to listen to Ray Boltz as a kid. My mom had a cassette of his and he had some wonderful songs. Drew you closer to Jesus and painted wonderful pictures of what heaven might be like. Fast forward to today and Boltz is now an openly gay man.

      Did his sin change the music? No, not really. It's still poignant, even if the human behind it eventually fell into sin. But we all sin, right? Should I throw away my couch because the furniture builder cheated on his wife? Or sell my home because the contractor is a glutton?

      Let's flip it around.

      Who enjoys Christmas music? I love proclaiming Jesus' birth. And a favorite of many is "O Holy Night." Classic. Timeless. The latter verses refer to the "chains shall He break for for the slave is our brother." They mention his law is love and his gospel is peace. It's exquisite.

      It was also written by an avowed atheist and likely-socialist, Placcide Cappeau.

      Guess we'd better throw out those Josh Groban Christmas CDs, huh?

      The point I'm making here is try not to read too deeply into things. Judge the message and intent of the song, but don't get so caught up in whether the artist is living a perfect life (they aren't). If Hillsong's content bothers you, find other songs that glorify the Lord. After all, when you worship, it's out the of abundance of your heart that the Lord finds pleasure. Not because you've only hand-selected songs from sinless artists for your mixtape.

      Listen. Discern. Praise. If the song doesn't seem appropriate, move on.

      Comment


      • #4
        Oh pianoknight I so agree with you. You said what I was trying to put in a post and you said what I was trying to put together. Thanks for posting. My thoughts seem to get all jumbled if I try to make a big post.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Thank you PianoKnight! I was doubting myself since I do exactly what you say, and some Christian songs I totally switch the station because something just doesn't sit right with me. And at least one is a paraphrase of scripture that is not totally correct. But others I love. One of my recent favorites is "The Cure" by Unspoken. But this is funny, I sometimes have trouble hearing the words, and before I looked this song up on UTube, I thought they were saying "You are the Joy", when really the chorus says "You are the Cure" (about Jesus). I really wanted a song to be about Christian Joy I guess!

          [By the way, speaking of Unspoken, they have another song I love that the radio stations don't play. I think it might be about the rapture, at least that is how I think of it. "Open the Clouds" is the name of it.]
          "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
          always abounding in the work of the Lord;
          knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

          1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Firefly View Post
            Thank you PianoKnight! I was doubting myself since I do exactly what you say, and some Christian songs I totally switch the station because something just doesn't sit right with me. And at least one is a paraphrase of scripture that is not totally correct. But others I love. One of my recent favorites is "The Cure" by Unspoken. But this is funny, I sometimes have trouble hearing the words, and before I looked this song up on UTube, I thought they were saying "You are the Joy", when really the chorus says "You are the Cure" (about Jesus). I really wanted a song to be about Christian Joy I guess!

            [By the way, speaking of Unspoken, they have another song I love that the radio stations don't play. I think it might be about the rapture, at least that is how I think of it. "Open the Clouds" is the name of it.]
            The Cure , what a great song!
            John 10:27-30 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.

            Comment


            • #7
              That link sounds a bit off especially criticizing loud music and rock sounds. A little too much legalism oozing in that piece but some valid and informative points too.
              And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 1 Timothy 6:8

              Comment


              • #8
                pianoknight.....you are spot on. I guess some think we should be living in a perfect world now. They run from everything. I'm surprised that they even come to RR to fellowship since we are all sinners saved by grace. Some on this site must live or attempt to live in a bubble. Not sure how they can even eat the food on their table as it is most likely grown, packed, prepared, etc. by a non-believer. My son is also a musician and a christian musician. Leads worship at his church. He also sings secular music during the week to make ends meet....even blues music shockingly. But nothing that would tarnish his relationship with the Lord. The spirit of fear that reeks on some here at RR is just as bad as the music they refuse to listen to. If it's o.k. with others, I will continue to listen to "Because He Lives" and hopefully I won't be condemned to hell for doing so.
                Romans 3:10-12
                10 As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.”

                Comment


                • #9
                  Every week in Sunday School class we take out the hymnal and sing one of the hymns...I love it...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rks7777 View Post
                    pianoknight.....you are spot on. I guess some think we should be living in a perfect world now. They run from everything. I'm surprised that they even come to RR to fellowship since we are all sinners saved by grace. Some on this site must live or attempt to live in a bubble. Not sure how they can even eat the food on their table as it is most likely grown, packed, prepared, etc. by a non-believer. My son is also a musician and a christian musician. Leads worship at his church. He also sings secular music during the week to make ends meet....even blues music shockingly. But nothing that would tarnish his relationship with the Lord. The spirit of fear that reeks on some here at RR is just as bad as the music they refuse to listen to. If it's o.k. with others, I will continue to listen to "Because He Lives" and hopefully I won't be condemned to hell for doing so.
                    Romans 3:10-12
                    10 As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.”
                    I like my worship music actually having the words like Jesus and God and Lord and all that in them instead of songs that sound like a Bieber song.

                    I listen to secular music. One of my favorite bands is called "The devil wears Prada" and they are open Christians and often the lead singer shares the Gospel at concerts. Their songs are usually centered around Biblical concepts but I wouldn't play them as worship music.
                    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BorrowedTime View Post
                      I like my worship music actually having the words like Jesus and God and Lord and all that in them instead of songs that sound like a Bieber song.

                      I listen to secular music. One of my favorite bands is called "The devil wears Prada" and they are open Christians and often the lead singer shares the Gospel at concerts. Their songs are usually centered around Biblical concepts but I wouldn't play them as worship music.
                      I agree with your comment....Jesus, God, Lord...one of my favorites if not all-time favorite is "Just as I am". I prefer to listen to the "classics" with regards to worship music rather than modern stuff. I also like secular music. In fact as I'm typing this I'm listening to classical music. I'm sensitive to this subject since my son is a professional musician...a christian professional musician....a blind, christian professional musician. He gives his talent back to the Lord not only when he is singing in church or in gospel settings but when he is singing in secular venues. He likes to "sneak in" a song with a gospel message or theme. In fact, about a year ago he took second place in the solo/due category with his partner at the International Blues Competition in Memphis. Over 115 competitors from all over the globe in their category. During the finals, which were played in front of roughly 2,500 blues lovers, one of the songs they did was "Trouble in my way", an old spiritual. They sang they name of Jesus numerous times in that environment. It's easy to sing worship music in a church environment.....not quite as easy in a secular environment. Very proud of him and his partner. Look them up on youtube, Innervision is the name of their duo and they are both blind and love the Lord their God with all of their hearts

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rks7777 View Post
                        I agree with your comment....Jesus, God, Lord...one of my favorites if not all-time favorite is "Just as I am". I prefer to listen to the "classics" with regards to worship music rather than modern stuff. I also like secular music. In fact as I'm typing this I'm listening to classical music. I'm sensitive to this subject since my son is a professional musician...a christian professional musician....a blind, christian professional musician. He gives his talent back to the Lord not only when he is singing in church or in gospel settings but when he is singing in secular venues. He likes to "sneak in" a song with a gospel message or theme. In fact, about a year ago he took second place in the solo/due category with his partner at the International Blues Competition in Memphis. Over 115 competitors from all over the globe in their category. During the finals, which were played in front of roughly 2,500 blues lovers, one of the songs they did was "Trouble in my way", an old spiritual. They sang they name of Jesus numerous times in that environment. It's easy to sing worship music in a church environment.....not quite as easy in a secular environment. Very proud of him and his partner. Look them up on youtube, Innervision is the name of their duo and they are both blind and love the Lord their God with all of their hearts
                        Your son and his partner are truly talented! I listened to a few of their songs on YouTube and enjoyed them.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Accepted View Post
                          I have really enjoyed the Gaither Gospel Hour on our local PBS station, and am saddened to hear they are associating with apostates like the author of "The Shack." The Bible is very clear that we are to watch out for teachers of false doctrine, and not associate with them.

                          I think we are living in extraordinary times, right before the Lord's return! We have to be discerning in everything, including doctrine taught through music. There is a very large church in our town that has taken a turn toward Calvinism. They write a lot of their own music. A friend visited there recently, and said they were singing a song clearly based on John 3:16, but they sang "For God so loved his people that he gave..." instead of "For God so loved the world..." Calvinists don't believe that God loves the world, or that Jesus died for everyone, so... just twist the Scripture to fit your systematic theology! Unbelievable!

                          We have to always be alert, and test, test, test! It's a sign of the times!

                          Yes Accepted, that is exactly what we need to do.... discern and stay true to sound doctrine, we are warned in God's Word not to have anything to do with it.
                          When I hear of Mega Churches teaching false doctrine and pumping out worship music, even though their music might be spot on, I am more apt to not want to have anything to do with them or even listening to their worship music. Why? Well, for one, they are reaching out into society to try and bring in the people through their worship music and once this is done, many, and I say many are hooked and then get sucked into their false doctrine. It is a great tool that I believe Satan uses to lead many astray, straight into the pit of hell.
                          Hillsong is doing that very thing... We cannot compromise on Doctrine.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rks7777 View Post
                            pianoknight.....you are spot on. I guess some think we should be living in a perfect world now. They run from everything. I'm surprised that they even come to RR to fellowship since we are all sinners saved by grace. Some on this site must live or attempt to live in a bubble. Not sure how they can even eat the food on their table as it is most likely grown, packed, prepared, etc. by a non-believer. My son is also a musician and a christian musician. Leads worship at his church. He also sings secular music during the week to make ends meet....even blues music shockingly. But nothing that would tarnish his relationship with the Lord. The spirit of fear that reeks on some here at RR is just as bad as the music they refuse to listen to. If it's o.k. with others, I will continue to listen to "Because He Lives" and hopefully I won't be condemned to hell for doing so.
                            Romans 3:10-12
                            10 As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.”

                            When I see how many Churches are falling from God's Holy Word, I don't take that lightly. Many mega Churches and small one's alike are falling right into the hands of Satan and twisting God's Word to conform to the culture "the world"and His Word warns us not to do that very thing.

                            I believe that many true born again Christians are very serious about walking in the truth and that dabbling in any degree of apostasy would be akin to playing Russian roulette with Satan. What I am trying to convey here is that I don't believe we are to hide from the world, but, we are not to be living like the world or be a part of it, we are in it, but as Christians we are to walk in His Word!
                            I have adult children who are caught up in the emergent/new age Church and my heart grieves at how many, too many are falling into the same lies.

                            We are told not to do anything to make a brother or sister stumble in their walk with the Lord! If I say it is o.k. to listen to worship music from Hillsong or another Church that is teaching false doctrine, then what message am I giving to these brothers and sisters in Christ? And, also, what message am I giving to the world. And, matter of fact, when I have tried to get my adult children and others in the Church to even listen to any truth about these matters of false teaching from such Churches, I am being divisive. Therefore, I do consider this to be a very serious matter in light of God's Word and the souls of many... including our children and grand children.
                            I believe we should fear The Lord, not man.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Koalie View Post
                              Your son and his partner are truly talented! I listened to a few of their songs on YouTube and enjoyed them.
                              Thanks!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X