Announcement

Collapse

Combining RR-BB.com into RaptureForums.com

Because it has become insanely difficult to manage a bulletin board these days, the managers of Rapture Ready and Rapture Forums have decided to join our boards together under a software program that is easier to manage. Because RF has their database operating well under an Enforo license, we decided to make Rapture Forums the focal point of a consolidation. Since Chris, the owner of RF, has long experience in running a forum, he can better manage the problems that come with this technology.

If you do not have an account at https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/, please sign up. By the end of November, it will become the forward address of RR-BB.com
See more
See less

What Are Your Feelings About This

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are Your Feelings About This

I got a text from my daughter today and am not sure how to feel about the following. She attends the Restoration Fellowship Church. I felt uneasy about it but wondered what you all think. I've never heard of this before and I would appreciate your feedback. Zach is my 20 yr old grandson and was attending the church for the first time.

"Before the pastor began his sermon he walked over to Zach in the back row with us and placed his hand on his shoulder and told Zach, "it's been placed on my heart that you will have a special calling, don't run from it like I did and wait until your late 30's. Pray and seek guidance of what his purpose is for you"

Thanks
    Fanny
    John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

This is my two cents... for what its worth.

I dont see anything wrong with that. He did not say, It was placed on my heart you are going to be a police officer. Stop all that you are doing, and go study law in school right now, otherwise you are not following the Lord." He said "pray about it, and ask God to show you the way, and what He wants you to do."

As a side note, on my wedding day, my husband and I were standing together. A person we barely knew from the church, gave us a check with (what to us) was alot of money. She said she felt like God had a special purpose for us. This was almost 7 years ago. We told her over and over again we could not accept it. She refused to take the check back, gave us a hug, and walked away.

I still dont know what she meant, or what the special purpose is/was. nothing extraordinary has happened to my husband and I.

But, back to the point, I think God can place certain things on people's heart about one another. The pastor might have seen him for the first time, and God might have placed an inkling on his heart, saying "hey, this young man is going to do something awesome eventually." and he just felt like he needed to share it.

Like I said, just my two cents.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with it . I would not be uneasy about it at all. Maybe you could elaborate on what specific part made you uneasy?

Comment

Doesn't seem to off or troubling.
        Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Comment

Originally posted by fan4sure View Post
          I got a text from my daughter today and am not sure how to feel about the following. She attends the Restoration Fellowship Church. I felt uneasy about it but wondered what you all think. I've never heard of this before and I would appreciate your feedback. Zach is my 20 yr old grandson and was attending the church for the first time.

"Before the pastor began his sermon he walked over to Zach in the back row with us and placed his hand on his shoulder and told Zach, "it's been placed on my heart that you will have a special calling, don't run from it like I did and wait until your late 30's. Pray and seek guidance of what his purpose is for you"

Thanks
          Fanny
          The pastor sounds like he might have been giving Zach a charismatic 'word of knowledge.' Perhaps others on this board will/have said differently, but, yes, it would make me feel uncomfortable.
          This man doesn't know your grandson. It appears that the pastor was acting like a 'prophet' of some sort. I was reading in the Old Testament this morning where Samuel told Saul, 'the donkeys you were looking for have been found.' Samuel was a true prophet and did have conversations with God about Saul becoming the king of Israel. As you know, we don't live in that dispensation any longer and we don't have 'prophets' giving this special knowledge to anyone in this day and time period.
          Did your daughter or her husband seem to find this comment of the pastor objectionable? If not, then maybe it's best left alone, for now.
          sigpic
          -Lynn

Comment

When one of my sons was being dedicated, the pastor said he believed that God would use him in a special way.
            I never told my son about it, but noticed things about him as he grew. He had a heart for worship from early childhood...he was just a little different from the rest.
            When he went to college, he majored in math. He wanted to be a teacher, and loved math, but basically failed every class. When he was in his third year, he changed majors to youth ministry and Hebrew, and completed that double major in two years.
            I finally let him listen to the cassette by the pastor, but never said a word to him before he left math behind for ministry.
            The same pastor told us , as a church, if someone says they have a word from God for you, ignore them, unless He already told you first.

I agree that your grandson's experience is not concerning...it was not a specific 'leading' or 'word' but just an inkling, as someone mentioned.
            Bless you all...
            sigpic
            I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken because He is right beside me. Ps. 16:8

Comment

Originally posted by fan4sure View Post

Thanks
              Fanny
              Two ways to look at it. It could be viewed as a harmless source of encouragement. We as Christians all have a 'special calling' of sorts, in that we all have unique spiritual gifts that God calls us to use for his glory. Some will obey, some not. So it could be taken that way. Maybe the pastor tries to encourage any visitor in some way, and warn them not to run from God, because of his own past mistakes.

The other side is that, in a church setting with others around, and to have a stranger come up and speak anything personal is not really done in society. Talk about the weather, sports, anything harmless, but don't go digging deep into my personal life with Jesus. Even some that have been in the church and know the pastor might be uncomfortable if he spoke those words to them. It is just unusual. I may want to follow up and let the pastor gently know that it is a bit disconcerting, and ask what prompted the statement.

I also am very leery of anything even hinting of some form of prophecy these days. But I wouldn't totally dismiss this statement. In fact, if the young man sought after God because of what this pastor said, that would be totally great, can't go wrong drawing closer to God. Like cjbo said, he didn't predict anything that would lead the young man to live his life differently, in a worldly sense.

Perhaps it seems odd because of the time element, "don't wait until your 30's". Maybe that seemed to get even more personal (because he is implying that he knows that this young man will still be around in his thirties?).
              "Therefore my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable,
              always abounding in the work of the Lord;
              knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
                The pastor sounds like he might have been giving Zach a charismatic 'word of knowledge.' Perhaps others on this board will/have said differently, but, yes, it would make me feel uncomfortable.
                This man doesn't know your grandson. It appears that the pastor was acting like a 'prophet' of some sort. I was reading in the Old Testament this morning where Samuel told Saul, 'the donkeys you were looking for have been found.' Samuel was a true prophet and did have conversations with God about Saul becoming the king of Israel. As you know, we don't live in that dispensation any longer and we don't have 'prophets' giving this special knowledge to anyone in this day and time period.
                Did your daughter or her husband seem to find this comment of the pastor objectionable? If not, then maybe it's best left alone, for now.
                I know what you mean about the charismatics. It made me read her post 3x.

The fact her daughter attends the church (and no mention it was a bad one) made me not think negatively bout it.
                Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Comment

Working...
                X