The Message Paraphrase by Eugene Peterson *Merged*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Message Paraphrase by Eugene Peterson *Merged*

Ok, we have a youth leader who thinks this Bible is the best thing since sliced bread. He is also tripping merrily down the Emergent path. As a fellow youth leader I am in a position to hopefully help direct him differently.

I need solid, concrete problems with "The Message" to bring to his attention. I am not that familiar with it personally but I know it is widely accepted in emergent circles.

lisaann, please check this site:

http://www.crossroad.to/Bible_studies/Message.html

It offers very clear, concrete material for you to study.
    John 4:23~
    "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers".~Jesus

Comment

It makes Jesus sound like a Hippie.

Comment

Haha back in 1995 when I was young 18yr old, I was working at a Campus Crusade for Christ conference hotel here in SoCal. Well, the bookstore carried "The Message". I requested a meeting with the director of the Center, and when we met I showed him the terrible and verging on blasphemous transliterations in that book, and a week later he pulled it from the conference center book store!

That book is such a deception of distorted words, that whenever I come across it, it literally makes me ill and my stomach knots up at how horribly that book has changed the Word of God. Also, it sounds like the author is speaking to 4 year olds, I don't know why any adult would even consider opening that bilge.
        Last edited by Ironguild; June 15th, 2008, 08:06 PM.

Comment

It befuddles me why any pastor or Christian uses The Message as if it was the Bible. It is clearly marked by Eugene Peterson in the front of the book. How ever could anyone accidentally believe that the book is anything but man's twisted wisdom?

Comment

Originally posted by broken View Post
            lisaann, please check this site:

http://www.crossroad.to/Bible_studies/Message.html

It offers very clear, concrete material for you to study.
            that's just the sort of thing I was looking for.

Comment

Just go read Ephesians chapter 6 from any "real" translation and then read the message...why would any reference to the Whole Armour of God be left out, I wonder???

Possibly because the devil wants us to be defenseless???

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Here's a link to a good article exposing the Message:

The Message Bible: Mystic Mess Eugene Peterson's Bible The Message contains the most blatant New Age mysticism ever published in a Bible......

http://www.av1611.org/kjv/mess_bible.html

Comment

Originally posted by susanb View Post
                  It befuddles me why any pastor or Christian uses The Message as if it was the Bible. It is clearly marked by Eugene Peterson in the front of the book. How ever could anyone accidentally believe that the book is anything but man's twisted wisdom?
                  That's because some of us (like myself) didn't know just how wrong Peterson is. Now that I've read about the message and so forth, I get ill thinking about how I read it. Before I studied up on him, I didn't know who Eugene Peterson was and I was fooled into believing that I was reading an easier to comprehend version of the bible. I was really wanting to read my bible more and understand it more. Now I know better, but your comment still hurts a bit. I feel like I am being talked down to because I didn't know.

Comment

No, I felt the same way when I found out some information about the NIV. I was thrilled that there was a bible that was easier to read. But then I found out there is a whole verse missing. And not to mention there was a homosexual who was helping with something. She said she read and made notations, etc. and gave it back. How much was changed just because of that?! Also, someone explained to me that the NIV was adapted in 1973. Right after the sexual revolution 1969. It just begs to be heard that the book is not going to be the same when people who are editing are people affected by the changes that have come about in the world at that time. And I would like to also say get a copy of the KJV and read the letter they publish in it that they gave to King James when they presented him the finished product. Very interesting. Things were a lot different back then.

Comment

Originally posted by KBKMNN View Post
                      That's because some of us (like myself) didn't know just how wrong Peterson is. Now that I've read about the message and so forth, I get ill thinking about how I read it. Before I studied up on him, I didn't know who Eugene Peterson was and I was fooled into believing that I was reading an easier to comprehend version of the bible. I was really wanting to read my bible more and understand it more. Now I know better, but your comment still hurts a bit. I feel like I am being talked down to because I didn't know.
                      Sorry. I didn't intend my comment to hurt anyone, I'm only wondering why a book authored by any man would be considered the Bible. The Message is a thought-for-thought paraphrase, not a translation. It's best not to read paraphrases at all. They are tainted to some degree by "culturally relevant" hogwash.

The Living Bible is another paraphrase that is doctrinally off. I had read it a few years ago in order to understand the details of Paul's missionary trips (book of Acts), but when I started reading Romans, the words were quite lame and mundane IMO. There wasn't any "umph" to it. I went back to the King James Version and made sure that any interpretation was backed up by other scripture, depending on the Holy Spirit to give me understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by susanb View Post
                        Sorry. I didn't intend my comment to hurt anyone, I'm only wondering why a book authored by any man would be considered the Bible. The Message is a thought-for-thought paraphrase, not a translation. It's best not to read paraphrases at all. They are tainted to some degree by "culturally relevant" hogwash.

The Living Bible is another paraphrase that is doctrinally off. I had read it a few years ago in order to understand the details of Paul's missionary trips (book of Acts), but when I started reading Romans, the words were quite lame and mundane IMO. There wasn't any "umph" to it. I went back to the King James Version and made sure that any interpretation was backed up by other scripture, depending on the Holy Spirit to give me understanding.

Ok. Sorry for being grumpy about it. We were introduced to Peterson's 'bible' over 10 years ago by our pastor who used it sometimes. He was a good preacher and didn't preach anything that we thought was apostacy. Now some years later, I'm a little older and hopefully a little wiser. Now I stick with my Tim LaHaye KJV Prophecy Bible.

Comment

Originally posted by fsdinc View Post
                          Hello Everyone,

Here's a link to a good article exposing the Message:

The Message Bible: Mystic Mess Eugene Peterson's Bible The Message contains the most blatant New Age mysticism ever published in a Bible......

http://www.av1611.org/kjv/mess_bible.html
                          THANK YOU so much for providing this link!! We are dealing with serious issues in our church, some of what has to do with the Message, and I've done extensive research but couldn't concretely link The Mess by Peterson to New Age, which I firmly believed it to be.
                          This article articulates with precision AND backs it up with authors the direct links to new age garbage.
                          The Mess (age) is a Message all right...Mess-(of New)-Age...it is nothing short of propagating the new age lie to the church itself-and the church doesn't even know it!!
                          I highly recommend people to read that article. Its excellent, and thanks for providing it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironguild View Post
                            Haha back in 1995 when I was young 18yr old, I was working at a Campus Crusade for Christ conference hotel here in SoCal. Well, the bookstore carried "The Message". I requested a meeting with the director of the Center, and when we met I showed him the terrible and verging on blasphemous transliterations in that book, and a week later he pulled it from the conference center book store!

That book is such a deception of distorted words, that whenever I come across it, it literally makes me ill and my stomach knots up at how horribly that book has changed the Word of God. Also, it sounds like the author is speaking to 4 year olds, I don't know why any adult would even consider opening that bilge.
                            I have a friend on staff for CCC who says they are promoting Rob Bell and Henri Nouwen these days!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FaithContender View Post
                              I have a friend on staff for CCC who says they are promoting Rob Bell and Henri Nouwen these days!!!
                              unfortunately I heard the same thing

Comment

Working...
                              X