Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your church is going to be closed on Christmas Sunday . Then you dont get to complain....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcalvert View Post
    As a pastor of a small city church, I know that we, will NOT be closing on Christmas Day. Christ is our center focus for what we do! This is the one day we should ALL be gathered around as a family to celebrate all that Jesus came and did for us. Churches that are closed on Christmas day are a bunch of cowards and quite frankly are not worth attending.

If we were to ride this train of thought all the way through, then there would really not be any Sundays to have church... let's see...
    New years day is on a Sunday... - close
    Superbowl Sunday - closed
    Jan - March- close due to snow or bad weather...
    Mother's Day & father's day - close
    Easter - Close
    Might as well close for the month of May & June with all the graduations going on.
    July and Aug - close for vacation
    Sept might as well not have any Church on Sundays due to kids going back to school and getting ready for that.
    Oct - I guess we can have church
    Not the first week of Nov due to the time change
    The last week cancel church due to Thanksgiving,
    Dec. Too many things going on in a persons life due to the holiday so might as well close for Sundays too

Really??? How childish. Again... Churches that are closed on Christmas day are a bunch of cowards and quite frankly are not worth attending.
    Yes I know it's the person we are going to church for... Jesus, and not the actual day. But this is a great time to share the gospel of Jesus, not just Christmas day, but every day, not just on Sunday's.

thanks for letting me vent!
    Every day is a great day, outside the walls, to share the gospel of Jesus to the world. The church is for Believers, educating, fellowshipping and lifting each other up. Sharing Jesus with the world is done outside the walls of Christian fellowship, going out to a lost world.. And that is Biblical.

It is a bit arrogant to call churches who will not be open on Sunday cowards. You do not know them, nor do you know their hearts. Not even a little bit. I think it is very judgmental to declare you know these other peoples hearts and their relationship to Jesus for not having fellowship on Sunday morning. All because you demand that they be open on Christmas.
    Psalm 30:11-12 (New King James Version)

11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
    You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,
    12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent.
    O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever.

Pre-Flood!
    Thanks for the citizen title Hoot!

Comment

the early Christians set the standard for us by coming together on the first day of the week to worship the Lord, on "The Lord's day", that's why we worship on Sunday. Yes it's a lifestyle that we should all have each and everyday of our life's and we can do it at home, but there is something great about coming together as a collective body to worship our Lord, whatever day that might be.
      But what about all those who still gather on Saturdays?

I have never heard the Bible refer to Sundays as The Lord's Day, truly. And as the only day to worship in Church on.

But the insinuation is that (well, one poster actually said that the congregation was a bunch of cowards for not going to church on Sunday) people who do not go to church and worship Jesus on Sunday are bad Christians. Besides being cowards and apparently losers, in the implication. Oh and not good Christians like them, who go to show the world how good a Christian they are on Sunday morning.

Now what was it that Jesus said about doing things to impress the world, or at least others, to appear more wonderfully Holy publicly..................

Pre-Flood!

Comment

Originally posted by RaptureReady_7 View Post
        Every day is a great day, outside the walls, to share the gospel of Jesus to the world. The church is for Believers, educating, fellowshipping and lifting each other up. Sharing Jesus with the world is done outside the walls of Christian fellowship, going out to a lost world.. And that is Biblical.

I agree...

It is a bit arrogant to call churches who will not be open on Sunday cowards. You do not know them, nor do you know their hearts. Not even a little bit. I think it is very judgmental to declare you know these other peoples hearts and their relationship to Jesus for not having fellowship on Sunday morning. All because you demand that they be open on Christmas.
        Let's take a look at some of the churches that are closing on Sunday due to Christmas, Mars Hill, willow creek, a lot of the big mega churches are closing... and let's face it. the majority of these church are seeker sensitive one's which many are talked about in this forum. having little to no true gospel at all. It;s all about tickling the ears. in that... Yes they are cowards! Cowards for not speaking the truth.

Perhaps I'm a bit hasty in my judgment but I've been in the ministry for a long time and in My experience... it's seems that people are always looking for a reason to NOT come to church. Either they are too busy with other priorities or they are just plain lazy. I feel that closing on a Sunday is just giving them yet another reason to not attend.
        See you on the Battlefield,

Comment

Originally posted by RaptureReady_7 View Post
          But what about all those who still gather on Saturdays?

I have never heard the Bible refer to Sundays as The Lord's Day, truly. And as the only day to worship in Church on.

But the insinuation is that (well, one poster actually said that the congregation was a bunch of cowards for not going to church on Sunday) people who do not go to church and worship Jesus on Sunday are bad Christians. Besides being cowards and apparently losers, in the implication. Oh and not good Christians like them, who go to show the world how good a Christian they are on Sunday morning.

Now what was it that Jesus said about doing things to impress the world, or at least others, to appear more wonderfully Holy publicly..................
          The reasons Sunday is referred to "The Lords day" is because it was on a Sunday that Christ rose from the dead. In revelation John was taken to heaven on 'The Lord's day" http://www.gotquestions.org/worship-on-Sunday.html

As for going to Church on a Sat....I'm not saying that we have to put one day over the other. the point is this... If a church is closing (not having service) just because it's a holiday. Easter, mother's day, Christmas or Whatever day you want to close on... I think is a poor excuse to not have church.

I understand that people have 'Stuff" to do in life. if a person does not go to church or they miss a day I would not call them a coward, a looser, or a bad Christian. My focus in on the main pastor, Why would you Not want to have a service on a Christmas Day?
          See you on the Battlefield,

Comment

Well this comes up only every 7 years so at least it is a rare dilemma. We are going to forgo the Christmas Eve service and do all the same things on the 17th (Worship Evening for the whole family) That way those who serve in ministry get a chance to enjoy the time with their families.

The reason that we would never consider closing on any Sunday, let alone Christmas Day, is precisely because people show up on that day in larger numbers than any other day. It is a great day to be sure The Gospel is accurately presented to people unaccustomed to hearing it.
            There is One King, and He is not this guy. sigpic

Comment

Let's take a look at some of the churches that are closing on Sunday due to Christmas, Mars Hill, willow creek, a lot of the big mega churches are closing... and let's face it. the majority of these church are seeker sensitive one's which many are talked about in this forum. having little to no true gospel at all. It;s all about tickling the ears. in that... Yes they are cowards! Cowards for not speaking the truth.

Perhaps I'm a bit hasty in my judgment but I've been in the ministry for a long time and in My experience... it's seems that people are always looking for a reason to NOT come to church. Either they are too busy with other priorities or they are just plain lazy. I feel that closing on a Sunday is just giving them yet another reason to not attend.
              Well, we already know that the above named churches are not sound. So no one, least of all, us here, expect them to do anything right. And they are a lot of things, false prophets, liars, charlatans and self serving egotistical false teachers.

But that does not make other churches that close the same thing. Not even a little bit. We can judge Mars Hill and all on their false teachings, all their bad fruit. But closing on Sunday is not a capital offense to God. As suggested here.

I wasn't defending these places. And I never said I was. But I know this, it is not their closing on Sunday that makes me know their fruit is bad, it is their false teachings with a worldly agenda and false teachings. Not being closed on Sunday for Christmas is not an indication of a cowardly church. And I was pretty clear that I was talking about closing on Sunday, or not doing Services at all on Sunday.

Pre-Flood!

Comment

Originally posted by Shonsu View Post
                Amen! Our church is having service but I certainly would not look down on any church who isn't.
                We're having one combined service on Christmas morning.

"But I say unto you, that one greater than the temple is here".
                Matthew 12:6 (ASV)

"...and behold, a greater than Jonah is here."
                Luke 11:32 (ASV)

"...and behold, a greater than Solomon is here."
                Luke 11:31 (ASV)

Comment

The reasons Sunday is referred to "The Lords day" is because it was on a Sunday that Christ rose from the dead. In revelation John was taken to heaven on 'The Lord's day" http://www.gotquestions.org/worship-on-Sunday.html

As for going to Church on a Sat....I'm not saying that we have to put one day over the other. the point is this... If a church is closing (not having service) just because it's a holiday. Easter, mother's day, Christmas or Whatever day you want to close on... I think is a poor excuse to not have church.

I understand that people have 'Stuff" to do in life. if a person does not go to church or they miss a day I would not call them a coward, a looser, or a bad Christian. My focus in on the main pastor, Why would you Not want to have a service on a Christmas Day?
                  Actually, a poor excuse for a church is one that does not feed the flock on a regular basis. and equip the members to go out and share Jesus to the world. Which most churches do not do (equip their members to actively seek the lost).

And I still did not see, in your link, a biblically mandated "Lord's day" for fellowshipping. I already know why the church gathers on Sunday, as a rule. I have been a born again Christian for a few years now.

But my problem is that the sweeping condemnation of churches that do may not be open for Sunday worship. Mentioning that Mars Hill and all their buddies, being cowards and unbiblical is a given, that is like saying mud is nasty for coffee. It really does not need pointed out.

Now my church will be open, as far as I know, for Christmas, but I would not think they were all cowards if it was not. My ability to remember the birth of Jesus, worship Jesus as Savior is not dependent upon being in a building. I love fellowshipping with other Believers, but I will not condemn them if they stay home Sunday morning and call them cowards and part of the false prophet ring of Mars Hill, Rick warren and all.

Pre-Flood!

Comment

Originally posted by Jael View Post
                    Yeah...it just feels really weird to essentially tell the Lord "Sorry, we're too busy celebrating your birthday to worship you today." Christmas is about honoring Him and we come together in worship to honor Him...why not come together on Christmas?
                    I agree Jael.

the fact Noble and Furtick are doing this shows how little for JESUS they care about.

their seeker sermons and hatred towards discerning christians were bad enough, but to say: I dont feel like celebrating JESUS birth at church cause Christmas is on a Sunday this year speaks volumes about them
                    For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

Comment

To me raptureready_7 it is not the person who does not go to church on Christmas day that is necessarily luke warm but the church that chooses to close on Christmas day most likely is a dead or apostate. That would be my conclusion.
                      Jesus is coming now at "Any Moment"! Are you ready?

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Praying for the Peace of Jerusalem. Amen.

Comment

I would think churches would want to be open on Christmas, for the same reason as Easter Sunday; people who never come to church may be more curious about the LORD and perhaps likely to come on those particular days.
                        I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
                        For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor;
                        no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless.

Psalm 84:10-11

Comment

Originally posted by OnceWasLost View Post
                          The reason that we would never consider closing on any Sunday, let alone Christmas Day, is precisely because people show up on that day in larger numbers than any other day. It is a great day to be sure The Gospel is accurately presented to people unaccustomed to hearing it.
                          Our pastor was considering not having service on Christmas, but thankfully, for this same reason opted to still have service. We are also having Christmas Eve service. I'm glad we're having both, and I'm hoping to go to both. I've never been to a Christmas service before, and I'm eager to go.

Comment

When our church was w/o a pastor, we had an interim pastor, who drove to our church from Memphis (a 2 hour trip, one way) every Sunday, we closed the church just that one Sunday (I believe that was in 2005). We did that so that this interim pastor could spend Christmas with his family. When we finally got a full-time pastor, the church has NEVER been closed for Sunday morning services. I doubt seriously that we will be closed on Christmas day...unless the Rapture happens before that.

Easter is always on a Sunday...if the church is open for Easter services, what would make Christmas "Sunday" any different? Most churches get the "two day a year" pew warmers to fill the pews on those two holidays.

Comment

I write the following with no disrespect to anyone.

Imho, the decision to have or not have church on Christmas Day is up to and the business of that church body and no one else.

It is between that body and the Lord. It is not my business.

The birth, death, burial and Resurrection of our Lord should be honored and celebrated everyday in our heart and our actions to and with others.

By all means anyone is free to disagree and have your own opinion.

My respects and Merry Christmas to all.
                              Jhn 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."

I Stand With Israel Sha'alu Shalom Yerushalyim

Comment

This has gotten pretty heated, but I'll put my 2 cents in.

My family goes to church EVERY Sunday. We have always attended Christmas Eve services as well.
                                However, we will not be attending our church's morning service that day. Christmas Day for us always begins with a recounting of the birth of Jesus, and family prayer, and since we're a musical family, we sing or listen to carols all day. This is very much a stay-at-home day in which we are just with each other. In the evening, we have had extended family over or go to their house, but it's mostly just us during the day.

I really cherish this quiet time with just my husband and children. We run around so much the rest of the year. My husband plays piano in the worship team. I usually run media. He runs the special occasion choir. My kids help out in various things. Easter Sunday is a very busy day for us with all the special stuff we're involved in. So whether Christmas falls on a Sunday or a Monday, I want to be home with my family and our traditions. Christmas Eve is church and carols and prayers of praise and thanks. The next morning is worshipping at home while we rest.

Comment

Working...
                                X