Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is James McDonald solid in his teaching?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is James McDonald solid in his teaching?

Does anyone know anything about James McDonald? When I'm driving, I like to listen to Christian radio, and sometimes this guy is preaching at the time I happen to be listening.
    So far, I don't think I've heard any error, but he does seem to have a strong 'personality' following, like so many others these days. Would you say that he is biblically solid?
    sigpic
    -Lynn

There was a thread involving him awhile back. If you have the time, read through it. It may provide you with some good insights.

http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1565...-Elephant-Room
    Matthew 22:36-40

36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" 37 And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' 38 "This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' 40 "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Comment

he is solid to a extent, but as of late he has become a Rick Warren apologist.
      For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

Comment

Here we go. James MacDonald is the pastor of Harvest Bible Chapel where I attend services. I have always found his teachings to be scriptural, but I have recently found out that he's friendly/inclusive with people that are listed on some of these boards as being in apostasy or embracing teachings that are apostasies.

My problem is not with questioning whether or not his teaching is sound, it's with teachers who were formally walking in lockstep with the Bible leaving this sound foundation to become more seeker sensitive and to allow new idea's in. I'd like to know where a person can turn to find a pastor who's solid in the Word and works to stay there.

As far as James MacDonald goes, be a Berean Christian. As I say, so far, I've found his teachings sound, even if he's associating with other teachers/pastors who are questionable. Perhaps we need to treat Him according to the Words of Jesus:

Matthew 23:1-3 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
        Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
        All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

One of the things I look forward to most in heaven in a pure worship service in which there is no question as to whether or not the pastor is sound in his theology.

My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
        For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; the fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.

Baruch haba b'Shem Yahweh!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Verisimilitude View Post
          Here we go. James MacDonald is the pastor of Harvest Bible Chapel where I attend services. I have always found his teachings to be scriptural, but I have recently found out that he's friendly/inclusive with people that are listed on some of these boards as being in apostasy or embracing teachings that are apostasies.

My problem is not with questioning whether or not his teaching is sound, it's with teachers who were formally walking in lockstep with the Bible leaving this sound foundation to become more seeker sensitive and to allow new idea's in. I'd like to know where a person can turn to find a pastor who's solid in the Word and works to stay there.

As far as James MacDonald goes, be a Berean Christian. As I say, so far, I've found his teachings sound, even if he's associating with other teachers/pastors who are questionable. Perhaps we need to treat Him according to the Words of Jesus:

Matthew 23:1-3 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
          Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
          All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

One of the things I look forward to most in heaven in a pure worship service in which there is no question as to whether or not the pastor is sound in his theology.
          hallelujah! I too am looking forward to a day where I will hear truth only!

Comment

I have loved James McDonald teachings, I have felt like he counsels from the pulpit and have found great value from his teachings. I was very surprised this spring when he did a new study on Revelation, I had him on the radio and am used to agreeing with his message, and I found myself thinking, that's not right, did I hear right? Etc. But I still will listen to his older teachings for sure, I have moved and no longer get him on the radio, I know I can listen online, but I haven't had it quiet enough in the house to pay attention to even put it on.

Comment

I got kind of turned off to him when he was thanking the Lord for Obama as President on his blog (not that he necessarily agrees with Obama's philosophies) but because he had supporters of Obama in his congregation and second when he was involved in the Elephant Room "conversations" which is more about compromise and tolerance than Truth. But I also used to like listening to him, maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by pegmo View Post
                I got kind of turned off to him when he was thanking the Lord for Obama as President on his blog (not that he necessarily agrees with Obama's philosophies) but because he had supporters of Obama in his congregation and second when he was involved in the Elephant Room "conversations" which is more about compromise and tolerance than Truth. But I also used to like listening to him, maybe 5 or 6 years ago.
                Yeah, this sounds like a lot of compromise to me. I don't tune in his radio broadcast (or listen online) when I'm at home. He's just sometimes on the radio when I'm driving along, looking for a Christian program to listen to, and I was wondering if others knew more about him.
                sigpic
                -Lynn

Comment

I've always found his teachings to be scripturally sound as well. He is a bit "in your face" in his style, but coming from a wishy washy Catholic background I love that!

I also appreciate that he has boldly stated on many occasions that Jesus is coming back, and he's coming back soon.

Comment

Originally posted by proverbs31 View Post
                    I also appreciate that he has boldly stated on many occasions that Jesus is coming back, and he's coming back soon.
                    I think though that he means the second coming, not the rapture. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.
                    sigpic
                    -Lynn

Comment

He is pre-wrath. He does not see a separate program for Israel and the church. I heard him say on a youtube video on the rapture that we may already be in the seven years. He obviously does not take the literal historical grammatical view of Scripture.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan51 View Post
                        He is pre-wrath. He does not see a separate program for Israel and the church. I heard him say on a youtube video on the rapture that we may already be in the seven years. He obviously does not take the literal historical grammatical view of Scripture.
                        Oh, my! I did not know this.
                        sigpic
                        -Lynn

Comment

Actually by pre-wrath I think he means the wrath comes at the end of the seven years (which he says are not called the tribulation), which I believe he based on Rev. 6:17 and Mat. 24:29. It was kind of confusing. He uses the common argument that Jesus said we are destined for tribulation. His position totally denies imminence. Many things would have to happen before the rapture.

Comment

Whether sources and comments on the internet can be trusted or not is a debate, but overall he seems to have problems with his doctrine, opinions, etc.?

Comment

Working...
                            X