Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Touch Magazine Of Charles Stanley Promoting Contemplative New Monasticism?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a chance to catch some of Dr. Stanley in the recent past and have found him to be sound. (My samplings are not exhaustive by any means.)

Even the best tended garden gets a weed or two. Perhaps Dr. S does not edit his magazine?
    sigpic
    Come soon Lord Jesus - Take us Safely Home

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Comment

What a dirty trick. The article had nothing to do with Charles Stanley. Written, edited, etc by someone else. Just a nasty way of getting people's attention by putting Charles Stanley in the same sentence as an apostate practice.

Why not write the author's name and then of in touch magazine. Why not just in touch magazine.

Shame on Ken Silva.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceWasLost View Post
        He is just as given to contemplative prayer but he denies the Romanism form. It is still as he says mystical but since it's reformed it's kosher in his mind. I have seen many reformed churches embracing contemplative practices, but if they say it's not catholic they somehow think it's OK. There are many examples, mark driscoll is just like his mentor and so is rick warren, just to name a few.
        But what about what he said about contemplative prayer? It seems like the thing thats wrong with it (from what I've read) is that it comes from a Catholic tradition, and that it's unbiblical. He addresses both of those complaints with scripture to back it up. What's wrong with his reasoning?

I have no desire to defend or endorse practices which are against the will of God, and want to be extremely cautious about what teachings I follow. That said, it seems like all the charges against this are by association. Ive seen very little in the way of scriptural arguments, especially constrasting a particular teaching or idea on one hand and a countering passage of scripture on the other. It seems because words like 'meditation' and 'mystical' are often associated with false religions, that when used to describe the contemplation of the glories of God they must be heretical. Similarly, because some of these ideas have been adopted by churches/teachers that do not have sound doctrine in other areas, that it must be bad.

I want to be clear that my defense of this practice is not a sure one, I just haven't seen much convincing evidence that meditating on God through prayer is bad. I find myself just natuarlly meditating on scripture all the time, and it can be sort of a form of prayer. Numerous times I've paused after seeing something beautiful in His creation, or after reading some amazing bit of scripture, and meditated on it - and often spoke out to God in prayer at those moments. This seems like exactly what is being described here.

I'm a new believer, so I would love some Godly wisdom on this topic. It troubles me as I have respect for those on this forum (which seem to largely support these articles against contemplative prayer and pastors like John Piper), and I also have respect for pastor's like John Piper.
        Last edited by smithg; July 9th, 2011, 12:48 PM. Reason: grammar and clarity

Comment

Originally posted by JFrancisco View Post
          What a dirty trick. The article had nothing to do with Charles Stanley. Written, edited, etc by someone else. Just a nasty way of getting people's attention by putting Charles Stanley in the same sentence as an apostate practice.

Why not write the author's name and then of in touch magazine. Why not just in touch magazine.

Shame on Ken Silva.

Comment

Meditation

Originally posted by smithg View Post
            But what about what he said about contemplative prayer? It seems like the thing thats wrong with it (from what I've read) is that it comes from a Catholic tradition, and that it's unbiblical. He addresses both of those complaints with scripture to back it up. What's wrong with his reasoning?

I have no desire to defend or endorse practices which are against the will of God, and want to be extremely cautious about what teachings I follow. That said, it seems like all the charges against this are by association. Ive seen very little in the way of scriptural arguments, especially constrasting a particular teaching or idea on one hand and a countering passage of scripture on the other. It seems because words like 'meditation' and 'mystical' are often associated with false religions, that when used to describe the contemplation of the glories of God they must be heretical. Similarly, because some of these ideas have been adopted by churches/teachers that do not have sound doctrine in other areas, that it must be bad.

I want to be clear that my defense of this practice is not a sure one, I just haven't seen much convincing evidence that meditating on God through prayer is bad. I find myself just natuarlly meditating on scripture all the time, and it can be sort of a form of prayer. Numerous times I've paused after seeing something beautiful in His creation, or after reading some amazing bit of scripture, and meditated on it - and often spoke out to God in prayer at those moments. This seems like exactly what is being described here.

I'm a new believer, so I would love some Godly wisdom on this topic. It troubles me as I have respect for those on this forum (which seem to largely support these articles against contemplative prayer and pastors like John Piper), and I also have respect for pastor's like John Piper.
            I think you have to look at the word "meditation". In scripture, we are told to meditate on God's word day and night. There is a difference between Biblical Meditation and Contemplative meditation. Biblical meditation involves filling our mind with God's word, memorizing it, studying it, and applying it to our lives. Contemplative mediatation involves emptying our minds and focusing on a word or phrase and repeating it over and over. A phrase such as "God is Love", or "Jesus Loves Me". Contemplative also uses lights, music, sound etc.. to bring about a trance-like state, or hypnotic state. One fills our mind with God's word and our mind is fully engaged with thinking about it, the other empties our mind which leaves us open to Satan and unbiblical ideas. "An idle mind is the Devil's workshop" so to speak. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by smithg View Post

Here is the difficulty, one man's mysticism and meditation is another man's orthodoxy. Subjective anything makes the experience the arbitrator of correctness. The contemplative of romanism differs little from "puritan" contemplative practice ultimately. It is still experience based and there is no set in stone guide to what crosses the line.

Besides a person given to contemplative are likely going to be a proponent of the other disciplines. All those are fruit of the same diseased tree. For Mr. Piper to say his contemplative views differ from the roman dark ages is semantics and packaging IMO.
              There is One King, and He is not this guy. sigpic

Comment

A beloved Bible teacher in the crosshairs. This is about the last thing anyone wanted to deal with, right? I know I don't. I really like Charles Stanley. But this isn't the first time there's been a question about what he's allowing in his 'In Touch' magazine.

http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?1244...harles+Stanley

What shameful thing did Ken Silva do? The article is in the magazine. Would we rather that things like this weren't addressed?

*sigh* I'm so weary of it all. Seems there's an issue around every corner. Why can't the Bible teachers just teach the Bible, nothing more, nothing less. (I know, I know. There's an enemy at large on Planet Earth.)

I did take time to check out that Bible discernment site (from post #4). It does have a lot to say about Dr. Stanley. But it has a lot to say about many other teachers too. Seems no one passes the test on that site.

Comment

Curious, and to be current, I tried tuning into the latest In Touch sermon on t.v. last week, but Dr. Stanley wasn't preaching. I'm going to keep trying.

Twinkle, I also noticed that Biblical Discernment Ministries has many people listed, but unless I missed seeing them, not all the questionable pastors, teachers and prophets that are abounding in the church lately.

I don't understand why the issue of Dr. Stanley's divorce (I wasn't aware of it until relatively recently) and his decision to continue preaching didn't get as much heat in Christian circles as John Hagee's. Dr. Stanley really should have stepped down from the pulpit. There are other ways he could have effectively served the Lord in obedience to His Word.

Comment

Originally posted by twinkle View Post
                    A beloved Bible teacher in the crosshairs. This is about the last thing anyone wanted to deal with, right? I know I don't. I really like Charles Stanley. But this isn't the first time there's been a question about what he's allowing in his 'In Touch' magazine.

What shameful thing did Ken Silva do? The article is in the magazine. Would we rather that things like this weren't addressed?

*sigh* I'm so weary of it all. Seems there's an issue around every corner. Why can't the Bible teachers just teach the Bible, nothing more, nothing less. (I know, I know. There's an enemy at large on Planet Earth.)

I did take time to check out that Bible discernment site (from post #4). It does have a lot to say about Dr. Stanley. But it has a lot to say about many other teachers too. Seems no one passes the test on that site.
                    What we have here is a problem with an article in the magazine. The article was not written by Charles Stanley. I also don't believe that Stanley is the editor. Yet what has the discussion become? Is Charles Stanley promoting mysticism.

Yet anyone that has actually heard Stanley knows he is an incredible teacher and preacher. I am not saying he is infallible, but he has never supported the issue Ken Silva was so happy to point out his magazine promotes.

Shame on Ken Silva, I say that because what he did is a dirty journalism trick. The only reason I saw this thread is because I saw Stanley mentioned in apostasy of all places. Why not call out the author. So and So wrote an article in In Touch magazine promoting blah blah blah. Obviously because that wouldn't be an attention grabber.

The sad thing is there might be people who avoid Stanley because of the connection this article made in their minds. They would be missing out on an incredible fundamental preacher. That is why I said and Ill say again

Shame on Ken Silva. Next time you mention Charles Stanley make sure it is for something he said himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Clouds View Post
                      The intentional use of the word "Craft" sets off red flags for me.

A tradesman (craftsman) has a craft in the worldly or physical sense, but using "craft" in a "spiritual" sense immediately brings to mind such things as "witchcraft" or "priest craft".
                      Such "spiritual craft" denies the Gospel.
                      Good point.

Reminds us of what the AC will be like:

Daniel 8:25 And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.

sigpic

Comment

I don't have much time right now, but I was curious, does anyone know if Dr. Stanley has made a statement regarding the article in question? The article appeared in Jan. of 2011. Plenty of time to come out against it having appeared in the magazine.

I quickly checked the In Touch website and didn't see anything but I could have easily missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by injeralover View Post
                          Looks like everybody is an apostate now, oh my.
                          yes, Jesus said this would happen.

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
                          Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
                          Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Comment

Originally posted by twinkle View Post

The same thing has happened to Billy Graham. People love to bring others down!

'Walk humbly with the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in all your works and growing in the knowledge of God." Colossians 1:10 NKJV

Comment

Originally posted by turalura View Post
                              The same thing has happened to Billy Graham. People love to bring others down!
                              Are you saying we should wink at apostasy and give Christian leaders a free pass just because they have a big name?
                              What are we to do when a prominent ministry allows/promotes apostasy?
                              Should we warn the sheep or just pretend it is not happening?

Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
                              Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
                              Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzardhut View Post
                                Are you saying we should wink at apostasy and give Christian leaders a free pass just because they have a big name?
                                What are we to do when a prominent ministry allows/promotes apostasy?
                                Should we warn the sheep or just pretend it is not happening?
                                Goodness, no. I think you misread my post. I was saying that there are people out there ready to attack true Christians, big name or other, with statements that are not true but just to slander. It is evil. Christians are persecuted in various ways and it is easy to bring forth a charge of apostasy. I think we have to be very careful about the source.

'Walk humbly with the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in all your works and growing in the knowledge of God." Colossians 1:10 NKJV

Comment

Working...
                                X