Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petition - A Call for Separation

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by lorenei View Post
    I try talking about God to them sometimes when I come over for dinner to my parents' house, but dad just sees me as this silly girl who believes her silly things and pretty much disregards everything I say. And while my sister is a bit more opened to it, I don't think I'm making a lot of progress with her (I'm praying that my words would at least make her think about these things though). So how do I separate myself from that but at the same time not push my family away so that I can continue witness to them?
    Your main witness will be how you live in your family. Love or something else? One thing the unsaved do know, how you act gives reason for your beliefs. We can only point the way, they will see it, its not an option for them, just like it was not for us when the Lord brought our lives up in front of our face. They must respond, like us. The bravado of men is merely an act,

    Let everything you do and say be sprinkled with grace, love, humility and truth. They will see your chaste behavior and know you are true to the gospel. That is all we can do. Maybe opportunity will open up for some deeper fellowship. Be on the lookout for it and earnestly pray, be patient.
    Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

    Joel 3:2

    I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

    Comment


    • #77
      If they watch the news you may can start a conversation by commenting on how what's going on has already been prophesied, and what is to happen soon. This may get their attention. Things like Iran and Russia partnering up as a first time in history; Turkey aligning herself with them; etc. If nothing else, it may get them to thinking. Though they may never admit it to you or out loud, who knows what they are thinking (being convicted of) when they are alone and quiet.
      Ph 3:15 (paraphrased):...And if on some point you and I think differently, that too God will make clear to us. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by HeIsEnough View Post
        Your main witness will be how you live in your family. Love or something else? One thing the unsaved do know, how you act gives reason for your beliefs. We can only point the way, they will see it, its not an option for them, just like it was not for us when the Lord brought our lives up in front of our face. They must respond, like us. The bravado of men is merely an act,

        Let everything you do and say be sprinkled with grace, love, humility and truth. They will see your chaste behavior and know you are true to the gospel. That is all we can do. Maybe opportunity will open up for some deeper fellowship. Be on the lookout for it and earnestly pray, be patient.
        Thank you for these kind words of encouragement

        Well here we go then!

        I Lorenei commit myself to remain separate from the world, to be in the world but not of it, to be different due to my faith in the living testimony of Jesus Christ!!
        I was going to be a Calvinist, but it just wasn't meant to be!

        Comment


        • #79
          I am praying for you

          Originally posted by lorenei View Post
          I'm a bit torn as to what to do about this in my life... I've already distanced myself from most of my friends who aren't Christian, but my dad and my sister aren't Christians and it makes me so sad every day (my dad is atheist, my sister is pretty much agnostic)

          I try talking about God to them sometimes when I come over for dinner to my parents' house, but dad just sees me as this silly girl who believes her silly things and pretty much disregards everything I say. And while my sister is a bit more opened to it, I don't think I'm making a lot of progress with her (I'm praying that my words would at least make her think about these things though). So how do I separate myself from that but at the same time not push my family away so that I can continue witness to them?
          I feel your pain and I am praying for you. This year my oldest daughter who is away at college told me she is an atheist. You could not have hurt me anymore than that. We got into an argument and I said some things in anger that were true, but I should not have lost my temper and said them in anger.

          I do not know how to deal with this, I do not know how to seperate myself from her. Right now we are not really on speaking terms. She has picked herself another loser boyfriend, who is unemployed and a good candidate to be an alcoholic. She knows I don't like him. I don't like men who will not get a job and support their family. She knows I do not approve of the way she is living. To make matters worse I am helping pay for her college and I feel betrayed.

          I Andy have commited to live seperate from the world and not to be unequally yoked to it.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by 4given View Post

            I feel your pain and I am praying for you. This year my oldest daughter who is away at college told me she is an atheist. You could not have hurt me anymore than that. We got into an argument and I said some things in anger that were true, but I should not have lost my temper and said them in anger.

            I do not know how to deal with this, I do not know how to seperate myself from her. Right now we are not really on speaking terms. She has picked herself another loser boyfriend, who is unemployed and a good candidate to be an alcoholic. She knows I don't like him. I don't like men who will not get a job and support their family. She knows I do not approve of the way she is living. To make matters worse I am helping pay for her college and I feel betrayed.

            I Andy have commited to live seperate from the world and not to be unequally yoked to it.


            I can only imagine how much that must hurt, I will be praying for your daughter.

            I guess as a Christian parent all you can really do at this point is show your daughter that you love her (even though it will be very hard at times) and gently guide her towards Jesus Christ through example and sharing the gospel in ways which cater to her specific interests (for me it was prophecy + creationist science).

            I am trying to do that with my sister right now, but I don't know what would grab her interest because I don't think she watched any prophecy or creationist videos I gave her and I think she is finding my talks about the Bible increasingly annoying But I'm trying my best not to give up... my next plan of action is to make her a very pretty box with a Defender's Study Bible in it, some personal notes on my favourite books and different video/audio seminars which made a huge difference in my salvation so that if she ever feels the urge to know more and I'm not around for whatever reason she would have that.
            I was going to be a Calvinist, but it just wasn't meant to be!

            Comment


            • #81
              hang on to me Lord and get me out of here please in the name of Jesus

              Comment


              • #82
                I thought we weren't supposed to take oaths?

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by grapplewithGod View Post
                  I thought we weren't supposed to take oaths?
                  We're not violating a command. Do a study on the Biblical meaning of "oath".
                  "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 1:3b


                  Jesus + something = nothing

                  Jesus + nothing = Everything

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    I, Linda Lee, commit myself to remain separate from the world, to be in the world but not of it, to be different due to my faith in the living testimony of Jesus Christ!!
                    sigpic
                    My Road Map to Peace...

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      on behalf of the children

                      no longer relevant
                      Last edited by Grace1945; April 5th, 2011, 03:34 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Grace1945 View Post
                        Confess my heart did sink when I first read this petition thread and yes, deja vu was experienced. If any dissent was ever expressed, Mark 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? was always quoted...never did want to gain the world, just some kids to play with.

                        By all means be separate if that is where you are led, as an adult you are responsible for your own decisions
                        I cannot see the connection for the admonition you are attempting to make. This is not about a 'communal' or Amish type of separation being communicated here. It is a separation to be true to the Lord.
                        Don't panic! Just be Rapture Ready.

                        Joel 3:2

                        I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by HeIsEnough View Post
                          I cannot see the connection for the admonition you are attempting to make. This is not about a 'communal' or Amish type of separation being communicated here. It is a separation to be true to the Lord.
                          was intended as a cautionary word rather than admonition. I have amended my words.
                          Thank you for drawing my attention to this.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            To clarify and put this in context:

                            This was started after much discussion about last summer's Glenn Beck rally, in which several Christians were holding ecumenical hands with other faiths, and saying it was quite okay to do so.

                            This "petition" is merely a line drawn in the sand.... saying I stand only for the true Jesus of the BIBLE, and will not entertain another Jesus, or another gospel, nor will I hold hands with other faiths in a spirit of ecumenism.

                            Galatians 1: 6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospeló 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under Godís curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under Godís curse!
                            10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X