Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a list of good and bad Bible teachers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What about Alistair Begg - can he be added to The List ?


    Originally posted by Alhere View Post
    This is just my short list that I make "teachers" jump through and not by any means a complete list. I am aware others may not have the same items on their lists, so I do not intend to argue lists just sharing some filters I use before I spend my money or endorse to others.

    They are disqualified or put on watch if they are:

    1. Not-pretrib
    2. Not once actually saved always saved.
    3. Not young earth creationists
    4. If they endorse any type if mixing psychology with the Bible
    5. Endorse speaking in tongues (the gibberish kind) versus the fruit of the spirit in Galations 5 espec self control
    6. Endorse signs and wonders
    7. Their version of the gospel makes little mention of sin and repentance, the surrender of the will
    8. Give Catholicism the right hand of fellowship calling them brothers instead of witnessing to them
    9. Unwilling to separate from false teachers but appear on the same platform
    10. Aberrant views on the Trinity
    11. Abberant views on who Jesus was. He was God manifest in the flesh to pay my sin debt in God's courtroom.
    12. Aberrant views on the meaning of baptism, it's a symbol of already having been born again by the Holy Spirit nothing else
    13. If they think the Eucharist has some merit in salvation - nope price was paid in full at the cross
    14. Think their works have some merit to their salvation- nope confusing sanctification (walking with God) with salvation
    15. If they don't support Israel as rightfully being in their land given to them by God and prophetically in place for the end times
    I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
    For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor;
    no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless.

    Psalm 84:10-11

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SaintTexas View Post
      What about Henry Blackaby or Lee Strobel?
      Contemplative leanings for both, and strobel has been on staff at saddleback with rick warren, and continues to do purpose driven stuff. His website gives those details.

      Lighthouse Trails and Apprising has tons of info for specifics.

      http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/
      http://apprising.org/


      Articles on LS

      http://search.freefind.com/find.html...&query=strobel

      Articles on HB

      http://apprising.org/2009/06/10/henr...ola-scriptura/

      http://apprising.org/2008/09/19/henr...eriencing-god/
      There is One King, and He is not this guy. sigpic

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ShowUsTheFather View Post
        What about Alistair Begg - can he be added to The List ?
        +1
        The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
        Day to day pours forth speech, And night to night reveals knowledge.
        (Psa 19:1b-2)

        Comment


        • OnceWasLost, I just finished reading The Case for Christ the day before yesterday and am in the middle of reading The Case for Faith, both by Strobel. These are excellent books. I have also read The Unexpected Adventure that he wrote with Mark Mittleberg, which is a collection of 42 stories of people coming to faith in Christ or witnessing their faith in Christ; the gospel is clear and what it should be. I didn't find any problems in any of those three books (I am still in TCfF, but so far, nothing problematic at all). Have you ever actually read anything by Lee at all?

          I knew with Warren when I read Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby that The Purpose Driven Life had issues and was an (his) idea centered book rather than a scripture centered book. I was new in the Word when I read PDL, so it took another year and a half of reading my Bible and then some other things on top of that to see the difference.

          No one commented on Blackaby. Anyone?

          Maybe I do not understand what contemplative is.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by SaintTexas View Post
            OnceWasLost, I just finished reading The Case for Christ the day before yesterday and am in the middle of reading The Case for Faith, both by Strobel. These are excellent books. I have also read The Unexpected Adventure that he wrote with Mark Mittleberg, which is a collection of 42 stories of people coming to faith in Christ or witnessing their faith in Christ; the gospel is clear and what it should be. I didn't find any problems in any of those three books (I am still in TCfF, but so far, nothing problematic at all). Have you ever actually read anything by Lee at all?

            I knew with Warren when I read Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby that The Purpose Driven Life had issues and was an (his) idea centered book rather than a scripture centered book. I was new in the Word when I read PDL, so it took another year and a half of reading my Bible and then some other things on top of that to see the difference.

            No one commented on Blackaby. Anyone?

            Maybe I do not understand what contemplative is.
            The case for Christ is a fine book, but was written prior to his current direction. The problem is his recent hitching his wagon to and promotion of the rick warren model of church. Please look at the links I posted up thread and you can find plenty on contemplative at the links I put there.

            As for Blackaby, I linked a couple articles up thread.
            There is One King, and He is not this guy. sigpic

            Comment


            • Originally posted by OnceWasLost View Post
              The case for Christ is a fine book, but was written prior to his current direction. The problem is his recent hitching his wagon to and promotion of the rick warren model of church. Please look at the links I posted up thread and you can find plenty on contemplative at the links I put there.

              As for Blackaby, I linked a couple articles up thread.
              I went back to your response. I didn't see that you had used Blackaby's initials. I got it! With some of the commentaries, I have to say it was like they were commenting but had not actually read any of the author's materials, which I found troubling. I don't comment when I have no first hand experience. I do seek the wisdom of others though.

              Maybe I am apostate! LOL I have all the same fundamental beliefs that those who come here have---pre-Trib, sola fide, sola scriptura, fundamentalist, etc. . I am finding that it is hard to find all those beliefs wrapped up into one church or one author though. However, the Lord, despite going to a church that seems to be modeling both the WCA and Warren's models and reading a handful of Blackaby's books and finding the Lord easily (he believes in the Rapture and that we are in endtimes, BTW and says so in some of his other books) and Strobel's newest book The Unexpected Adventure, which details 42 stories about his and Mark Mittleberg's witness to others and The Shack (which I knew didn't line up with the Bible at all) and going to Beth Moore studies, has still been the Way, the Truth, and the Life. My signature in my email is ".....he remains faithful, for he cannot deny who he is." 2 Timothy 2:13 Even when we are not faithful, when teachers are mislead and teach wrongly, He is still faithful. I am following Him, even if it's through a mine field! I put zero trust in any man and put it all in the Lord alone.

              Yesterday, I was very discouraged, ready to climb into my closet alone forever with my Bible until the Lord reminded me that He was the Way, the Truth, and the Life and I could rest in Him, regardless of anything I might read by a Christian author that was errant. The Word says His Holy Spirit will guide us into all truth, which is what I trust more than any list we can put together.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by LightOfMyLife View Post
                What about Ray Comfort who is on Way Of The Master with Kirk Cameron? Also, sumsam mentioned Spiros Zodhiates. What about this person? Thanks for your answers & thanks OWL for your changes on the list.
                added brother Ray

                http://www.buzzardhut.net/index/htm/who.htm

                Originally posted by HeIsEnough View Post
                Sproul is not going to get any recommendations on this site.

                This board is Pre-Tribulational, Pre-Millennial Dispensational in regards to doctrine. Sproul doesn't fit, he is doctrinally confused. It would be very wise to keep that in mind, for a young believer to follow his teachings. It may not seem a large problem to you, but those who are not dispensational fall into all kinds of strange doctrine, and that is not a small problem.

                correct
                No Sproul
                Last edited by Buzzardhut; January 20th, 2010, 11:57 AM.



                Revelation 22:17a The Spirit and Bride are now saying, "Come!" The ones who hear are now saying, "Come!" The ones who thirst are now saying, "Come!" so come LORD Jesus !
                Buzzardhut.net |The Watch Parables | The Rapture | Romans | The Virgin Mary | Roman Catholicism
                Never Heard of Jesus? | The Evidence Bible | Tent Meeting | The Beast/666 | The Kingdom of Darkness | The Nephilim

                Comment


                • Wow! That was a great job to get this in alphabetical order! Thanks.

                  Question: Under the M's is the name of Frank Marotta?
                  Who is he? I tried to google him but, I found only a deceased man who was 85 years old.
                  Is this the one whom you are talking about.

                  Thank you in advance.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by SaintTexas View Post
                    With some of the commentaries, I have to say it was like they were commenting but had not actually read any of the author's materials, which I found troubling.
                    Saint - I went through the Experiencing God study 2 times. May I say that the first time I was a very shallow Christian and was very excited by the study. There've been many years since then in my life and my opinion of Blackaby and Experiencing God have changed substantially!

                    I do understand your spiritual confusion. When I started to become more discerning, I felt I had been stripped back to a Christianity that I was not as sure of. The more you study His word with the correct hermaneutic though, the clearer it becomes.

                    Blackaby does not interpret scripture correctly. He applies supernatural events that happened to Moses or David or Paul to be available to all Christians today. He is definitely not a dispensationalist. For instance most rabbis would agree that "throwing out a fleece" as Gideon did, goes against what God would want us to do. In Gideon's defense, God has already told him what to do, Gideon wanted additional confirmation. Blackaby uses this and other examples to encourage Christians to dabble in searching of God's personal will for their life through personal signs and circumstances.

                    It only takes a little yeast. Such thinking will open the door to the "signs and wonders" camp. If you open the door to "signs and wonders" then contemplative will certainly follow. I can tell you by my own experience, that I was seduced by such unbliblical thinking for a short time, but I know that God's Holy Spirit woke me up to the truth. He did this through His Word.

                    According to Dr. Fruchtenbaum concerning the use of Biblical Examples to Teach this view:
                    1. "The number of recorded cases of direct guidance for specific decisions is simply not sufficient to constitute a normative experience. In fact, they are exceptions to the rule."
                    2. "The recipients of special guidance of Scripture occupied a special place in the outworking of God's program; such as Peter and Paul. They were apostles; they were in a different cateogry."
                    3. "These biblical examples are not sufficiently comprehensive. Direct guidance was provided only at critical points during the formative years of the Church."
                    4. "The means of communication was special or supernatural revelation, and this is not the way God is guiding us today."


                    If you want to read more from Fruchtenbaum, these quotes are from his study "The Spiritual Life and Divine Guidance".
                    http://arielc.org/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...y_Code=pmbsDLD (scroll about 3/4 down).

                    Even now, the Experiencing God study is being taught in my church and I am so frustrated. I feel very much alone in a small rural community. There are not many choices and I keep running into questionable Biblical interpretations.
                    John 14:6
                    Jesus answered, "I am the WAY and the TRUTH and the LIFE, no one comes to the Father except through Me."

                    Comment


                    • We were Warned

                      I had read many times where Apostles Paul and Peter both warned us that there would be a serious falling away from sound doctrine, and yet I was still completely unprepared for the almost wholesale defection of many previously sound Bible teachers.

                      God started opening my eyes about 6 years ago and I can still clearly remember sitting in my living room in complete shock after several weeks of research. It felt as if my whole world had turned upside down. For the next few months as I delved deeper into God's Word (actually HAND copied the entire NT and large portions of OT into Journals), I repeatedly heard God say, "TRUST NO MAN," whenever I would began to feel lost.

                      I still am an avid reader but NOBODY gets a free pass anymore. God's Word is the bench mark not someone's past fidelity or laurels. I think it was hard for to me really get a good grip on the whole issue because this was a very gradual process, in many cases. Many of the people on the "bad apple" list were at one time fairly solid, like Beth Moore's older stuff. I think that is why God used the term "falling away." Many of these teachers started from a solid place and then literally "fell" away or maybe better yet, enticed away.

                      I think another factor is our society's propensity to "idolize" or give celebrity status to "super stars." I will never forget attending a Beth Moore conference a number of years ago. It almost felt like being at a royal coronations. People were pushing and shoving to get a glimpse of her, with comments on what she was wearing, her hair, etc. It was a fanatical fixation with the persona which I still see when women discuss doing her study. This is a major trait in our culture ( idolizing sports/movies/music "stars") that has had little trouble seeping into the church, especially in our youth.

                      Bottom line: In God I trust, everyone else get's frisked at the door!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by foodisrx View Post

                        Bottom line: In God I trust, everyone else get's frisked at the door!
                        Genius line!

                        There is One King, and He is not this guy. sigpic

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by OnceWasLost View Post
                          Genius line!

                          In the words of the Hootman...

                          +1
                          "I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe that I may understand: for this I also believe, that unless I believe I will not understand." --Anselm of Canterbury

                          Hebrews 12:3-4
                          For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.

                          Comment


                          • Great Job, Mensh! (A fellow organizer ) and a huge thanks to all you Bereans who have put so many hours into research. It can be a very thankless job.

                            I would like to suggest, however, a proviso regarding your wonderful alphabetized list--though we hope and pray that those listed will hold true to God's Word, we still must ALWAYS exercise discernment when we read ANYONE, even those on the list.

                            We can't afford relax our guard, because like someone else mentioned, no one is 100% right 100% of the time. I find myself forgetting to read with discernment if it is someone I like or agree with.

                            Comment


                            • one really bad one is

                              Samir Selmanovic (a nationally known big time universalism pusher in the emergent church)


                              read a recent post of his on facebook.

                              he was being endorsed and given praise on FB for pushing his Universalism agenda

                              by the folks from the Tri Faith Initative (a local group in my town who wants everyone to become a universalist and to be politcally very liberal)




                              if the TFI supports you, that is bad news.
                              For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by foodisrx View Post
                                I still am an avid reader but NOBODY gets a free pass anymore. God's Word is the bench mark not someone's past fidelity or laurels. I think it was hard for to me really get a good grip on the whole issue because this was a very gradual process, in many cases. Many of the people on the "bad apple" list were at one time fairly solid, like Beth Moore's older stuff. I think that is why God used the term "falling away." Many of these teachers started from a solid place and then literally "fell" away or maybe better yet, enticed away.

                                I think another factor is our society's propensity to "idolize" or give celebrity status to "super stars." I will never forget attending a Beth Moore conference a number of years ago. It almost felt like being at a royal coronations. People were pushing and shoving to get a glimpse of her, with comments on what she was wearing, her hair, etc. It was a fanatical fixation with the persona which I still see when women discuss doing her study. This is a major trait in our culture ( idolizing sports/movies/music "stars") that has had little trouble seeping into the church, especially in our youth.

                                Bottom line: In God I trust, everyone else get's frisked at the door!
                                Amen! I often have to remind myself that only the Bible is inerrant, everything else isn't, no matter how biblical they are in teaching. That includes Arnold Fruchtenbaum, Zane Hodges, Roy Zuck, Bob Wilkin, Lewis Chafer, Roger Oakland, those that I see teach very biblical things, and to worship God rather than worship them.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X