No announcement yet.

What do methodist believe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I attended a United Methodist Church for several years, but did not feel like it was "home" to me. I currently attend a Penecostal Church.

Comment

Hi guys, I grew up in the Methodist Church and the one thing I can agree with Mark on is the message of repentance of sins. Noone ever asked me if I wanted to ask Jesus into my heart and to forgive my sins. I never heard this until I attended an AOG church as an adult.
      sigpic

Comment

I would take a closer look at a country (very small) Methodist church if the situation developed that we were finally able to get out of the big city. It is likely to happen in the next 12 to 24 months and if/when it does I will be seeking a church that has kept to the Word. I've always expected it would be another independent baptist church but it would not surprise me to see God's people gathered in a Methodist, Presbyterian, etc.

Comment

I grew up United Methodist and I never even understood that Jesus was God in the flesh. I just thought he was some great man and that because of him I got Christmas presents and hunted easter eggs. When I was 16 some kids in High School told me about Christ and that is how I came to know him. I went to the Pastor and asked him why the Bible was not being taught in youth group and he told me it was because the youth director was not trained to teach the Bible. After this I became a Baptist. My family is still Methodist because that is just what the family has been for generations and I am concerned they are not getting the truth.

Comment

If your Methodist churdh belongs to the conference...or whatever the governing body of a Methodist church is called....and they must pay a tithe, or some sort of supportive portion of their income to the "conference"...then that money is spent to support the Palestinian peoples, and no money is spent to support Israel...Most churches do not financially support the Jews....but not one cent of my money will go to the Palestinian cause AGAINST God's chosen....NOT ONE RED CENT !!....I am attending an independent church , and they on a quarterly basis pass out a financial report....thankfully, no money to any governing body...much easier to see where their money goes.....

Comment

I grew up attending the United Methodist Church. When I was at Penn State, the pro-life organization on campus, of which I was a member, asked the University Methodist Church for permission to host a nationally known pro-life speaker in their facility. All the church needed to do was allow us to use the room--we were flying the speaker in and paying for accommodations, publicity, etc.. The church explained that they refused to allow us to use a room in their facility because they disagree with the pro-life position. A few weeks later the Hare Krishnas held a meeting in the same Methodist Church building. That's when I realized I'm not a Methodist.

Comment

I spent almost seven years in the United Methodist Church. Officially, it is moving towards apostasy, and I'm being kind. Really, they are already there.

Massive investment in the "social gospel," and anti-Israel, among other things.

The classic dead, lifeless church. Except that a fair amount of energy is dragging others toward unbelief.

Our grandson is 14 and now doesn't want to attend church (his family attends a UMC). This is very typical, and while this happens in other denominations of course, the UMC doesn't even give kids who leave the church a good grounding in the Bible.

The leadership is rotten almost to the core.

Comment

My wife grew up in a Methodist church, pre-United Methodist. She says when they became "United Methodists" it definitle changed. Prior to that they had tent revivals and such.
                  I attended one with her for about seven years, then the pastor retired, stayed away for awhile to let the new pastor get settled in, but then the retired pastor started showing up in a Sunday School class. The more he talked, the more apparent it became that he was really a "Doubting Thomas." He didn't believe in the virgin birth, for one thing. That was just the start. It got to the point that we were asking ourselves what else he's been preaching about that he didn't really believe.
                  The Methodists current motto is "Open hearts, open doors, open minds." Speaks volumes about what tigger said - the "many roads to God" mindset.

Like many mainstream denominations, they are becoming more and more of a "Sunday Morning Social Club". These churches are becoming Unitarians without admitting it.

Comment

Just so I get other opinions and don't wall myself up in my own, can you all say for certain that at the very least there are small, rural, conservative Methodist churches that are still on track with the 5 fundamentals (and then some, if possible)? I hope it's true that some of us know a few that are doctrinally holding steadfast; whether rural or urban. Knowing that they are in submission to their managerial corrupters would still bother me but like I said earlier, I might still attend and get serious under the right conditions. Thanks for any responses that get shared.

Comment

Originally posted by zoewmu View Post
                      Are you talking United Methodist or Free Methodist?

what is a Free Methodist exactly believe

cause I was thinking of checking the one we have here out sometime cause a friend of mine goes there

the UMC churches I avoid here in my town cause they are either very liberal and pro-universalism

or they are seeker-driven or a combo of both
                      For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21)

Comment

I attend a Methodist church most Sundays, and my Baptist preaching Uncle is the preacher . There wasn't a Methodist to fill the spot. With Methodist churches, you really have to just go and get a feel as to the congregation and the preacher; each is very different. As a whole the "Methodist church" is really messing up, and there may be a split in the future.

Thanks to sweeetlilgurlie on Narniaweb for the sig

Comment

My sister-in-law has attended the United Methodist Church all her life. I have attended a few times with her. Over the past year she told me that her church is changing. They have a VERY liberal assistant Pastor that half like and half do not like. Now the head Pastor is leaving and they are really having a time. She and others have had words with the assistant Pastor about his liberal views. She said they are afraid the church may split.

Comment

Originally posted by NotHomeYet View Post
                            Hi guys, I grew up in the Methodist Church and the one thing I can agree with Mark on is the message of repentance of sins. Noone ever asked me if I wanted to ask Jesus into my heart and to forgive my sins. I never heard this until I attended an AOG church as an adult.
                            Just my thoughts:

Methodist originally were Aminians -- obverse to the Calvinists, they believed that 1) you CAN receive Christ as Savior or do anything God commands you to do; 2) but that being the case, you CAN lose your salvation as well. 3) Therefore, they are into "perfectionism" either by a "2nd blessing" or a "attitude adjustment" (my term here) wherein you can attain to a "perfect" life.

Like many of the liberal churches, they don't preach much "expositorally" -- line-by-line, verse-by-verse. In fact, the ones I am familiar with preach mostly anecdotally on scripture. And recently their pastor was asked to read an OT passage at a funeral thereby refusing that man's dying wish (still got to inquire about that one).

Like the Reformers, I believe they don't invite people to receive Christ on account of they think that those who join the church are the ones who are saved -- kinda a "kingdom = visible church" thing wherein they are getting the "kingdom" ready for the return of the King, the 2nd advent, not the rapture. And like the majority of Protestants, they don't know much if anything about eschatology -- only that Jesus is coming back one day but not soon.

skypair

Comment

I grew up going to a United Methodist Church in the 60's & 70's. Even back then it was incredibly liberal. Looking back, what I remember about the message there would fit squarely under today's definition of "New Age". God is us, we are God, we're forgiven so can do whatever we want to do without repercussions, that kind of stuff. There was no emphasis on studying the Word. We went to a few feel-good classes and then were made members of the church. I spent the next 20 or so years believing I had a solid understanding of faith and a proper walk with Christ. Then I started reading Scripture and learned just how far I had been straying all that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
                                Just so I get other opinions and don't wall myself up in my own, can you all say for certain that at the very least there are small, rural, conservative Methodist churches that are still on track with the 5 fundamentals (and then some, if possible)? I hope it's true that some of us know a few that are doctrinally holding steadfast; whether rural or urban. Knowing that they are in submission to their managerial corrupters would still bother me but like I said earlier, I might still attend and get serious under the right conditions. Thanks for any responses that get shared.
                                Yes there are some out there because I go to one. But I do think it goes according to the Pastor. We have a good old fashioned one, along with an old fashioned congregation. I called a gal I know,( very good Christian and a very verbal Christian) that goes to our church, after reading this thread and asked her if she felt our church was as this thread described. I read a few of the posts and she said, yes that describes the Methodist conference bigwigs, but it does not describe our church. Our Pastor and congreation still stick to the Bible. we have that to be thankful for, should our Pastor ever retire, as he is old enough to do so, then who knows what we will get.

Comment

Working...
                                X